PDA

View Full Version : IPSC World Shoot

raks
08-19-2014, 09:25 AM
October in Frostproof, anyone else going?

http://worldshootusa.com

PPGMD
08-19-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm doing the nationals right after the world shoot.

jetfire
08-19-2014, 11:14 AM
October in Frostproof, anyone else going?

http://worldshootusa.com

I hope you like rain.

PPGMD
08-19-2014, 12:08 PM
I hope you like rain.

It doesn't rain much during October, the rainy season typically stops around September.

But being Florida it isn't a bad idea to have a rain jacket. Mine rarely leaves my car.

jetfire
08-19-2014, 12:19 PM
I've never been to a match in Frostproof without some rain. Even in November it rained on us.

PPGMD
08-19-2014, 12:37 PM
I've never been to a match in Frostproof without some rain. Even in November it rained on us.

There is always a chance of rain in Florida year round. Just saying that in October typically there isn't much rain. In the summer it rains everyday, in that way it is a lot like the Pacific Northwest, except we have sun.

jetfire
08-19-2014, 02:41 PM
There is always a chance of rain in Florida year round. Just saying that in October typically there isn't much rain. In the summer it rains everyday, in that way it is a lot like the Pacific Northwest, except we have sun.

You also have humidity.

PPGMD
08-19-2014, 03:17 PM
You also have humidity.

We couldn't make it too nice, or else everyone would want to move here.

jetfire
08-19-2014, 03:32 PM
We couldn't make it too nice, or else everyone would want to move here.

Luckily you're full of Floridians, leading to my favorite twitter feed ever: Florida Man (https://twitter.com/_floridaman).

Pup town
08-19-2014, 04:17 PM
I was excited to have the rare opportunity to participate in a World Shoot on home soil, to compete against the best in the world, to shoot some of the most elaborate stages ever, and to share in the fellowship of shooters from around the globe.

But then someone told me it might rain. So now I'm not going.

jetfire
08-19-2014, 05:02 PM
I was excited to have the rare opportunity to participate in a World Shoot on home soil, to compete against the best in the world, to shoot some of the most elaborate stages ever, and to share in the fellowship of shooters from around the globe.

Yeah, that's why I've never shot a match at Frostrpoof.

Wait...

PPGMD
08-19-2014, 10:39 PM

I just did different World Shoot here on home soil, it rained a lot. Caleb was there too.

jetfire
08-20-2014, 10:09 AM
I just did different World Shoot here on home soil, it rained a lot. Caleb was there too.

Man, that match was like shooting in soup.

I actually really like Frank's range, I do think the drainage could use some work though, especially on a couple of the far bays. I think part of the reason SC suffered there is a considerable amount of "This Ain't Piru" syndrome, and of course the utter lack of support from USPSA HQ, who seemed determined to kill the sport.

PPGMD
08-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Man, that match was like shooting in soup.

I actually really like Frank's range, I do think the drainage could use some work though, especially on a couple of the far bays. I think part of the reason SC suffered there is a considerable amount of "This Ain't Piru" syndrome, and of course the utter lack of support from USPSA HQ, who seemed determined to kill the sport.

Personally USA is a fantastic range (though I think you are crazy coming out for the ProAm in July), but the reason I like shooting there is that the crew does a damn good job on stages. The matches that Shannon has put on have a very small percentage of hoser stages, which makes it a real challenge shooting the matches. I am looking forward to the IPSC Nationals, as it is my understanding he is going all out on building the stages for the IPSC stages this year.

CCT125US
08-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Luckily you're full of Floridians, leading to my favorite twitter feed ever: Florida Man (https://twitter.com/_floridaman).

Good stuff right there. Genius idea.

raks
09-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Stages are starting to go up & I'm getting excited! Sure hope this is a joke though: http://instagram.com/p/s59kpBprKJ/ 😊

PPGMD
09-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Stages are starting to go up & I'm getting excited! Sure hope this is a joke though: http://instagram.com/p/s59kpBprKJ/ ��

Granted there are still a ton of stages remaining to be released, but if that is stage 1 (which has a similarly shaped barrier) it doesn't show the no shoots.

Honestly I don't go analyzing the stages until I see them in person, and time the activators and such.

PPGMD
09-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Well all that stages are posted, this is going to be an interesting match.

raks
09-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Lots of movers and low ports! Very nice to see a Cooper tunnel too. This is going to be really fun.

raks
10-18-2014, 04:40 PM
My match is complete and I'm sitting poolside. What a great experience & thanks for the Florida hospitality. Shooting wise, well there's always next time in France, lol.

PPGMD
10-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Any tips, suggestions or gotchas you noticed?

I am shooting the World Shoot Stages for the IPSC Nationals this week.

raks
10-18-2014, 10:30 PM
There are a lot of changes from the posted stages, so go in with an open mind. The biggest surprise to me is that almost all the swingers are only available at their apex.

