PDA

View Full Version : Get your mind right: pre-buzzer routine

NETim
09-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Because I have yet to get the entire checklist thoroughly ingrained, I made myself a list and laminated it. It rides in my range bag and easily accessable. When I'm "on deck", reviewing the list is part of my routine to get "my mind right." Motivation and technique both appear on the list.

This is what I try to do:

Eyes wide open!!!! Force both eyes wide open to help reduce closing the eyes at the shot and squinting while shooting.
Look at the sights! Well yeah, but it's amazing how I try to avoid looking at the sights and try to see the pretty holes in the target while firing.
Get front sight down in rear sight. There are times when I don't wait for the front sight to drop back into the rear sight notch.
Pull trigger straight back. A reminder that no matter else, trigger control is paramount.
Slow Down!! I want to go fast like the big boys. Gotta run at my own pace or disaster awaits.
Aim small! Pick a spot on the "A" or "0" zone, not the entire zone. Don't flock shoot.
Grip HARD!!! Recoil mitigation and control at speed. Consistency.
Thumb down hard on safety! The bane of the 1911. Got to keep the thumb down hard. Support hand thumb heel wants to push safety back on.
Elbow up, rotate hands in. Vogelization of grip. Works for me. Torquing in hands aids in consistency in recoil recovery.
They're watching. Show 'em how. In honor of the a-holes in a certain local anti-CCW PD who don't think private citizens are capable. Uh-huh.
The buzzer sets you free. Vogelism. An attempt to alleviate performance anxiety.
Slow down!!! Once again, an admonition to shoot at my speed.

PPGMD
09-11-2014, 08:14 PM
I just yell "Leeroy Jenkins!"

Since I shoot three different sports the routine is different for each one.

USPSA: Honestly I spend more time thinking about my stage plan, in particular any gotchas. One thing I like to do is to look at the first target (if visible), where I am going, or a gun/item I have to pick up per the stage plan.

NRA AP: I go over each string mentally to try to prevent screwing things up by shooting the wrong amount of shots in each target.

Steel Challenge: Again mostly trying to remember my stage plan, and telling myself to slow down (I have a tendency to outrun my sights).

av8usn
09-11-2014, 08:53 PM
I am very meticulous in stage planning when shooting both USPSA and IDPA. I remember all the basics, sight picture, extend and press, focus, breathe, and NO penalties. Then I hear the "Standby," Beep and I am on my way to another solar system!

Mr_White
09-12-2014, 10:44 AM
I just yell "Leeroy Jenkins!"

I am always really torn between trying to win and doing silly stuff like talking trash to the targets, punching them, using a knife on them, belt buckle shuriken, etc., basically just making a big mockery out of the whole thing. Not out of disrespect for the competition, but more out of me just being a little bit of a clown. So I compromise and wear the hat with the leopard print and carry the Fully Bearded Operator Spongebob Squarepants backpack, but also really try to win. The middle path is a wise way.

jetfire
09-12-2014, 11:11 AM
I try to not do anything right before the buzzer. If the x minutes I've had to prepare my stage plan before I'm ready to shoot hasn't been enough, no amount of mambo-jumbo is going to help me.

When I'm on deck however, I'll take that opportunity to visualize my stage plan while the previous shooter shoots. Basically close my eyes, wait for the real life beep, then execute my plan in my head.

Drang
09-12-2014, 11:14 AM
I am always really torn between trying to win and doing silly stuff like talking trash to the targets, punching them, using a knife on them, belt buckle shuriken, etc., basically just making a big mockery out of the whole thing. Not out of disrespect for the competition, but more out of me just being a little bit of a clown. I never, EVER, fixed my bayonet on the M16 range...

Josh Runkle
09-12-2014, 11:19 AM
The title suggested that this thread was for a pre-gaming routine for a night of solid drinking.

Clusterfrack
09-12-2014, 11:24 AM
My pre-buzzer routine mainly takes the form of regular practice, stage planning, and visualization. I do not focus on technique at matches. When I get to the line, I try to clear my mind after the last visualization cycle. I take a sight picture (if allowed), load and make ready, then holster. I keep my hand on the gun and do a controlled breath: in through the nose and out the mouth. Then I will usually scan the first sequence of targets or actuators, and focus on the first one.

This is what's been working for me, but I'm concerned that relying too much on a routine is going to be a crutch. When my routine gets buggered by something like having to score or RO, or just wanting to chat with my buddies, I have noticed that my performance can suffer.

PPGMD
09-12-2014, 11:39 AM
So I decided to take his idea with the 3x5 note card, and work it toward my needs.

I created a set of note cards with all the Bianchi stages, times, and such. That way when I am at the range practicing I have something in my range bag to quickly reference for the par times.

BigT
09-12-2014, 12:00 PM
That's a lot of stuff to have going on when you should be trying to get the subconscious to take over.

