PDA

View Full Version : Pocket knives

Pages : [1] 2 3

MDS
09-17-2014, 09:01 PM
[Continuing from the Encumbrance thread in the Mindset forum.]

I don't know jack about fighting knives, so I haven't gotten a clinch pick or anything like that. I have an old H2O griptilian (I swapped out the bright orange scales for something brownish) because when I lived in Miami I used to go swimming in the ocean with it and no issues over a period of maybe 9 months. I've kept it because it does everything I ask. Including, for example, a little light chopping and processing of dead pine to build a little baby fire by the creek with boys after school this afternoon. I strop my griptilian probably once a week when I notice performance loss, and sharpen on a little diamond hone maybe once a month, and actually rework the bevel maybe once a year, because I use it so much for things that aren't nice to the blade. I also often carry a SAK in my pocket because my oldest boy is always asking to use it (he used it today to help scrape some bark off the pine) and I love that little thing but it feels like a chore to pull it out of my pocket. I use it a lot because it's literally 2 seconds to grab it, and 4 seconds to put it away. I use it often enough for little things that I would probably just tear with my hands if I had to pause for 30 seconds while I scrounge in my cargo shorts to find granpa's old schrade and fumble two-handed to open the blade.

So, I choose a folder clipped to my pocket. If there's another way to carry a convenient, no-maintenance knife that's good for opening mail, camp chores, light prying, etc., and doesn't mind getting dull, I'd like to hear options!

Jay Cunningham
09-17-2014, 09:08 PM
I usually wind up doing either the mini-griptilian in the pocket and the clinch pick on the belt, or just the p'kal in the pocket.

Up1911Fan
09-17-2014, 09:16 PM
I have a Griptilian or Mini Griptilian clipped to my front pocket and an ESEE Izula in CCC sheath at 11 o'clock. The Izula has TKC G10 scales and I have the versa sheath mounted on a Spyderco G-Clip as I didn't like the soft loop or kydex belt loop included with it. The Izula on the belt is a great option IMO.

MDS
09-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Which p'kal, and is it a decent utility knife? E.g., is it awkward to cut steak or make wood shavings or ...? I've never even held one, is why I ask.

I just did a little playing around and I think I'm going to try carrying the griptilian in the pocket without the clip for a while, see if it's any less convenient.

As for the Izula, that's a great little blade. I know it can certainly do what I need a knife to do! I may get a little kydex sheath made for the only small fixed-blade that I have (a skinner) and see how that works for me. I've never routinely carried a fixed blade, so should give it a shot just to see.

Jay Cunningham
09-17-2014, 09:24 PM
The Spyderco. Utility knife? Eh, it's not really built for that but of course I've used it in that capacity. I like at least a partial blade serration on a utility knife.

MDS
09-17-2014, 09:30 PM
I like at least a partial blade serration on a utility knife.

Interesting, why's that? I used to agree, but once I started honing the edge every so often, I find I prefer a plain edge most of the time. Once in a great while I'll find myself sawing through, say, hard plastic or something, and wishing for serrations. But 99% of the time I'd rather have a sharp plain edge. Plus serrations suck to sharpen (though I'm no expert and could very well be doing it wrong...)

ETA: I live a few minutes from the Spyderco shop, I'll have to drop in and check it out anyway. Thanks for the excuse. :D

Jay Cunningham
09-17-2014, 09:32 PM
There are just some things that seem to need the blade to "bite" into and a partial serration pretty much covers it for me. I love that little Mini-Griptilian.

Edited to add: try using a fine edge on a wet seatbelt sometime, or something constructed like it.

orionz06
09-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Which p'kal, and is it a decent utility knife? E.g., is it awkward to cut steak or make wood shavings or ...? I've never even held one, is why I ask.

I just did a little playing around and I think I'm going to try carrying the griptilian in the pocket without the clip for a while, see if it's any less convenient.

As for the Izula, that's a great little blade. I know it can certainly do what I need a knife to do! I may get a little kydex sheath made for the only small fixed-blade that I have (a skinner) and see how that works for me. I've never routinely carried a fixed blade, so should give it a shot just to see.

Candiru (http://www.amazon.com/ESEE-Knives-Candiru-Knife-Sheath/dp/B00FQ1YSGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411007616&sr=8-1&keywords=candiru) without scales may do the trick. Knife selection will be based on mode of carry and what you're willing to stuff in your pocket or on your belt.

If you are wearing an untucked shirt you can use the belt line and go Izula II, Candiru, or any other fixed blade. A Clinch Pick or Spyderco P'kal can certainly cut things but that's not the best tool for the job.

If you're cool with pocket carry the folder may be fine or a Candiru in a small sheath. If you don't wanna dig the MDTS Pocket Shiel (http://www.mdtstraining.com/moduloader-pocket-shield/)d is pretty cool but may be out of place lounging in jeans.

Totem Polar
09-17-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm a bit of a knife whore. If you want an easy-to-carry knife that will handle chores, it might be worth looking at a Strider PT CC (non-clip, rounded scales for the pocket). I also like small fixed blades; i've got a miller bros, alfa knife, and one made by a mod over at THR that I like. Speaking of THR, I was in on their Kim Breed Necker group buy; if you find neck knives comfortable, the breed large necker is about as good as it gets, IMHO. That's a cool little utility blade.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that my current EDC heartthrob is this:

I carry another small folder (delica, SAK) for opening mail because I haven't decided whether to keep the SMF or not. Total knife poser stuff, I know, but that thing resells for service pistol money.

NickA
09-17-2014, 09:55 PM
I just got my first Delica and can't believe I've never had one before. It's the full flat ground blade, so it's a slicing SOB. Great size for EDC, light and slim also. Might be a little bit light duty for some of your needs though it's perfect for mail, food, and the like.
I'll second the Pocket Shield as a very cool gizmo, though I haven't spent a lot of time experimenting since it seems to print in all the pants I wear most.

MDS
09-17-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm a bit of a knife whore. If you want an easy-to-carry knife that will handle chores, it might be worth looking at a Strider PT CC (non-clip, rounded scales for the pocket). I also like small fixed blades; i've got a miller bros, alfa knife, and one made by a mod over at THR that I like. Speaking of THR, I was in on their Kim Breed Necker group buy; if you find neck knives comfortable, the breed large necker is about as good as it gets, IMHO. That's a cool little utility blade.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that my current EDC heartthrob is this:

I carry another small folder (delica, SAK) for opening mail because I haven't decided whether to keep the SMF or not. Total knife poser stuff, I know, but that thing resells for service pistol money.

God. The last thing I need is another expensive hobby, but I feel myself getting into knives. (Cheaper than getting into 1911's, I guess. :p ) I'll experiment with pocket carry - if my fullsize griptilian is annoyingly big that way, I may get a smaller thumb-opening folder and try again. Either way, I'm definitely going to experiment with belt carry with something relatively small. As for neck carry, I've never tried it, it seems awkward... is it something you get used to...?

For a small fixed blade, I have a crappy little skinner that I recently bought on the cheap. With any luck, an Adventure Sworn Walker is in my not-too-distant future - I love their stuff.

Tamara
09-17-2014, 10:24 PM
I've carried a knife clipped to my pocket for some 20 years now, at jobs in gun stores, hi-rise office buildings, airports, and call centers. I'm not likely to stop because of this thread. :)

Sigfan26
09-17-2014, 10:31 PM
The knife clipped in my pocket, generally, approaches the cost of my pistol... Until recently. The new Emerson/Kershaw collaborations are excellent (specifically the cqc6). If I had ONE knife to select, it would be my old Buck/Strider collaboration.

orionz06
09-17-2014, 10:32 PM
The knife clipped in my pocket, generally, approaches the cost of my pistol... Until recently. The new Emerson/Kershaw collaborations are excellent (specifically the cqc6). If I had ONE knife to select, it would be my old Buck/Strider collaboration.

The Kershaw-Emerson CQC6 is amazing. $30 on Amazon Prime. I could lose 3 of them and still love the 4th for the total cost.

Malamute
09-17-2014, 10:37 PM
I didn't adapt well to a knife clipped to my pocket, but like it clipped to a Carhartt leg pocket. I generally carry several knives daily, a smallish Gerber clipped to the leg pocket, a Buck 112 in a 1911 mag carrier on my belt, a medium size Swiss Army, and a medium Leatherman both in the left front pocket. I use them all, if not daily, then often enough to be worthwhile to me to have them. When not in places I cant carry a gun, I tend to add a different pocket knife into the mix.

Its never taken 30 seconds to get a pocket knife out, but the one clipped to the pocket is really nice when needing one to operate one handed. The only time I've liked the serrations was opening up a hole in some drywall, otherwise they seem like more of a hindrance in anything I've tried to cut with them. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I did cut a nylon rope as thick as my thumb once with the large blade of the Swiss Army knife in one pass. I had sharpened it a day or so before, it cut it easily. Cold hands couldn't untie the knot, and needed to tie up the raft.

I'm surprised at how many people don't have a knife on them regularly. I've given knives to friends that didn't ever have one, and they still don't carry it.

Sigfan26
09-17-2014, 10:38 PM
The Kershaw-Emerson CQC6 is amazing. $30 on Amazon Prime. I could lose 3 of them and still love the 4th for the total cost.

They are amazing knives for the money. If they shifted manufacturing to Taiwan, used CPM s30v or S35VN, I'd pay $100!

SeriousStudent
09-17-2014, 10:43 PM

Agreed. I gave one to my daughter, and it's now her favorite knife.

I carry a Joe Watson HiTS knife horizontally on my belt, under an untucked polo. For utility chores like cutting tape or paper, I carry a small Swiss Army Knife in the watch pocket of my jeans. If dressing up, the same SAK goes in the outer suit or blazer pocket. It does not cause dizziness or fainting in the politest of circles.

And the SAK is even more disposable than the aforementioned Kershaw's. You can find them at gunshows for about $10, after they have been confiscated from their rightful owners by the Theatrical Security Agency, and then resold. I think I have 5 or 6 scattered about.

RevolverRob
09-18-2014, 12:41 AM
I've got so many knives, I am literally a knife hoarder...heck sitting next to the bed here are five knives on the nightstand and in the chest on top of the nightstand another...20. I have knives everywhere, I think if you're in my apartment, you can't be more than ten feet from a knife at any time. It's not that I intended it that way, it's more like I just have so many they end up spread around.

For me EDC is a small fixed blade, horizontal on the belt. Lately it's been a custom Sean Kendrick No. 1 in S30V with a 2.25" clip-point blade, but I have a stack of Ban Tang's on order. Because Chicago has a ridiculous 2.5" blade length limit, I've had to go to smaller knives. Static corded to the pocket of my jacket is a Utilihak in 440C. Stashed in my daily messenger bag is a Burchtree custom Kiridashi in 1095. Dropped in the bottom of the other pocket of my pants with cellphone is a Leatherman Micra with a little keyfob LED flashlight attached to it. That one serves for virtually all of the day-to-day tasks and I find it very handy. Sometimes, maybe half the time a clipped folder usually a Spyderco or Kershaw of some type. Lately though, I've moved away from them. I picked up the Micra last year and found it so handy as utility tool and then switched to a fixed blade as a potential defensive tool, the tactical folder sort of fell to the way side.

And that's just the knives...then there is the impact weapons, OC, and flashlights...

-Rob

Totem Polar
09-18-2014, 02:29 AM
Either way, I'm definitely going to experiment with belt carry with something relatively small. As for neck carry, I've never tried it, it seems awkward... is it something you get used to...?

I never got used to neck carry. I've decided it doesn't work for me. As to a small fixed blade on the belt, one cheaper way to try the concept out is the boker version of Mickey Yurco's custom all-purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/BOKER-PLUS-Yurco-Fixed-Blade/dp/B00BCFQ8CG

The sheath could be set up with a pull the dot belt loop from knife kits, sort of like some P-F'ers do with clinch picks (Jody H turned me on to that).

I'll probably have to delve into Yurcos next; as you note, it's another money drain hobby... :D

LSP972
09-18-2014, 05:22 AM
Plus serrations suck to sharpen (though I'm no expert and could very well be doing it wrong...)

The Spyderco 204 tool makes sharpening serrations a snap… except for the oddly-configured serrations I've seen on Cold Steel blades. That's another reason I don't like Cold Steel knives.

Serrations can be annoying… until you need them. Like Jay C stated, some things don't respond well to small plain edges.

My EDC is an old Spyderco Endura with a Black T fully-serrated blade that I used to keep clipped to my vest as a BUK when in uniform. It handles general cutting chores well, but I also keep an old SAK in my pocket for "fine" cutting.

I have a Spyderco Tenacious that really like, but it is hard on my trousers; the G10 scales eat fabric at the corners. Weird, because it doesn't seem to have any sharp corners, edges, etc.

I too have considered a small fixed blade, but I've been carrying a clipped folder, conveniently, for so long I really don't see the point for my needs.

