PDA

View Full Version : Claude Werner & 1,000 Days of Dry Fire

Duces Tecum
08-29-2014, 12:18 PM
What exactly is Claude Werner's "1,000 Day Dry Fire" program? Is it published anywhere? Anybody tried it? What were the results? Would you do it again?

Wheeler
08-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Here's a start.

http://youtu.be/q9TJJcXjxG8

http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/08/19/self-directed-shooting-practice/

Cecil Burch
08-29-2014, 01:05 PM
What exactly is Claude Werner's "1,000 Day Dry Fire" program? Is it published anywhere? Anybody tried it? What were the results? Would you do it again?

There was some posts about it on Total Protection Interactive. A number of people like Paul Sharp went through it and discussed some of the results. It was on a couple of different threads so you might have to dig on a search.

Mitchell, Esq.
08-29-2014, 01:15 PM
I did it.

It is simply 1000 consecutive days of dry fire practice.

I did it with a j frame and pocket change of various denominations balanced on the front sight. It produced good results for me. I'm going to get back into it.

Mr_White
08-29-2014, 02:04 PM
I haven't done Claude's program and I'm sure I haven't dry fired 1000 days consecutively. But, I think very highly of Claude and his material, and in all the practicing I have done in the last several years, a huge amount has been dry practice. I believe it's been highly effective, and I think frequency means a lot. I feel pretty sharp if I dry fire several times a week. I feel even sharper when I am dry firing almost every day. I feel super mega sharp if I dry fire multiple times almost every day. Frequency has a quality unto itself, even above and beyond the total raw time spent.

23JAZ
08-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Dry firing every day for 3 years straight?! Really!?

GJM
08-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Dry firing every day for 3 years straight?! Really!?

Probably more practical and achievable than 1,000 days of sex.

Al T.
08-29-2014, 05:29 PM

Cheaper too.

Clobbersaurus
08-29-2014, 07:37 PM
I dry fire pretty much every day. The only days I take off are the days immediately after a range session. Then back to it. I've been doing this since January of this year and I think it's the key to my meager progress to date. I'm only able to get to the range twice a month and my ammo expenditure is about 250 a session. So really the 15 or 20 minutes I spend a day dry firing is critical to my improvement. It has to be structured and measured much like my range sessions.

Also, I firmly believe that the standard you hold for yourself in some components of your dry fire (ie sight alignment and trigger press as you break your "shot") should be extremely high, or you are just wasting time. It's one thing to beat your par time and another to know you broke the shot with your sights aligned while beating your par time. It requires honesty with yourself and lots of self diagnosis. I never come away from a dry fire session totally happy, always wanting more....

Duces Tecum
08-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Thanks, Guys.

What I gather is that the Claude Werner 1,000 day dry fire program is the NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification I (followed by II) performed daily for very nearly 3 years. Special thanks to Wheeler for the link.

Wheeler
08-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks, Guys.

What I gather is that the Claude Werner 1,000 day dry fire program is the NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification I (followed by II) performed daily for very nearly 3 years. Special thanks to Wheeler for the link.

Glad to be of assistance. I spent a long time trying to prove Claude wrong only to find out he's right most of the time. :-/

Mitchell, Esq.
08-31-2014, 09:55 AM

Yes.
Very much so...

Mitchell, Esq.
08-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Cheaper too.

I broke springs in my j frame twice and needed gunsmithing on the hand and cylinder star...

But still...

Yes. It was cheaper.

HeadHunter
08-31-2014, 11:03 PM
It's not any particular drill or set of drills. Rather, it's the commitment to do dryfire each and every day, without fail, for 1000 straight days. If you miss a day, you have to start again at the beginning.

I was inspired to do it about 12 years ago by a friend who was working on his Yoga instructor certification. He had to do 1000 days straight of meditation. I thought that was cool, so I decided to do it with dryfire. Paul Sharp and I decided to do it, first time for him, second for me, earlier this year. We'll be done at the end of 2016.

The reason there's not one drill or set of drills is to avoid boredom. I regularly change up my regimen. Run different qual courses dryfire, practice bullseye shooting, run the NRA Defensive Pistol I & II, etc. It doesn't matter. I make different targets and reduced size target arrays from time to time to change things up, as well. Notice I have the 10-8 reduced size circle in my array for now.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/HeadHunter_album/Targets/100_5265_zps46cd70fe.jpg

The first time, when I was at the gf's house, I'd do it while taking a dump by aiming my snub at the tile intersections. She finally figured out what I was doing and had me set up a little dryfire range in the spare bedroom.