If you want a sneak peek I have all my runs on YouTube in the order i shot them fwiw: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2NswadUHsvqe_jJquRMGqQBR2cJqyldS

PPGMD
10-18-2014, 10:55 PM
There are a lot of changes from the posted stages, so go in with an open mind.

Ghee I've never heard that before. :p

Some days I am just happy if the round count from the match book is the same as the stages on the range.

But I am also surprised, as USA is typically pretty good about matching the stage diagrams to what they build, might be a side effect of having the IPSC staff there.

If you want a sneak peek I have all my runs on YouTube in the order i shot them fwiw: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2NswadUHsvqe_jJquRMGqQBR2cJqyldS

Thanks, I am going to go through that over the next couple of days. I think I start in area 1 and 2 on Tuesday.

PPGMD
10-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Shot stages 1-10 today. Crashed and burned.

raks
10-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Bummer, let us know how the rest of it goes! I really liked the stages although I have heard some whiners complaining that it was too easy? Cant say I felt that way and it was definitely the best match I have ever attended. Hopefully I can get down to Frostproof again someday for another visit.

Pup town
10-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Bummer, let us know how the rest of it goes! I really liked the stages although I have heard some whiners complaining that it was too easy? Cant say I felt that way and it was definitely the best match I have ever attended. Hopefully I can get down to Frostproof again someday for another visit.

Glad you enjoyed it and glad you didn't listen to the Debbie Downer that couldn't wait to tell you about how it was going to rain or be muddy.

PPGMD
10-24-2014, 09:00 AM

That was an easy match?!? I would hate to see what they consider an hard match. I have never been to a USPSA match that was anywhere near as hard.

I enjoyed shooting it, but I was disappointed with my performance. I got better as it went along, and by day three I got a hang of the hardest thing for me, shooting the swingers at their apex.

I found out on day two that I should have insisted that the range be fixed, or fix it myself. There were a number of stages where the fault line got buried, and with my limited feeling in my right leg I can't feel fault lines unless they are sticking up. Which is why I got three procedurals on day one on the river boat stage.

Of course my gun choking didn't help anything. Despite shooting 4,000 rounds to make sure my 9mm 1911 was reliable I had numerous failures to feed at the match. If I shoot this match again, I will probably shoot standard with my production gun.

jetfire
10-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Glad you enjoyed it and glad you didn't listen to the Debbie Downer that couldn't wait to tell you about how it was going to rain or be muddy.

It definitely did rain.

PPGMD
10-24-2014, 10:06 PM
It definitely did rain.

It always rains in Florida, we really should put that in the brochure. At least as my asterisk to the "Sunny Florida" trademark.

As far as mud, I don't think there will be much worry about that at USA for a while, the grass has all been worn down, and the range is mostly sand where ever the shooting boxes were.

jetfire
10-25-2014, 12:40 AM
It always rains in Florida, we really should put that in the brochure. At least as my asterisk to the "Sunny Florida" trademark.

As far as mud, I don't think there will be much worry about that at USA for a while, the grass has all been worn down, and the range is mostly sand where ever the shooting boxes were.

Serious question: did they fix the drainage issues on the end far left bay?

PPGMD
10-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Serious question: did they fix the drainage issues on the end far left bay?

It didn't rain at the IPSC Nationals. Maybe raks can speak for the World Shoot.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they fixed it, they've made a ton of improvements over the last two years. And I imagine that they will be planting a ton of grass to replace what was worn down by the world shoot.

jetfire
10-25-2014, 10:35 AM
It's no big deal, just idle curiosity on my part. I remember the last SC they had there, those back two bays before the big open bay were absolutely under water.

Slavex
10-26-2014, 06:22 AM
from some of the video I saw it did get muddy, lots of guys got covered in it on 5 going prone. Mike Lam (Canadian) looked especially happy when he got up. I wasn't all that concerned about missing this WS given the absolute gong shows the last 3 I've been to have been, but after having talked to hundreds of people that went, it seems like I missed a good one. Oh well.

PPGMD
10-26-2014, 08:25 AM
from some of the video I saw it did get muddy, lots of guys got covered in it on 5 going prone. Mike Lam (Canadian) looked especially happy when he got up.

That was basically an open sand tip. Which did cushion your fall to prone, but got you very dirty even when it was dry.

Before I started shooting stage 5 you can hear me sarcastically saying "This is going to be fun."

There wasn't any heavy rain, so combined with the sandy soil and warm sunny weather it should've dried up fairly quickly.

raks
10-26-2014, 10:35 AM
My squad shot in the rain on Tuesday afternoon. Temperatures we're warm and the rain was generally light so it wasn't much of an inconvenience. Shelter on the bays is very good which helped too.

Rain continued a little through that night but everything was fine in the morning with no puddles or mud issues that I saw.

I'm sure it could have been worse but 'luck counts'.