PDA

View Full Version : H&K MR762

JodyH
09-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Teutonic Uber-Gewehr

My H&K MR762 arrived today.
Before it came in I kept second guessing my decision to spend the H&K premium over buying a Colt 901LE.
All I can say after holding this rifle in my hands is I have zero regrets.
If it shoots as good as it looks, that'll just be icing on the cake.

This is hands down the best put together AR pattern rifle I have ever layed my grubby little paws on.
I have yet to find a single imperfection, every part in it looks like it had the personal attention of someone who actually gave a shit about doing their job right.
No Bushmaster monkey assembly here.
The bolt and bolt carrier group look like a work of machinist artwork, even the parts that nobody looks at appear to have had attention.
I almost expected to find a hand signed card from the artist who put it together somewhere in the box.

Of course it has the typical H&K over engineering, why use 3 parts when you can do the same job with 5?
Even the take down pins have take down plungers, and there are parts in the trigger group I've yet to figure out their purpose.
Speaking of the trigger, it feels every bit as good as my Geissele G2S two-stage (and that feels pretty damn good).
I also think there has to be a block of lead hidden somewhere because this thing has some mass to it, it could stand to lose a pound.
It weighs the same as my 14.5" AR, Suppressor and Meopta 1x4 scope combined.

I have 500 rounds of ammo and 3 20 round magazines.
My plan is to zero the Troy irons and give it a good shake down tomorrow.
I'll have some photos and shooting impressions tomorrow evening.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/2014-09-19%2022.06.22_zpsz0ospgh7.jpg

breakingtime91
09-19-2014, 11:11 PM
look forward to it jody, looks good man. What optic you gonna put on it?

JodyH
09-19-2014, 11:19 PM
Just a 1x Leupold Prismatic is the plan.
I'm wanting this to do the same job my 16" Colt 6920 does, but with more smack and barrier penetration than 5.56 gives me.
I spend a lot of time out in places where the two legged varmints favorite weapon is the "cuerno de chivo" (aka: AK-47) in 7.62x39 and I was wanting something more than 5.56 offers.

LittleLebowski
09-20-2014, 06:15 AM
I'd consider the Geissele rail to shed some weight.

JodyH
09-20-2014, 06:59 AM
It's on my radar.
I'm also looking at getting the barrel fluted or profiled as well.

The weight isn't obscene like a railed 20" HBAR, but it is noticeable.
The majority of the time the truck or the UTV will be carrying the weight anyway.
Maybe I just need to man and moustache up like nyeti.

Hunter Rose
09-20-2014, 07:46 AM

I did not think the Geissele rail was available for the MR762? Only Geissele rails I've ever seen are for the 416/MR556. MR762 rail is still just something they may get to in the future unless something. Has changed recently.

The HK rails are chunky, but they're not that bad. The real weight is all in the barrel and it's uber heavy profile, just like MR556. Reprofiling the barrel made a hugely noticeable difference on my MR556. Marvin Pitts does very good work at this.

LittleLebowski
09-20-2014, 07:52 AM
I did not think the Geissele rail was available for the MR762? Only Geissele rails I've ever seen are for the 416/MR556. Has this changed?

The HK rails are chunky, but they're not that bad. The real weight is all in the barrel and it's uber heavy profile, just like MR556. Reprofiling the barrel made a hugely noticeable difference on my MR556. Marvin Pitts does very good work at this.

Looks like you're right, no Geissele rails for the MR762.

NH Shooter
09-20-2014, 08:07 AM
H&K makes some nice rifles. A long time ago, before the 1994 AWB, I purchased a brand-spanking-new HK 91, along with a few extra HK 20-round mags and the HK bipod made for the rifle, all for around $750. Like a moron, I sold it shortly after the AWB ban went into effect because someone talked me into it. Needless to say, that is one I wish I never let go.

Good luck with the new stick, look forward to hearing some range reports.

Mike C
09-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Be careful JodyH you are starting to sound like a fan boy. Next thing you know you'll be complaining about scratches. Seriously though, congrats I'm a bit jealous.

JodyH
09-20-2014, 08:46 AM
First thing i'm going to do is throw it in a mud hole.
I've also already scratched it installing a Magpul enhanced trigger guard.
I'm a ham fisted armorer with Channel-Locks and a hammer.

BobM
09-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Very nice! I had considered getting one with my armorer's discount but decided not to. I did handle one at a nearby shop and like it quite a bit.

