PDA

View Full Version : Foot Pursuits:How Fast Should a LEO be?

GardoneVT
08-19-2014, 02:33 PM
In evaluating a potential career in law enforcement, I've realized that I've not the first idea what to expect in terms of real world foot pursuit fitness. No disrespect to the entry standards at the Academy, but what run standard should I be prepared for in terms of real life police work?

At this time I can clock a two mile run at 16.00 minutes,if that helps.

JV_
08-19-2014, 02:35 PM
You should be faster than the guy your chasing :)

Or, about as fast as this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnAe9bb8rXA

Erick Gelhaus
08-19-2014, 03:11 PM
It isn't pure speed (which can help) or endurance (helps too). One shouldn't chase at full tilt as you need to prepare for &/or avoid a number of barriers, obstacles along the path. The radio and ability to establish perimeters quickly are your friends. Being able to map a neighborhood / area in your mind's eye is a good thing.

Foot pursuits can be as problematic, risky as vehicle pursuits to the coppers - while vehicle pursuits tend to hazard decent, normal humans as well.

One BIG southern California agency has really taken on the foot pursuit issue in policy and training. They are NOT tilting in favor of chasing.

JHC
08-19-2014, 03:29 PM
You should be faster than the guy your chasing :)

Or, about as fast as this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnAe9bb8rXA

That is Biblically epic!

KeeFus
08-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Fast enough to keep them in sight and long enough to get other LEO's around. A lot of suspects run full tilt and gas out fast...then they look to hide. I can't tell you how many folks thought they had out run me (I ain't that fast) and slowed down and either hid or tried to blend in. A good steady pace is best. If that ain't good enough...then refer to the video above.

Lon
08-19-2014, 03:43 PM
While being able to run down a suspect is nice, it is among the last things I think about when I think about what makes a good officer.

Your performance level right now is well beyond what most foot pursuits need, in my experience. If you really want to do something to improve, run obstacle courses.

Keltyke
08-19-2014, 04:16 PM
If you have to chase a guy 2 miles, where the hell is your backup? I'd quit that department!

John Hearne
08-19-2014, 04:24 PM
If you have to chase a guy 2 miles, where the hell is your backup? I'd quit that department!

Come work some place rural. I cannot keep up with anyone out of the blocks, but given enough time, I can reel them in.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

MVS
08-19-2014, 04:51 PM
As others alluded to there is a lot more to it than just speed and endurance. There were weeks that I would literally be in multiple foot chases every day. Most of the time I would catch who I was chasing. Not because I was all that, but it was often a combination of me chasing, with other officers getting set up to intercept or getting back to the squad and catching up that way. Clearly the better shape you are in and the stronger/faster you are the better, but it sounds like you would be just fine.

Coyotesfan97
08-19-2014, 06:15 PM
If you can keep them in sight and give that information out on the radio that works. If you catch them before they can start jumping fences even better. I've gotten pretty good at evaluating foot pursuits on the radio. I know who are track stars are. When I'm in the office and I hear them go in foot pursuit I usually wait to hear them say the guys in custody. Some guys I just get up right away and walk out to the car because I know I'll be doing a search with my dog.

SouthNarc
08-19-2014, 06:25 PM

Gardone if you're younger than 30 I think you need to have that 2 miler more in the 12:30 range unless you're over 225 lbs.

MSparks909
08-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Gardone if you're younger than 30 I think you need to have that 2 miler more in the 12:30 range unless you're over 225 lbs.

12:30 will take some training; not something most can just go out and run. That's a solid pace for a 5K. But seriously, look to get your 300M run time around 55 seconds, depending on your age/weight/fitness level. Better than 50 seconds is ideal. That's in addition to stamina/endurance runs ranging from 3-8 miles. Do not underestimate the importance of fitness.

SouthNarc
08-19-2014, 06:36 PM
12:30 will take some training; not something most can just go out and run.

That's said from the standpoint of him looking at a unspecified future academy date. A motivated young dude should be able to get there.

At 46 I can run a sub 14:00 still.

JHC
08-19-2014, 06:39 PM
In evaluating a potential career in law enforcement, I've realized that I've not the first idea what to expect in terms of real world foot pursuit fitness. No disrespect to the entry standards at the Academy, but what run standard should I be prepared for in terms of real life police work?

