PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like Wood?

Trooper224
09-14-2014, 03:30 PM
I do, wood is good. After Mrs. Awesome and I got some Jesus, I spent the afternoon at the range with three of my favorite friends: M1903, M1 Garand and FAL (Stg58).
http://m3.i.pbase.com/o9/64/521964/1/157377683.Zk8gtNZQ.wood001.JPG

JV_
09-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Very nice.
I'm glad I don't see a maple'd out AR15, with copper plating.

Jay Cunningham
09-14-2014, 03:32 PM

I do indeed!

Tamara
09-14-2014, 03:38 PM
While they are all very nice, I'd like to note that this is the first time I've felt more lust for a FAL than a Garand in the same picture. That's a dead sexy little rifle there. :o

Trooper224
09-14-2014, 03:54 PM
I'm glad I don't see a maple'd out AR15, with copper plating.

For some reason the thought of this makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Trooper224
09-14-2014, 03:56 PM
While they are all very nice, I'd like to note that this is the first time I've felt more lust for a FAL than a Garand in the same picture. That's a dead sexy little rifle there. :o

Thanks. Over the years I've resisted the urge to ninja that one up and have managed to keep it classy.

Tamara
09-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Stay strong! :D

Coyotesfan97
09-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Those are good looking rifles! I'm envious.

JV_
09-14-2014, 04:52 PM
For some reason the thought of this makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

LOL. I thought it was interesting that the one guy who wanted one, and liked it, was the one guy with whom I disagree on practically everything else. I was glad to see the consistency extended beyond politics.

Odin Bravo One
09-14-2014, 05:00 PM
I do, wood is good.

I have a Garand. I have a carbine. A Tommy. BAR is next.........but none take the place of the little blue pill induced wood.

LittleLebowski
09-14-2014, 05:07 PM
I have a Swedish Mauser CG63 that I love. No good pics of it, though.

DocGKR
09-14-2014, 05:20 PM
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/DocGKR2/M1H1_zps4d16e8ed.jpg

Tamara
09-14-2014, 05:32 PM
I understand the why, Doc, but that doesn't make it feel any less wrong. ;)

LittleLebowski
09-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Best pic of my CG63. 1909 marked receiver. Bluing like black glass.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/Guns/DSCN0660.jpg

Tamara
09-14-2014, 05:53 PM

I've got a little blonde-stocked M1896/38 Carl Gustav short rifle with a receiver dated 1900. We could put 'em in a gun safe, play a little ABBA, you could have the pick of the litter. :D

LittleLebowski
09-14-2014, 05:54 PM
I've got a little blonde-stocked M1896/38 Carl Gustav short rifle with a receiver dated 1900. We could put 'em in a gun safe, play a little ABBA, you could have the pick of the litter. :D

Is yours a shooter as well? Love mine. I sold that FN SPR in the picture but never selling the CG63.

Kyle Reese
09-14-2014, 05:57 PM

Nice! We need to get that thing to Phelps one day!

Tamara
09-14-2014, 06:02 PM
All the shooting I've done with it has been of the "Okay, now bust that rock over there on the other side of the quarry" variety. I think it's got enough throat erosion to keep it out of benchrest games. :(

Trooper224
09-14-2014, 06:04 PM

Niiiice.

Trooper224
09-14-2014, 06:05 PM
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/DocGKR2/M1H1_zps4d16e8ed.jpg

I'm sure Sgt. Stryker is rolling in his grave right now!

LOKNLOD
09-14-2014, 06:30 PM
I'm sure Sgt. Stryker is rolling in his grave right now!

Perhaps, but if Stryker's guns were set up like that maybe he'd be alive to tell us himself? ;)

I really dig that Stg with wood furniture, too.

I have a very irrational desire for a one of the 16" Springfield M1As with wood stocks. Don't ask me why but aesthetically it's just so dadgum slick looking.