The important thing is do something every single day, even if it's just a little. My last trigger press is never more than 24 hours in the past.

ETA: The NRA Defensive Pistol program that Gabby mentioned was a different part of my presentation to GeorgiaCarry. I wanted to provide the attendees with some kind of program when they went to the range instead of just jerking off the way 999/1000 people do at an indoor range. It drives me crazy watching people waste their time just blasting 50 holes in a silhouette at 5 yards and then them thinking they accomplished something. I gave a lesson today to a lady who had been doing all her practicing at ONE yard. When I had her shoot a few shots at a B-27 at 7 yards, she put the rounds into the ceiling baffle plates. That's more typical than gun people like to admit. So I wanted the GCO folks to have some kind of structured program for their live fire, not dryfire.

HeadHunter
08-31-2014, 11:57 PM
BTW, those are my eye labels on the left target. I print them on clear 1x4 labels to give me an aiming point on headshots.

SeriousStudent
09-01-2014, 10:10 AM
BTW, those are my eye labels on the left target. I print them on clear 1x4 labels to give me an aiming point on headshots.

An excellent tip, thank you for sharing that.

Duces Tecum
09-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks, Headhunter. Yours is an actionable post and expands the dry fire training syllabus in useful ways. I'm grateful.

HeadHunter
01-17-2015, 01:41 AM
Here's an update that I posted to my blog. I'm doing a dryfire version of the FAM Tactical Pistol Course.
https://tacticalprofessor.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/triple-qit-on-wall.jpg Not only does doing a different regimen help but the mental exercise of figuring out what to do is fun also.

http://wp.me/p4ukPJ-kUg

HeadHunter
06-24-2015, 09:00 PM
If anyone is interested, I started a Facebook Group for 1000 Days of Dryfire. https://www.facebook.com/groups/840798816011987/ We share drills and things we learn from doing our daily dryfire. It's not necessary to make the 1000 day commitment to join, just see dryfire as having some value in our practice.

HeadHunter
12-13-2015, 08:34 PM
A dryfire version of the LAPD Bonus Course is my latest addition to the 1000 Days courses I use. The targets are scaled for 7 feet. They print on legal size paper. I put the file on a flash drive and print it at FedEx Office. Mounted on a piece of posterboard from Dollar Tree.

RJ
12-13-2015, 08:48 PM
I'm a member of the Facebook 1,000 days of dryfire group, its been very useful. Kind of keeps it in your mind when you slack off.

Luke
12-13-2015, 10:28 PM
I joined on Facebook as well, and saw you rich but didn't send you an friend request as I didn't want to come off as a creeper.. You left your porch light on last night btw..

But I was a little let down by the sight. Was hoping for more.

rojocorsa
03-21-2016, 02:01 AM
So I am not the only one who dry-fires in the rest-room?

HeadHunter
09-28-2016, 02:34 PM
I'm getting close to the end of the 1000 Days. This run will be finished the week after Thanksgiving. It's been a very enjoyable experience.

RJ
09-28-2016, 02:54 PM
My clock reset last night. Just felt a bit off color.

Anyways, starting again today.

I like the reminder; it forces you to have a daily interaction with your firearm.

Mr_White
09-28-2016, 03:04 PM
daily interaction with your firearm

Frequency and recency of practice are worth sooooooooo much.

HeadHunter
09-29-2016, 02:56 PM
For those who are interested, I had quite a few thoughts about what I got out of the 1000 Days. There are three posts on my blog; the first is here (https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2016/09/04/1000-days-of-practice-part-i/).

HeadHunter
11-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Today is my 1000th day of my 1000 Days of Dryfire.

I got up, did the 12 shot drill FS, SHO, and WHO. Now I've finished. That's not to say I won't dryfire anymore but I don't have to do it every day.

I've enjoyed the discipline and creativity of the the exercise. This second time seemed different than when I did it the first time over a decade ago.

Luke
11-29-2016, 07:22 PM
What type of gains have you made in those 1,000 days?