P30
09-20-2014, 09:37 AM
In my humble opinion, it's an awesome DMR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman_rifle). At least this is, what it's designed to be. Throws more than 2300 ft lbf (> 3100 J) of energy with sub MOA precision, self-loading. What my MR308 could do with me, an average shooter, behind it and a 2,5-8x36 Leupold scope on top of it:

http://forum.waffen-online.de/uploads/monthly_06_2014/post-37926-0-81300300-1401621347.jpg

These are two 5-shot groups. Distance: 110 yards (100 m). Accuracy: 0.7 MOA and 1.0 MOA (little high because it's zeroed at ~200 yards). I like this rifle.

I'm also looking at getting the barrel fluted or profiled as well.

Don't know, if reprofiling is a good idea. I suppose, it would decrease accuracy. Fluting could be good, but I don't know.

Kind regards from Germany http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/free_ger21.gif
http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/v1/designs/13618765,width%3D190,height%3D190/Bayrische-Schuhplattler-in-Lederhosen.png

P30
09-20-2014, 10:21 AM
An additional note to the weight:

I think, the higher weight (compared to a light assault rifle) is the price which the HK engineers had to pay in order to make it a designated marksman rifle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman_rifle). It's not meant to be an assault rifle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle). A DMR fills the gap between an assault rifle and a sniper rifle: The weight, accuracy, projectile energy and rate of fire of a DMR lies between these two kinds of rifles.

gtmtnbiker98
09-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Is hate to strong of a word!?

shane45
09-20-2014, 10:33 AM
On the fluting or dimpling, I looked into this when I had an MWS. For those that went forward with it, they reported the reclamation of weight was not as much as they had hoped it would be. It didn't seem a worthy pursuit. I fully agree with getting more womp and less deflection with the 308, but I also like having a greater envelope of down range energy. So you might consider looking at something like a S&B Short dot 1-4. Or one of the new 1-6's that have a daylight usable red dot. With the short dot I can run it 98% of the speed an accuracy I can an aimpoint, but when distance comes into the equation, the speed and accuracy (and target ID )far exceeds what I can do with an aimpoint.

shane45
09-20-2014, 10:56 AM
An additional note to the weight:

I think, the higher weight (compared to a light assault rifle) is the price which the HK engineers had to pay in order to make it a designated marksman rifle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman_rifle). It's not meant to be an assault rifle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle). A DMR fills the gap between an assault rifle and a sniper rifle: The weight, accuracy, projectile energy and rate of fire of a DMR lies between these two kinds of rifles.

I do not think weight enters into the equation to "make it" a DMR rifle. Each manufacturer has weight issues more likely as a design element of their system. For the HK, the piston system adds the weight. For the MWS, the barrel change system adds the weight. My KAC EMC is in the low 8lb range with nothing bolted on to it but certainly has the accuracy to be a DMR. The lower the starting point the better the ending point after you bolt on everything to make it a DMR. Optics, designators, bipods, PRS stocks etc etc are what are going to bring the real weight.

P30
09-20-2014, 11:46 AM
I do not think weight enters into the equation to "make it" a DMR rifle.
Not directly but indirectly. A DMR must be very accurate. A thicker barrel helps to make it accurate. Here in Germany, I heard the saying: "Kurz und dick ist des Schützen Glück." In German, this rhymes and means: A short and thick barrel is more accurate (because it does not oscillate as much as a long and thin barrel). But a thick barrel is heavier. So weight enters the equation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ULBtsnkR0

And a thicker barrel heats up less. I think, this helps to preserve high accuracy, when you shoot many rounds in a short time.

Duces Tecum
09-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Jody, in your post 5 you mentioned something about possibly sending the barrel for a re-profile.

Hunter Rose over at the HKPro.com forum http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk417-hq/147837-hk-mr556-no-longer-chunky-monkey-barrel-reprofile-complete.html recently posted: HK MR556 no longer a chunky monkey! (barrel reprofile complete)

LittleLebowski
09-20-2014, 12:56 PM
And a thicker barrel heats up less. I think, this helps to preserve high accuracy, when you shoot many rounds in a short time.

I believe the thicker barrels heats up slower but dissipates the heat slower as well. Everything is a tradeoff.