DocGKR
09-14-2014, 08:12 PM
As soon as I can leave California, all my M1A's and .308 bolt guns are getting sold in favor of two 16" .308 AR's...

Odin Bravo One
09-15-2014, 02:30 AM
I have a Garand. I have a carbine. A Tommy. BAR is next.........but none take the place of the little blue pill induced wood.

Seriously, not one smart ass comment? I know I have been an epic asshole today, but I expected at least Tam to chime in on that one.

Drang
09-15-2014, 02:41 AM
I understand the why, Doc, but that doesn't make it feel any less wrong. ;)

My own Garand was so thoroughly de-milled that if/when I get one with GI sights and the markings intact, I will probably tacticool the old one.

Tamara
09-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Seriously, not one smart ass comment? I know I have been an epic asshole today, but I expected at least Tam to chime in on that one.

I didn't see anything particularly controversial there.

(This place suffers from the lack of a "deadpan" smiley. :D )

Tamara
09-15-2014, 06:50 AM
My own Garand was so thoroughly de-milled that if/when I get one with GI sights and the markings intact, I will probably tacticool the old one.

Like that chopped .308 Garand Oleg has. In for a penny, in for a pound, can't un-ring a bell, and all that. As soon as I'd shed a tear and choked back my urp, I'd have that thing Ultimak'ed out to a "T".

NickA
09-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Nobody wants to be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back and run you off forever. You've been a little... tense ;)

Oh and to celebrate our newfound profanity rights: that FAL is kitten-damn sexy.

Trooper224
09-15-2014, 12:37 PM
that FAL is kitten-damn sexy.

I'm thinking of mounting a Holland rear sight on it. That will increase the sexy even more!

http://gunthings.com/hollandrearsight.jpg

Trooper224
09-15-2014, 02:09 PM
What's a man-gun need? A piece of cold steel on the business end of course!
http://m0.i.pbase.com/g9/64/521964/2/157395550.VfPIvbiT.jpg

Tamara
09-15-2014, 02:17 PM
What's a man-gun need? A piece of cold steel on the business end of course!

Ooh! :cool:

I have an... er, extensive collection of old military rifles ranging from the common to the not-so-common. One thing I miss about the gun shows in Knoxville was this dude who'd set up a table with nice old militaria on the table and behind the table he'd have a few drywall buckets full of odd bayonets. No matter what I dragged to him off the show floor, he'd have the right pigsticker for the end of it. (Well, except that Hanyang. But who knows what the right bayonet is for one of those?)

LittleLebowski
09-15-2014, 02:24 PM
I have had an irrational lust for a SOCOM "tanker" like below for years.

http://www.onpointsupply.com/images/socom_gi16_14.jpg

Trooper224
09-15-2014, 02:32 PM
The best description I've read on the FAL was, "It's a Battle Axe not a dental pick", so I have no problem with a carbine length FAL like mine. On the other hand, having used an M-14 in the service, as well as having competed with one, I have to say that chopping one down into a short gun rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

LOKNLOD
09-15-2014, 02:44 PM

YES!

NH Shooter
09-15-2014, 05:44 PM

Yes +1

To the OP, nice wood!

I like wood too:

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/1187-17.jpg

Odin Bravo One
09-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Nobody wants to be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back and run you off forever. You've been a little... tense ;)

It is not "tension" Nick...........it is called "Tired of being surrounded by morons who claim to know more about my job than I do"..........

I am surprised though.........softballed in like that and all............

Malamute
09-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Great picture 224! I really like the '03, but admit to liking the FAL quite a lot. Never seen one in all wood that I recall, and nice wood at that.

Trooper224
09-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Great picture 224! I really like the '03, but admit to liking the FAL quite a lot. Never seen one in all wood that I recall, and nice wood at that.

