PDA

View Full Version : Drawing the weapon from the 3 o'clock position

Simon
07-18-2011, 12:48 PM
The vidio about the self inflicted shooting with the Sherpa holster started me thinking about this; With the weapon holstered in the 3 or 3:30 position, in a FBI holster, can a draw to the high retention position be made safely in a high stress situation? Can the average shooter point the muzzle down range before he covers his lower body or legs?

I have been using an IBW or a Pancake holster without going to the high retention position with out problems for many years. When I try to use the high retention with speed I cover myself using the afore stated weapon position and holsters. I see vidios of shooters using AIWB and going to the high retention position and I have tried going from this position starting with weapon in hand and it works very well for me, however because I am very short waisted I can not use AIWB while seated. I should tell you that I am doing these drills unloaded.

I was trained , 40 years ago, by one of the best instructors in the US in the point shooting method,( Bill Jordan method) and became quite good with it out to about 10 or 12 yards, shot to the torso in about .5 seconds. The problem with this method, as you all know, is that if you are caught in fist fighting range, the weapon is not protected, so I am trying to learn the high retention. I can extend my arms about half way and then come back to the high retention without covering my self, but this is not good at arms length.

Can one of the instructor, or any one else, tell me how to do this with out covering my self with the muzzle? Thanks for any help

PS: the shooter in the video was covering his leg with the muzzle while using a duty type holster with FBI or he would have had a ND without injury.

Dropkick
07-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Are you asking if there is a "safe" way to draw from a strong side canted holster?

It's hard to tell. Did you have a chance to proof-read your post?

Simon
07-21-2011, 04:59 PM
I've been off the site since I posted and didn't know I was that confusing, sorry about that. I was just try to explain my background and why I am having trouble making a safe draw to the high retention position. If you watch the video of the shooter with the self inflicted leg wound, you will see that he is drawing to the high position and covering his leg/lower body with the muzzle as he draws.

I wanted to know if any of the instructors(or anyone else) could explain how to get to the high retention position with a FBI holster from the 3:30 position on the belt, without covering the leg/lower body with the muzzle.

seabiscuit
07-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Just pull the pistol out and rotate it forward as it comes up. Right?

SecondsCount
07-21-2011, 10:04 PM
The issue with the guy who shot himself in the leg was that he placed his finger inside the trigger guard far too early in the draw. My guess is that he had zero training on how to properly draw a gun and was rushing the process.

If you practice doing it correctly, starting of slow and building speed, you will react correctly when the time comes to do it quickly.

Simon
07-21-2011, 10:48 PM
The issue with the guy who shot himself in the leg was that he placed his finger inside the trigger guard far too early in the draw. My guess is that he had zero training on how to properly draw a gun and was rushing the process.

If you practice doing it correctly, starting of slow and building speed, you will react correctly when the time comes to do it quickly.

I am sure you are correct about his finger on the trigger, but if he had not covered (swept) his leg/lower body he would not have shot himself. I have tried to draw the pistol from the waist high 3 o'clock position to the chest high position to start a press out, and I have not been able to do it with out sweeping my self. I can do it if I extend to the shooting position without going to the high chest position first, but then, if I want to go to the retention (or high ready) position, without firing a shot, I have to pull my arms in to my front. I know there should be some method to move to the high position that you would use if you were using an AIWB holster. I may figure it out, but so far no joy.

Thanks for the help.

SouthNarc
07-22-2011, 07:18 AM
With any holster that rides close to the body, particularly inside the pants, you are going to sweep some portion of yourself for a split second. It really doesn't matter where on the clock it's carried. You MIGHT not do that with a police duty style holster that sits on a belt shank and is projected away from the hip.

Alot of this has to do with body type. Almost anyone who is relatively athletic will have quadraceps that are wider than the hip bone. So the thighs tend to get swept. Thumb tracking properly during the vertical line of presentation to a high #2 position tends to keep this minimized.

MDS
07-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Almost anyone who is relatively athletic will have quadraceps that are wider than the hip bone. So the thighs tend to get swept.

Nice! Dude, I'm totally stealing this to justify my burger habit.

Simon
07-22-2011, 05:09 PM
With any holster that rides close to the body, particularly inside the pants, you are going to sweep some portion of yourself for a split second. It really doesn't matter where on the clock it's carried. You MIGHT not do that with a police duty style holster that sits on a belt shank and is projected away from the hip.

Alot of this has to do with body type. Almost anyone who is relatively athletic will have quadraceps that are wider than the hip bone. So the thighs tend to get swept. Thumb tracking properly during the vertical line of presentation to a high #2 position tends to keep this minimized.

Thanks SouthNarc, that explains it. I carried in a duty rig for almost all of my career and when I did carry in PC, it was under a jacket which causes me to tilt to the weak side while drawing. From there it is easier, for me, to come to the high position. Tilting to the weak side makes it much easier to clear the jacket, but also makes it easier to get my hand and arm to move up to the high position. Lack of flexibility due to age may also be be part of the problem.