JV_
09-20-2014, 01:08 PM
A short and thick barrel is more accurate (because it does not oscillate as much as a long and thin barrel). But a thick barrel is heavier.This has an interesting tie-in to what the Benchrest guys were doing in "the Houston warehouse." It's not necessarily about short or long, they were searching for the barrel length that was just right. The goal was to pick a barrel that vibrated the most consistently when fired.

shane45
09-20-2014, 01:26 PM
P30, you are talking about a difference that is going to be at the very best 3/4 of one pound difference. But more likely less than 8 ounces. And just how much sustained fire do you think you will be doing with a DMR rifle? I agree with LL. And this is what drives fluted or dimpled barrels which yields more rigidity, less weight, faster cooling due to more surface area and less thermal mass I believe. So if I am to interpret you correctly, HK's secret to making this rifle a DMR over the others is a fat barrel? It seems to me all these high end 308's are using medium contour barrels. The one that is known for having a thinner barrel is the SCAR17. Clearly not targeted at a DMR role but I hear it is known for not wandering despite the barrel profile from a rapid firing schedule. My SCAR17 has had no mag/low mag optics for most of the time I have had it and its diet is surplus ammo so I haven't noticed personally. My EMC has not wandered even when I ran some rapid firing schedules with it. But I do not make a habit if this as it "could" negatively affect its accuracy premenantly.

P30
09-20-2014, 02:07 PM
So if I am to interpret you correctly, HK's secret to making this rifle a DMR over the others is a fat barrel?
No, I don't say it's HK's secret. It's only one ingredient of their DMR soup. And, as Little Lebowski has pointed out, it's a trade-off. All I want to say is: OK, more weight is more difficult to carry. But in this case, the heavier barrel has one and a half advantage, too. And you can save weight by choosing well the parts you bolt on (your post #16 (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?13475-H-amp-K-MR762&p=254598&viewfull=1#post254598)). This is why I mounted a light Leupold scope (http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/mark-4-mrt-riflescopes/mark-4-2-5-8x36mm-mrt-m2-illum-reticle/) with very light Nightforce rings (http://nightforceoptics.com/accessories/ultralite-rings/) on my MR308 (European version of the MR762).

JodyH
09-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Just finished a team 2 mile "jungle walk" style match where I was responsible for carbine targets between 100 and 400 yards.
Shot my suppressed BCM 14.5" M4 profile 5.56 AR topped with a 1x4 Meopta, I was rockin it right at 1 moa for the entire 100+ rounds, it was raining steady but luckily the wind stayed below 10.
The MR762 weighs about a 1/2 pound less than the rifle I carried and shot for 2 miles, so I think I'll live.

So... I only got 60 rounds through the MR762 immediately after the match.
I did manage to get a rough 50 yard iron sights zero that should have me on a paper plate at 100.
I'll get it to a real range with a bench tomorrow (today's the wife's B-day).
I also did a 20 round magazine of full retard to see how it handled recoil.
All I can say is... SWEET, that extra pound comes into its own when you're rocking it as fast as you can recover.
I can't wait until tomorrow morning when I'm going to give it hell.

7.62 is just sooooo much more fun to shoot than 5.56 it's ridiculous.

LittleLebowski
09-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Jody, just saying.....we all know a guy (http://www.defensivecarbineclub.com/matchresults.aspx?rowid=74f12cef-d77a-46ee-9233-86e293cb7c23) who can compete pretty well with a 7.62 AR (only lost to Jerry Barnhart who was using a 5.56 AR) :D There's your motivation.

JodyH
09-20-2014, 02:46 PM
I can definitely see where once I get used to the recoil impulse that I'll be able to rock the hate as fast as I can with my 12" 5.56.
I already have the warm fuzzies knowing i'll be toting 7.62 on the next camping trip to my place down by the border.

Doug
09-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Jody, just saying.....we all know a guy (http://www.defensivecarbineclub.com/matchresults.aspx?rowid=74f12cef-d77a-46ee-9233-86e293cb7c23) who can compete pretty well with a 7.62 AR (only lost to Jerry Barnhart who was using a 5.56 AR) :D

Looks like if it were not for Penalty Points on the barricade stage, F2S might have pulled it off.

GJM
09-20-2014, 06:10 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with .308 gas guns. I seem to always have some, and almost never carry them in the field after the new excitement wears off. Now I am down to two -- both SCAR-H with G triggers. I just sold my two never fired Larue PredatAR and PredatOBR unfired, after being educated here on PF. I would love to get an HK, and will put it on my over the winter list. That said, I doubt I will use it much. The thought of leaving a $4,000 rig frequently unattended in a vehicle doesn't pencil for me. Probably would use my my Arsenal folding 7.62x39 with a T1, which I load with Barnes bullet ammo, for the car gun. Ever since I got the .300 BLK AAC uppers, they seem so capable in the 0-200 yard range, and so handy in SBR or AR pistol form, it has ruined me for hauling around big rifles. Heck, my .375 H&H rifles are sub 8 pounds.

shane45
09-20-2014, 07:14 PM
P30, I guess what I am really driving at is your claim it was designed as a DMR. It was a multi role modular design. Could a version of it be pressed into a DMR role? Sure if the accuracy is there. What ingredients are you specifically referencing beyond the barrel? In other words if fundamental accuracy exists in the base system, its role and what is bolted to it is what is going to make is a DMR. For example an M14 is a battle rifle. Slap an optic and a bipod on it and put it in the hands of the S-DM and it is now a S-DMR.

