PDA

View Full Version : Modified trigger pull

mattman121
08-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Hi all,

My grandfather passed away recently and my grandma is looking to get her ccw and have a gun in her house for protection. However she has had many hand surgeries and has many fake knuckles in her hands. We recently looked at guns and she doesn't have the hand strength to cock the gun or pull a hammer back or even pull the trigger on a compact gun with no cock. Any suggestions on options or anything that could suit her needs? Thanks.

Jeep
08-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Hi all,

My grandfather passed away recently and my grandma is looking to get her ccw and have a gun in her house for protection. However she has had many hand surgeries and has many fake knuckles in her hands. We recently looked at guns and she doesn't have the hand strength to cock the gun or pull a hammer back or even pull the trigger on a compact gun with no cock. Any suggestions on options or anything that could suit her needs? Thanks.

For home defense, a short barreled .410 double barrel shotgun, perhaps. CCW is going to be tough, I think.

John Hearne
08-30-2014, 09:24 PM
http://www.imfdb.org/images/8/89/S%26W_Model_65-5_Ladysmith.jpg

Loaded with +P 38's.

LittleLebowski
08-31-2014, 12:07 PM
Hi all,

Don't laugh, a can of wasp spray.

1986s4
08-31-2014, 12:36 PM
Don't laugh, a can of wasp spray.

I wouldn't laugh. That is some nasty stuff with good range for indoors.

Keltyke
09-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Hi all,

I very seldom recommend a specific gun, being that a handgun is a personal item and what I like may not be what someone else likes. However, look into a SIG P238. This is a .380 ACP "mini 1911". It's shaped like the venerable 1911, and works like it, too. Once the slide is racked, the gun can be put on "safe" until needed then a flick of the lever allows her to pull the single action trigger.

45dotACP
09-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Is there also a pain issue? Some people with fragile hands cannot withstand a great deal of recoil. I'd never ordinarily say this, but perhaps a gun isn't the best choice for an individual with fragile hands and prosthetic knuckles. If you're dead set on it being a gun, I'd suggest a .22 of some variety. I like the safety setup on the Browning Buckmark because it's easier to disengage than a Mk. III

RevolverRob
09-04-2014, 06:13 PM
I would say those with bad arthritis and issues activating double-action triggers need to move away from revolvers and look at the range of full size .22 Semi-autos - the Buckmark 45dotACP recommended would be an excellent suggestion. The others would be tip-up barrel guns, unfortunately most of these are very compact guns like the Beretta Jetfires or Tomcats, but Beretta made some different tip-up .32s and .22s that might work - I cannot remember the model numbers they are in the 80s - I want to say 82, 84, 86? These might work, because they can be loaded without racking a slide and they can have a safety set on a single action trigger.

My father is approaching 70 and has had four hand surgeries including two fused joints in his strong hand, he can no longer operate the thumb safety on his 1911 reliably. I gave him a full size M&P 9 last year, with an Apex trigger, and a Leupold Deltapoint on top. The deltapoint helped him quite a bit in being able to to rack the slide, by allowing him to push it firmly against a table top or push it firmly into his off hand. The Apex trigger has limited pre-travel helping with his limited range of motion in his index finger. The doctor is talking about fusing it up a little more and if they do, I may have to install a forward set sear for even shorter amount of travel on the trigger for him. That is one distinct advantage of the 1911, M&P, and Glock platforms, parts exist to modify the guns for those with handicaps.

The other alternative I recommend for recoil sensitive types is a full size 1911 in 9mm. Recoil is light, the steel gun is heavy, but much easier to shoot and I find the single-stack grip fits a large range of hands. I would not be afraid to have a 5" 1911 loaded with standard pressure JHPs in any bullet weight. The 1911 can also have the trigger weight dropped down below what an M&P or Glock can. Three pound triggers are considered light for most folks, but those with reduced strength might find a 3-pound trigger to be equivalent to a full strength person's 10-pound trigger.

-Rob

Anitcol
09-12-2014, 07:37 PM
If she must have a gun and trigger pull is heavy, I read about some people using a EZ Pull Trigger Assist. Now, if their is one for a pistol, i'm not 100% sure but it's a thought.

Another option outside of a gun is pepper spray or as someone mentioned, wasp spray. Could even go really into it, buy her a gas mask and get tear gas. Only have to pull that pin! :p