PDA

View Full Version : War Belts

Wheeler
07-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Is this a new concept? I've kept either a belt or vest loaded with gear handy for quite some time. I've seen a few blogs that make out like this is a new concept. Am I missing something new? I don't want to be left out. :)

In addition, I've noticed without fail that all the "war belt" rigs I've seen are setup for an AR or AK. Then I see how this is supposedly to be for home defense. I'm still of the school of thought that a good shotgun trumps most any rifle for home defense. Is this a valid shift in tactics?

SecondsCount
07-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I don't think the "war belt" idea is anything new but like you I have been prepared for bad things for a long time.

I would agree that a rifle is probably best but see nothing wrong with a well trained individual who knows how to run a shotgun or pistol because well placed shots from any of them will do the job.

Kyle Reese
07-14-2011, 05:31 PM
I run one. Not because I'm cool or innovative, it's because I'm too lazy to kit up when all that's needed is a pistol, a few mags, etc that can be conveniently and efficiently carried comfortably and taken off at a moments notice.

orionz06
07-14-2011, 05:59 PM
I will never need 3 carbine reloads and 4 pistol reloads, but they sure as hell are convenient. Mine is certainly not for HD, it just makes life REALLY easy at the range.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/IMG_4011.jpg

Wheeler
07-14-2011, 07:31 PM
I will never need 3 carbine reloads and 4 pistol reloads, but they sure as hell are convenient. Mine is certainly not for HD, it just makes life REALLY easy at the range.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/IMG_4011.jpg

Does VolGrad know you have his holster? :D

VolGrad
07-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Does VolGrad know you have his holster? :D

:D I was just admiring the orange kydex. Before I could comment I saw your post. :p

vmi-mo
07-14-2011, 09:36 PM
I am a big fan of getting weight off my shoulders, however I have yet to get a belt to work for me. And I see even fewer people who use them that actually make them work for them.

I see alot of "running like I crapped myself" whenever guys use these setups.

PJ

Jay Cunningham
07-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Is this a new concept? I've kept either a belt or vest loaded with gear handy for quite some time. I've seen a few blogs that make out like this is a new concept. Am I missing something new? I don't want to be left out. :)

In addition, I've noticed without fail that all the "war belt" rigs I've seen are setup for an AR or AK. Then I see how this is supposedly to be for home defense. I'm still of the school of thought that a good shotgun trumps most any rifle for home defense. Is this a valid shift in tactics?

I'm not sure what to make of your post.

I have a war belt to support carbine training because it is very handy. It can also be kept ready for the zombie apocalypse, but that isn't the primary function in my case.

If you feel more comfortable with a shotgun than a short carbine for home defense, that's nice but that viewpoint's been done to death ad infinitum and the pros/cons of the two "platforms" have been pretty much hashed out.

Wheeler
07-14-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure what to make of your post.

I have a war belt to support carbine training because it is very handy. It can also be kept ready for the zombie apocalypse, but that isn't the primary function in my case.

If you feel more comfortable with a shotgun than a short carbine for home defense, that's nice but that viewpoint's been done to death ad infinitum and the pros/cons of the two "platforms" have been pretty much hashed out.

I don't really know what was left to doubt, but I'll try to clarify. Is the "War Belt" concept something new, or a new name to an existing concept.

I am not interested in "hashing out" the pros/cons of shotguns verses carbines, if a carbine is your thing, press on. I wanted to know if there was a valid shift in tactics or perhaps ammunition, as they seem to constantly evolve. If not we'd all still be packing .32's and lever actions and using the cup and bowl technique.

Hopefully that clarifies my post. Thanks for the feedback.

Dropkick
07-15-2011, 07:44 AM
I don't think the "War Belt" concept anything new. I feel like it's just a throwback to ALICE, which was a throw back to whatever was before that, and before that. There's not many points in history that you see warriors wearing equipment on a vest. Most of the time, "mission essential" gear is carried on the belt. So, this is just a new iteration of an age old concept in my opinion.

Al T.
07-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Is this a new concept? I've kept either a belt or vest loaded with gear handy for quite some time. I've seen a few blogs that make out like this is a new concept. Am I missing something new? I don't want to be left out.

IMHO, not "new" as we wore stripped pistol belts with a magazine pouch and canteen for guard duty back in the '70's. I think the concept was popularized by Pat Rogers (first place I noticed it) for a more comfortable means of carrying your stuff around at a class, sort of a minimal load as opposed to a full up vest/IBA/helmet rig.

Yep, slightly new concept for the AR family. Back when the ninja folks started carrying M4 type carbines, it was found that JHP ammo penetrated less in buildings than buckshot or even handgun ammo. The high velocity .223/5.56 bullets tend to break up pretty quickly when building material is struck.

Add low recoil, great ergonomics and higher capacity to the equation and you have a better tool for home defense.

Only drawbacks I know of relate to cost for an AR and political concerns.

As for an AK for the house, I'd much rather have an AR (ammo issue). For defending the neighborhood (think Katrina or Andrew) an AK or SKS would come in handy.

ToddG
07-15-2011, 09:52 AM
If we're going to have a "shotgun vs. carbine for home defense" discussion, it probably deserves its own thread in the Long Guns area...

LittleLebowski
07-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I can see the utility in them but I don't own or use one. I prefer to run my gear as "slick" as safely possible. For those that do, I have no problem with it.

Odin Bravo One
07-15-2011, 05:22 PM
The 'War Belt' is hardly a new concept. However, the only place it really shines is in war, or preparing for war.

Many non-professional people (non-LE/non-Mil) utilize 'War Belts' and/or Chest Rig's because they enjoy or need training with multiple platforms, and most carbine courses require the students to bring multiple magazines to the line. The 'War Belt' allows shooters to bring everything they need to the line, and then some. Most are modular enough to allow a rapid change in configuration to meet each shooters needs, or at least percieved needs. Ammunition, water, Blow Out Kits, holsters, knives, can all be easily transported on a single item that is quick to grab, and easy to don.

I don't see much application for one in a home defense/self defense situation beyond a breakdown of society where LE/Govt. cannot provide basic services, or the zombie invasion. Barring that, they are good for training, and they are good for war.

Wheeler
07-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, this is the type of information I've been looking for.

Todd,
I had no intention of turning this into a shotgun vs. carbine thread. As I stated earlier, I have my preference, was just curious about the seeming shift in tactics/equipment. If anyone wants to start one, I'd be happy to read it. :)

Wheeler

David Armstrong
07-16-2011, 05:45 PM
The war belt has come and gone over time. Right now the vest seems more popular but that is as much PR as anything else, I think. Personally I still find a basic ALICE setup to work just fine anytime I want to carry very much gear on me. Regarding the AR for home defense, it has come along in the last decade or so. Clint Smith sort of got the ball rolling with his Urban Carbine concept in the early 1990s, IIRC.