NH Shooter
09-18-2014, 05:47 AM
Spyderco CPMS30V has been clipped to my jeans pocket everyday for the last 3 years or so - not so much for SD, just for simple utilitarian purposes. I like keeping it always sharp with the Syderco Triangle Sharpmaker, because a dull knife is about as handy as an inaccurate rifle. Since I work in an office environment with a "no weapons" policy, CC or a knife clipped to the pocket is a no-go, though I've carried the knife on occasion on dress-down Fridays (forgetting it was there) and haven't been called on it. Not ready to try that with the Walther though....

Only once I have I noticed someone noticing the clip of the knife while I was seated at a restaurant. It was a young guy who may have been carrying one himself, maybe he was just trying to figure out what knife I had. I generally unclip the knife and let it fall into my pocket when CCing.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/cc-1.jpg

Hambo
09-18-2014, 06:47 AM
I carried pocket clip knives and found they worked best with cargos or uniform pants. I didn't like carrying one in jeans because it made it difficult to get to anything else carried in the pocket. I've had Benchmades, Emersons, and CRKs, but now carry an old Buck 110 with a one hand opening device on it. It rides in a horizontal sheath left of my belt buckle, and leaves my right front pocket for my cell phone.

Unless everybody here carries a gun, I don't think clips are much of a tell. I see a lot of workmen with $10 pocket clip box cutters and knock off Spydercos.

Tamara
09-18-2014, 08:48 AM
I generally unclip the knife and let it fall into my pocket when CCing.

How often is that?

ford.304
09-18-2014, 09:02 AM
I carried pocket clip knives and found they worked best with cargos or uniform pants. I didn't like carrying one in jeans because it made it difficult to get to anything else carried in the pocket. I've had Benchmades, Emersons, and CRKs, but now carry an old Buck 110 with a one hand opening device on it. It rides in a horizontal sheath left of my belt buckle, and leaves my right front pocket for my cell phone.

Unless everybody here carries a gun, I don't think clips are much of a tell. I see a lot of workmen with $10 pocket clip box cutters and knock off Spydercos.

I find that the "watch" pocket on jeans is a great place to stash a folding knife and keep it out of the way of the main pocket.

I also found during Paul Sharp's class that it's a *miserable* way to store a knife you want to access in a fight, but then I never personally managed to find a *good* place to put a wave folder, so there's that.

I love my little Spyderco Ambitious as an EDC utility knife, and it's cheap enough I don't worry about losing it somewhere. But Sharp's class really showed I need to find something with a fixed blade that I'm comfortable carrying under Ohio's "we know it when we see it" concealed weapon laws.

theJanitor
09-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Normally I carry a strong folder, as I'm pretty rough on them (Emerson HD-7 or SnG). All are easily opened with one hand, and the Emerson can be opened on the draw, though I never use it that way. The BEST pocket addition in the last couple years has been the Rexford R.U.T., as it has saved me from ruining the edge on my folder. The Emerson in this pic has had the blade shortened from the factory cause I chipped so much off from the blade. I made a brass bead and lanyard for the R.U.T. so I can just throw it in my pocket and retrieve it easily. It's a titanium framelock utility tool that accepts standard contractor blades. It also has a screwdriver/prybar tip, and a bottle opener. I LOVE this thing.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5588/14667162231_0baa0e1ea9_z.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2871/10718508624_ca408eb57f.jpg

theJanitor
09-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Quite a few years back, I had raven make me a couple of knife holsters. I had one made for a mini-commander, and another for the HD-7. I wanted the ability to carry a knife on the left side of my body. But I didn't want to move the clip of the knife around, nor was I willing to displace the surefire in my left pocket. The raven guys made the holster with the same footprint as a 1911 mag holster, so it integrated well with the rest of their system.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/a-drake1911043.jpg

VolGrad
09-18-2014, 02:06 PM
I almost always have a knife clipped to my front pocket or my cargo pocket depending on what I'm wearing. I carry it for everyday utility and not as a defensive weapon. I prefer a deep pocket clip but some of my knives don't have one because either the manufacturer doesn't make one or there isn't a suitable aftermarket clip available.

My favorites are (in no particular order) ...
Benchmade Grip or Mini-Grip
DPX HEAT
Zero Tolerance 566BW
Zero Tolerance 0350OR
Spyderco Delica ZDP-189
Spyderco Caly 3.5
Spyderco Dragonfly ZDP-189
SAK Farmer in orange
Leatherman Juice S2 in orange
Shaerk Knives neck knife (carried in my pocket because it's very flat and carries behind my iPhone in my pocket)

breakingtime91
09-18-2014, 02:16 PM
I always have my mini grip with me. Pretty much everyone here and where I grew up has a pocket knife on them for one reason or another. If I'm carrying my LCR (super hot days) then I have a izula worn at 11 o clock in a dsg sheath.

Clusterfrack
09-18-2014, 02:37 PM
I've got a pretty good collection of carry knives but have mostly been carrying a P'Kal or Kershaw Emerson CQC5.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/18/7f420c184eda23ff0807b59495254af6.jpg

BobLoblaw
09-18-2014, 03:13 PM
I would love to carry a small fixed blade daily. Unfortunately, WV knife laws are a gray area. You can open carry a fixed blade for hunting but you can't conceal one for self defense but maybe it doesn't count if it's less than 3.5" or if you have a Concealed Weapons Permit. However, WV issued me a Concealed Pistol License instead of a CWP soo I don't even bother. :sigh:

vaspence
09-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Hi, I'm Spence and I have a knife problem. That said, I usually carry two, a pocket clip and a smaller pocket knife.
My regulars for EDC are:
Surefire Delta
CR large Sebbie
Spyderco Salt
GEC 48, 72, 73
Vic Alox Pioneer

MDS
09-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Just another random stop after school today. I'll probably keep carrying the sak for the boys but I can't bring myself to give up on a bigger blade for myself...

Abuse? Absolutely. But the griptilian has handled it well so far.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/18/8775dc6edad0d7b9644882e6351ce063.jpg

My 3-year-old's first shavings. (Daddy helped...)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/18/1a87514d987c985ce3fd12259f71437c.jpg

This was at a town park so no fire allowed, but the boys love to help and watch with prep so we made some anyway.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/18/60606665ad585fd8e72b93a8a6c07f87.jpg

23JAZ
09-18-2014, 03:33 PM
I've got a pretty good collection of carry knives but have mostly been carrying a P'Kal or Kershaw Emerson CQC5.

How is it opening the Kershaw-Emerson? I saw the video showing how it opens as you're pulling from your pocket. But I'm a little skeptical. I just picked up a Boker Yurco and like it a lot but I'm used to carrying my Kershaw Blur and I love the Kershaw assisted opening. It feels a little weird carrying a fixed blade after years of carrying a folder.

23JAZ
09-18-2014, 03:37 PM
I would love to carry a small fixed blade daily. Unfortunately, WV knife laws are a gray area. You can open carry a fixed blade for hunting but you can't conceal one for self defense but maybe it doesn't count if it's less than 3.5" or if you have a Concealed Weapons Permit. However, WV issued me a Concealed Pistol License instead of a CWP soo I don't even bother. :sigh:
Man, I would think if WV allows you to carry a firearm concealed, a knife wouldn't matter.

Default.mp3
09-18-2014, 04:13 PM
How is it opening the Kershaw-Emerson? I saw the video showing how it opens as you're pulling from your pocket. But I'm a little skeptical.

The wave feature is pretty dependable, IMO, if you take the time to practice it. I liked it enough that I had my ZT (which replaced my Emerson CQC-10 for most things) modded with one:
http://i.imgur.com/G3IcICg.jpg

For some knives, you can add Ian Wendt's Surf's Up:
http://i.imgur.com/hK70Ybbl.jpg

I know some people have found the Spyderco stick-thingies to be more reliable and less destructive of pockets. Or, if the knife has a big thumbhole, you can use a zip tie to emulate a wave, which works pretty well, too, IME with an Endura trainer.

I personally carry 5 blades on me: 2 on my Victorinox Swisstool Spirit S (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VY6E78/?tag=svpply01-20) that are never used, a Benchmade 940-1 (http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-940-1-Osborne-Black-AXIS--21326), the aformentioned modded ZT 0561 (http://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0561), and a Ban Tang Clinch Pick.

The Benchmade is used for every day tasks, and also serves as my kitchen knife (I've never owned a dedicated kitchen knife, have always used my folders). It is incredibly light, due to the carbon fiber scales, and also has great edge retention, due to the S90V (although I have noticed rust spots here and there if I fail to take care of it). The ZT is set up for left side reverse grip draw, and is split between heavy duty roles and self-defense. The CP is a dedicated self-defense blade, carried centerline.

The Emerson is carried only when I'm doing VFD stuff, as it is set up for a right side reverse edge:
http://i.imgur.com/1nPuFNAl.jpg

EricP
09-18-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm in the two knife camp. For work, it's a Spyderco Sage 2 and either a Leatherman Micra or Squirt. All other times it's a small fixed blade, either a Clinch Pick or an ESEE Candiru and one of the Leathermans. Having one of the small Leathermans allows me to use a small and unintimidating blade if circumstance dictates, as well as, having the other Leatherman tools. I started this after flicking open a larger Spyderco and handing it to our Materials Manager to open a box. It wasn't received well.

RevolverRob
09-18-2014, 04:55 PM
I'm in the two knife camp. For work, it's a Spyderco Sage 2 and either a Leatherman Micra or Squirt. All other times it's a small fixed blade, either a Clinch Pick or an ESEE Candiru and one of the Leathermans. Having one of the small Leathermans allows me to use a small and unintimidating blade if circumstance dictates, as well as, having the other Leatherman tools. I started this after flicking open a larger Spyderco and handing it to our Materials Manager to open a box. It wasn't received well.

I had a similar experience. I replaced my Spyderco Delica with a small SAK after handing it to a colleague to trim a loose thread on her shoe. The experience was...uhh interesting. Even though I think of the Delica as a small knife, some folks don't see it that way. I picked up the Micra last year when it looked (and I hoped) the TSA was going to allow Micras and small SAKs to fly in the cabin again, and I discovered it's about as handy as a tool can be. So versatile and unobtrusive that I don't even leave home without it anymore. And to be honest, I haven't found a daily cutting task that can't be handled by the Micra even with that diminutive blade.

-Rob

MDS
09-18-2014, 05:10 PM
On the subject of serrations. I find them mostly annoying. Jay mentioned cutting stuff like a wet seatbelt - I've been able to do those kinds of things by starting with the tip. Once the cut is started it's easy to continue.

But I realize I spend a lot of time in the woods, and I find myself swimming in the ocean much less, so my use case is different now. A couple of years ago it would probably have been a lot easier to make me see serrations as utilitarian.

I really need to figure out a smallish fixed blade setup. The more I think about it, the more sense that makes.

NH Shooter
09-18-2014, 05:11 PM
How often is that?

Unclipping the knife or CCing??

Wondering Beard
09-18-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm a knife hugger and not at all an expert. I've carried two folders since the late 90s because, as I consider the knife mostly an emergency tool, I wanted to have one accessible to at least one hand if things went wrong (like a car accident or a fight).

I came down to having the one clipped to my weak hand side be the one more dedicated to defense so that I wouldn't get confused if I had to draw my gun, though both knives could be used for defense.

I have always wanted a small fixed blade knife for carry because of its natural strength, so now that I got the Watson HiTS , I carry it horizontally and still have a folder clipped on my weak hand side.

Still with all the thinking, and accumulating of knives, I've done over the years, their primary use is cutting open boxes and the like. Nevertheless, I'm happy with my set up.

theJanitor
09-18-2014, 05:50 PM
I should add that I use a Strider HAK carried round my neck. It's a last-ditch effort tool, and good for not much else.

Other fixed blades that get alot of pocket time are a Graham Razel, a Tom Halloran 3finger, and a Strider SLCC. I'm getting a custom sheath made for the SLCC right now. It should be back in a week or two

Haraise
09-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Unclipping the knife or CCing??

You gave the impression that those two were linked, so... yes?

Tamara
09-18-2014, 06:08 PM
You gave the impression that those two were linked, so... yes?

Er, what she said.

You said you unclip the knife when you CC. So how often do you have to do that?

NickA
09-18-2014, 06:21 PM

Funny, I've got two of the same knives - the smaller Benchmade HK and old Spyderco Terzuola.

And +2 or whatever on the Micra, always have mine along with a larger blade and sometimes a SAK. If the tools opened from the outside it would be perfect; tried the newer versions that have that but the shape of the tools doesn't seem to work as well.

Clusterfrack
09-18-2014, 07:09 PM
How is it opening the Kershaw-Emerson? I saw the video showing how it opens as you're pulling from your pocket. But I'm a little skeptical. I just picked up a Boker Yurco and like it a lot but I'm used to carrying my Kershaw Blur and I love the Kershaw assisted opening. It feels a little weird carrying a fixed blade after years of carrying a folder.

It took me a few weeks of practice to get reliable opening in all my pants, and in various positions. The little Kershaw Emerson works surprisingly well if I twist the blade side toward the outside of the pocket. Now, I like it better than my assisted or flipper.

I prefer a tip down, edge in grip, so the P'Kal really shines for that. I had to swap the clip to the left side on the Emerson.

Clusterfrack
09-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Funny, I've got two of the same knives - the smaller Benchmade HK and old Spyderco Terzuola.

