PDA

View Full Version : 200 Round Range-Session-In-A-Box

Jay Cunningham
02-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Here’s a ready-made drill set you can grab and run with… this IS NOT intended to be shot over and over again... this is intended as a way to start if you don't have a plan and don't know how to begin figuring one out.

You should be able to get in a lot of dry fire of your handgun at home. You should be able to get in dry one “shot” draws at home. You cannot really simulate shooting at speed or shooting on the move or dealing with grip vs. recoil at home… with that in mind:

◊ Hackathorn Three Target Test (round count: 18)

NRA five-yard bullseye centers
10 yards, from the ready
6 rounds slow fire
6 rounds in 10 seconds
6 rounds in five seconds

◊ One – Reload – Two (round count: 15)

round in chamber, empty mag in pistol, full spare magazine
5 yards, -0 body of IDPA target, from draw, 5 iterations
individual par or par = 6.00 sec.

◊ Dot Torture (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?110-Dot-Torture) (round count: 50)

3 / 5 yards (3 yards for par time stages, 5 for slow fire stages)
#2 par time: 4 seconds
#3 and #4 par time: 5 seconds
#6 and #7 par time: 8 seconds
#9 and #10 par time: 7 seconds

◊ Bill Drills (round count: 24)

5 yards, from draw, 4 iterations
individual par or par = 3.5 sec.
Six shots are fired as quickly as the shooter can achieve six hits on the target.

◊ Press Six (http://pistol-training.com/drills/press-six) = (round count: 62)

◊ Hackathorn Self Defense Practice Drill (round count: 30)

IPSC target
5 yards, 1 ˝ seconds, from the ready, one shot to head. (X3)
5 yards, 2 seconds, draw, one shot to head. (X3)
5 yards, 2 seconds, from the ready, SHO, two shots to body. (X2)
7 yards, 2 seconds, facing target, draw, two shots to body. (X1)
7 yards, 2 seconds, facing 90° to left of target, draw, two shots to body. (X1)
7 yards, 2 seconds, facing 90° to right of target, draw, two shots to body. (X1)
7 yards, 4 seconds, withdrawing to 10-12 yards, three shots to body. (X2)
10 yards, 3 seconds, start with gun on target and slide locked back, reload and fire one shot to body. (X3)
15 yards, 2 ˝ seconds, draw and fire one shot to body (X5)
Head shots only count if you hit the A zone. Body shots count if you hit the A, B, or C zones.

Total: 199 rounds pistol.

Use this as a way to determine both your strengths and alternately what you need to work on, then develop your following range sessions accordingly.

:D

Thrill
02-27-2011, 10:14 AM
These drills look very interesting, but I'm not sure I understand them all from the brief descriptions. Like, what is "par" time, etc.? We (wife and I) are complete newbies and need all the help we can get.

Our total experience to this point has been shooting a home-defense S&W 38sp snubbie a half dozen times in the last 20 years, and completing the NRA Basic Pistol Class in January. We're eager to learn and to practice, but browsing here made me realizing this is a much more complex art than we had imagined!

With that in mind, where should a couple of total n00b's start with practice / drills so as not to learn "bad" habits while waiting for our next class, probably the VSM Basic in September?

Thanks, and thanks so much for this resource (the whole forum).

PS I think I found the link to the pistol-training site with better descriptions and images to print & shoot at,...
However, any advice is still very much appreciated!

sff70
02-27-2011, 05:39 PM
PAR time is a specified time to complete a drill. You use a shot timer.

Set the timer to:

Delay start (usually a random delay, from 2 to 4 seconds)
PAR time (the time to complete the string of fire, let's say 5 seconds)

-Get ready to go (load the gun, assume the start position, etc)
-Press the start button on the timer (5 seconds in this case).
-A few seconds later (between 2 and 4 seconds), the timer will beep.
-When the beep sounds, perform the actions you wish to perform.
-5 seconds after the first beep sounds, another beep will sound (time between the
beeps is the PAR time that you set)

If you completed your actions prior to the PAR time, good.

If the second beep sounded prior to you completing your intended actions, then you know you were slow, and can now consider how you can become more efficient (notice I didn't say "go faster").

Look at some of TLG's videos on the pistol-training.com website and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Among the reasons to use a timer: what feels "fast" or "slow" is not always so. Using a timer can help you determine what's really going on.

Hope that helps

These drills look very interesting, but I'm not sure I understand them all from the brief descriptions. Like, what is "par" time, etc.? We (wife and I) are complete newbies and need all the help we can get.

Our total experience to this point has been shooting a home-defense S&W 38sp snubbie a half dozen times in the last 20 years, and completing the NRA Basic Pistol Class in January. We're eager to learn and to practice, but browsing here made me realizing this is a much more complex art than we had imagined!

With that in mind, where should a couple of total n00b's start with practice / drills so as not to learn "bad" habits while waiting for our next class, probably the VSM Basic in September?

Thanks, and thanks so much for this resource (the whole forum).

PS I think I found the link to the pistol-training site with better descriptions and images to print & shoot at,...
However, any advice is still very much appreciated!

Thrill
02-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks sff70! That is helpful. So is the pistol-training site!

part-time shooter
03-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Jay how would you modify that for use on a square range? i.e. nothing from draw.

Start from low ready or as you press out?

Would you swap any of the drills? dot turture and press six are draw heavy on purpose, just skip the draw portion?

Assume for the moment that the shooter has a firm grasp of the fundamentals and can actually do the drills in the time limits dictated.

Thanks.

Jay Cunningham
03-03-2011, 09:27 AM
This is a very loose drillset and if you need to modify it for your needs - go ahead!

texag
02-20-2012, 08:56 PM
This was the catalyst I needed to start going to the range with a plan, and also provides a great framework to modify for a focus on certain aspects of my shooting.

THANK YOU!

bdcheung
02-23-2012, 09:50 PM
That was embarrassing. I scored 113 out of a possible 199. Breakdown is as follows:

Hack 3-Target: 7 hits (39%)
1r2: 9 hits (60%)
Dot Torture: 31 hits (62%) my lowest at this range. The time crunch really degraded my performance. I normally score 45+ at this distance.
Bill Drills: 20 hits with 3.5s PAR time (83%)
Press Six: 37 hits (60%) another all-time low for me at this distance.
Hackathorn Self Defense: 9 hits (30%). I didn't have an IPSC target and so substituted a paper plate and index card.

This was also my highest round count range session to date. I normally only fire 100-150 rounds per session. The fatigue was noticeable at the end, but that's not an excuse for such a poor showing!

Looks like I need to continue working on my press out and first shot. I feel like I should be able to clean the Press Six and Dot Torture drills up to 15'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk