PDA

View Full Version : Left-handed Revolver?

23JAZ
08-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Does anyone besides Charter make a lefty revolver?

jetfire
08-27-2014, 05:32 AM
Does anyone besides Charter make a lefty revolver?

In current production? None that I'm aware of.

Wheeler
08-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Didn't Ruger briefly toy with a lefty SP101?

jetfire
08-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Didn't Ruger briefly toy with a lefty SP101?

Maybe?

I did forget something - the release on the S&W Bodyguard revolver is true ambi, so a lefty can operate it easily.

23JAZ
08-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Maybe?

I did forget something - the release on the S&W Bodyguard revolver is true ambi, so a lefty can operate it easily.

Sweet, thank you!

LSP972
08-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Maybe?

True, but… well, I'd look REAL close at that abomination before laying any money down.

Just sayin'…

Lastmohecken
08-27-2014, 10:43 PM
I don't know of any, although there has been a couple of right handed singleactions made. The basic single action is more friendly for a lefty then a right handed person. As far as double actions go, being a lefty myself, it's just a matter of developing a speed loading drill that works for you, and beyond that, it doesn't matter to me. You just can't do the same movements as a right hander uses to eject emptys and reload.

Wheeler
08-28-2014, 07:32 AM
If I recollect correctly there is one step less reloading a revolver for a lefty if the spare ammo is carried on the strong side vs a righty with the ammo carried on the strong side.

SteveK
08-28-2014, 07:59 AM
I always thought a lefty could reload a revolver just as quickly as a righty. I got pretty fast when I was shooting a revolver religiously in IDPA years ago. Transferring the gun into the right hand and being able to push the cylinder out with my thumb while stroking the ejector rod with my index finger was pretty fast. I might be biased having always worked it that way but it just seemed more natural than the righty method.

1986s4
08-28-2014, 08:43 AM
As a right hander I use the "weak hand reload" method. My spares are carried on my left as a auto pistol shooter would. With a standard DA revolver a lefty will have some issues to resolve before using this reload technique.

jetfire
08-28-2014, 09:22 AM
I always thought a lefty could reload a revolver just as quickly as a righty. I got pretty fast when I was shooting a revolver religiously in IDPA years ago. Transferring the gun into the right hand and being able to push the cylinder out with my thumb while stroking the ejector rod with my index finger was pretty fast. I might be biased having always worked it that way but it just seemed more natural than the righty method.

Matt Griffin is a legit USPSA Revo GM who is also left-handed. He has a pretty dope reload technique which you can see here:

http://youtu.be/XOl8XltZ0uc

23JAZ
08-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Matt Griffin is a legit USPSA Revo GM who is also left-handed. He has a pretty dope reload technique which you can see here:

http://youtu.be/XOl8XltZ0uc

Thats great thank you for the video.

Rich
08-28-2014, 04:27 PM
As a right hander I use the "weak hand reload" method. My spares are carried on my left as a auto pistol shooter would. With a standard DA revolver a lefty will have some issues to resolve before using this reload technique.

I`m right handed and load right handed. I just cant master left hand revolver reloads while on the move / stress.

JonInWA
08-29-2014, 08:48 AM
British Webley break-top...just sayin'

Best, Jon

1986s4
08-31-2014, 12:40 PM
British Webley break-top...just sayin'

Best, Jon

I've owned two of those! A .38/200 and a .455 converted to .45 ACP. The release lever is on the left side and they're pretty stiff. I wish someone would start making a modern version.

Petrov
12-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Reloading left handed is just as easy as reloading right handed for me. I use my trigger finger or thumb to shove the latch and off hand to push the cylinder out and push on the ejector rod in one motion, by the time the brass is out of the cylinder I am already bringing next moon clip in with my trigger hand.

Tamara
12-17-2014, 02:49 PM
The Ruger release, operated with the trigger finger, is about as left-hand-friendly as it gets in current production revos. The aforementioned Smith Bodyguard release is, IMHO, only ambidextrous inasmuch as it sucks equally from either side.

okie john
12-17-2014, 04:45 PM
I don't know of any, although there has been a couple of right handed singleactions made.

I think you're talking about Bill Grover and Texas Longhorn Arms.

Okie John

Jim Watson
12-18-2014, 11:37 AM
The 1892 French "Lebel" cylinder swings out to the right. Would that qualify?

I dispute the old story that the SAA is "lefthanded."
I want to hold the big piece - the gun - in my off hand, and handle the small pieces - cartridges, but originally percussion caps - with my dominant hand.

Malamute
12-18-2014, 01:17 PM
I want to hold the big piece - the gun - in my off hand, and handle the small pieces - cartridges, but originally percussion caps - with my dominant hand.

Agree. I call it smart hand and dumb hand when dealing with small things (cartridges) and small motions like running the ejector rod. Left hand only has to hold the gun and rotate the cylinder.

Tamara
12-18-2014, 04:35 PM

Especially if you're...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1691442/i-m-on-a-horse-o.gif

...on a horse. :)