A good 2 mile time is fine but work in short sprints. Build up to full intensity 40's. Here's the deal. I can't speak to chasing thugs. But from the days I ran track in HS and a little in college fast forward just a few years to my mid-20's and I discovered barking hamstrings because I just did distance running for my 2 mile tests. A full on sprint can take those out fast if you have not conditioned them for that explosive effort.

breakingtime91
08-19-2014, 06:41 PM

I am with southnarc, a 8:00 mile pace is on the slower side. While I realize its not practical for everyone to get out and pt five times a week but there are ways to fit a good work out routine in. Also consider the fact that you wont be working in your gym shorts and favorite running shoes, so try to keep that in mind while picking the way you pt. I am also beginning to consider a LEO type job and have started to work in plate carrier runs in conjunction to my lifting. While I would not be wearing a PC in that capacity as a LEO, it does give me a understanding of the weight i could have on me and being uncomfortable (which helps mentally).

JV_
08-19-2014, 07:23 PM
That is Biblically epic!
I got a chuckle out of the tackle at the end, I had to rewind it a few times.

SGT_Calle
08-19-2014, 07:37 PM
That is Biblically epic!

A. That cop was a BIG man with some long dang legs..
B. I love how he wrapped up his arms in the tackle so the BG went face first into the dirt, lol.
C. Nothing whatsoever to add to the OP... Just had to comment.

Chuck Haggard
08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Foot pursuits are one of the riskiest things a copper can do. Being fast is good, being smart is better.

LittleLebowski
08-19-2014, 09:45 PM

Agreed.

Jay Cunningham
08-19-2014, 09:49 PM
http://cdni.wired.co.uk/620x413/d_f/doughnuts.jpg

CATCH!

Coyotesfan97
08-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Foot pursuits are one of the riskiest things a copper can do. Being fast is good, being smart is better.

It always pays to think containment. Once the bad guy goes over a fence chasing him becomes very risky. Support your local K9 Unit. Give them some work!

psalms144.1
08-20-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm just a hair away from 50, and would be happy with a 16:00 2 mile time now. When I was in my early-mid 20s, I ran 2 milers consistently under 13:00 (at about 210#), with a best time of 11:08. So, if I was looking at an academy date right now, I'd be running my buns off - M/W/F long slow distance, Tu/Th speed work, to get that time down to at MOST 13:00.

Having said all that, I'm also post-surgical bi-lateral EPF with orthotic inserts from running 25-30 miles/week in my 20s (not to mention a LOT of ruck marching), so for me, it's the Gay Glide for aerobic work except my semi-annual physical fitness tests. For LE purposes, I think the ability to explosively sprint a moderate distance is key, though the longer runs are important for overall conditioning.

Regards,

Kevin

Shellback
08-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Support your local K9 Unit. Give them some work!

Why run? Release the hounds!!!

JR1572
08-20-2014, 12:21 PM
I'm an office dweller now and I have recently lost 60lbs because I was tired of being a fatass.

My 1.5 mile time is around 12:15. I'm not running everyday anymore because it's really hot down here, but I'm trying to get out there 3 times a week.

It's by no means really good, but when I first started running at the end of January this year it took me 11:30 to run 3/4 of a mile.

I'm still ashamed of letting myself turn into a flabby mess, but I'm happy about my progress and I'm getting in better shape.

Oh, I'll be 38 in December.

JR1572

GardoneVT
08-20-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm just a hair away from 50, and would be happy with a 16:00 2 mile time now. When I was in my early-mid 20s, I ran 2 milers consistently under 13:00 (at about 210#), with a best time of 11:08. So, if I was looking at an academy date right now, I'd be running my buns off - M/W/F long slow distance, Tu/Th speed work, to get that time down to at MOST 13:00.

Having said all that, I'm also post-surgical bi-lateral EPF with orthotic inserts from running 25-30 miles/week in my 20s (not to mention a LOT of ruck marching), so for me, it's the Gay Glide for aerobic work except my semi-annual physical fitness tests. For LE purposes, I think the ability to explosively sprint a moderate distance is key, though the longer runs are important for overall conditioning.

Regards,

Kevin
I'm going to have to catch a plane out to one of the agencies I'm applying for, so given that and the necessary BG check it'll be at least a year before I'd have an Academy date.