Great knives aren't they? The HK Snody is pretty close to perfect for what it is.

ReverendMeat
09-18-2014, 10:31 PM
I'd been doing Kershaw Leeks for years, probably bought five of them so far 'cause they keep getting lost or stolen. Great low profile knife, slim and smooth sided so it doesn't take up much space and won't tear your pocket up either. Best assisted opening knife I've ever tried, though my latest one got borrowed/lost/stolen and I've since been using a Benchmade 940. It's sturdier than the Kershaw and keeps an edge better; I mainly use it for cardboard boxes and as a makeshift screwdriver and the thing holds up incredibly well. I felt like I'd baby the Kershaws but I pretty much abuse the 940 and it does just fine.

Also nice that I live about 15 minutes from Benchmade so I can get it cleaned, fixed, or sharpened on my lunch break if I wanted to.

NH Shooter
09-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Er, what she said.

You said you unclip the knife when you CC. So how often do you have to do that?

I can only remember unclipping the knife once when carrying.

Rich
09-23-2014, 02:08 PM
I like my green Swiss army knife and use it a lot. I also carry a Socom Elite that I bought back in 2000 . Its held up pretty well other than breaking coil spring. I'm pretty easy on my knives now a days.

Rich
09-25-2014, 08:13 AM
I'd been doing Kershaw Leeks for years, probably bought five of them so far 'cause they keep getting lost or stolen. Great low profile knife, slim and smooth sided so it doesn't take up much space and won't tear your pocket up either. Best assisted opening knife I've ever tried, though my latest one got borrowed/lost/stolen and I've since been using a Benchmade 940. It's sturdier than the Kershaw and keeps an edge better; I mainly use it for cardboard boxes and as a makeshift screwdriver and the thing holds up incredibly well. I felt like I'd baby the Kershaws but I pretty much abuse the 940 and it does just fine.

Also nice that I live about 15 minutes from Benchmade so I can get it cleaned, fixed, or sharpened on my lunch break if I wanted to.

I like the Leeks but I hate assisted side openers.

da6dspanburg
09-26-2014, 07:22 AM
here are my current EDC Pocket knives.

da6d

Rich
09-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Does anyone like Tactical side openers with blade 4inches or over.

I wanted the D2 by Lonewolf it had a 5inch blade version but for some reason I never could come up with the cash.

Now I do like smaller 2-3.5inch side openers? But I like the blade to be pretty wide

Clusterfrack
09-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Rich,

I have a ZT0560BW that I like a lot. It's a big knife (3.75" blade) and I wouldn't carry anything longer.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/04/7yva5utu.jpg

Seven_Sicks_Two
09-28-2014, 10:36 PM
I've carried the ZT 0400ST since early '09. It's slick on one side, so it doesn't tear up my pockets and it is big enough to handle most chores without being obnoxiously large. Heck, I've even batoned with it to chop firewood in a pinch. That being said, I've been lusting after a CRK Sebenza for months now. I may have to buy one just to see what all the hype is about.

45dotACP
10-01-2014, 10:55 PM
I did carry a ZT 0350 for a while, but the job I'm at doesn't take kindly to weapons of any sort, so now I just carry sharp wit, foul language, and a hard head.

But that 350 still goes with me everywhere that isn't work. I used to be a knife fiend for a while, but after getting that blade, I just didn't see the reason for any new knives.

Of course, in the inverse of this thread, I did have a Cold Steel Spartan for a while, and that's the knife I most regret buying. Trying to get that out of a pocket without guillotining your fingertips was a real trick, and I'd sooner carry a butterfly knife than to lug around something that fills the entire pocket up, may or may not take off your distal joint, and sags your pants on one side....what can I say, I saw some guy put a 300 lb weight on the knife and thought it might be something I'd need. You know, because reasons...

LHS
10-02-2014, 11:03 PM
For about 15 years, my everyday folder was an old Benchmade Elishewitz Stryker. It was a high school graduation present from a good friend, and I loved that blade. Finally, I decided that it had too much sentimental value to risk losing, so I ordered one of the Emerson/Kershaw CQC5Ks. I like that knife quite a bit, but I'd prefer it about 10-15% larger. I'm tempted by one of the CQC6s, but for whatever reason I like having handle scales on both sides of the knife. I'm still wishy-washy on the Wave. I haven't gotten it to work reliably and repeatedly yet. Then again, I don't see my pocket knife as a primary, secondary or even tertiary weapon. I have a pistol, BUG, and a china pick for that.

Totem Polar
10-03-2014, 12:55 AM
^^^coincidentally, I just dug my Stryker out of the safe to tote again for a while.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/Sidheguitarist/DWC/CAM00723_zps8ff6c0fd.jpg (http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Sidheguitarist/media/DWC/CAM00723_zps8ff6c0fd.jpg.html)

LHS
10-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Nice. I've got a similar combo, except mine's a black blade, and a Submariner instead of the Omega. Great knives and I wish Benchmade still made the manual version.

^^^coincidentally, I just dug my Stryker out of the safe to tote again for a while.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/Sidheguitarist/DWC/CAM00723_zps8ff6c0fd.jpg (http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Sidheguitarist/media/DWC/CAM00723_zps8ff6c0fd.jpg.html)

Tamara
10-04-2014, 07:12 AM
For about 15 years, my everyday folder was an old Benchmade Elishewitz Stryker.

My Stryker was probably my most often-carried knife. (I confess I'm a knife knerd with a pile of knives, but I'd go for months at a stretch grabbing the Stryker off that pile.) But I'm pretty enamored with the waved Spyderco Delica I've been carrying for a while now.

I picked up one of the Chicom-made Kershaw/Emersons, a little CQC-5K, and I might give it a whirl. I have to admit to being addicted to the wave.

LHS
10-04-2014, 08:48 PM
My Stryker was probably my most often-carried knife. (I confess I'm a knife knerd with a pile of knives, but I'd go for months at a stretch grabbing the Stryker off that pile.) But I'm pretty enamored with the waved Spyderco Delica I've been carrying for a while now.

I picked up one of the Chicom-made Kershaw/Emersons, a little CQC-5K, and I might give it a whirl. I have to admit to being addicted to the wave.

I may just need to practice with it more, but thus far it's more annoying than anything else. It tends to partially open, whether I want it to open fully or not at all. I think part of it is that my pants have a double-thickness reinforced spot for knife clips, and it's hard for the wave hook to get purchase. It opens much more consistently when drawn from, for example, gym shorts. But it seems like whenever I just want to take it out surreptitiously (like, for example, in the office break room when I need to poke holes in the cellophane over a frozen lunch), it snaps open or partially open. And when I want it to come out and engage, it either misses entirely or comes partially open.

It's funny, though, what a creature of habit I am. I carried that Stryker every day for 15 years, except when in formal dress. I have one of the blue-titanium Elishewitz Sentinels for wear with a suit and tie.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tCLzqtSa_w0/TxPJ6zXy95I/AAAAAAAACsM/-7alZxJ6wCI/s1600/BM886.jpg

LHS
10-04-2014, 08:52 PM
I grew up carrying Spyderco knives, mostly Delicas and an Endura. I got turned off because I broke God knows how many of the plastic pocket clips, and went to one of the only other options at the time, the Gerber EZ-Out, because it had a metal pocket clip. Sure enough, I bent it badly. When I tried to bend it back, it snapped. Cue cursing ($35 was a lot of money when I was in high school). The Gerbers never seemed to hold an edge like the Spydercos either. I still have one of the old broken Enduras (eventually the lock snapped in half, maybe bad metallurgy?). I should dig that out and send it in for replacement one day.

MD7305
10-04-2014, 10:24 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/04/1d46e863a15d588078dca1eaac945584.jpg

This is my EDC Delica Wave. The blade used to be pointy on the end. I love this thing! It's ridden in my left pants pocket everyday for about 6.5 years. I thought I lost it some time ago. After cursing and tearing the house apart (the wife says I had tears in my eyes) I found it in the depths of my lazy boy. -Celebratory man screams lasted for hours-
When I do the "you got everything pat down" every morning, it starts Delica, wallet, keys....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich
10-05-2014, 07:09 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/04/1d46e863a15d588078dca1eaac945584.jpg

This is my EDC Delica Wave. The blade used to be pointy on the end. I love this thing! It's ridden in my left pants pocket everyday for about 6.5 years. I thought I lost it some time ago. After cursing and tearing the house apart (the wife says I had tears in my eyes) I found it in the depths of my lazy boy. -Celebratory man screams lasted for hours-
When I do the "you got everything pat down" every morning, it starts Delica, wallet, keys....

stick type sharpeners can round off the point / tip

MD7305
10-05-2014, 10:41 AM
stick type sharpeners can round off the point / tip

I do use the Spyderco Sharpmaker so I'd say that explains it.

Redhat
10-05-2014, 01:40 PM
For about 15 years, my everyday folder was an old Benchmade Elishewitz Stryker. It was a high school graduation present from a good friend, and I loved that blade. Finally, I decided that it had too much sentimental value to risk losing, so I ordered one of the Emerson/Kershaw CQC5Ks. I like that knife quite a bit, but I'd prefer it about 10-15% larger. I'm tempted by one of the CQC6s, but for whatever reason I like having handle scales on both sides of the knife. I'm still wishy-washy on the Wave. I haven't gotten it to work reliably and repeatedly yet. Then again, I don't see my pocket knife as a primary, secondary or even tertiary weapon. I have a pistol, BUG, and a china pick for that.

Talk about semi-old school, I carried a Benchmade Walter Brend Combat Talon for many years until I retired it. Tried some lower end Spyderco's but the clip kept loosening so I retired them too. Later on I went with a RAT model 1 folder but when I retired from the military I figured I didn't need one that large anymore. These days (last few years), I've been using a Kershaw Skyline and SAK silver alox Soldier...have the Soldier on me always.

BobLoblaw
10-05-2014, 07:33 PM
I've been through a lot of knives. These cover 99% of my needs. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/06/magupyqa.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/06/eba5u9er.jpg

joshs
10-05-2014, 07:35 PM
I've been through a lot of knives. These cover 99% of my needs. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/06/magupyqa.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/06/eba5u9er.jpg

What deep carry clip is that on your Delica?

BobLoblaw
10-05-2014, 07:40 PM

On bladeforums, Casey (username theoriginalspaceman) makes these out of titanium. Awesome guy.

JV_
10-05-2014, 07:50 PM

Looks like one of these:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1117033-Spyderco-deep-carry-titanium-clips-for-Delica-Endura-Paramilitary-2-Police

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1157311-Deep-carry-low-ride-titanium-clips-for-Spyderco-knives-Delica-PM2-Manix-etc

BWT
10-05-2014, 08:19 PM
I carry a Zero Tolerance 0350 everywhere.

Except California, which I'm going to Wednesday. I feel weird without a knife.

I can't leave the blade clipped on my pocket. However, I still carry it and use my car keys to open boxes in important places.

Rich@CCC
10-10-2014, 02:50 PM
I've carried the ZT 0400ST since early '09. It's slick on one side, so it doesn't tear up my pockets and it is big enough to handle most chores without being obnoxiously large. Heck, I've even batoned with it to chop firewood in a pinch. That being said, I've been lusting after a CRK Sebenza for months now. I may have to buy one just to see what all the hype is about.

You won't be disappointed! It took me a while to get right with the idea of spending that much on a folder but it was money well spent. Far from a tacticool blade, it's everything a folding knife should be and more.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/IMG_5480_zps4ab68703.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/IMG_5480_zps4ab68703.jpg.html)
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/IMG_4732_zpsaa765a88.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/IMG_4732_zpsaa765a88.jpg.html)
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/IMG_8510_zps182f9e44.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/IMG_8510_zps182f9e44.jpg.html)

This beauty is my go to for any time I'm semi dressy(anything other than jeans and Tees).

I'm also extremely pleased with the Para Military 2 from Spyderco.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/misc/IMG_4916_zpsb3cd895c.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/misc/IMG_4916_zpsb3cd895c.jpg.html)

I just picked this one up on a whim. If OH ever lets me carry an auto folder, it'll be at the top of my carry list.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/IMG_4954_zps11b7a8c5.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/IMG_4954_zps11b7a8c5.jpg.html)
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/IMG_7331_zps351bbaf8.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/IMG_7331_zps351bbaf8.jpg.html)

Stupid name but a heavy duty work horse knife!

LHS
10-12-2014, 01:02 AM
That's a gorgeous Sabenza.

I picked up a Microtech OTF a while back, mainly because I live in Arizona and I can. It's a neat knife, but I gave up carrying it fairly early on. The glass breaker prevents me from thumb-capping it, catches on clothing, and stabs me when reaching past it to get my keys out of my pocket. Plus, if I have to use my knife at the office, I can generally get away with slowly opening a folder with both hands and concealing the overall size of the knife by choking up on it. With the Microtech, I had to 'snikt' it out and poke holes in my frozen lunches in the break room with a double-edged dagger blade. I got a few odd looks doing that, and figured discretion was the better part of valor.

WDW
10-12-2014, 01:35 AM
A good buddy of mine just gave me an OTf microtech ultra tech & I gotta say, I REALLY like that knife.

