PDA

View Full Version : 870 fore end LOCKED on...

EM_
09-02-2014, 08:54 AM
I got a Magpul fore end for my 870, an older Wingmaster I got off a guy in a divorce sale. It's in great shape, but the castle nut will not budge. I've been soaking it in WD40 for about 18 hours now, and even using the plastic wrench that came with the Magpul, it is still locked on. I actually shredded a good portion of the wrench trying to make it budge.

Any other tips or suggestions if you've run into the same thing?

WDW
09-02-2014, 10:36 AM
You need the heavy duty steel armorers wrench available from Brownells. Never had one I couldn't get off with that thing.

LittleLebowski
09-02-2014, 11:38 AM
WD-40 sucks for most things. Try soaking in Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or oil of wintergreen (good stuff!).

pablo
09-02-2014, 12:02 PM
I'll second the recommendation for the armorer's wrench. If you can, clamp the forend in a vise. If it's a wood forend, too much WD40 will cause the wood to swell and make your problem worse. You can try putting it in the freezer for an hour and see if loosens things up.

Edited: If you don't have a vise, it's very easy to distort the action bars, and new parts will be in your future.

Jeep
09-02-2014, 12:40 PM
WD-40 sucks for most things. Try soaking in Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or oil of wintergreen (good stuff!).

Ah, another WD-40 hater! My experience, though, is quite different. The only thing that I have found WD-40 to be poor at is for something it isn't designed for--a long term lubricant. I routinely use it to loosen up rusted nuts and it generally does a better job that liquid wrench.

LittleLebowski
09-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Ah, another WD-40 hater! My experience, though, is quite different. The only thing that I have found WD-40 to be poor at is for something it isn't designed for--a long term lubricant. I routinely use it to loosen up rusted nuts and it generally does a better job that liquid wrench.

Kroil and oil of wintergreen are amazing penetrating oils. I actually get excellent results with oil of wintergreen for patching carbon out of barrels.

Tamara
09-02-2014, 02:27 PM
If Kroil and the metal armorer's wrench can't do it, it can't be done.

T.Stahl
09-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Is "Karamba" available in the US?

Tamara
09-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Is "Karamba" available in the US?

I'm not familiar with it. Off to Google! :)

T.Stahl
09-02-2014, 04:08 PM
You got Warsteiner, Bitburger, Andechs, Ritter Sport, Nutella...
You must have Karamba, unless it contains something the EPA hates.

Al T.
09-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Maclin, there are several of us who have the fore-end wrench. If you'll post a general location, we might be able to help. :)

Lon
09-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Maclin, there are several of us who have the fore-end wrench. If you'll post a general location, we might be able to help. :)

Agreed. I'll send you mine if you cover return shipping.

EM_
09-02-2014, 08:34 PM
I'll second the recommendation for the armorer's wrench. If you can, clamp the forend in a vise. If it's a wood forend, too much WD40 will cause the wood to swell and make your problem worse. You can try putting it in the freezer for an hour and see if loosens things up.

Edited: If you don't have a vise, it's very easy to distort the action bars, and new parts will be in your future.

Damn that sucks...guess I should've posted before trying to MacGruber it :confused:

EM_
09-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Agreed. I'll send you mine if you cover return shipping.

Thank you gents. I'm in Eastern Montana. So...not close to much of anything :D

I think I have a line on one of the wrenches through a local contact. I'll find out tomorrow. If not I'll take one of y'all up on this and cover the shipping. I'll PM when I figure it out.

Jeep
09-02-2014, 08:55 PM
If Kroil and the metal armorer's wrench can't do it, it can't be done.

Well, only if you want to exclude C-4 and det cord from your tool box.

Drang
09-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Well, only if you want to exclude C-4 and det cord from your tool box.

Where's the fun in that?

EM_
09-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Gents,

Thanks so much for the advice and the offer. The local PD had a wrench and it worked like a champ. Just had to get past a little corrosion.

Thanks again for the offer for the tool, guys. Great to be a part of a community with nice gun peeps.