PDA

View Full Version : Android crew: you want this keyboard.

fuse
07-14-2011, 11:27 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/14/swiftkey-x-virtual-keyboard-launches-for-android-tablets-we-go/

engadget loves it.

been using this for the past couple hours.

Prediction seems nearly bulletproof. Does really well with correct spacing and intuitively putting periods in the correct space.

$1.99 for today only, normally $3.99. I think ya'll should definitely check it out.

make sure you download 'Swiftkey X', not the old 'swiftkey' that has been out since January.

seabiscuit
07-14-2011, 07:32 PM
This looks great. I love how it automatically switches from Spanish to English.

willowofwisp
07-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the link I just bought it!

LittleLebowski
07-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Pretty happy with the Gingerbread keyboard though I do have this one.

jslaker
07-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I've been using Nuance's FlexT9 (http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/by-product/flex-t9-for-android/index.htm) since it was first released, and I'm pretty happy with it overall. Only thing I wish they'd add is an option to shorten the hold duration needed for typing alternate characters (e.g., numbers).

NickA
07-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Swiftkey for phones is free at the Amazon appstore today.

fuse
07-21-2011, 02:49 PM
No excuse now yall.

sent via Android 3.1

rsa-otc
07-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Down loaded and I have started using it. Like it so far.

ToddG
07-22-2011, 08:15 AM
I ought to give this a try. If it works well enough, I still have time to switch from my Droid 3 (which I bought because of the physical keyboard) to something like a Thunderbolt.

LittleLebowski
07-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I ought to give this a try. If it works well enough, I still have time to switch from my Droid 3 (which I bought because of the physical keyboard) to something like a Thunderbolt.

One advantage of the Thunderbolt is that it is already rooted. That means by following instructions on screen whilst you watch a "how to" video, you can root your Thunderbolt and remove all bloatware via a custom ROM.

However, the Droid 3 will be rooted soon enough and this keyboard may not replace the physical keyboard you already like. More tradeoffs are that the Thunderbolt has only 8 gigs on board of storage (comes with free micro SD card though) and is not dual core (not that it matters in my experience). The Thunderbolt is also 4g which is screaming fast. I mean, smoking fast.

NickA
07-22-2011, 09:03 AM
I have a physical keyboard but downloaded this anyway.
It just successfully predicted that I would type "POS" in regard to my phone. Get out of my head, SwiftKey!

rsa-otc
07-22-2011, 12:34 PM
It's scary how it intuitively predicts things. My phone is possessed and I'm loving it.

Jason
07-22-2011, 12:48 PM
The B button is in the wrong place for my fingers.

Savage Hands
07-22-2011, 01:03 PM
It's scary how it intuitively predicts things. My phone is possessed and I'm loving it.

:cool:

jslaker
07-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Soft keyboards are awesome for sending short, couple of word replies, or if I have one hand tied up and need to send a response one-handed. For anything of any length, I almost always ending up flipping out the hardware keyboard on my phone.

rsa-otc
07-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Soft keyboards are awesome for sending short, couple of word replies, or if I have one hand tied up and need to send a response one-handed. For anything of any length, I almost always ending up flipping out the hardware keyboard on my phone.

Quite frankly I hate the hardware key boards. To small for my gorilla fingers. Until SwiftKey X the soft keyboard was a tad better. but now with the intuitiveness of Swift Key using the phone for any kind of text is "ALMOST" enjoyable.

jslaker
07-22-2011, 02:35 PM
To small for my gorilla fingers.

I have XL glove size hands myself. :)

Big thing is that a hardware keyboard gives enough tactile feedback that I can essentially touch type with my thumbs. Much faster and accurate for me.