PDA

View Full Version : New Sig

WDW
07-15-2011, 02:02 AM
This is pretty cool. Looks like Sig has brought back the full German P226 w/carbon slide and replaceable breech block and internal extractor, which is good for me because it means I can now get spare parts for my P228:cool:
http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-german.aspx

fuse
07-15-2011, 07:00 AM
Hopefully it works.

WDW
07-15-2011, 07:07 AM
I'm no instructor, and the only Sigs I've seen in action are my own, but I've put a few thousand through each without the slighest problem and with little or no wear to show for it on the guns. I believe it when people like Todd say QC has declined, but I still have faith in the classic P series guns and would buy, carry, and shoot a P220, P229, or P226 without the slightest hesitation. They can keep the P250, P232, P238, 1911, P2022, and whatever the hell else has come out lately.

ToddG
07-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Except in terms of historical significance or personal preference, I would not opt for a folded carbon slide w/ separate breechblock. The solid stainless slide guns are more durable and require less maintenance. They do not rely on parts that may or may not continue to be supported a few years from now (SIG has already discontinued supplying those parts at least once in the past). The guns are being built by the same company with the same small parts, and it is those small parts -- regardless of whether the word "German" is on the gun -- that tend to be the cause of most QC problems at SIG.

People think of "German" SIGs in a heavenly light simply because of the tremendous QC that was (past tense) given to those guns compared to the QC used today. An 80's or 90's era SIG, which was only made in Germany, was guaranteed to be as accurate as a custom gun and reliable as a sewing machine. They also had a number of durability issues, but fewer people shot high round counts back then so that's often forgotten. Some of those durability issues have been solved through design (improved safety lever, for example) and others through better maintenance (replacing the dual roll pins through the slide on a regular basis.

I've seen a number of very high round count SIGs in my day -- I mean over 100,000rd -- and they were all the newer solid-slide guns.

TCinVA
07-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Obviously Todd knows more on the subject than I do, but remember that the people responsible for Sig USA's slide are responsible for all of Sig now. I suppose people believe that the German built pistols will be immune to some of the issues seen from Sig of late...but that's just a fantasy.

WDW
07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
I just want replacement parts for my 228. I don't think this new/old P226 is better than anything else. I'd take a stainless slide Sig anyday over this.