Given that, what's a good technique to get my times down?

Alpha Sierra
08-20-2014, 12:39 PM
If there's a local state college near you, see if you can talk to the track coach to help you. Or the local HS track or XC team.....

pablo
08-21-2014, 12:15 AM
Not very fast. I've survived enough of my stupidity to learn that working smarter in the long run beats working harder. My general experience is that if patrol can get a good perimeter set, the apprehension rate with K9 is about the same as foot chase. The big difference is that if the suspect gets turned into a chew toy, he's going to the hospital by himself.

I've lost count of the officers injured and killed as a result of foot chases. That's officers getting in fights with a suspect and no one knows where they are at, getting shot going around corners, officers wrecking out responding code 3 to foot chases, officers running across a street and getting hit by cars, officers jumping a fence and getting mauled by a dog in someone's back yard, fall injuries, injuries from sitting in a car all day and then going to a hard run, etc, etc, etc. Usually it's for some petty crap and the risk can't be justified by any reasonable measure.

Beat Trash
08-21-2014, 11:43 AM
If you don't catch them within the first 25-50 feet, then be fast enough to keep them in sight as you are on the radio.

You still have to have enough stamina left so that when you catch them, you are not spent. If they don't want to go to jail enough to run from you, then the odds of them complying once you catch them isn't so good. Often the end of a foot chase ends up having to go hands on. You could be in a ground fight really quick. Bad time to be totally spent from running too hard.

KeeFus
08-21-2014, 12:03 PM
If you don't catch them within the first 25-50 feet, then be fast enough to keep them in sight as you are on the radio.

You still have to have enough stamina left so that when you catch them, you are not spent. If they don't want to go to jail enough to run from you, then the odds of them complying once you catch them isn't so good. Often the end of a foot chase ends up having to go hands on. You could be in a ground fight really quick. Bad time to be totally spent from running too hard.

Or a gunfight. Christmas 1997 we had just completed an undercover drug operation, IIRC it was named Operation Blue Christmas. Officer sees suspect and knows we have a packet from the roundup so he gets out with him...foot chase ensues. Crack heads can be quick but Rob was a rescue swimmer in the Coast Guard or Navy and was in superb shape. Yule gases out between 2 shotgun houses. As Rob approaches he tells Yule he's under arrest...Yule presents a chrome 38 and fires a shot. Rob gets off the x and begins relaying information over the radio while drawing and looking for cover, his face burning from gunpowder. Yule thinks he hit Rob so he sticks his head around the corner of the house...Rob challenges him again...Yule fires another shot. Rob fires 1 shot at the muzzle flash, striking suspect in the left temple area. He drops like a sack of taters.

We carried Sig 226's loaded with 147gr Black Talons. Bullet separated in the noodle...jacket stopped inside the brain tissue and the core kept getting it...exiting the head.

That was a long night.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/168150/

Blake
08-21-2014, 02:45 PM
There are some pretty good comments in here. Being smart and aware of your surroundings should be up front. However, since you are specifically asking about speed, you might want to check out some of Rob Shaul's work. He has recently started some new programing he calls LE Athlete (leathlete.com). His focus/philosophy is as follows:

Fitness Attributes of a Law Enforcement Athlete

High Relative Strength
High Work Capacity for Short/Intense Events
Power for fast, explosive movements
Speed for short to moderate distance sprints
Upper body power, mass and strength for suspect handling and intimidation
Durability for a long career

It is pretty good programming. If you are interested in running further distances, you can look at getting Rob's run improvement program. I can tell you from my own experience, that if you work on 400m and 800m intervals, you will improve running from 100m to upwards of 2 miles pretty quickly. Try running 400m at 85% effort, rest 2 min and repeat for 4 rounds. Then run a 1 mile recovery jog. It is a good metabolic kick in the shorts.

psalms144.1
08-22-2014, 11:58 AM
It's been 3+ decades since I went through the Army Master Fitness Instructor's Course, but here are my (probably horribly outdated) thoughts on the matter:

1. Start off easy. If you over-train on day 1 and hurt yourself, it's no end of counterproductive. First, you'll be injured, so you'll be either not training at all or training half-kitten, or, "pushing through the pain" and making everything way worse (see my comments on the condition of my feet today...)
2. Stretching and warm up are ABSOLUTELY critical. If you're not taking the time to do a good stretch, you're begging for an injury. The warm up doesn't need to be extensive, or long, just enough to "loosen up" a hair
3. I used to run 4-6 days/week. I would do a minimum of two long, slow distance (LSD) runs and two speed workouts per week. If I had a chance to run a fifth day, it would be an extra LSD. I rarely trained on a sixth day, unless I was prepping for a longer event (10 miler, half marathon, etc)
-On LSD days, start at 2 miles, and work on just pushing yourself enough to shave time off your current performance. Work your way up to 4 miles - anything more than that is probably wasted energy unless you're training for a long-distance event
-Speed workouts:
--if you have a track nearby, nothing is better for ego-crushing than track intervals - sprint/jog drills. I'd start at a 1/4 mile jog to warm up, then a flat out 1/4 sprint, then a 1/4 jog, then as many 1/8th sprint - 1/8th jog intervals as you can do without injuring yourself. Once this starts to get routine, go for 2x 1/4 mile sprints (with jogs in between) followed by 1/8th intervals.
--As awesome as intervals are, they can get boring, and I wouldn't recommend a formal interval workout more than once per week. Another option is a "light pole" run - sprint/jog between alternating light poles for a mile or so, and work up to a couple of miles.
--If you have several running partners, "last man up" runs can be fun - everyone gets in a single file and lead man sets a MODERATE pace. Tail man sprints to the head of the column then sets a moderate pace, and so on for a couple of miles. The more folks you have running, the farther (and harder) you need to sprint, but the less frequently it's your "turn in the barrel." The key to this drill is not to run with kittenholes who get to the head of the column and keep on stepping out...
--Traditional 100m to 300m sprints are good to sprinkle in occasionally, but more as an evaluation tool to see how your "par time" is coming.
--If you've got a HS football stadium nearby, bleacher drills can be good for conditioning and balance training - but have a realistic expectation of your abilities or you can injure yourself pretty quickly.

For added enjoyment, to get an upper body workout in there, you can do the modified lightpole run on an LSD day, and every light pole do alternating pushups and crunches. If you want to be fancy, you can alternate the pushups (diamonds, wide grips, negative resistance, standards) and crunches (normal, cross knee "Rocky", side lifts, etc). Key to this is to minimize the "down time" at each pole so your legs aren't constantly "cooling off" while you do your PU/crunches...

I'm sure there are tons of folks who are WAY more current in sports physiology and running training than I am, but the above worked for me "back in the day."

Regards,

Kevin

Dr. No
08-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Being able to catch a rabbit is one thing, knowing what to do when you do is another.

There are a lot of things about foot pursuits you won't learn until you have some experience and good training. Most of the time I can see it coming and I'll get into their head before they get their chance.

I've lost a few and I've caught most, but the real key is how are you going to handle them once you do. A lot of guys will tackle and start to wrestle and get the cuffs on as soon as possible.

For me, once they have made the decision to run, I have made the decision to swiftly end the resistance with the proper amount of force. I'll usually employ a weapon (depending on circumstances) and seek compliance from the subject. Depending on what they've done or what information I have, I may or may not attempt to go hands on. For example:

Last foot pursuit I was in, we were serving a felony warrant on a guy for evading arrest in a vehicle and felony DWI. He snuck out a side window and I heard him go over a fence. I chased him down the street and was radioing out my position - except all my partners were on a different radio channel. I quickly realized I was on my own and I had to change my tactics a bit. Suspect ducks into an apartment complex and once I lose sight of him, I start to slow my pace. I'm seeing lots of corners where he could ambush me and my hackles came up. Gun is now out and I'm taking corners wide - mentally expecting to see him at any moment. I made some strategic decisions on which way to go and end up finding him. He's out of breath and trying to scale a fence. He sees me and turns around and starts walking towards me. Now I'm angry. I order him to the ground and tell him exactly what I'm going to do in a calm voice if he doesn't comply. He complies. I order him in a cuffing position still at gunpoint and he still complies. He's got his head down and he's doing exactly what I'm telling him to, so I decide to risk it and I went hands on and cuffed him.