Rich@CCC
10-12-2014, 07:38 AM
I'm not thrilled with dual action OTFs in general. They're cool and some are actually beautiful, but the design is inherently weak and I tend to brutalize my carry knives. The Sebenza gets a great deal more pampering and is not generally used as a utility knife but anything else gets beat up daily. I do have a couple cheap DA, OTFs just 'cause but they don't get any pocket time, even around the shop.

I did find a Dalton single action OTF(similar to the one pictured below) at a Knife and Gun show a few weeks ago that would be a good hard use blade but it got snatched up before I got back to pick it up. My loss.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/DaltonKilroy2BlackOTF_zps4d7b817e.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/DaltonKilroy2BlackOTF_zps4d7b817e.jpg.html)

Eli
10-14-2014, 04:34 PM
I carry two knives daily. One is a GTFOM knife that thankfully, so far, has never been used....it's a small, Wharncliffe CRKT or a small Wharncliffe SOG.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/fixedblade.jpg

I also carry a folding knife (clipped) for daily "cuttin stuff" type chores...I honestly can't remember the last time I made it through an entire day without using it. 99% or the time it's a Benchmade Mini-Barrage, although I sometimes swap it out for a Spyderco of some name or another.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/knives.jpg

TORCH2J
10-14-2014, 07:06 PM
How do you like that SOG? I just passed up on one and am thinking about going back to get it.

Eli
10-14-2014, 08:41 PM
How do you like that SOG? I just passed up on one and am thinking about going back to get it.

Less and less as time goes on. With it's size and weight, it's super convenient to carry, but the grip design means that you're rather limited on HOW you can use it. Basically, putting your index finger through the front ring, gripping the rest of the handle with your middle and ring finger, and using it as a semi-punch knife is the only motion I can come up with that doesn't strip it out of my hand or break my fingers.

I've found that I much prefer the tiny CRKT (although I imagine any "traditional" blade/handle knife would do) to the Brous/SOG blade.

Rich@CCC
10-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Just added another one I can't carry yet to the collection

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/96fa879d-5d68-40cc-8de9-e24ab66b4b84_zps81401592.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/96fa879d-5d68-40cc-8de9-e24ab66b4b84_zps81401592.jpg.html)

Irelander
10-29-2014, 08:11 AM
I clip a mini-griptilian to my strong side pocket every day. It has the Spyderco-ish thumb hole which I love and a partially serated blade. I keep it sharp with the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

I sometimes also carry a Spyderco Ulize AIWB. It is a big knife but I really like it. I'm in the process of acid washing the blade as I am not a fan of shiny blades.

I don't think I will ever buy a folding knife that does not have a thumb hole. Far superior to the thumb stud in my opinion.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47624012/Ulize%20with%20Griptilian.jpg

RoyGBiv
10-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Anyone have any hands on experience with the Boker Kalashnikov auto?

http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/side-opening-automatics/boker-auto/boker-kalashnikov/boker-kalashnikov-01kals75-black.jpg (http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov--7353)

Any thoughts on dagger point vs. drop point would be appreciated as well. I'm a relative knife n00b.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-29-2014, 02:14 PM
An interesting nuance - I have several Delicas with the fiberglass grips - even a training one. I can open them easily with either hand. Then I bought a stainless model as it looked pretty. I have a very hard time opening it with my left hand. It seems just not to settle in a position that allows easily leverage in an automatic grip. I can wiggle it around and then open it. I find it strange and should research it more.

Now, weirder - I'm left handed but carry a knife on either side. I should be able to open it with my dominant left but it's hard. I can open it easily with my right. But I practice knife use right handed for the most part as I keep it away from my gun side as the primary knife location.

The stainless seems a touch longer and is thinner. So I practice with it but it still is problematic as compared to the fiberglass ones.

Cookie Monster
10-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Irelander,

Tell us about acid washing. Interested.

Cookie Monster

theJanitor
10-29-2014, 10:02 PM
Got this incoming. I've been eyeing them up for awhile and I finally snagged one at a price I'm happy with. AdV Butcher:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/ADV2.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/ADV1.jpg

Default.mp3
10-30-2014, 11:45 AM
The last folder I'll be buying in awhile. The Mnandi will only come out for when I'm dressed nicer, while the 940 will remain my EDC cutter.
https://i.imgur.com/dnsKDbU.png

Irelander
10-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Irelander,

Tell us about acid washing. Interested.

Cookie Monster

Well its a pretty simple process and one I only recently learned about. It gives the blade a rough antique look to it which I like.

You drop the blade in some ferric chloride (acid) (http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-16oz-pcb-etchant-solution/2761535.html) (most often used for etching PC boards) and let it sit in the acid for about 10 - 20 minutes. You have to make sure to protect the pivot point of the blade with some nail polish. Put nail polish on anything you do not want etched. The acid will etch the steel and turn it a dark color. The longer you leave it in the acid the deeper the etch and the darker the color. To stop the etching process, drop the blade into some cold water and then rinse it really good. Don't get any acid on you or your clothes...it will dye anything an orangish color. So now you have a dark blade.

Then you literally stone wash it. Grab a sturdy plastic container and select some medium sized round smooth stones to put in the container. Spray some WD40 in the container and (gasp!) toss your blade in there too. Screw on the lid and tape it up good so it doesn't come off and the WD40 doesn't leak out. Then shake the dickens out of the container. Some do it by hand, some use a tumbler, some wrap the container in a towel and throw it in their clothes dryer. When you're done, you get something like this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47624012/SergeEDC.JPG
photo from Serge Knives

I bead blasted my blade first to give it a more textured look. I have heard that it is a good idea to dull your blade a bit before the stone washing. Your edge will get trashed and its better to start dull so the steel doesn't get chipped. Once you are done, give it a good sharpening and your good to go. I haven't done it yet but I've read a lot about it and I'm getting ready to try.

Cookie Monster
10-30-2014, 08:35 PM
Sweet. There maybe some ferric chloride in my future.

Thanks for you time,
Cookie Monster

Up1911Fan
10-30-2014, 09:27 PM
I just ordered one of the Benchmade Axis Styker's to hopefully replace my Griptilian for EDC, the Stryker appear's substantially thinner while still retaining the features I like.

Irelander
10-31-2014, 09:05 AM
I just ordered one of the Benchmade Axis Styker's to hopefully replace my Griptilian for EDC, the Stryker appear's substantially thinner while still retaining the features I like.

The AXIS lock is a beautiful thing.

Preacher
11-28-2014, 10:46 AM
I finally followed my grandfathers advice and started carrying a knife. Now I carry a ZT301, and a Spyderco Resilience all the time. I would like a Strider, but if I had that kind of money then it would go on another gun!!

Rich@CCC
11-28-2014, 01:26 PM
I just picked this one up:

RAT Worx, MRX
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/3689c20f-4d0b-4a81-a1b8-d0aad5f8d2c3_zps872ce1c0.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/3689c20f-4d0b-4a81-a1b8-d0aad5f8d2c3_zps872ce1c0.jpg.html)
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/f97c9113-d73e-4c32-b9ba-afabb9ba7fcd_zps3904bb89.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/f97c9113-d73e-4c32-b9ba-afabb9ba7fcd_zps3904bb89.jpg.html)

It's incredibly well made, ergonomically comfortable, aesthetically pleasing and tree topping, hair splitting sharp out of the box.

Luke
11-28-2014, 03:10 PM
I was thinking about picking up a almar sere2000. Are they worth the ~250 or is there a better knife for that price range or a little more?

ScotchMan
12-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Most days a Spyderco PM2. Love this thing, my review here: http://everydayloadout.com/spyderco-para-military-2.html

I keep it sharp with an Edge Pro Apex. After the initial sharpening, I just run the 1000 grit stone over it every few weeks to restore the razor edge. It never gets duller than "better than factory."

http://everydayloadout.com/images/img_3241.jpg

When not packing that, it's a Mini-grip with a deep carry clip from another Benchmade model. I also sometimes carry a Ka-bar/Becker BK11 (the Becker Necker).

http://everydayloadout.com/images/edgepro1.jpg

Most days, there is also either a SAK Alox Cadet or Deluxe Tinker as well.

EDC photo from a few months back:

http://everydayloadout.com/images/img_3305.jpg

Rich
12-06-2014, 07:27 AM

My Mom bought me a buck 110 when I turn 14 and I carried that heavy sucker up in my 20`s.

My first and favorite Benchmade I bought in 1996 a Large 4inch serrated blade M2000 REFLEX.

Its UGLY as hell !!

The handle has a birds beak and offers several different holds. Who ever design that knife knew what he or she was doing that's for sure.

The 4inch blade is a flat ground . I happen to like thin flat grounded blades. For me they are easier to sharpen and for some reason seem sharper.

Rich
12-06-2014, 07:30 AM
I'm not thrilled with dual action OTFs in general. They're cool and some are actually beautiful, but the design is inherently weak and I tend to brutalize my carry knives. The Sebenza gets a great deal more pampering and is not generally used as a utility knife but anything else gets beat up daily. I do have a couple cheap DA, OTFs just 'cause but they don't get any pocket time, even around the shop.

I did find a Dalton single action OTF(similar to the one pictured below) at a Knife and Gun show a few weeks ago that would be a good hard use blade but it got snatched up before I got back to pick it up. My loss.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/DaltonKilroy2BlackOTF_zps4d7b817e.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/DaltonKilroy2BlackOTF_zps4d7b817e.jpg.html)

I carried a Microtech Halo serrated Tanto just to turns some heads.

I sold it for a AR15 upper.

Trooper224
12-06-2014, 03:55 PM
I find the Kershaw Blur to be an excellent, general purpose knife. Small enough to be convenient but large enough to fit a variety of tasks.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSK3EfRq2nuQo4STKJT8IRt0EMN1xAuu E0JmsSieJjp3JD5ssUK6w

Suvorov
12-06-2014, 04:29 PM
I find the Kershaw Blur to be an excellent, general purpose knife. Small enough to be convenient but large enough to fit a variety of tasks.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSK3EfRq2nuQo4STKJT8IRt0EMN1xAuu E0JmsSieJjp3JD5ssUK6w

I've been carrying a blur for about 4 years now. Been very happy with them. I prefer the non serrated drop point to the tanto or serrated blade.

Rich@CCC
12-06-2014, 06:59 PM
I was thinking about picking up a almar sere2000. Are they worth the ~250 or is there a better knife for that price range or a little more?

Any AlMar is worth having but I think you can do a little better than $250.00 for the 2000. Should be around $205.00

Sigfan26
12-06-2014, 07:45 PM
I carried a Microtech Halo serrated Tanto just to turns some heads.

I sold it for a AR15 upper.

A HALO will turn heads anywhere (I've got an early 1997 manufacture model). The ultimate BitchinCoolGuy accessory.

Rich@CCC
12-06-2014, 08:23 PM
You wanna' talk about a head turner?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/IMG_4954_zps11b7a8c5.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/IMG_4954_zps11b7a8c5.jpg.html)

When this beast snaps open the people in the next county say "What the hell is that?"

45dotACP
12-08-2014, 12:09 PM
I'll admit, I haven't bought a (folding) knife in years since buying my ZT, but those little Kershaw/Emersons are tempting.

I only hope I'll be able to stop after relenting :D

Up1911Fan
12-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Just received my first Emerson, a Mini Commander. Initial impression's are positive. I see more Emerson's in my future.

Seven_Sicks_Two
12-10-2014, 07:19 PM
I've had quite a few folders over the years, but I've spent the last 5 years carrying a ZT 0400ST. There was nothing wrong with it, but I wanted to buy myself a "nice/high-end" knife for myself for my birthday in October. Fortunately, one of my shooting buddies is a certifiable knife whore. After playing with a ton of mid-tech knives, I ordered myself a Chris Reeve Large Sebenza 21. After carrying it for the last 6 or so weeks, I finally understand what all the hype is about. It might not be the "coolest" knife out there, but damn... it's nice. Originally, I rationalized the cost by telling myself that the Sebbie was going to be the last folder that I'd ever buy. Now, I'm already scheming to buy another.

Rich@CCC
12-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Now you need a Sebenza 25 and Umnumzaan to keep your 21 company! You'll never stop getting new knives. Face it, we're all addicts. I've had to start just rotating inventory with a few other knife nuts to keep the expenditure reasonable.

Seven_Sicks_Two
12-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Now you need a Sebenza 25 and Umnumzaan to keep your 21 company! You'll never stop getting new knives. Face it, we're all addicts. I've had to start just rotating inventory with a few other knife nuts to keep the expenditure reasonable.

Ha. I was thinking of a Sebenza 25 and a Small Damascus 21 for when I'm feeling fancy.

Crusader8207
12-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Just picked up a Benchmade Mini Griptilian as an edc pocket carry. For chores like opening mail and cutting boxes it is the perfect size.

RoyGBiv
12-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Ha. I was thinking of a Sebenza 25
I'm a knife neophyte so I'm asking this honestly, not tongue-in-cheek...

What makes that folder worth the asking price (~$450)?
Tool steel is nice, but it ain't THAT expensive.

orionz06
12-11-2014, 10:32 AM

I've asked the same thing before...

