PDA

View Full Version : Ameriglo I-Dot sights - where is the impact point supposed to be?

Mitchell, Esq.
07-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I just put the pair of GL-103 Ameriglo I-Dots I bought on TPI on a glock 19.

I love the sight picture they give, the eye is drawn well to the front sight and the rear yellow dot is nicely subdued so you get a lot of contrast while you get a reference for the rear sight in the dark, but it's very different from XS sights and Trijcon 3 dot sights, and it was giving me fits today when I shot them today for the first time.

Are these sights supposed to have the impact point set for 6 o'clock hold, bisecting the impact point(top of the front sight), or the tritium dot itself?

ToddG
07-13-2011, 09:24 PM
In my experience there is enough variation from gun to gun -- contrary to what most manufacturers would have you believe -- that the tiny difference between a "dot" hold and a "top edge" hold isn't the major issue.

Having said that, when I was shooting the Hack/i-dot combo and now with the Trij HD sights I used the center of the dot (the trit capsule) as my POI when the orange dot was smaller than the target I wanted to hit, and the top edge of the front sight when the orange dot was bigger than the target. This wasn't perfect at every possible combination of distance & target size but it works out well enough.

jlw
07-14-2011, 07:50 AM
I just put a set of these sights on a G17/3, and while I love the sight picture, they are taking some getting used to. I'm hitting significantly lower with them.

virginiatactical
07-14-2011, 09:04 AM
I just put a set of these sights on a G17/3, and while I love the sight picture, they are taking some getting used to. I'm hitting significantly lower with them.

Have you thought about changing up your front sight to the correct height? Ameriglo has a sight calculator for Glocks and they can help you find out the exact height you might need for the ammo you shoot. Check this website out for guidance. http://www.ameriglo.net/sights/calculator

This being said I do now know the answer to the OP's question about where the impact is suppose to be. I just change my sights so the impact is always at the top of the front sight. By using this calculator you could just crunch the numbers to where YOU want the impacts to be (whether its top notch, center of dot or 6 o clock). Just plug in the deviation you want and do the math!

I always recommend this little nifty tool for glocks.... http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Glock-Sight-In-Tool.html. Its cheaper than buying a front sight then another one. Just file it down with a gunsmithing file until you get the correct height for you. Then measure it with calipers, then order that front sight height from your favorite manufacturer. Saves money in the short run, much less the long run if you buy a couple of them.

ToddG
07-14-2011, 09:11 AM
What if the orange dot is huger than the target?

Thanks... fixed my post.

jlw
07-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Have you thought about changing up your front sight to the correct height? Ameriglo has a sight calculator for Glocks and they can help you find out the exact height you might need for the ammo you shoot. Check this website out for guidance. http://www.ameriglo.net/sights/calculator

This being said I do now know the answer to the OP's question about where the impact is suppose to be. I just change my sights so the impact is always at the top of the front sight. By using this calculator you could just crunch the numbers to where YOU want the impacts to be (whether its top notch, center of dot or 6 o clock). Just plug in the deviation you want and do the math!

I always recommend this little nifty tool for glocks.... http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Glock-Sight-In-Tool.html. Its cheaper than buying a front sight then another one. Just file it down with a gunsmithing file until you get the correct height for you. Then measure it with calipers, then order that front sight height from your favorite manufacturer. Saves money in the short run, much less the long run if you buy a couple of them.

The I-dots require the taller front sight in order to work with the different style rear sight.

Mitchell, Esq.
07-15-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm going to rest the gun and shoot it from 25 feet after work today.

I'm going to use a grid target with 1 inch squares so I can get a better idea of if I'm off, and if so by how much.

I'm a fuckup all on my own, so I'm 99% sure it is me. I haven't shot the Glock 19 in months because I've been using a Glock 26 w/ standard trijcons after my eyes changed on me and I had trouble with the big dots, so I'm sure their is something going on I haven't accounted for with weapon-user interface as well as weapon-user feedback.

Mitchell, Esq.
08-18-2011, 07:28 PM
I've been shooting these sights for a while, and I'm just not able to make them work.

I'm either not able to get the alignment right given the huge notch, I'm getting too much visual input from the sight picture, or something else is wrong...but with a Glock 26 w/ standard trijcon sights I'm able to hit a 3x5 at 10 yards, and I can't do the same with a Glock 19 with the I-Dots.

Too bad, because I liked the sight picture.

VolGrad
08-18-2011, 09:22 PM
I shot these for the first time last weekend on my Gen4 G21. I too like the picture but didn't seem to have the issues you did with them. I felt pretty confident with the results I had. I did as Todd recommended .... dot covering target out to the point the target was smaller than the dot, then went to 6 o'clock hold. Maybe I was just lucky.

jlw
08-18-2011, 09:56 PM
I haven't done a lot of serious work with them. I put them on, checked alignment, and then shot a GSSF match and an IDPA match with them. I wasn't instinctive with them; so, I haven't used that pistol the last couple of range visits. I would like to get some training time in with them before making a final judgement. I like the sight picture, but I am not sold one way or the other right now. If I had to order a set of sights tomorrow I probably would go with a Pro Glo and serrated rear, but time may change that.