PDA

View Full Version : Poor Vision and Sights

ranburr
07-15-2011, 01:20 AM
I am attempting to find a set of iron sights to compensate for a loss of vision. I have tried Big Dots, and Tru-Glo TFOs. Both systems work to a degree. Both systems are far from ideal. I am familiar with the Ameri-Glo Hackathorn sights. I have ordered a set of Speed Sights. Are there any other sights that I should be looking at? I am not yet sold on the RMR setup and would prefer to try and find a iron sight solution.

ToddG
07-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Trijicon HD. Similar concept to the Hackathorn/i-dot but with some refinements that have proven better, at least for me. I don't have poor vision, though, so that assessment is based on factors that may not apply to your situation.

grimel
07-15-2011, 09:52 AM
ToddG,

What refinements?

Ranburr,

When you figure it out, let me know.

I can't see shelling out $700 to try a RDS setup. That is lot of practice ammo and a Hackathorn or HD setup.

ToddG
07-15-2011, 09:54 AM
What refinements?

The big one for me -- which I had to have pointed out to me, didn't figure this out on my own -- is that the Hack dot doesn't quite fit fully inside the i-dot rear notch. The bottom edge of the dot has to get buried out of sight to align the top edges. For me, that led to breaking fast shots when I had the dot touching the bottom of the rear notch (sending shot high). The Trij HD sights don't have this issue.

DocGKR
07-15-2011, 10:17 AM
The Big Dot did not work for me. This helps: http://pistol-training.com/articles/the-johno-diy-high-visibility-front-sight. The Trij HD is good. I liked the TFO's, but they broke--a lot. I have not tried these, but some officers around here report success with them: http://www.speedsights.com/. Ultimately, the best option for me has been a slide mounted RDS...

JHC
07-15-2011, 02:30 PM
The big one for me -- which I had to have pointed out to me, didn't figure this out on my own -- is that the Hack dot doesn't quite fit fully inside the i-dot rear notch. The bottom edge of the dot has to get buried out of sight to align the top edges. For me, that led to breaking fast shots when I had the dot touching the bottom of the rear notch (sending shot high). The Trij HD sights don't have this issue.

Ah HA! That's the first time I fully understood your issue with them. I didn't realize the short rear crowded the Hack front. This is the advantage of the Warren rear with the .220 tall Hack front. Taller Warren rear has plenty of room for the full front post in all its glory.

JM Campbell
07-15-2011, 07:31 PM
I've had them on two pistols, could not get used to them. I really found them too busy with the rear diamonds.

The orange diamond fades/dulls out after cleaning the g/s residue off and the triji info on the sides with date of install literally wiped off while cleaning with BreakFree CLP. Just my experience.

LittleLebowski
07-15-2011, 07:54 PM
I'd just bite the bullet and get the RMR with backup irons.

willowofwisp
07-15-2011, 08:42 PM
I'd just bite the bullet and get the RMR with backup irons.

Great recommendation by both you and Doc.

Picture of sight picture...I can use this without glasses or contacts and i have horrible vision.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5067/5617912596_728710a4b3_b.jpg

ranburr
07-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Just not sold on the RMR concept. Planning on taking a Suarez course in Sep that may change my mind.

Joe Chen
07-16-2011, 11:07 PM
10-8 0.156" U-notch with AmeriGlo ProGlo 0.140"x0.220" tritium with orange circle outline.

Inspired by ToddG's postings on the AmeriGlo Hackathorn and Trijicon HD offerings, I was looking for something similar to the Trijicon HD with a plain rear sight and a "loose" but not "wide" sight picture. My buddy has a similar set up on an M&P.

Sorry for the picture quality. I have no idea how some of you guys take these sight pictures.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kvYUJZo3TGQ/TiJokJk3irI/AAAAAAAAAD8/2HjLjVeN2ZU/s640/HPIM1036.jpg

SLG
07-17-2011, 07:45 PM
I have vision issues, but probably not like yours. Having said that, I would look at a ghost ring set up. I've heard from many aging shooters that the ghost ring set up really shines as your vision deteriorates. I think that Louis Awerbuck was the first to point this out, if that means anything to you. Buyer beware though, at least as of a few years ago, there were several choices on the market, and I don't think they were all created equal.

Another possible option (which I know nothing about) is the half moon set up that Novak has. Similar concept to the ghost ring, but only half there.

TAZ
07-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Have similar issues, although maybe not as bad as yours, and am also having difficulty plopping down $700 for an RMR set up. May end up that way, but not quite yet. 2 things have helped me. 1 was to tell my optometrist what I was needing to see and why. Once she knew what I was doing she was able to dial in my lenses better. I did have to sacrifice close vision, but I can deal with that. 2 was going with sights that have wide notches. Warrens seem to do the trick for me, but I think for my new G21 I may give the Trijicon HD a try. I really like the idea of the big orange ball out there.

CoGT3
07-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Ah HA! That's the first time I fully understood your issue with them. I didn't realize the short rear crowded the Hack front. This is the advantage of the Warren rear with the .220 tall Hack front. Taller Warren rear has plenty of room for the full front post in all its glory.

JHC, does that mean you have this combo installed on your gun? Which warren rear did you use? And last but not least, any way you could post a picture?

Thanks,
Matt

vkosty
07-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I am 50m and my sight has been steadily going. Heinies straigh eight with 0.156 rear notch work for me even without glasses.

I am attempting to find a set of iron sights to compensate for a loss of vision. I have tried Big Dots, and Tru-Glo TFOs. Both systems work to a degree. Both systems are far from ideal. I am familiar with the Ameri-Glo Hackathorn sights. I have ordered a set of Speed Sights. Are there any other sights that I should be looking at? I am not yet sold on the RMR setup and would prefer to try and find a iron sight solution.

JHC
07-23-2011, 08:31 PM
JHC, does that mean you have this combo installed on your gun? Which warren rear did you use? And last but not least, any way you could post a picture?

Thanks,
Matt

Yes. The Warren rears are all same height. I use the Warren Sevigny rear which is .150 wide but a square notch. So it ends up looking much like Joe Chen's picture above but with a square notch instead of a U.

TweetyRex
07-27-2011, 01:47 PM
No, this is not a sexist coment. Double D is a type of bi-focal (tri-focal?) with close range lens on the bottom and the top, with distance in the middle. You can also get 3 diferant focal distances: reading at bottom, distance in the middle, and arm's length/front sight at the top. You have a section of lens set up just for the front sight, with regular lens settings in the rest of the lens. They are available in polycarbonit and photogray ( or other equiv. brand names)
Check them out

Sp4rky
07-31-2011, 11:28 AM
I too am having difficulty framing the front sight due to declining eyesight. Reading glasses -can sight well, but can't see target. Has anyone had experience with narrow front, U or square rear sight. Looking for experienced comments.

Does extra sighting space help?