PDA

View Full Version : New to everything!

Anitcol
09-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Good evening everyone, I am new here and new to shooting!! I'm a 24 years old and just getting into shooting now. I had a grandfather who loved guns and an uncle who was a gun smith but unfortunately they both passed when I was younger. Well, it runs in my blood and now i'm looking into getting into the sport/hobby.

It's been a very long time since I shot a gun and i'm looking for some feed back. I am a stocky, strong man and looking into buying my first gun as a .44 mag more particular, Redhawk with 5.5 barrel. I first plan to shoot .44 specials to get a feel/plink before loading the .44 mag ammo. Since ammo can be a little on the higher end with cost, and I am the type of person to know the IN and OUT of everything, I want to start reloading as well.

I plan on target practicing and carrying it with me when I go hiking in the deep woods in NH/Vermont/Maine.

P.S. I chose the RH for it's reputable reliability, and it's ability to withstand hot loads if needed. And of course, for some forsaken reason I enjoy the looks of the Redhawk over the SW 629.

SecondsCount
09-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Welcome aboard!

Did you join today or in 2012? The reason I ask is that the join date in your post shows Aug 2012.

Anitcol
09-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Welcome aboard!

Did you join today or in 2012? The reason I ask is that the join date in your post shows Aug 2012.

I asked same question, looked up last posts and one was of a 1911 that was my grand father's. Apparently I re-found these forums!! Unfortunately due to young man Iife issues, I never got to use the 1911 or get into shooting sooner.

JonInWA
09-12-2014, 03:56 PM
A Ruger Redhawk is a fine revolver. A good book revolver-specific book that you might enjoy is The Gun Digest Book of the Revolver, by Grant Cunningham.

Best, Jon

Anitcol
09-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Thank you, i'll definitely check it out.

Any recommendations on reloading? I am looking at the most cost-effective way to do it and so far, Lee Breech Lock Hand Press with Lee 3 die set for .44.

Malamute
09-13-2014, 09:55 PM
I cant comment much on the current loading tools, theres a lot out that I haven't used. I started with lee Loaders, then quickly went to a used single stage RCBS press, then got a Dillon 550 a few years ago.

There may be other powders people like, but I've had pretty good results with 6 1/2 grs Unique in the 44 spl with 240-250 gr cast bullets (about 850 fps), its just a little bit over the old factory 246 gr round nose bullets. In the magnum cases, 9 grs Unique with 240-250 gr cast bullets is very pleasant to shoot, and gives an intermediate level of power (about 1000 fps or a bit more) and a little better trajectory over longer distances. I use 2400 powder for the full power stuff, with a little use of H-110 for the heavier bullets in the 300 gr range.

Theres probably cleaner powders than Unique, but I started with it ages ago, and haven't had much trouble with it when running it at levels in the medium range. I don't think its at its best in extra light loads, or in full power magnum type loads.

SecondsCount
09-13-2014, 10:43 PM
The Lee hand press is a really slow way to make ammo. If you are going to shoot more than 50 rounds a month then I would suggest their Turret press kits. It will cost more up front but will give you lots of room to grow. https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41&vmcchk=1&Itemid=41

LSP552
09-14-2014, 09:42 AM
A good quality single stage press is a great way to start reloading. I still use the RCBS Rock Chucker I bought in 1979. If starting new, I'd probably go Redding for no particular reason other than they reloading stuff is top notch across the board and their dies outstanding. If you start loading in volume, the Dillon 550 is the way to go. My Rock Chucker sees duty loading rifle rounds and my relatively low volume revolver rounds (.44 Spl and .45 Colt) while my DIllon does the 9mm thing. I have Dillon conversion kits for .44 Spl and .45 Colt but I find it easier to just load a few on the RCBS. If I were shooting these in the same volume as 9mm, then it would be different.

Reloading manuals are your friends.

Oh, my next gun will be a 4" Redhawk.

Ken