Tassels and friendship beads attached to them seems to be prevalent too.

Tamara
12-11-2014, 10:55 AM

Because it makes orionz06 get all rageagainstthemachine-y, that's why. ;)

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag421/Tamara_Keel/baersebenza2_zps8bba1cc0.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/Tamara_Keel/media/baersebenza2_zps8bba1cc0.jpg.html)

David Armstrong
12-11-2014, 11:12 AM
I started using Spyderco knives about 30 years ago and haven't seen any pressing reason to change. My usual is either a Delica or an Endura, depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going.

Seven_Sicks_Two
12-11-2014, 01:38 PM

The best thing I can compare it to is the 1911. Really minor improvements in aesthetics or functionality add significantly to the price tag once you get past a certain point. At first, I didn't really "get it" either. But, it was incrementally "nicer" enough in enough areas for me to justify the expense.

Irelander
12-11-2014, 02:07 PM
I've really got a hankerin' for a Zero Tolerance blade. I think I might just grab one if Santa is good to me. I'm liking the 0300BW. Any other recommendations in the ZT lineup?

http://zt.kaiusaltd.com/images/uploads/products/7406/0300bw_profile_1020x400.png

Seven_Sicks_Two
12-11-2014, 02:29 PM
I've really got a hankerin' for a Zero Tolerance blade. I think I might just grab one if Santa is good to me. I'm liking the 0300BW. Any other recommendations in the ZT lineup?

http://zt.kaiusaltd.com/images/uploads/products/7406/0300bw_profile_1020x400.png

The 0300 is a beast. You might also check out the 0350. However, the 350 is a liner lock as opposed to the frame lock of the 0300. Theoretically at least, it's not as strong. That being said, I've used my old liner lock ZT 0400 to baton/chop firewood in a pinch.

wilco423
12-11-2014, 02:42 PM

I really like my 360.SKDs. Thought I lost the first one so I bought a replacement, then found the first one in a coat pocket. One for work, one for EDC! The liner locks are pretty stout - I haven't been able to make one even come close to disengaging.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/11/febe3be35c0fce484ff13e7145272363.jpg

Rich@CCC
12-11-2014, 04:31 PM
The ZT 0350 is very nice. Slimmer and slightly smaller than the 0300 with a similar blade profile. The assist is much faster as well. I like the 0300 also but it is a full pocket!

The Hinder designed 0560 is a great size and while not assisted, the flipper action is smooth and quick.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/misc/IMG_0978_zps749a202e.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/misc/IMG_0978_zps749a202e.jpg.html)

BobLoblaw
12-11-2014, 10:51 PM

I don't know if there's a stronger folder on the market than the 0300.

Irelander
12-12-2014, 08:18 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Charlie Foxtrot
12-12-2014, 09:22 AM
I always carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek, partially serrated, spear point, clipped to my strong side front pocket, point up. I feel nekkid without it.

I've handled high-zoot knives and like them - not hundreds of dollars worth of like, though.

RoyGBiv
12-13-2014, 07:49 AM
I was thinking of a Sebenza 25

Coincidentally... Here's one for sale at a discount ($350)
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75386

md8232
12-13-2014, 12:15 PM

If you don't want to buy a knife that spendy, take a look at the Spyderco Sage 2 with Reeve Integral Lock.

I have #5 of 25 25th Anniversary Sebenza. You could buy a very nice 1911 for what it cost.

md8232
12-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Because it makes orionz06 get all rageagainstthemachine-y, that's why. ;)

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag421/Tamara_Keel/baersebenza2_zps8bba1cc0.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/Tamara_Keel/media/baersebenza2_zps8bba1cc0.jpg.html)

Nice P model Tam. I had Chris sign the blade on one of mine.
Have you even seen a H model? They are massive.

Rich@CCC
12-13-2014, 09:24 PM
RGB, Is that your Sebenza for sale?

That's a great price, but I'd want to see it in person before I jumped. There are too many really good looking fakes out there. The guy selling may not even know it's fake. BTW, I am not implying that this is counterfeit, just warning potential deal seekers that there are a lot of fakes on the market.

Coincidentally... Here's one for sale at a discount ($350)
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75386

RevolverRob
12-14-2014, 01:02 AM

Well, when one of your best friends grinds it up for you and builds it exactly to fit your hand and only charges you 500 bucks for it, it starts to make sense. Let me put it another way - if you understand why someone would spend money to have Hamilton Bowen build them a revolver, or Bill Riehl or Jason Burton build them a 1911, or Wayne Novak or Jim Garthwaite build them a Browning HP - then you understand why knives that cost a whole heck of a lot more than 450 bucks exist.

I've asked the same thing before...

Tassels and friendship beads attached to them seems to be prevalent too.

Yea, there is a tassel and friendship bead attached to the custom Emerson folder in my safe and I don't mind at all.

Now don't get me wrong. For every custom knife I have, I have a production Spyderco I usually carry. The Delica and Native still reign supreme as functional day-to-day knives in my opinion.

RoyGBiv
12-14-2014, 10:17 AM
RGB, Is that your Sebenza for sale?

That's a great price, but I'd want to see it in person before I jumped. There are too many really good looking fakes out there. The guy selling may not even know it's fake. BTW, I am not implying that this is counterfeit, just warning potential deal seekers that there are a lot of fakes on the market.
Its not mine Rich. But it is local to me. If I can be of any help vetting its bona fides let me know.

Hizzie
12-14-2014, 01:26 PM
For fixed blade carry I rock some version of the Joe Watson HiTS knife around my neck. I tried horizontal belt carry but found in training it hung up my shirt and fouled my draw.

In my pockets was usually a Strider SnG, SMF or BM Griptillian. I prefer opening hole to thumb stud and despise the wave. Currently I run a pair of plain jane Endura 4's for a left and right option. It was a toss up between the Endura and the BM550 since both had opening holes, were reversible and trainer versions available. Cost won out.

rsa-otc
12-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Two of my favorite versions of items came free to me when I became a life member of the Police Marksman Assoc. in the late 70's. My favorite Maglight was the 5 C cell model. Loved that thing plenty of light and wasn't to thick in the barrel to be cumbersome when handling with a handgun. More to this thread was the pocket knife that came as well a Lakota Falcon. Loved that thing it was the right size, kept am edge like there was no tomorrow and I loved the blade lock on it. It rode in my packet as my EDC for almost 15 years before it disappeared. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a pocket clip.

http://www12.ocn.ne.jp/~creek1/media/knives/lakota/n/lako_275a_falcon_blmyk_01.jpg
My version wasn't as rounded on the edges of the handle.

I have been looking for years for something to replace it, but just like little red riding hood, to large, to little etc.

Then I won a HK model Benchmade in a Pistol-Forum drawing that was the cats meow. It was a tad large but other than that I loved it. Unfortunately the screws loosened up and the roller on the assisted opener disappeared and I haven't been able to get Benchmade to respond to my emails.
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608046758230820130&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Recently I came across a made in China Kershaw Blackwash Zing with a non serrated drop point that I picked up at Dick's for about $25. I said what the hey and gave it a try. It's been a couple of months and so far I'm impressed. It's the right size, held an edge and works as advertised. My only complaint is the pocket clip is sort of minimalist and can be hard to clip on heavy jeans fabric.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z417/rsa-otc/Mobile%20Uploads/0331f76b-4ba8-4e77-8aa0-49e0f79283ab.jpg

While serrated blades have some utility cutting cords and such, I find that non-serrated blades work best overall for me allowing me to use more strength and control cutting closer to the hilt of the blade. At some point I want to try a Tonto point but right now drop points are my preferred blade profile.

stingray
12-16-2014, 11:18 AM
I started carrying Cold Steel Recon knives a few years ago. They are incredibly strong, hold a decent enough edge and if I end up loosing one, I am not out $$$. The "Tri-Ad Lock" seems to work as advertised. (Lock seems to be cop-proof as we haven't seen it fail).

Mr Pink
12-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Over the years I've gone through plenty of knives (Spyderco, SOG, Emerson, Benchmade, CRKT, etc...). Most I have either lost, been confiscated or broken. Fortunately for me I never paid for a single one (they were all issued).

Today, I find it hard to pay a lot of money for a knife that I will probably break or loose. I would rather have several quality knives at an "economical price point" and am a big fan of the Kershaw and Spyderco's Byrd knives. For about $60 I can carry three folders; left hip, right hip and right front pocket. The one in the pocket is more of a work knife, but the two on my waistline are more for defensive use.

Quality Kershaw and Byrd knives can be found on Amazon for about $15-$30.

I really like the idea of Izula in the AIWB, but I'll have to look more into it and hopefully find something at a better economical price point ;)

Irelander
12-17-2014, 10:58 AM
My quest for a ZT knife has lead me to a stash of factory seconds. The seller has many knives for sale but the two I am interested in the 0300BW and the 0561. The 0300BW has the SpeedSafe assisted opening. The 0561 has the KVT bearing flipper system. For EDC use which is better?

Clusterfrack
12-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Irelander, I prefer the 0561 by far. I think it is a mechanically better design.

RoyGBiv
12-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Irelander, I prefer the 0561 by far. I think it is a mechanically better design.

The Kershaw Thermite is slightly smaller (3.5" vs. 3.75) version of a very similar Hinderer design. For $30.
Downside, no texturing on the steel side of the grip. Upside, looks like a more concealable 4-way pocket clip, nearly 7 for the price of 1.

Clusterfrack
12-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Yeah, you pay a bit more for titanium, Elmax, and all that good stuff...

Crawls
12-17-2014, 12:05 PM

Ditto. Functionally, the flipper opens up just as quick as an auto. I have a 0561BW and it is a great knife. The pocket clip is probably the best suited clip for edc of any of my pocket knives. It rides deep in the pocket and the black anodizing keeps it a bit subdued.

RoyGBiv
12-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Yeah, you pay a bit more for titanium, Elmax, and all that good stuff...

and there's that... ;)

Irelander
12-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Is the 0561 as robust a design as the 0300?

PetRats
12-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Make mine a "Buck Light"

clip-on back pocket (http://www.screencast.com/t/CsuQszQ0)
1.6oz (http://www.screencast.com/t/q58rX7cRJuVR)
2 3/4" blade (http://www.screencast.com/t/AxE9R5dqF)

Clusterfrack
12-17-2014, 02:07 PM
The 0561 is bombproof. It's a massive knife, and more robust than any other in my collection. I don't think the 0300 adds anything useful with regard to function or durability, but it felt more beefy to me. The speed safe is definitely NOT a more robust design. A Google search will turn up some issues requiring repair. (Search for: "zero tolerance speed safe knife torsion bar rattle broken"). It's still a good knife... but IMO just not equal to the 0561.

Irelander
12-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the info.

StraitR
06-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Since PF is one of the few boards I actually enjoy visiting everyday, and as a knife-nut, I'd like to rekindle the thread as to get my daily knife pron fix here. I've been a knife guy since First Blood hit the screens in 1982, I was 8. Took me a while to sharpen my skill set of acquiring and hiding knives from the parental units, but I became quite proficient at it. Thirty-three years later and I still have one or more in the pocket on a daily basis.

Blessed with a Sebenza 25 last year for Fathers Day, and it's been a great folder. I work with scientists, who can be a bit sheepish, but after some proper break-in they now ask me to cut crap around the office.

Daily coffee for a "coffee and knives" thread on another board...
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7774/18328435206_b4491ecaa7_c.jpg

Starbuck drive-thru (maybe I drink a lot of coffee)
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7478/15589122248_cebc166aa2_c.jpg

I hate when gas stations remove the little tabs that hold the pumps on...
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2898/14560579296_feee863e37_c.jpg

My CEO is a massive gun nut so we have good bathroom reading material...
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2935/14742246283_b295dfc0c4_c.jpg

theJanitor
06-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Most recently, a Dwayne Dwyer CUstom SMF, and a Large TNT by Tom Mayo. The mayo makes me want to sell every other blade I own

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/1BE31954-AE9D-40EF-9030-5FB6E8BEE2FE.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/grandprixboy/media/1BE31954-AE9D-40EF-9030-5FB6E8BEE2FE.jpg.html)

Dagga Boy
06-02-2015, 09:48 PM
I have known Tom for ages......I wish I had bought a knife from him before he got famous.

LittleLebowski
06-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Ohhhh...dat Mayo

StraitR
06-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Ohhhh...dat Mayo

Seriously. Amazing. Any shots of it deployed would be appreciated.

StraitR
06-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Didn't make it back from lunch in time to edit my last post, but today I'm toting a CQC-8...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7764/18239408340_3aabf16a2b_c.jpg

MD7305
06-03-2015, 04:29 PM
I picked up one of the Kershaw-Emerson collaborations last fall. It replaced my aging Spyderco Delica Wave mainly cause I wanted something different. For a $30 knife I'm really liking it. I carry on my left side and the pocket clip required longer screws which weren't include and emails to Kershaw were never answered. I got some screws from Fastenall that were perfect. I recently found a trainer that matches the live blade and it fortunately included longer screws. For a solid, cheap EDC utility knife I'm very satisfied.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/03/eb0267516414bce8aa4c57c76d9bf082.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/03/9165b50fbaa2d9d2c130b8ce67f28db3.jpg

theJanitor
06-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Seriously. Amazing. Any shots of it deployed would be appreciated.