Thanks! I did the stocks on the '03 and the FAL, the M1 wood is original GI. The wood on the FAL is a European Black Walnut set DSA used to offer about 12-13 years ago. Most of the fitting was good to go except for a little work I had to do around the gas block. Other than that all I had to do was apply the finish. The '03 stock was another thing entirely. The original barrel, action and stock all dated from 1918. However, the only two parts original to each other were the barrel and action. Otherwise it was a parts gun. The barrel was a sewer pipe and the stock was too shrunk up and warped to be usable. I managed to track down an unused new-old-stock barrel dated from 1942. I sent the action off to a gunsmith in Denver and had him rebarrel it and I did the stock. The company advertised it as finished and "drop-in". In reality it was more akin to the condition of the wood from a black powder rifle kit. I spent quite a bit of time sanding and working with a dremel tool to get the final product. It's a nail driver but the 1905 pattern sights are tools of the devil for middle aged eyes! :D

Malamute
09-15-2014, 09:37 PM
It turned out really nice, good work!

All the '03's and '03-A3's I've had have been pretty good shooters. They are pretty fun to shoot as accurate as they are.

I've had an attraction to FAL's for a long time, but have never owned one. Odd considering how much I used to trade around.

Tamara
09-15-2014, 10:26 PM
The thread title refers to nice wood on rifles, I see Malamute has posted in it, and I get skeered to open it again for fear he'll have posted another pic of a gorgeous rifle artfully posed in some alpine meadow...

WDW
09-16-2014, 03:39 PM
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/10mm4me/image_zps64ea4779.jpg (http://s865.photobucket.com/user/10mm4me/media/image_zps64ea4779.jpg.html)

Tamara
09-16-2014, 04:06 PM
You know who designed that shotgun? That's right...

WDW
09-16-2014, 04:10 PM
You know who designed that shotgun? That's right...

It was Gaston Remington's great uncle John Moses Colt right?

ssb
09-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Finnish M-39 I picked up at the fun show this weekend. An M-39 has been on my "want, but don't want to pay $400 for a Mosin" list for quite some time. Stock is beat to crap but the bore is excellent -- as was the price. It appears to like whatever ammunition was in those brown paper-wrapped bricks I bought for $5.50/ea, and seems to hold great potential for accuracy. It's a 1943 VKT-built rifle.

http://i.imgur.com/Eie8e6V.jpg

Drang
09-17-2014, 01:17 AM

Like that chopped .308 Garand Oleg has. In for a penny, in for a pound, can't un-ring a bell, and all that. As soon as I'd shed a tear and choked back my urp, I'd have that thing Ultimak'ed out to a "T".
It was my first gun. Started paying $20/a week on it, made the tenth and final payment on my eighteenth birthday. So I'm not planning to get rid of it if I can avoid it.

Matt O
09-17-2014, 06:05 AM
Those are some beautiful rifles! Full on battle rifles in wood with iron sights are dead sexy.

Lately I have been battling a serious temptation to get a garand. Partly because it's a garand, partly for sentimental purposes, etc. I'm not sure how much I'd actually end up shooting it and I'm not much of a collector, but something tells me I'll regret passing up on the opportunity in 5-10 years once they're (virtually) all gone.

Crow Hunter
09-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Thanks! I did the stocks on the '03 and the FAL, the M1 wood is original GI. The wood on the FAL is a European Black Walnut set DSA used to offer about 12-13 years ago. Most of the fitting was good to go except for a little work I had to do around the gas block. Other than that all I had to do was apply the finish. The '03 stock was another thing entirely. The original barrel, action and stock all dated from 1918. However, the only two parts original to each other were the barrel and action. Otherwise it was a parts gun. The barrel was a sewer pipe and the stock was too shrunk up and warped to be usable. I managed to track down an unused new-old-stock barrel dated from 1942. I sent the action off to a gunsmith in Denver and had him rebarrel it and I did the stock. The company advertised it as finished and "drop-in". In reality it was more akin to the condition of the wood from a black powder rifle kit. I spent quite a bit of time sanding and working with a dremel tool to get the final product. It's a nail driver but the 1905 pattern sights are tools of the devil for middle aged eyes! :D

You did excellent work on theat 1903 stock. I was actually scrolling down to see if anyone else had commented on how beautiful the stock was and in such good condition when I read this.

