PDA

View Full Version : Unintentionally Limp-Wristing? How do I correct it?

The Dreaming Tree
08-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Semi-competent shooter with decent grip and posture (in my opinion), but I can't stop the gun from recoiling up and right in an almost arc. My biggest issue is I'm not sure what it feels like to do it any other way (if only I could possess TLG's body for a moment). As a professional drummer for 18 years, stiff wrists is something I've been trained to overcome since day 1. Now, I'm not sure If I'm actually limp wristing or what...

I can get shots in the 10-ring regularly without trouble one-at-a-time. Double-taps become more erratic. The fast I push, the wider the spread because of the recoil control, or lack thereof.

Help?

Lomshek
08-18-2014, 09:48 PM
with decent grip and posture

Don't be so sure about that. Your problem belies your statement.

First accept that your grip and posture can be improved then look for training to improve. Maybe someone else can link to a good tutorial video that shows what a proper grip looks like but the nuances between a mediocre and great grip are pretty hard to spot on a video.

jetfire
08-18-2014, 11:09 PM
"Grow stronger."

Hizzie
08-19-2014, 04:04 AM
Strength training. Improve the entire structure. Stronger legs for a more stable base. Stronger core to stabilize the trunk. Stronger chest, back and shoulders to stabilize the arms. Stronger arms and hands to better control the bullet launcher.

David Armstrong
08-20-2014, 01:40 PM
If you're a drummer it shouldn't be a strength issue as it relates to hands and arms, IMO. As mentioned, how about the core and the basic stability issue? You're in Vegas, IIRC there are a number of places there with trainers who should be able to identify a basic problem like this and help you with it.

ford.304
08-20-2014, 03:06 PM
the nuances between a mediocre and great grip are pretty hard to spot on a video.

This a dozen times over. I thought for over a year that I was correctly using a "thumbs forward grip" because, well, my thumbs *were* pointing forward, and the pad of my support hand *was* properly high on the grip...

dbateman
08-22-2014, 06:04 AM
Usually when my pistol is recoiling up and to the right or left it is something I am doing with my opposite hand IE I'm not applying equal pressure and the gun is exploiting it.

What type of gun are you shooting ?

The Dreaming Tree
08-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Usually when my pistol is recoiling up and to the right or left it is something I am doing with my opposite hand IE I'm not applying equal pressure and the gun is exploiting it.

What type of gun are you shooting ?

M&P Pro C.O.R.E. 5" is my home defense, fun gun. M&P Compact is my every day carry.

SecondsCount
08-22-2014, 10:37 PM
M&P Pro C.O.R.E. 5" is my home defense, fun gun. M&P Compact is my every day carry.

What caliber?

P30
08-23-2014, 03:31 AM
Maybe someone else can link to a good tutorial video that shows what a proper grip looks like

Two awesome tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzC6djUQxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChSazF41q-s

In my own, humble words:

Use an isosceles stance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isosceles_Stance) and a thumbs-forward grip as shown in the videos. Grip the pistol as high as possible.
Bent your knees a little. Lean a bit forward.
Imagine a strong jet of water shooting out of the muzzle. This should lock the wrists.
With your support hand, apply a firm c-clamp grip around your shooting hand.
Increase the pressure on the trigger maintaining the jet of water and the c-clamp.
Follow-through. Reset the trigger.

Practice this with Bill Drills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hue4EWxyg54

P30
08-23-2014, 04:00 AM
Some quotes from the chapter "Grip Management (recoil control)" from Mike Seeklanders excellent book "Your Competition Handgun Training Program":

Leverage: "Both strong hand and support hand must be placed as high on the grip of the handgun as possible."
Friction: "we maximize out skin contact with the grip panels"
Pressure areas: "The key area is the back of the gun (back strap)." "The support hand should be the gripping hand that applies the most pressure."

PS: I press with the ball of the thumb of my support hand on the grip. This increases friction.

P30
08-23-2014, 04:17 AM
I thought for over a year that I was correctly using a "thumbs forward grip" because, well, my thumbs *were* pointing forward, and the pad of my support hand *was* properly high on the grip...
And what was still wrong?

PS: Another great Bill Drill tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzkCCkilVDU

Rich
08-25-2014, 11:36 AM
What caliber?

+1
Caliber and loads are you using?

There are some loads and pistols that don't work well for me.

I went from a Sig P229 40S&W using 180gr loads to a P30S 9mm.

I don't care for the impulse when shooting 147gr loads and find the standard pressure 124gr seems to have less pronounced recoil.

When looking for a 40S&W I bought a G23 and didn't like the recoil and that was when I didn't have arthritis.

I also don't care for shooting 9mm/40S&W sub compacts

Really prefer the so called heavy handguns like Beretta,Sig P226/P229, M5906 and in revolvers the M686 and GP100 using 38spl+P