PDA

View Full Version : cylinder replacement questions

rathos
09-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Will replacing a revolver cylinder throw it out of time? Is this something that needs to be done by a gunsmith? A little background: I am looking to send my 442 cylinder off to have a 9mm conversion done on it. I want to have an extra cylinder to shoot .38s if I still want to, but I am not sure if I can simply buy a second cylinder or if I would have to have it fitted by a gunsmith.

Thanks in advance.

shooter220
09-04-2014, 05:32 AM
It is definitely a gunsmith fitted part to make sure it is properly head-spaced and gapped. It IS possible to have a spare, but you can't just buy one and expect safe and reliable function.

-shooter

LSP972
09-04-2014, 07:27 AM
S&W stopped selling "critical" parts to the masses many years ago. Some parts they wouldn't even sell to factory-certified armorers. I have read of people allegedly buying cylinders from them, but they darn sure told me "no" when I tried to; and I've been a factory-certified armorer since 1986.

Rathos, the cylinder/yoke assembly is THE "critical" part on an S&W revolver. It most definitely should be fitted by someone who knows how.

LSP972
09-04-2014, 07:29 AM
It is definitely a gunsmith fitted part to make sure it is properly head-spaced and gapped.

And timed; the ratchet and hand must be mated properly, and that is probably the most difficult and time-consuming thing one can do on these critters.

rathos
09-04-2014, 06:33 PM
you can get them through midway as a special order part. I figured they needed to be professionally fitted just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the replies.

JJN
09-04-2014, 07:10 PM
I've had pretty good luck replacing the cylinder, but keeping the original ejector star.

rathos
09-04-2014, 08:15 PM
This is what I was planning to do even though the new one would come with the whole assembly... I think though I would still have it checked by a smith.

I've had pretty good luck replacing the cylinder, but keeping the original ejector star.

LSP972
09-07-2014, 07:59 PM
you can get them through midway as a special order part.

A cylinder? Did someone at Midway confirm that, or are you just reading it off the site?

RevolverRob
09-07-2014, 08:16 PM
If you're sending the gun to have it converted to 9mm, check with the gunsmith to see if they can fit another cylinder?

rathos
09-07-2014, 09:58 PM
He said to just send the assembly, not the whole gun. I asked about fitting a cylinder as well and he said that it would take quite a bit longer and he could not give an exact time...
If you're sending the gun to have it converted to 9mm, check with the gunsmith to see if they can fit another cylinder?

JR1572
09-08-2014, 06:35 AM
Rathos, let me know how this turns out. I have a spare cylinder for my 442 and I would like to have this done also.

JR1572