PDA

View Full Version : Benelli Nova?

Unobtanium
08-21-2014, 11:07 AM
I know that GA State Police ordered 1,000 of them some time back. Does anyone know if they like them? I am wanting a good pump shotgun for deer, hogs, and "anything else", as well as looking at them for gift purposes this Christmas.

870P
Mossberg 590a1
Nova

They are all roughly the same price, but I am a Benelli fan. Can anyone comment from experience how they hold up in hard use/if they have any inherent issues?

TR675
08-21-2014, 11:20 AM
I have one; it works very well. Never had any issues with it, and the design seems robust and well thought out. I use it for skeet and dove and really like the magazine cut-off feature on the pump.

I would not buy a vanilla Nova again, though. They are what they are and there's very little changing it - length of pull, stock, etc. If I had to go back and do it over, for a do it all shotgun I'd probably have gone with an auto.

JodyH
08-21-2014, 12:07 PM
I've run my 24" bird Nova hard with no issues at all.
My 18.5" house Nova has a factory +2 extension, 4 round side saddle and I cut 3/4" off the stock.
It too has run great in training and 3 gun.
I do zero maintenance on shotguns. The Nova runs like a Glock is supposed to.

Unobtanium
08-21-2014, 12:07 PM
I have one; it works very well. Never had any issues with it, and the design seems robust and well thought out. I use it for skeet and dove and really like the magazine cut-off feature on the pump.

I would not buy a vanilla Nova again, though. They are what they are and there's very little changing it - length of pull, stock, etc. If I had to go back and do it over, for a do it all shotgun I'd probably have gone with an auto.

Is the barrel chrome lined like their other models? I know some people don't like to clean a shotgun bore, but I scrape out tons of lead with a Tornado brush after a day at the range.

I understand the Nova Tactical is a fixed CYL, correct?

Also, while I realize it IS a $400ish shotgun, does it "feel" as solid and as quality as the M1, M2,M4, and other guns Benelli is known for, or is this something made in another factory/not as solid feeling for whatever reason/lower QA/QC to "fit a price point" kindof like Remington does with the Express guns as compared to the Police/Wingmaster models of yesteryear?

EricM
08-21-2014, 12:21 PM
A Nova was my first shotgun, bought it to have something cheap to get my feet wet in 3-gun...decided I'd rather have a good pump than a sketchy auto, and I couldn't justify the $$$ for a good auto at the time. Very easy to load and operate, mine worked great. Was dead on with Tru-Ball slugs btw. I didn't really care for the safety location at the front of the trigger guard in competition, but not an issue for your intended use. My only suggestion would be to also consider the SuperNova for about $100 more, it's basically the same thing with a ComforTech stock which will shoot softer and is also more customizable with the different height comb inserts. After buying a ComforTech recoil pad for my Nova I was pretty much at the price of the SuperNova without some of the other extras. Too bad you hadn't posted a few weeks earlier, just traded mine in on an M2. :)

Unobtanium
08-21-2014, 12:26 PM
A Nova was my first shotgun, bought it to have something cheap to get my feet wet in 3-gun...decided I'd rather have a good pump than a sketchy auto, and I couldn't justify the $$$ for a good auto at the time. Very easy to load and operate, mine worked great. Was dead on with Tru-Ball slugs btw. I didn't really care for the safety location at the front of the trigger guard in competition, but not an issue for your intended use. My only suggestion would be to also consider the SuperNova for about $100 more, it's basically the same thing with a ComforTech stock which will shoot softer and is also more customizable with the different height comb inserts. After buying a ComforTech recoil pad for my Nova I was pretty much at the price of the SuperNova without some of the other extras. Too bad you hadn't posted a few weeks earlier, just traded mine in on an M2. :)
I ordered the wrong pad from Limbsaver for my M4. I just kept it. It interestingly is listed as also fitting the Benelli Nova. It's the new "Airtech" pad and seems REALLY NICE! Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference is the stock and looks, and I prefer the looks of the Nova.

SAWBONES
08-21-2014, 02:37 PM
I've had one for over a decade, 18" barrel, never any malfunction or other difficulty. Used to be inexpensive (I paid about $200 new IIRC), dunno about currently.

Marko Kloos
08-22-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm on my second Nova. Picked the current one over a new 870 because it can use 3.5" shells, and I love the magazine cut-off button in the pump handle.

Shoots well, always works, looks good, doesn't rust, easy to take apart. The only thing I don't like--and it's a minor thing--is that the large pump handle is a bit rattly.

I think the Nova is pretty established by now as a solid, reliable, fast-handling gun without any major design or function issues.

SAWBONES
08-22-2014, 02:02 PM
The only thing I don't like--and it's a minor thing--is that the large pump handle is a bit rattly.

'Tis true. Never had any other shotgun, pump or semiauto, that rattled so. Not good for "stealth". :)

vaspence
08-22-2014, 04:48 PM
We have a couple of them. An 18.5" model that I used in three gun/pump gun matches for a few years. It's a great shotgun, shoots cheap slugs accurate enough for 50 yards. We also have a 20 gauge youth that is currently out on loan to another young'un. My oldest shot everything from doves to deer with it. Awesome shotgun for a kid, I really like the mag cutoff for unloading. As pointed out they can be noisy.

TR675
08-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Is the barrel chrome lined like their other models? I know some people don't like to clean a shotgun bore, but I scrape out tons of lead with a Tornado brush after a day at the range.