In another call I came to back up a partner who was 300+ pounds. He's kind of a train wreck so I kept back further than I normally would have. He started giving off lots of signs that he was going to do something and when my partner went to cuff him, he bolted. I ran him down and knocked him to the ground. I kept him at taser point and again calmly told him what would happen if he did anything aside from hold still. Big Boy huffed and puffed and finally came over a few minutes later and plopped down on the guy. Funny part about the whole deal was he called everything out on the radio so everyone thought he had caught him. He was smart enough to fess up.

Last but not least, I was looking for a wanted guy who had 21 warrants for his arrest, most white collar (forgery, credit card abuse, hot checks, etc). Four of us originally went to the house but no one was home. I came back later and saw the subject walking down the road. As soon as I stopped he ran. The taser failed twice and he finally tripped and fell onto all fours. I jumped on top of him and thought I would just wrestle him down and cuff him, until he threw a leg under himself and rolled me. I realized that he knew how to fight and now the game had changed. My earpiece had come out of my ear and I was trying to give out radio traffic but apparently no one could hear me. I drew my baton and hit him in the leg, and he fell onto his back. This time he thrust both hands down the front of his pants and wouldn't bring his hands out. I already had my baton in my hands and I didn't want to waste time transitioning to my handgun, so I just began hitting him. My thought was that if his hands came out with anything I would just begin hitting him in the head. (I was above his shoulders) He finally rolled over again, pushed up on all fours, and ran again. I dropped my baton and tackled him and separated my shoulder when we landed. He rolled me again and elbowed me in the face. He stood up over me and I rolled onto my pistol to prevent a grab. He ran again and I went after him. I knocked him into a parked car and he fell with both hands under his body. Remembering his earlier actions I mounted him and applied the taser with no cartridge to his mid back, ordering him to put his hands up. He didn't, so I put the taser right behind his ear and gave him another zap. He finally changed his mind and brought out his hands empty. I held on to his hands and kept the taser on his neck. I heard sirens and flashed the taser on/off behind me so they could see the light. Big Boy from my last story actually found me and I told him to cuff the guy. When I stood up I almost blacked out. If you have ever done the CrossFit workout Fran and gotten into the 5 minute range, you will know *exactly* how I felt. As I stood up, a Sgt came over to talk to me and I fell into him. He brought his hands up and cracked me across the jaw with his elbow accidentally. Talk about insult to injury ...

Interesting post note to the story. Said subject had an amateur MMA fighter card in his wallet and had been training at a local gym for years. He had a broken hand and two broken arms and continued to fight. I credit my success with being aggressive, being in shape, being committed, and having a little luck on my side.

There are lots of guys who will not take the time to work out because 99.5% of the time you won't need it. I believe that .5% of the time is what we all need to be ready for so we can stop someone's wife and kids from crying at a wall every year.

I post all of this to say to our OP ... don't worry about how fast you need to be for a foot pursuit. Get in shape. Good shape. Pay attention in your academy. Become an expert in use of force. Learn through experience, and always strive to be up front, looking for work. Be smart, be safe, and train like your life depends on it.

HCM
08-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Dr. No,

Didn't Austin PD have an officer ambushed and stabbed with his own TDI knife on a foot pursuit a few years ago?

Dr. No
08-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Dr. No,

Didn't Austin PD have an officer ambushed and stabbed with his own TDI knife on a foot pursuit a few years ago?

Yes ... Officer Frank Wilson. I wouldn't say he was ambushed, but he got into several fights with his suspect and in the last one the suspect drew his Kabar and stabbed Frank in the neck. Frank shot and killed him and then crawled out into the street where he was found by a partner and rushed to a hospital. He has a pretty gnarly scar but made a full recovery. The whole event was just long delayed karma that the suspect had been avoiding..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Austin_yogurt_shop_murders#2010_death_of_Maur ice_Pierce

EM_
08-26-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm going to have to catch a plane out to one of the agencies I'm applying for, so given that and the necessary BG check it'll be at least a year before I'd have an Academy date.

Given that, what's a good technique to get my times down?

http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/decreaserunpace.htm

Ignore the quality of his page. The information is good juju. Mr. Smith has helped a shit-ton of people get in the type of shape needed for PT tests.

Personally after getting away from this and spending way too much time lifting and not enough time on cardio (don't care what the buzz word is this week); I've went back to the PT-test type of training and am in much better overall fitness.