TGS
09-20-2014, 07:41 PM
P30, I guess what I am really driving at is your claim it was designed as a DMR. It was a multi role modular design. Could a version of it be pressed into a DMR role? Sure if the accuracy is there. What ingredients are you specifically referencing beyond the barrel? In other words if fundamental accuracy exists in the base system, its role and what is bolted to it is what is going to make is a DMR. For example an M14 is a battle rifle. Slap an optic and a bipod on it and put it in the hands of the S-DM and it is now a S-DMR.

This probably should have another thread to its own, being this topic is one of those near-infamous internet gun forum debates.

shane45
09-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Agreed, sorry for contributing to the derail. Jody, the real fun is watching said hate's effect on the steel over the 5.56's :D

JodyH
09-20-2014, 09:20 PM
Agreed, sorry for contributing to the derail. Jody, the real fun is watching said hate's effect on the steel over the 5.56's :D
Yea, nothing like watching 5.56 make the steel sway gently at 300 yards and the 7.62 makes it flop and spin all the way around the stand.

JodyH
09-21-2014, 09:53 AM
One thing I've noticed with H&K "over engineered" firing pin safeties is there's no impact on the primer when chambering.
That means no worries about dead primers from repeated impacts if you have to load and unload the same round multiple times.

JodyH
09-21-2014, 02:50 PM
I now have 360 rounds downrange with zero lube, zero cleaning and zero malfunctions.
I took it out of the box wiped it off externally and started shooting.
I now have a solid 50/225 zero on the iron sights and was ringing the 8" gong at 200 yards "at will" with irons from all positions.
I started doing some 3 round strings at 10 yards to learn the recoil impulse and was hammering them off pretty quickly (no timer today).
I need to find out if a standard AR safety lever will work, I hate ambi safeties on AR's because they chew up my trigger finger.
Fun fun fun.

shane45
09-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Worth a look, the cutout keeps it from interfering.

http://www.knightarmco.com/portfolio/ambidextrous-safety-selector-switch/

Kyle Reese
09-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Jody,
When's it taking a mud bath?

Al T.
09-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Speaking of the trigger,

That was my concern. Had some time on an issued 416 and was not (!) pleased with the trigger. Glad it worked for you. :)

JodyH
09-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Jody,
When's it taking a mud bath?
Soon, very soon.
It's been raining hard pretty much all day today so there'll be plenty of mud to toss it in tomorrow.

JodyH
09-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Time to get the ACOG zeroed and then off to the closest mud hole for the Baptism.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/20140923_190430_zpsa99gvwft.jpg

JM Campbell
09-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Update, macht schnell!

Danke.

breakingtime91
09-28-2014, 09:24 AM
I'm trying to convince myself I would be better off with a bolt gun... not working

JodyH
09-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Update, macht schnell!

Danke.
600 rounds downrange, another 500 round case of PMC sitting on the floor ready to be turned into noise.

I've walked it out to 500M on 8" diameter steel and am smacking it around like it owes me money.
The .308 reticle in the ACOG is dead nuts on so far.

It's a H&K = boring, drama free range reports.

JodyH
03-04-2015, 10:22 PM
New additions to the MR762:
Geissele trigger
SWFA 3x15 scope in a GG&G mount
Atlas bipod

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/IMG_20150301_190957413_zpsuntulpum.jpg

With Hornady 155gr. OTM W/C ammo I'm getting MOA hits out to 900Y.
The SWFA scope is a freak of nature for $800, the glass is super clear and the elevation and windage tracking has been dead on. I've dialed in 19 MILs of elevation for 1200Y shots then back to zero and everything in between and it's tracked perfectly every single time.
We've been doing a lot of long range shooting lately and this setup makes MOA targets out to 900Y slam dunks as long as I read the wind right.

Very happy.
:cool:

Grizzly21
03-24-2015, 08:04 AM
How does it compare price wise to the Larue OBR?

JodyH
03-24-2015, 11:08 AM
No idea. LaRue mounts I like, their rifles never made an impression on me.