PDA

View Full Version : STI 1911s? Opinions?

Totem Polar
09-14-2014, 03:48 PM
I see that the search function omits "STI" as a valid term. I am assuming that there has been some discussion on STI guns here before, and the relative merits vs. other sub 2k 1911s. Is there a P-F.com consensus?

TIA.

DocGKR
09-14-2014, 03:56 PM
For STI 2011 double stack pistols:

For games, sure.

For duty/defense use, no.

LittleLebowski
09-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Any gun you need to "tune" the factory mags (double stack ones) for doesn't get any real consideration for anything outside of gaming with.

farscott
09-14-2014, 04:27 PM
To be fair, STI offers a line of single-stack guns using standard magazines that do not require tuning, some of which are designed for CCW or LEO carry. The issue with them is that all of the calibers (other than the GI model) use Wilson/Nowlin ramped barrels. In .45 ACP, that can be a reliability issue. In 9x19, it can be an advantage.

STI does have very good customer service and does a great job of supporting their products.

PPGMD
09-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Any gun you need to "tune" the factory mags (double stack ones) for doesn't get any real consideration for anything outside of gaming with.

Most of the tuning is to get a reliable maximum capacity magazine. If you aren't trying to stuff 30 rounds in a 171.25mm tube the magazines can be pretty reliable out of the box.

Also tuning has to do with 2011s not 1911s.

LittleLebowski
09-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Most of the tuning is to get a reliable maximum capacity magazine. If you aren't trying to stuff 30 rounds in a 171.25mm tube the magazines can be pretty reliable out of the box.

Also tuning has to do with 2011s not 1911s.

I suppose I should have quantified further with "1911 pattern double stack STIs" but I did indeed point out that it's the double stack mags that need tuning. I'll bow out as I'm simply not into 1911s enough to maintain your level of detail on nomenclature.

lightning fast
09-14-2014, 04:50 PM
I would take an STI 1911 over most other brands.

Haraise
09-14-2014, 04:56 PM

Let's be clear here.

The vast majority of people 'tuning' STI magazines are trying to fit 26 rounds in the place of 21, and get the slide not to lock back.

My STI magazines where 21 means 21, and the slide locks back, aren't an issue.

There's a difference between race guns and normal guns. If you turn a car into a race car, you might need to rebuild the engine every year. That doesn't mean you should avoid the normal version because of that.

Let me be clear, STI mags aren't the best in the world. Trying to shove a double stack into a single stack hole creates interesting design compromises. But the issue is massively overblown, just like how 1911s were here before Todd showed that it doesn't take a 1911 in a caliber it likes or the slide length to go with that caliber for it to be very reliable.

klewis
09-14-2014, 05:29 PM
NM, I was slow with the typing. :)

rathos
09-15-2014, 01:42 AM
I recently purchased a 9mm Duty one 5.0(single stack) for possible use on duty. I liked the thought of staying with a 1911 but having it in a caliber that is a lot more affordable to shoot. So far it has been completely reliable with good ammo. Cheaper 115 grain ammo doesn't seem to function the best but my issued practice flat nose 147 grain and the 124 grain ammo I have tried works great. My issued duty ammo also functioned great in it (shot 100 rounds of it). I put 900 rounds through it the first weekend I had it (including the hollow points). The only thing I had issues with was 115 grain PMC, but it was ammo specific. It could also have something to do with the recoil master system that comes with the gun as it makes the slide almost feel sluggish. Since it works with the other ammo I shoot and my duty ammo I am not worried about swapping it out, but I am thinking about swapping to a standard GI recoil setup so I can shoot the lighter grain stuff as well.

1986s4
09-15-2014, 07:45 AM
I owned a single stack Ranger 2 for a while. Sold it because I wasn't into shooting .45 at the time, just to expensive. While I owned it, it was accurate and reliable. With the right ammo fast controlled pairs were very possible. I didn't like the Recoil Master guide rod set up, it also had a cone type barrel.

Lon
09-15-2014, 06:29 PM
With STI, you just need to know what you're buying. An STI Spartan pistol is their base line bottom dollar 1911. I bought one this summer just to have a 1911 pattern (mine is the Commander size 9mm) pistol to shoot occasionally. The problem with the Spartan line is that not all parts are completely interchangeable with other 1911 pistols. For example, the dovetail front sights are a non standard dovetail and not many people make front sights for them. Additionally, the frame length is not quite the same as other 1911s. An ed brown MH and mag well left a gap over 1mm between the bottom of the frame and the top of the mag well. I had to custom fit a set of Techwell grips/mag well to get them to work right. This is due in part to the guns predominantly Philipine manufactured parts. They are quite popular in USPSA single stack division.

It's been reliable so far, but I invested in good mags (thanks to TLG's experience with the 1911 test gun).

STI's other lines of 1911 pistols have more custom features and have a good reputation, but also get quite a bit more expensive. Several of my friends have had STI Trojan pistols and have never had issues with them.