PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Lengths

AHL
02-27-2011, 02:30 AM
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages in a weapons barrel length, in terms of the weapons performance? For example the P30 and P30L differ by about .6". In my minds eye, someone could learn to use either well with practice (subjective), but would like to know if there are other opinions on this subject (objectively) that makes one better than the other?

Tony

Red Leader
02-27-2011, 03:38 AM
Grayguns has an interesting article related to this topic, dealing specifically with short barrels on a .45 acp platform. You can read more about it here:

http://grayguns.com/physics-and-short-45-caliber-pistols-a-discussion/

I know that when I was more active in posting on a well known 1911 forum, it was widely accepted that, at least for the 1911 platform in 45 acp, anything shorter than 5" meant sacrificing reliability, the more the shorter you went. True or not, those who believed it so had much, much more experience with the 1911 than myself.

jslaker
02-27-2011, 04:35 AM
I've always been under the impression that the biggest advantage of long slide competition oriented guns like the P30L or G34/35 was the increased sight radius.

Though to be fair I've never been curious enough to look up chrono numbers or the like.

ToddG
02-27-2011, 11:00 AM
You cannot take the operating issues of short-barreled 1911s and assume they will transfer to short-barreled .45s of different design (Glock, SIG, HK, etc.). In my experience, Glock 30s run as well as Glock 21s, HK45 Compacts run as well as HK45s (that's saying something!), SIG's old P245 ran as well as the P220, etc.

There are just far too many variables affecting a gun's reliability to make universal statements about one particular dimension or feature.

To answer the OP, as others have said it's sight radius and velocity that sway most competition shooters to opt for longer slide variants. Personally, I've always competed with my carry pistol and never felt that it was 1/2" shorter slide that kept me from being a national champion. :cool:

Red Leader
02-27-2011, 05:58 PM
ToddG,

Absolutely. I have a 4" XD45 in carry rotation and have looked at other shorter-than-5" carry weapons chambered in 45 acp. Right now I'm strongly considering the M&P45c since I've heard so many great things about it.

The link was of general interest and my limited knowledge of the relation between barrel length and reliability in the 45 ACP chambering seemed to center around the 1911 platform. At least that's what most of the 1911 guys talk about:D

I'm more inclined to agree with your thoughts than disagree:cool:

AHL
03-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks for all the insight.

F-Trooper05
03-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Personally, I've always competed with my carry pistol and never felt that it was 1/2" shorter slide that kept me from being a national champion. :cool:

Not me. I always blame the length of my pistol for my piss-poor performance in competitions. It's a convenient excuse.

JM Campbell
03-07-2011, 01:44 AM
I have a P30LS and find it one hell of a shooter, I plan to use it as my edc. I find the length difference for the P30's for ccw not a issue. Fits in a shaggy just fine and works for me. I'm 250lb and 6'2" with somewhat of a spair tire.

3-7-77
03-07-2011, 05:34 PM
I personally prefer longer barreled pistols, but I don't find they're anymore accurate than their shorter barreled counterparts. I have found longer barreled pistols to be less sensitive than shorter barreled pistols. This is from my personal experience with a Glock 23 and M&P9c when comparing them to a G22 and M&P9 FS. Shorter pistols seem to be more sensitive to use induced malfunctions, especially the .40 caliber varieties.

In regards to shorter 1911s, I think the troubles start when a bushing-less barrel is used, which is usually around the 4" mark. 4.25" models that use a barrel with a bushing don't seem to have as many issues.