I do some breathing exercises a free diver mate taught me that seem to help me get oxygenated, and stop me thinking too much. A quick "here we go" and then let rip. That's for IPSC

NEPAKevin
09-12-2014, 01:22 PM
I wiggle my toes and make fists with them. Combination of recommendations by Matt Burkett and the guy on the plane talking to Bruce Willis on the first Die Hard movie.

okie john
09-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Because I have yet to get the entire checklist thoroughly ingrained, I made myself a list and laminated it. It rides in my range bag and easily accessable. When I'm "on deck", reviewing the list is part of my routine to get "my mind right." Motivation and technique both appear on the list.

This is what I try to do:

Eyes wide open!!!! Force both eyes wide open to help reduce closing the eyes at the shot and squinting while shooting.
Look at the sights! Well yeah, but it's amazing how I try to avoid looking at the sights and try to see the pretty holes in the target while firing.
Get front sight down in rear sight. There are times when I don't wait for the front sight to drop back into the rear sight notch.
Pull trigger straight back. A reminder that no matter else, trigger control is paramount.
Slow Down!! I want to go fast like the big boys. Gotta run at my own pace or disaster awaits.
Aim small! Pick a spot on the "A" or "0" zone, not the entire zone. Don't flock shoot.
Grip HARD!!! Recoil mitigation and control at speed. Consistency.
Thumb down hard on safety! The bane of the 1911. Got to keep the thumb down hard. Support hand thumb heel wants to push safety back on.
Elbow up, rotate hands in. Vogelization of grip. Works for me. Torquing in hands aids in consistency in recoil recovery.
They're watching. Show 'em how. In honor of the a-holes in a certain local anti-CCW PD who don't think private citizens are capable. Uh-huh.
The buzzer sets you free. Vogelism. An attempt to alleviate performance anxiety.
Slow down!!! Once again, an admonition to shoot at my speed.

You're overthinking it.

Points 2-9 are marksmanship fundamentals, which should come from the spinal cord, not the brain.

Point 10 probably causes you more trouble than it solves. At a match, everyone but the SO is irrelevant--treat them accordingly. Carlos Hathcock's ideas about "getting into the bubble" will help with this.

When I'm in The Hole, I make sure that I have enough loaded mags to shoot the stage and that my shirt is tucked in so it won't foul up my draw.

When I'm On Deck, I move as close to the start point as is safe and stare into the dirt trying to empty my mind. When the SO clears the range after the shooter before me, I move to the start box and square up on the first target while everyone is taping and scoring, then to back to staring at the dirt. When the SO approaches me to begin the stage, I follow his commands, go through Line Demeanor (Pat McNamara term), and holster with a minimum of fuss. At the buzzer, I just try to flow through the stage being aware of what I'm doing but not judging myself, which I can do later.

Brian Enos has some great thoughts on this in the first chapters of his book http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Shooting-Fundamentals-Brian-Enos/dp/0962692506 His advice works pretty well for me.

Okie John

NETim
09-16-2014, 08:39 AM
You're overthinking it.

Points 2-9 are marksmanship fundamentals, which should come from the spinal cord, not the brain.

Point 10 probably causes you more trouble than it solves. At a match, everyone but the SO is irrelevant--treat them accordingly. Carlos Hathcock's ideas about "getting into the bubble" will help with this.

When I'm in The Hole, I make sure that I have enough loaded mags to shoot the stage and that my shirt is tucked in so it won't foul up my draw.

When I'm On Deck, I move as close to the start point as is safe and stare into the dirt trying to empty my mind. When the SO clears the range after the shooter before me, I move to the start box and square up on the first target while everyone is taping and scoring, then to back to staring at the dirt. When the SO approaches me to begin the stage, I follow his commands, go through Line Demeanor (Pat McNamara term), and holster with a minimum of fuss. At the buzzer, I just try to flow through the stage being aware of what I'm doing but not judging myself, which I can do later.

Brian Enos has some great thoughts on this in the first chapters of his book http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Shooting-Fundamentals-Brian-Enos/dp/0962692506 His advice works pretty well for me.

Okie John

I haven't managed quite yet to get this stuff on auto pilot for some reason. I'm not thinking about the marksmanship bit while shooting but afterwards, I review my performance and see that I didn't grip properly or wait for the sights to settle often enough. It's getting better, but it's just not totally there yet. I find my little card helps remind me of what I need to do and refocuses my mind. I tend to lose focus while jabbering with other shooters and taping targets and waiting for my turn.

And I have Enos' book. It's a good reference, even though I bought waaaayyyyy too early in my career. I was still taking baby steps then. :)

Thanks!

Clusterfrack
09-16-2014, 09:13 AM
I recently trained with Steve Anderson, and bought his new book, Get to Work (http://shop.andersonshooting.com/Books/). I like his approach a lot.