PDA

View Full Version : AAR – Pistol Fundamentals with Performance On Demand Shooting

dustyvarmint
09-12-2014, 07:37 PM
The following is my AAR from a recent Pistol Fundamentals course held by Performance On Demand Shooting

1) Provider: Performance On Demand Shooting
2) Owner: Adrian, Mike, Pete
3) Phone / Web: 608-512-8061 / http://www.podshooting.com/
4) E-mail: info@podshooting.com
5) When: August 29, 2013
6) Where: Dane County Law Enforcement Training Center, Waunakee, WI
7) Accommodations: N/A
8) Gear used: Glock 17, Uncle Mike's Kydex paddle holster, Uncle Mike’s Kydex magazine pouches, Bison Design instructor belt and shooter produced reloads.
9) Cost: $110.
10) Did weather adversely affect training: No
11) Instructors’ Competence: Instructors’ skills and ability to apply them greatly exceeded my own, of course.
12) Instructors’ Ethics: Excellent
13) Safely Conducted: Yes
14) Condition of Equipment: Excellent
15) Food: N/A
16) Number of overall firearms’ related training classes for myself: 5
17) Certificate issued: Yes
18) Training time: 8 hours
19) Written training plan: Yes Followed: Yes
20) Instructor to student ratio: 3/13
21) Round count: 350*
22) Recommended: Highly
23) General comments: Class subjects covered or drilled, directly from the course outline, included Stance, Grip, Sight alignment & Sight picture, Trigger press, Follow Through, Diagnosing shooter errors and how to correct them, How to shoot faster, How to increase your speed through economy of motion, Accuracy at 25 yards and beyond, How to continue your own training from here and dry fire.

The class helped me verify that two trigger press concerns I had (too much/not enough finger on a Glock and 2nd joint of index finger rubbing frame) could, indeed, be problematic and I’m practicing to address them. The “bowling” in my draw/presentation was also identified (again) – I’ve struggled with this and continue to do so. Additionally, I was able to refine and redesign my dry-fire program around what I learned. The G17 performed flawlessly as did the rest of my equipment.

*My post-class round count seemed a little short, but didn’t make sense when compared to the course outline so I’ll just say that even though I’m very ammunition conservative I’d like to have seen the round count go higher. That is not for the sake of round count, itself, but for additional guided repetitions and feedback on any and all of the drills by instructors/observers who demonstrated they were able to critically do so.

Approximately 9 of the 13 attendees were LEOs. I wasn’t sure what to expect in the learning environment from the instructors or students as I tend to absolutely not be a “tactical Timmy” either in equipment used or mindset. That concern was totally unfounded. Pistol Fundamentals was not specifically geared towards LE, competition, self-defense, etc. It was exactly as the name implies, pistol fundamentals.

The Dane County Law Enforcement Training Center has a body armor requirement. This would have been a no-go for me had I known the requirement when signing up. Wearing body armor for the first time on a hot, humid day when I was paying to improve my pistol skills wouldn’t have worked. Fortunately, POD was able to work that out positively.

The class was relatively local and the cost was very reasonable. The instructors are articulate (meaning Pete moves his arms like G.I. Joe), are responsive to communications, communicate well when doing so, and present a professional business front.

Al T.
09-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Good AAR, thanks. Were they teaching the four count draw? I resisted it for years till Tiger McKee made the light-bulb come on. :)

dustyvarmint
09-13-2014, 06:47 PM
The draw taught was more of a diagonal up draw with a tip-out from the holster. Ron Avery-ish.