(I've got just over 14 years as a street cop, FWIW)

gskip
08-28-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm surprised by all your guy's times and speeds. Utah POST only requires you to be able to run a mile and a half in 15:00 minutes. I just barely made it to that threshold and the academy starts in two weeks. I guess I'll just keep running then?

Chuck Haggard
08-28-2014, 01:00 PM
I would.

Not sure of your size, but in my 19-22 year old days I was 245-255 at 6'2 and was keeping my 2 mile Army PT run at 11:36 consistently.

LittleLebowski
08-28-2014, 02:21 PM
I'm surprised by all your guy's times and speeds. Utah POST only requires you to be able to run a mile and a half in 15:00 minutes. I just barely made it to that threshold and the academy starts in two weeks. I guess I'll just keep running then?

I would kick it up a notch. If you're in your 20's, you should be a bit faster than that. To borrow from ToddG, sometimes the only way to go faster is to....go faster. My little brother (http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-brothers-award-writeup.html) left the Corps at age 29 running a 15:40 three mile.

BLR
08-28-2014, 02:45 PM
I would kick it up a notch. If you're in your 20's, you should be a bit faster than that. To borrow from ToddG, sometimes the only way to go faster is to....go faster. My little brother (http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-brothers-award-writeup.html) left the Corps at age 29 running a 15:40 three mile.

That's obscene. ;)

LittleLebowski
08-28-2014, 02:47 PM
That's obscene. ;)

Indeed. He is 6'5" and a half, though. I was a steady 17:50ish for physical fitness tests with 19 minute three mile times very easily done throughout my eight years in. I would not have been pleased with a Marine that was over say 23 minutes on a three mile.

KeeFus
08-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Indeed. He is 6'5" and a half, though. I was a steady 17:50ish for physical fitness tests with 19 minute three mile times very easily done throughout my eight years in. I would not have been pleased with a Marine that was over say 23 minutes on a three mile.

When I was 18-22 I was 5'11 180...and my APFT 2 mile was 13:13ish. You fast guys suck.

LittleLebowski
08-28-2014, 02:58 PM
When I was 18-22 I was 5'11 180...and my APFT 2 mile was 13:13ish. You fast guys suck.

I was at the same weight/height at that age. Going to some good swimming schools in the military really helped me realize how much more I could push myself.

gskip
08-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Holy crap. You guys are beasts. The fastest I've ever ran a mile was a hair over eight minutes. I mean I'm not terribly out of shape, but you guys are hulked out.

Rich
08-29-2014, 08:19 AM
I saw Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry at the drive in.

Out running the radio is almost impossible.

I

Chuck Haggard
09-04-2014, 02:07 PM
http://www.odmp.org/officer/22174-police-officer-daryl-pierson

Coyotesfan97
09-04-2014, 04:04 PM
They're running for a reason but sometimes the suspect is the only one who nows why. It's a much harder search when an unknown guy runs from a stop.

RIP Officer Pierson. We've got it from here.

GJM
09-04-2014, 04:16 PM
I am waiting for John Hearne to come out with one of his charts on this. Over-learned being Olympic sprinter speed, down the continuum tof the officer who won't even get out of his cruiser, he is so slow.

EM_
09-04-2014, 08:26 PM
I am waiting for John Hearne to come out with one of his charts on this. Over-learned being Olympic sprinter speed, down the continuum tof the officer who won't even get out of his cruiser, he is so slow.

If I could post a slow-clap I would...

And I love Hearne's charts :cool:

Rex G
11-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Rest in peace, Officer Pierson. While at the odmp.org page, type "Abernethy" into the search box. Similar scenario. Chase smart, not (necessarily) fast.

Rest in peace; we have your watch, Officer Abernethy. I do not say this out of mere habit; the turds from the neighborhood patrolled by Officer Abernethy are not afraid to venture south, inside the Loop, into Central Patrol's area, my area. So many of our vehicular pursuits head north, to become foot chases north of the Loop.

The pressure to keep a fleeing criminal "in sight" is strong, prompting many to try so very hard to re-aquire a visual.

Let's be careful out there!

Chuck Haggard
11-02-2014, 04:19 PM
http://www.ky3.com/news/local/cedar-county-deputy-killed-in-early-morning-shootout/21048998_29489010?fb_action_ids=10205258287841931&fb_action_types=og.comments