Having something beautiful in your hands is great but having something beautiful that you also had a hand in making is priceless.

Good job!

Trooper224
09-17-2014, 08:04 AM
You did excellent work on theat 1903 stock. I was actually scrolling down to see if anyone else had commented on how beautiful the stock was and in such good condition when I read this.

Having something beautiful in your hands is great but having something beautiful that you also had a hand in making is priceless.

Good job!

Thanks, I truly appreciate that. The 1903 has been a grail gun for me ever since I saw Sgt. York for the first time when I was seven or eight. I didn't know what Gary Cooper's rifle was but I knew it was cool. :D When I found this one I knew it was going to be a project, but I didn't know just how much of one it would turn out to be. I did get an inkling when I took it to the range for the first time and got satellite dish size groups for my trouble. After obtaining a stock from a professional gunsmith turned into an unmitigated disaster I decided to just do it myself. I should have done so right from the start and saved the money. Of all my rifles that one would probably go last due to the sweat equity I have invested in it.

BTW, if anyone is restoring an old stock, or finishing a new one like this, two coats of Morgan Valley Forge Lancaster Maple Stain resulted in the proper reddish hue found on the original '03 stocks. The color on this one is an exact match to the original.

JAD
09-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Lately I have been battling a serious temptation to get a garand. Partly because it's a garand, partly for sentimental purposes, etc. I'm not sure how much I'd actually end up shooting it and I'm not much of a collector, but something tells me I'll regret passing up on the opportunity in 5-10 years once they're (virtually) all gone.

I copped the same jones a while ago and gave in. I am very pleased that I did, even if I so far haven't found time to wring it out properly. Plus, murka.

Trooper224
09-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Plus, murka.

And that's reason enough!

EM_
09-21-2014, 12:23 PM
I've got a line on an '03 (Sporterized waaayyyy back in the day) with the butter knife bolt lever and the Baush and Lomb scope with the adjustable rings/mount.

This thread has helped me decide I'll be snagging it... :cool:

Tamara
09-21-2014, 01:12 PM
It was my first gun. Started paying $20/a week on it, made the tenth and final payment on my eighteenth birthday. So I'm not planning to get rid of it if I can avoid it.

FWIW, you're gonna dig the cover story in November's issue of S.W.A.T., then. :)

Trooper224
09-21-2014, 06:19 PM
I've got a line on an '03 (Sporterized waaayyyy back in the day) with the butter knife bolt lever and the Baush and Lomb scope with the adjustable rings/mount.

This thread has helped me decide I'll be snagging it... :cool:

While bubbaized sporters make me cringe, a quality job on the '03 from back in the day is a thing of beauty.

Malamute
09-21-2014, 09:48 PM
While bubbaized sporters make me cringe, a quality job on the '03 from back in the day is a thing of beauty.

I'm with you on that. I truly like nice sporters.

Military bolt guns have reached an almost cult status in many circles, even guns that aren't worth that much (yet). I do like the looks and feel of the '03's quite a lot in original configuration, but a well done sporter is much nicer to hunt with and shoot in general.

Trooper224
09-22-2014, 02:18 AM
The 1903 in all it's forms is a favorite of mine. Professionally done sporters from the days when '03's weren't worth anything as a collectable don't bother me. The nice ones really have class. A couple of years ago I found one at my local Cabela's. It had been built up into a rifle for long range competition, with a mile long barrel and one of the most beautiful walnut stocks I've ever seen. I have zero use for a rifle like that, but if it hadn't carried a typically crack smoking Cabela's price I might have walked out with it. They currently have an '03A3 that had been built up into a poor man's match rifle. Zero collectability but cool to me none the less. Too bad they have it priced as if it were an actual National Match Rifle.