Here's a pic With an Emerson HD-7 for reference. The HD-7 is a fraction of an inch shorter than stock. Every time I've sent it back for a refresh, they've had to shorten it while resharpening. The TNT is nearly 10 inches long when deployed

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8819/18247451458_00923eda38_c.jpg

StraitR
06-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks Janitor, that Mayo is quite impressive.

8 again today...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8859/18466990578_54ce65a425_c.jpg

Savage Hands
07-03-2015, 11:24 PM
My Father's Day present.
http://i.imgur.com/UQTzokk.jpg

theJanitor
12-10-2015, 03:29 AM
Terzuola ATCF. Though I just got it, it was probably from around 1999. And a King's Gunworks Colt.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/EB0EEC2B-B4EA-4EB6-9C0F-075F2FF237B5_2.jpg

41magfan
12-10-2015, 08:02 AM
An impeccable box-cutter ......

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/633/wN3m00.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/hlwN3m00j)

LSP552
12-10-2015, 03:10 PM
A Delica with partial serrations and a SAK Spartan. Those two can handle tasks ranging from sticking people to opening a bottle of wine.

Wondering Beard
12-10-2015, 04:55 PM
For fancy dress, I sometimes carry one of these two:

Crawford Kasper folder (photo taken at the knife show where I bought it)

Custom Emerson CQC45 (bad old IPhone photo)

WDW
12-11-2015, 12:00 AM
http://youtu.be/_U26amtzY5wHere's a new collaboration from Jason Brous...looks pretty good

KenpoTex
12-11-2015, 05:25 PM
As a few others have admitted, I'm a bit of a knife hoarder...however, the ones I actually carry are pictured below.
L-R:
-Benchmade SOCP, acid-washed to darken it after I partially stripped the finish while sharpening it all the way (it only comes with about 3/4" of the tip sharpened).
-Clinch pick
-Old Endura from before they offered them with a wave. This clip design beats the pants off the new ones with the frigging tiny screws.
-Spyderco Superleaf, probably my favorite Spydie ever in terms of ergonomics and overall design. I really like the pinky-hook and the deep choil on the handle; I'm just not a fan of the choil on the blade.
-Kerahaw/Emerson cqc-6, a new addition that I bought because they were on sale for $25 and I wanted to try one out...so far it's pretty slick. It waves out of the pocket into forward grip pretty easily. It takes more work than the any of the Spydercos to wave out of a front pocket into reverse grip due to the smaller hook. Still, it'd be a heckuva bang for your buck at twice the price.
-Spyderco P'kal
-Newer Delica that I used as a first attempt at acid-etching. I think it came out pretty good.

Here's a shot of the other side:

The SOCP and Endura are my on-duty knives, along with a Cold steel Safekeeper III push-dagger (the stubby one).

The rest of the time it's the clinch pick worn centerline plus whichever one of the folders fits best with my wardrobe.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

41magfan
12-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Dude, that etching job on the Spyderco looks pretty good!

KenpoTex
12-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Dude, that etching job on the Spyderco looks pretty good!
Thanks, I saw a bunch on USN that folks had done so I decided to try my hand. One of these days I'll get around to trying a more structured design or logo.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ssb
01-11-2016, 08:57 PM
I decided I needed to get back into the habit of carrying a pocket knife. I've used the Clinch Pick a few too many times as a utility tool.

http://i.imgur.com/eAkdTuP.jpg

Ghetto wave on the trainer since the waved version is apparently discontinued. Swap the clip to the left side and the knife opens pretty handily into reverse grip/edge out orientation, so it can double as a defensive tool as well. So far I'm happy with it.

deputyG23
01-12-2016, 10:59 AM
I quit carrying a knife after I was assigned to IA and had two jails to do interviews in daily.
Our bosses do not want knife clips visible when in uniform. I am back in uniform now and need to go through my small stash of knives and figure out what would work.

ssb
01-12-2016, 10:34 PM
I quit carrying a knife after I was assigned to IA and had two jails to do interviews in daily.
Our bosses do not want knife clips visible when in uniform. I am back in uniform now and need to go through my small stash of knives and figure out what would work.

I don't know what's in your pockets, but the Raven/MDTS pocket shield with a knife clipped on it works well for keeping the clip off the pocket while still keeping the knife in a consistent place.

deputyG23
01-13-2016, 12:18 PM
I don't know what's in your pockets, but the Raven/MDTS pocket shield with a knife clipped on it works well for keeping the clip off the pocket while still keeping the knife in a consistent place.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went back in uniform in October and went out in mid December with a back issue. I have time to figure out a lot of things right now...

DI1
01-13-2016, 07:27 PM
You can easily just clip your folder to your pants (aiwb) behind your duty belt.
This would allow you to easily access the folder and keep it hidden.

StraitR
01-13-2016, 10:53 PM
You can easily just clip your folder to your pants (aiwb) behind your duty belt.
This would allow you to easily access the folder and keep it hidden.

No duty belt for me, but this is how I carry a second folder (Endura, no wave) or primary blade in NPE's like Disney. The clip sits behind the belt buckle. The gap between your pants and body created by an AIWB pistol let's you get your thumb behind the knife quite easily for deployment with either hand.

Irelander
01-14-2016, 11:54 AM
No duty belt for me, but this is how I carry a second folder (Endura, no wave) or primary blade in NPE's like Disney. The clip sits behind the belt buckle. The gap between your pants and body created by an AIWB pistol let's you get your thumb behind the knife quite easily for deployment with either hand.

I've gotten into some concerts with a folder that way. Put the knife at 12:00 behind the buckle. They expect the metal detector to go off when they wand over your buckle.

backtrail540
02-18-2016, 09:37 PM
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/20160218_124401_zpsfpfyx41w_edit_1455849233616_zps ldfmqkes.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160218_124401_zpsfpfyx41w_edit_1455849233616_zps ldfmqkes.jpg.html)

Kwaiken and Gayle Bradley

SteveB
04-16-2016, 01:27 PM
This clip, no-clip thing; I tried no-clip on a mini-Grip, but really prefer having the knife in the same spot all the time. Pants/shorts that have a double front pocket work well to reduce the knife's profile; these are Mountain Khaki shorts:

JCS
04-16-2016, 02:10 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160416/2ccd1f2c91ba8174649f13b8c9daadc1.jpg I'm usually carrying one or both of these.

Rich@CCC
04-16-2016, 08:04 PM
A couple new editions to the collection:

A Dalton Red Scale Lock. Another that I can't carry but had to have.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/6a6cc305-f669-4c2d-825b-39cc0cd2eeca_zpsipwk7z1t.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/6a6cc305-f669-4c2d-825b-39cc0cd2eeca_zpsipwk7z1t.jpg.html)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/aa0563d6-2de9-43ec-b522-517306ea029c_zpswlr2lvsn.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/aa0563d6-2de9-43ec-b522-517306ea029c_zpswlr2lvsn.jpg.html)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/3818dfd3-c182-4def-a16b-39fd4b8a536e_zpsewffutue.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/3818dfd3-c182-4def-a16b-39fd4b8a536e_zpsewffutue.jpg.html)

And a ZT 0452, Sinkevich. Carbon fiber and titanium frame, S35VN blade. This one has taken over as my daily carry. Long and slim, it fits the pocket perfectly and deploys quickly.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/c30b61f1-835c-4ca0-9d28-18aa6eb63b27_zpsr1vku5lg.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/c30b61f1-835c-4ca0-9d28-18aa6eb63b27_zpsr1vku5lg.jpg.html)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/a80fd554-d8b9-46e5-a1ca-8b70f978e01f_zpstwwlivtg.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/a80fd554-d8b9-46e5-a1ca-8b70f978e01f_zpstwwlivtg.jpg.html)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/9c588bb3-52ec-4a9a-849b-4f1d2422281d_zpsshq2k5bg.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/9c588bb3-52ec-4a9a-849b-4f1d2422281d_zpsshq2k5bg.jpg.html)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/be3fe0a3-3200-45c3-b718-b59b1fc1217e_zpskgjc4ypx.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/be3fe0a3-3200-45c3-b718-b59b1fc1217e_zpskgjc4ypx.jpg.html)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/5ab46a29-78c8-4d7e-8f83-71afeeb5248c_zpsgy6ym3mr.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/5ab46a29-78c8-4d7e-8f83-71afeeb5248c_zpsgy6ym3mr.jpg.html)

Digiroc
04-18-2016, 08:04 AM

Top is a Boker push button, then two Smith & Wesson logo knives top one is spring assisted, Kershaw slim folder. All but the Boker have clips on them which I use as a money clip when carrying.

Digiroc

Totem Polar
05-13-2016, 02:26 PM
So then, one of the cities I find myself in regularly has this oddball city code regarding knives (no state restrictions on folders/blade lengths):

...Illegal to carry concealed upon his person any knife (other than an ordinary pocket knife)

The question then arises: am I afoul of the law if I carry a truly extraordinary pocket knife, such as my new-to-me Daniel Winkler carbon fiber/titanium flipper?

:D

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/Sidheguitarist/DWC/WinklerSAS_zpsvzst9e0j.jpg (http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Sidheguitarist/media/DWC/WinklerSAS_zpsvzst9e0j.jpg.html)

BobLoblaw
05-13-2016, 03:03 PM
So then, one of the cities I find myself in regularly has this oddball city code regarding knives (no state restrictions on folders/blade lengths):

...Illegal to carry concealed upon his person any knife (other than an ordinary pocket knife)

The question then arises: am I afoul of the law if I carry a truly extraordinary pocket knife, such as my new-to-me Daniel Winkler carbon fiber/titanium flipper?

:D

Damn, that's a classy looking knife! WV has strange knife laws as well. You can carry a pistol open or concealed without a license but any knife with a 3.5" blade or larger (while not hunting/fishing) or any knife with a spring-opening operation (assisted openers included) are technically illegal to carry. 98% of the state is forest and streams yet pols intentionally make these boobytrapping laws. Not sure if they're trying to empower LEOs or screw over the general public. Enforcement is rare from what I've heard.

okie john
05-13-2016, 11:34 PM
Just picked this AG Russell Medium Barlow Lockback (http://agrussell.com/knife/3886) up to use as a gentleman's knife.

Most of the Barlows I've known thus far have been the kind of thing you see in a cigar box on a pawn-shop counter for a dollar each: cheap slip-joint folders with stamped bolsters, plastic scales, questionable fit, and clip-point blades. But this one is what you'd expect of Russell: solid bolsters, cocobolo scales (with two synthetic options), and the fit, while not perfect, is still pretty good. I especially like the spear-point blade, which you can open with one hand (if you're right handed). This knife is oddly slim for a Barlow, so it disappears into the watch pocket of a pair of jeans, yet the blade is big enough for serious work--in fact, it's pretty much the ideal size and shape for field-dressing our local blacktail deer, which run to the small side. The wood scales are decidedly un-milspec, which I believe adds a touch of class and may help comfort any uninitiated eyes that might see me cutting up an apple with it in the lunch room at work. Finally, it suffers absolutely no ornamentation. It is what Jeff Cooper once called "ostentatiously plain", and I like that aspect of it most of all.

Not very big, but big enough.

http://i.imgur.com/wYGiB45.jpg (http://imgur.com/wYGiB45)

The long French cut can be used to open the knife one-handed, which is unusual in a Barlow.

http://i.imgur.com/FfPXPZV.jpg (http://imgur.com/FfPXPZV)

The other side.

http://i.imgur.com/B0yzyKi.jpg (http://imgur.com/B0yzyKi)

Fit and finish around the lock mechanism. Oddly slim overall.

http://i.imgur.com/ZRuhag9.jpg (http://imgur.com/ZRuhag9)

Pretty nice little blade for just under $60 shipped.

Okie John

Dddrees
06-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Watches are my greatest passion, but I have a few knives.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/dddrees/IMG_1783.jpg (http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/dddrees/media/IMG_1783.jpg.html)

SLG
06-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Just picked this AG Russell Medium Barlow Lockback (http://agrussell.com/knife/3886) up to use as a gentleman's knife.

Most of the Barlows I've known thus far have been the kind of thing you see in a cigar box on a pawn-shop counter for a dollar each: cheap slip-joint folders with stamped bolsters, plastic scales, questionable fit, and clip-point blades. But this one is what you'd expect of Russell: solid bolsters, cocobolo scales (with two synthetic options), and the fit, while not perfect, is still pretty good. I especially like the spear-point blade, which you can open with one hand (if you're right handed). This knife is oddly slim for a Barlow, so it disappears into the watch pocket of a pair of jeans, yet the blade is big enough for serious work--in fact, it's pretty much the ideal size and shape for field-dressing our local blacktail deer, which run to the small side. The wood scales are decidedly un-milspec, which I believe adds a touch of class and may help comfort any uninitiated eyes that might see me cutting up an apple with it in the lunch room at work. Finally, it suffers absolutely no ornamentation. It is what Jeff Cooper once called "ostentatiously plain", and I like that aspect of it most of all.

http://i.imgur.com/wYGiB45.jpg (http://imgur.com/wYGiB45)

The long French cut can be used to open the knife one-handed, which is unusual in a Barlow.

http://i.imgur.com/FfPXPZV.jpg (http://imgur.com/FfPXPZV)

The other side.

http://i.imgur.com/B0yzyKi.jpg (http://imgur.com/B0yzyKi)

http://i.imgur.com/ZRuhag9.jpg (http://imgur.com/ZRuhag9)

Okie John

I don't usually like Barlow's, but that looks REALLY nice.