I understand the Nova Tactical is a fixed CYL, correct?

Also, while I realize it IS a $400ish shotgun, does it "feel" as solid and as quality as the M1, M2,M4, and other guns Benelli is known for, or is this something made in another factory/not as solid feeling for whatever reason/lower QA/QC to "fit a price point" kindof like Remington does with the Express guns as compared to the Police/Wingmaster models of yesteryear?

The barrel is chrome lined IIRC. Not sure about the cylinder on the Tactical model.

I'm not familiar with other Benelli models. The best comparison I can make is to a Glock. If you're used to steel or aluminum guns it's not going to "feel" right. But I wouldn't call it cheap at all. For current production pumps I think it's hard to beat.

Unobtanium
08-22-2014, 10:35 PM
The barrel is chrome lined IIRC. Not sure about the cylinder on the Tactical model.

I'm not familiar with other Benelli models. The best comparison I can make is to a Glock. If you're used to steel or aluminum guns it's not going to "feel" right. But I wouldn't call it cheap at all. For current production pumps I think it's hard to beat.
I had a Wilson combat supergrade. I sold it and now have an M&P9 and am much better served. Polymer isn't an issue if we'll executed and served by a supporting frame like the nova family seems to be per their advertising.

GJM
08-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Benelli has recently introduced Compact versions of their Comfortech stocks, with shorter length of pulls. If that extends to the Super Nova, that would make the Super Nova more attractive with its Comfortech, which is not available on the Nova.

Unobtanium
08-23-2014, 05:07 AM
How does the supernova stand up to the 870p regarding high round count durability?

TR675
08-23-2014, 07:35 AM
I don't know if there's a clear answer to that. It's a much newer gun so it doesn't have the same track record to judge by. Conventional wisdom is that good 870s are made out if adamantium or something and are indestructible.

I will just say I've never heard anyone complain about problems with their Nova, on the internet or elsewhere.

GJM
08-24-2014, 12:58 PM
I was verifying zero with Brenneke slugs this morning, and shot the 18 inch ghost ring Super Nova, along with a 14 inch 870, Beretta TX-4, and Beretta 1301.

The trigger on the Super Nova was about 90 pounds (only a slight exaggeration) and with the rear sight bottomed, it was still several inches high at 25 yards. I respect the nova, but it was easily my least favorite of the four shotguns to shoot.

As an aside, I switched from a Vang ported 14 inch barrel, to a non ported 14 inch barrel, to try to protect my ears some in the field. There is no free lunch -- while the non ported barrel was quieter, it definitely recoiled more with Brenneke slugs than the ported barrel. Still a worthwhile trade off as I value my ears more than my shoulder.

Unobtanium
08-24-2014, 05:58 PM
I was verifying zero with Brenneke slugs this morning, and shot the 18 inch ghost ring Super Nova, along with a 14 inch 870, Beretta TX-4, and Beretta 1301.

The trigger on the Super Nova was about 90 pounds (only a slight exaggeration) and with the rear sight bottomed, it was still several inches high at 25 yards. I respect the nova, but it was easily my least favorite of the four shotguns to shoot.

As an aside, I switched from a Vang ported 14 inch barrel, to a non ported 14 inch barrel, to try to protect my ears some in the field. There is no free lunch -- while the non ported barrel was quieter, it definitely recoiled more with Brenneke slugs than the ported barrel. Still a worthwhile trade off as I value my ears more than my shoulder.

With the Benelli M4, the natural tendency is to align the 3 "dots" on the front and rear sights, much like one does on a pistol. The correct sight picture, however, is one that looks like a "mickey mouse" with the rear sight dots acting as ears. In fact, you ignore the dots all together and the center of the FSP goes in the ghost ring aperture. Not doing so will result in exactly your issue. I do not know if this was your issue or not, but I am throwing it out there as the two use similar sights.

GJM
08-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Dots? :)

I do like you suggest, and center the top of the front post in the aperture. Never understood the rear dots, as I look through the aperture as opposed to using it like a rear pistol sight.

Unobtanium
08-30-2017, 04:47 AM
An update, I just bought one with 50 rounds through it for $349 shipped. Bought a Limbsaver replacement recoil pad for it and plan on leaving it stock otherwise. Will use it for around the house and deer hunting (wooded/hilly). I think that it will be perfect for when I don't want to drag my M1014 out into the snow/rain for 12 hours on a deer hunt. I remember doing that with my DDM4, and always had to take the rail off and get the rust off the barrel etc. no-matter how well oiled it was.

P.E. Kelley
08-30-2017, 11:13 PM
I am a big fan of the Benelli SUPER Nova over the older Nova as you can change the stock drop and cast with a shim system.

The ComfortTech stock really works on the pump, no so much on the autos.

The outsides do rust pretty easily.

http://www.multigunmedia.com/img/s/v-2/p745119505-4.jpg

Unobtanium
08-30-2017, 11:55 PM
I am a big fan of the Benelli SUPER Nova over the older Nova as you can change the stock drop and cast with a shim system.

The ComfortTech stock really works on the pump, no so much on the autos.

The outsides do rust pretty easily.

http://www.multigunmedia.com/img/s/v-2/p745119505-4.jpg

Oh, I don't think they won't. I just know I'll be less sad over a $350 rusted shotgun than a $2K rusted anything.

How many rounds through your SN? Anything break yet?