LittleLebowski
06-13-2016, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure if I've heard the word "Barlow" since reading Samuel Clements. I really like that knife and the price is tempting.

Failure2Stop
06-13-2016, 11:13 AM
I've carried a Dejavoo for a few years and like it.
http://dpolicastro.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/images/benchmade/img-benchmade-dejavoo-01.jpg
Sad that they discontinued it.

JCS
06-13-2016, 12:55 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160613/66e032a41e305834315e6770666dbb62.jpg
My two most carried. The pm2 is just perfection.

SLG
06-13-2016, 01:19 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160613/66e032a41e305834315e6770666dbb62.jpg
My two most carried. The pm2 is just perfection.

I don't carry folders anymore besides my SAK, but the first prototype shown in public of the PM was given to me and went on my first and subsequent deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq. I have done almost everything you can do with a knife, with that knife. It is AWESOME. :-)

Dddrees
06-13-2016, 10:50 PM
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/dddrees/Gaziano_Girling%20Skoaktiebolaget%20Thorpe%20Oak%2 0Kudu%20William%20Hanry%20B06.jpg (http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/dddrees/media/Gaziano_Girling%20Skoaktiebolaget%20Thorpe%20Oak%2 0Kudu%20William%20Hanry%20B06.jpg.html)

StraitR
06-17-2016, 11:38 PM
Love that AGR Barlow John.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7676/27019757703_e26a160f00_c.jpg

okie john
06-17-2016, 11:55 PM
I don't usually like Barlow's, but that looks REALLY nice.

I used it to cut the tag off of a jacket at Brooks Brothers and all of the sales help admired it.

Of course none of them had knives...

Okie John

SLG
06-18-2016, 05:50 AM
I used it to cut the tag off of a jacket at Brooks Brothers and all of the sales help admired it.

Okie John

That's because men carry knives.

JM Campbell
06-18-2016, 07:23 AM
I've carried a Dejavoo for a few years and like it.
http://dpolicastro.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/images/benchmade/img-benchmade-dejavoo-01.jpg
Sad that they discontinued it.
http://www.jtknives.com/product-detail.php?product=132

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/BM740/benchmade-dejavoo-bob-lum-3-95-inch

If you want/need another one before they are gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Nephrology
06-18-2016, 11:49 AM
Just got a paramilitary 2 to replace the Griptilian combo-edge that I finally lost after nearly 10 years of (very abusive) ownership.

Love this thing. It's a tad bigger than I really want - I'll probably pick up satin plain-edge mini griptilian as a companion, or maybe the upcoming Minuteman/PM3 - but for a ~3.5" folding blade I really like it. More than the Griptilian it replaced.

Dddrees
06-18-2016, 12:06 PM
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/dddrees/IMG_1675.jpg (http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/dddrees/media/IMG_1675.jpg.html)

Willard
06-18-2016, 10:41 PM
Just picked this AG Russell Medium Barlow Lockback

The long French cut can be used to open the knife one-handed, which is unusual in a Barlow

Okie John

Was liking it until I saw the "made in China " Probably a non-issue for most.

Sigfan26
06-18-2016, 11:39 PM
PM2 in S110V is my newest addition... And a new favorite!

backtrail540
06-20-2016, 11:32 PM
A few bm's. 275 adamas, new 928 proxy, 808 loco, and the classic 940

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/20160620_122802_zpsllruizio.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160620_122802_zpsllruizio.jpg.html)

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/20160620_122905_zpsnumnkbdk.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160620_122905_zpsnumnkbdk.jpg.html)

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/20160620_122816_zpsybnqvavf.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160620_122816_zpsybnqvavf.jpg.html)

farscott
06-23-2016, 05:02 AM
I have more than a few, but I keep coming back to this one, a small Sebenza with a tanto blade. As the pictures show, I do not baby it. I have cleaned the blade since those photos were taken.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/farscott/CRK_1_zpsb5873486.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/farscott/media/CRK_1_zpsb5873486.jpg.html)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/farscott/CRK_2_zpsf20dd70a.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/farscott/media/CRK_2_zpsf20dd70a.jpg.html)

I also keep a Schatt & Morgan Scout Jr. on my keychain, but it is mostly used for opening beer bottles.

backtrail540
07-02-2016, 05:35 PM
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/20160702_135837_zpskcchjsgd.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160702_135837_zpskcchjsgd.jpg.html)

940-2

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/20160702_140108_zpssygjui9h.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160702_140108_zpssygjui9h.jpg.html)

928 proxy

backtrail540
07-18-2016, 04:00 PM
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164125_zpsyoeknl9b.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164125_zpsyoeknl9b.jpg.html)
Choices...

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/766b9fd0-b168-4984-9161-7dd37cbd6438_zpso6zcwqzw.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/766b9fd0-b168-4984-9161-7dd37cbd6438_zpso6zcwqzw.jpg.html)
M4/Jade PM2 sprint

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164037_zpstxeousbs.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164037_zpstxeousbs.jpg.html)

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_163806_zpshgwqkt9w.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_163806_zpshgwqkt9w.jpg.html)

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164007_zpsq0jgzmds.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164007_zpsq0jgzmds.jpg.html)

Duelist
07-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Knife love is genetic in my family. When my uncles packed up my grandfather's things after he passed, there were enough pocket knives that everybody got at least one.

He had ten kids, and fifty grandkids.

I got some kitchen knives, too, because nobody really wanted them.

I just got this from a forum member, and I'm pretty excited about it. I first saw a Spyderco in 1990. The Delica had just come out in all stainless, and my karate teacher had one. I couldn't afford it, but I wanted one so bad. Every locking blade knife I got after that was a substitute - even the three Spydercos I got. I finally got one about four years ago, a D4 in VG-10, and it was everything I'd known it would be.

Lost it camping twice. The first time, one of the boys (scouts) found it for me. This time, it's just gone. I've got plenty of other knives, so it's not like I was without anything to cut with - I had a Spyderco Tenacious on the camp as well (I'd rather have lost it!), but I knew I was going to get something else soon, and then this Sage 2 in CPM S30V popped up on the WTS list here, and I grabbed it.

I think I may like it more than the Delica... At least, for today.

voodoo_man
07-18-2016, 05:46 PM
For those looking to get a benchmade....

I'd advise towards a griptilian regular and mini size.

20% off* your next order on Benchmade.com now through August 31, 2016. Use code ULTIMATE2016 at checkout.

*Code is valid for 20% off one order of up to 5 products, per account on Benchmade.com. Must be logged in to account in order for code to be applied to your order. Discount does not apply to Gold Class products.

JCS
07-18-2016, 06:57 PM
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164125_zpsyoeknl9b.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164125_zpsyoeknl9b.jpg.html)
Choices...

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/766b9fd0-b168-4984-9161-7dd37cbd6438_zpso6zcwqzw.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/766b9fd0-b168-4984-9161-7dd37cbd6438_zpso6zcwqzw.jpg.html)
M4/Jade PM2 sprint

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164037_zpstxeousbs.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164037_zpstxeousbs.jpg.html)

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_163806_zpshgwqkt9w.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_163806_zpshgwqkt9w.jpg.html)

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/backtrail540/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164007_zpsq0jgzmds.jpg (http://s709.photobucket.com/user/backtrail540/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_164007_zpsq0jgzmds.jpg.html)

Lucky you! Just need one of the new m4 spyderco flippers now.

VolGrad
07-18-2016, 08:10 PM
For those looking to get a benchmade....

I'd advise towards a griptilian regular and mini size.

20% off* your next order on Benchmade.com now through August 31, 2016. Use code ULTIMATE2016 at checkout.

*Code is valid for 20% off one order of up to 5 products, per account on Benchmade.com. Must be logged in to account in order for code to be applied to your order. Discount does not apply to Gold Class products.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Is it good on custom builds from their interactive site?

voodoo_man
07-19-2016, 03:48 AM
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Is it good on custom builds from their interactive site?

No idea...

VolGrad
07-19-2016, 09:02 PM
M4/Jade PM2 sprint

Jealous. I was unable to get one. They are all over the Exchange on BF but the prices are insanely inflated. No thanks. I hope to get one are regular pricing at some point.

backtrail540
07-19-2016, 10:41 PM
All of the sprints tend to go up in price once they sell out and hit the exhange, only this run was on the exhange inflated within hours. It's the nature of the beast unfortunately. The upcoming m4/carbon fiber knifeworks sprint is competitive with what the jade are now going for.

JCS
08-24-2016, 12:44 PM
If I ever stray from spyderco it'll be for a ZT. That cts-204 p is incredible. Here's mine

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160824/fad64a5dfcfdebf2b97d9d7cd5b2993b.jpg

JodyH
08-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Incoming large "ladder Damascus" Sebenza, should be here Wednesday.
I'll be sitting on the porch waiting for UPS like a lonely dog waiting for his owner.

blues
08-28-2016, 10:35 AM
These two are getting the most pocket time the past few months...but it's never an easy decision.

https://s16.postimg.org/wsf8iif2p/insingo.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/wsf8iif2p/)

https://s16.postimg.org/53slazs29/minigrip4.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/53slazs29/)

https://s16.postimg.org/80fmb9xw1/minigrip2.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/80fmb9xw1/)

https://s16.postimg.org/69wl9sgcx/minigrip3.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/69wl9sgcx/)

https://s16.postimg.org/58wcknzdd/minigrip1.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/58wcknzdd/)

ubervic
08-28-2016, 03:01 PM
I keep coming back to my Spyderco Centofante 3. Its slender look fits in even in NPE environments. So lightweight at under 3 oz. that I can't even feel it in my pocket, yet the VG10 steel is sharp & durable and cuts through anything I throw at it. The only very minor issue is that its FRN scales don't offer a ton of tactile grip----but for what I use this knife for, I don't miss extra grip.

Rich@CCC
08-28-2016, 05:29 PM
I just picked up one of the updated Bechmade Griptilians this weekend. I've had one of the original Thumb Hole Grips for quite a while and it has been my go to work horse knife from day one. The newer offering is everything great about the original with better materials and over all feel. Slimmer, stronger, sharper and better looking.

Willard
08-28-2016, 07:22 PM
The newer offering is everything great about the original with better materials and over all feel. Slimmer, stronger, sharper and better looking.

That is very good to know. Thanks.

zinc701
08-28-2016, 08:08 PM
I've been carrying this Blind Horse Frontier Valley for a few years. It's a little over 6", and fits in my front pocket. Its sharp, and very
strong.

Rich@CCC
08-28-2016, 08:23 PM
Love Battle Horse Knives(1/2 of the now defunct Blind Horse Knives) They're local to me and Dan is a great guy as well as a freaking genius with a grinder!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/IMG_1031_zps7x8p42cr.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/IMG_1031_zps7x8p42cr.jpg.html)
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Knives/ef556c6b-cdf4-4fe4-8ea8-f2bb3be89097_zps1go2ijoc.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/luvmy40/media/Knives/ef556c6b-cdf4-4fe4-8ea8-f2bb3be89097_zps1go2ijoc.jpg.html)

JCS
08-28-2016, 08:23 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160829/c667ffad07d085da075124cba8dd7a8c.jpg

Great pair for when you don't want to scare people by opening a letter with a pm2.

JodyH
08-31-2016, 05:34 PM
Even nicer than I was anticipating... and freaking razor sharp.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160831/8202be5bda5791a2e1018e5fd663712c.jpg

blues
08-31-2016, 06:07 PM
Congrats, she's a beauty. They all are from the plain to the sublime.

okie john
08-31-2016, 06:09 PM
When I think of a pocket knife, I tend to think of a folder. But this Dozier K-9 Personal Utility with brown Micarta scales just arrived from Russell Knives, and it’s small enough and light enough to live in my pocket.

Shown for scale.

http://i.imgur.com/V6HRDFp.jpg (http://imgur.com/V6HRDFp)

Left side.

http://i.imgur.com/ZzfOkYI.jpg (http://imgur.com/ZzfOkYI)

Right side.

http://i.imgur.com/6m6R1e1.jpg (http://imgur.com/6m6R1e1)

In the sheath.

http://i.imgur.com/RfvZgqO.jpg (http://imgur.com/RfvZgqO)

I’ve wanted a Dozier for nearly 30 years, and I finally got my act together and got myself one.

Okie John

blues
08-31-2016, 06:41 PM
I’ve wanted a Dozier for nearly 30 years, and I finally got my act together and got myself one.

Okie John

Bob makes a great knife. I have a couple of his prototypes. One has the first convex edged blade he ever built.

He's also a lot of fun to hang around. The man knows how to get the most out of D2.

11B10
08-31-2016, 06:51 PM
I need another knife (folding or otherwise) about as much as I need a boot to the head (https://youtu.be/LMIfAmQYig8), but this knife is giving me the wants:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B78LSKO/

10075 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B78LSKO/)

Much better pictures over at KnifeArt.com (http://www.knifeart.com/zero-tolerance-0804cf.html):

10076 (http://www.knifeart.com/zero-tolerance-0804cf.html)

Tom - someday, when I'm fiscally able, I'll graduate from the Benchmade Gryptilian class to the ZT's - I think they are best in class.

JCS
08-31-2016, 07:15 PM
Even nicer than I was anticipating... and freaking razor sharp.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160831/8202be5bda5791a2e1018e5fd663712c.jpg

That's beautiful. Are you going to use it? (Serious question. Damascus looks so good and I have no idea how it holds up )

blues
08-31-2016, 07:23 PM
Here's some pocket knives (and one fixed blade) by my late friend Kit Carson.

https://s32.postimg.org/4nsw6q1xh/Carson_M16.jpg

https://s32.postimg.org/ne8tahqj9/Carson_Dam216.jpg

https://s32.postimg.org/fcb34jv05/Carson2.jpg

https://s32.postimg.org/4gey8crdh/Carson_Neck3.jpg

Kit built my very first custom knife back in the middle to late 90's. It's the red bone Model 4 with CPM-420V steel.

The top Model 16 is all titanium (including screws) with a Stellite 6K blade so it is both non-magnetic and non-corrosive.

The damascus Model 16 is made entirely from Daryl Meier "clad" damascus (laminated steel). Kit gave me the opportunity to buy the knife for well under its value after helping him man his table at the Blade Show back around 1998 or so. It was featured in Blade Magazine in one of their articles on Kit's work.

The straight knife is made from D2, (one of Kit's favorite "traditional" steels along with 440C), and he sent it as a surprise gift one year.

Kit was a great knife maker but an even better man and will always be dearly missed.

JodyH
08-31-2016, 07:45 PM
That's beautiful. Are you going to use it? (Serious question. Damascus looks so good and I have no idea how it holds up )
Of course I'm going to use it, I don't own any "safe queens".
It's a stainless Damascus so it should hold up just fine.
I also carry a small Spyderco CF Dog Tag for "box cutter" jobs, but I fully intent to use the Sebenza as a daily carry/use folder.

SmokeJumper
08-31-2016, 09:59 PM
Of course I'm going to use it, I don't own any "safe queens".
It's a stainless Damascus so it should hold up just fine.
I also carry a small Spyderco CF Dog Tag for "box cutter" jobs, but I fully intent to use the Sebenza as a daily carry/use folder.

Can't go wrong with Chris Reeve blades, hold up well and great warranty/customer service when/if needed. Daily carry a Sebenza 25 or Umnumzaan except at work with a Rexford RUT.

BobLoblaw
12-29-2016, 01:34 PM
FYI, Spyderco released the Para 3. I'm strongly considering a preorder for once.

blues
12-29-2016, 01:48 PM
FYI, Spyderco released the Para 3. I'm strongly considering a preorder for once.

While not a huge fan of FRN in general, I've always liked the Calypso Jr. pattern but end up giving them away.

I kept one of these with the ZDP-189 blades for myself...

https://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/spyderco-knives/images/52zdp.jpg

BobLoblaw
12-29-2016, 02:05 PM
While not a huge fan of FRN in general, I've always liked the Calypso Jr. pattern but end up giving them away.

I kept one of these with the ZDP-189 blades for myself...

https://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/spyderco-knives/images/52zdp.jpg

I like FRN for weight savings but G10 for better skin friction. I'm a big fan of ZDP-189 except while sharpening. My ZDP-189 Delica gets 50/50 pocket time with my mini griptilian. Love those knives. The Para 3 will be my less scary P'Kal.

Clusterfrack
12-29-2016, 02:30 PM
Emerson CQC-7F S35VN. A bit more utilitarian than my P'Kal but still works well tip-down-edge-in.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161229/c3ef73ec44157b78eea6e68279b2dff8.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161229/795004ef7237e9fa22ba24d6eaba1dcd.jpg

OnionsAndDragons
12-30-2016, 09:14 AM

I have a serious love/hate/love relationship with Spyderco FRN. Love the weight saving, hate that the grippiness isn't quite ideal, but still love the weight saving for a general use knife.

I had a pair of Enduras that I sanded strips of them down to stick skate tape in them, old-school Microtech style... but I gave one away and broke my personal one abusing it last year. :( Maybe I need to do that again sometime.

ASH556
01-06-2017, 11:10 PM
This is my current stash of folders. L to R: Benchmade Presidio Auto (2005-ish), Smith & Wesson M&P (Christmas gift from a well-intentioned friend), Spyderco Delica (first "real" knife, circa 2000), CRKT KISS Tanto ($15 at LGS). Not pictured is a Kershaw Chive I just sent back for a blade lock replacement. I used to have a thumb hole 1/2 serrated Mini Grip too, but lost it some years ago. I received some Amazon gift cards for Christmas this year with the intent of picking up another one. Currently trying to convince myself that blue/gray model isn't worth the extra $100.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/FD65F611-5C14-4797-A87F-60F4E7E518E3.jpg (http://s854.photobucket.com/user/ASH556/media/FD65F611-5C14-4797-A87F-60F4E7E518E3.jpg.html)

blues
01-06-2017, 11:16 PM
Sebenza Insingo (Small)

Ritter Mini Grip with Wilkins Titanium Grips & MokuTi pocket clip

blues
01-06-2017, 11:24 PM
Ken Erickson: Cattle Knife

Jerry Halfrich: Bulldog

blues
01-06-2017, 11:32 PM
Richard Rogers, Magdalena, NM...Stockman (round bolster):

Richard Rogers: Stockman (square bolster)

blues
01-06-2017, 11:40 PM
Bill Ruple, TX: Stockman

Whittler:

Sowbelly:

blues
01-06-2017, 11:48 PM
Reese Bose: Sowbelly Stockman

El Cid
01-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Added a mini Roadhouse to the Emerson collection.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1267_zpsk38sfqcb.jpg

BobLoblaw
02-04-2017, 02:30 PM
So...the Para 3 is awesome. It's like a blend of my favorite EDCs. If I could only have one, that would be it. Here are a couple other popular choices for scale.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170204/ff4eb82469667fea2d79f596d1da92c6.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170204/6ddab448669aa72d86eb073e6521caac.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170204/b9750107cb8de07a7912ee4bdd21fa8c.jpg

blues
02-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Here's one I was gifted by Thomas Welk of Kershaw / ZT:

JCS
02-25-2017, 09:12 PM
I've completely abused this knife the past few weeks and it shows. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/f97b5da3e1cc400788ff047c729e0a56.jpg
I spent about ten minutes (after I cleaned the blade) on the sharpmaker and a strop and it's back to shaving sharp. It sliced through phonebook paper with ease. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170226/eee65c852a9776bf0ae9426908869993.jpg

blues
02-25-2017, 09:19 PM
The Sharpmaker is a great tool as long as the edge doesn't need a lot of work to bring it back...otherwise I use DMT diamond hones first and then finish on the Sharpmaker. Good stuff.

Shoresy
02-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Amazon has the Zero Tolerance 0350 (http://amzn.to/2lJ9OAq) for $84.50 currently.

14268 (http://amzn.to/2lJ9OAq)

That's a pretty awesome price. They are normally around $140.

It's a good knife at $140. Outstanding at $85.

JM Campbell
02-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Amazon has the Zero Tolerance 0350 (http://amzn.to/2lJ9OAq) for $84.50 currently.

Have carried one daily for 5+ years, only issue has been the pocket clip screws loosening after continuous wear. Tighten them up and gtg. Stays sharp and will open cans in a pinch with no harm done to the blade-done it a few times.

theJanitor
02-27-2017, 06:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/PgxczAX.jpg?2

Nephrology
02-28-2017, 12:07 AM

Too slow on the draw! next time.

Anyone gotten to handle a paramilitary 3? That's my next buy, no doubt.

Rich@CCC
02-28-2017, 09:20 AM
I just picked this up in a trade with another forum member. Thanks backtrail540!

What a great folder! It's a beefy work horse of a knife with a great look. Talk a bout sturdy!

Benchmade 808 LOCO

BobLoblaw
02-28-2017, 11:07 AM

Post #230. My new favorite.

cjb1911
03-01-2017, 09:13 PM

I have the p3, it's kinda meh for me. It'll no doubt be a popular knife for them but it rides to high in the pocket for my liking and the clip has some serious hot spots in my hand. It didn't supplant my sage 5 or mantra, which are, in my opinion, the best spydies in that size.

voodoo_man
03-01-2017, 09:40 PM
I think imma pick up a benchmade griptilian...Trying to figure out if I want the full size or a mini...Gata sell my dpx first though

din
03-01-2017, 11:13 PM
I think imma pick up a benchmade griptilian...Trying to figure out if I want the full size or a mini...Gata sell my dpx first though

Get the one with the 20CV blade. It's tits.

Rich@CCC
03-01-2017, 11:43 PM

Here's the one...

Nephrology
03-01-2017, 11:53 PM

If you're going to get one of the 154CM plane jane models I recommend the mini, having owned (and lost) both at various points. The mini feels a little more solid and is a great inconspicuous EDC knife.

If you want a heavy-duty knife roughly the size and profile of the fullsize Griptilian I would recommend you just get the Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

voodoo_man
03-02-2017, 12:04 AM
If you're going to get one of the 154CM plane jane models I recommend the mini, having owned (and lost) both at various points. The mini feels a little more solid and is a great inconspicuous EDC knife.

If you want a heavy-duty knife roughly the size and profile of the fullsize Griptilian I would recommend you just get the Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

Thanks, I've seen the paramilitary and was not too impressed by it.

I like the full size pocket knives but seem to be at my end with then as there is no way im getting another large one. I just don't need it. I may end up with a mini griptilian as I really like benchmade quality.

JCS
03-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Go with one of the upgraded griptillians with g10. Knives are all about personal preference but the plastic handles feel cheap to me.

The paramilitary is huge. The pm2 is a fantastic knife if you wear gloves. The spydie hole is such a simple yet innovative design. The compression lock is my favorite lock that I have tried.

I find myself wanting another folder and I have a couple old Spyderco's I don't carry anymore. My rotation lately has been either a pm2 or a Gayle Bradley. I need a smaller knife that's a little more discreet.

NickA
03-02-2017, 09:04 AM
I have the p3, it's kinda meh for me. It'll no doubt be a popular knife for them but it rides to high in the pocket for my liking and the clip has some serious hot spots in my hand. It didn't supplant my sage 5 or mantra, which are, in my opinion, the best spydies in that size.
Do you have a preference between the Sage 5 or Mantra? I've been looking at a "nicer" folder and those two are in the running. I sorta want a titanium frame lock, which also throws the Sage 2 into the mix, along with a few different ZT models. But at least on paper I think the ZTs (0808 and 450) might be a little big for every day use (for me).
For reference I have a ZT350; I like it but it's really the upper end for me size wise and frankly overkill for my typical uses.

voodoo_man
03-02-2017, 09:27 AM
So I tried to mess with the configurations and you cannot select 154CM and G10 handles. It doesn't let you...

voodoo_man
03-02-2017, 09:40 AM
So I tried to mess with the configurations and you cannot select 154CM and G10 handles. It doesn't let you...

Placed an order anyway...

Blade Edge: Serrated
Blade Finish/Color: Coated
Blade Style/Shape: Drop*point
Blade Steel: CPM*20CV (59*61HRC)
Handle Material: G10
Handle Color: Gray

I have an LE discount so it came in under $150, which is pretty on par with what I wanted to pay.

Now...who wants to purchase a used DPx HEST Folder? ;)

JCS
03-02-2017, 10:17 AM

I have an LE discount so it came in under $150, which is pretty on par with what I wanted to pay.

Where did you order from that offers an le discount? That's a smokin deal!

Nephrology
03-02-2017, 10:45 AM

Nice. The G10 handle will probably be a big improvement over the OEM material. I found the OEM FS Grip felt "plasticky" and the weight was a bit off. The G10 will probably be a big improvement.

voodoo_man
03-02-2017, 11:14 AM
Where did you order from that offers an le discount? That's a smokin deal!

You get an LE discount when you sign and verify - I think?

I've had my benchmade account for like 10 years so I don't remember exactly what I had to do...

Duelist
03-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Do you have a preference between the Sage 5 or Mantra? I've been looking at a "nicer" folder and those two are in the running. I sorta want a titanium frame lock, which also throws the Sage 2 into the mix, along with a few different ZT models. But at least on paper I think the ZTs (0808 and 450) might be a little big for every day use (for me).
For reference I have a ZT350; I like it but it's really the upper end for me size wise and frankly overkill for my typical uses.

I love my Sage 2. The titanium is smooth but still provides good grip, and the deceptively simple looks nice, and is very ergonomic. Very solid knife. The wire clip is a low-ride and very discreet.