PDA

View Full Version : Mumba, Indiai hit again.....

Kyle Reese
07-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Story here.... (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-india-mumbai-blasts-20110714,0,4728954.story)

JHC
07-13-2011, 06:43 PM
India needs to get full on in this Long War with us. Unless I'm missing something not in the open source info.

jslaker
07-13-2011, 07:49 PM
India needs to get full on in this Long War with us. Unless I'm missing something not in the open source info.

These attacks happen because India is in it whether they like it or not. Their next door neighbor is nuclear-armed and antagonistic, and they've come to the very brink of nuclear exchange more than once in the past decade.

It's not an expeditionary conflict for them like it is for us; Pakistan, Kashmir, and religious extremism are at the heart of Indian national security.

JHC
07-13-2011, 07:55 PM
These attacks happen because India is in it whether they like it or not. Their next door neighbor is nuclear-armed and antagonistic, and they've come to the very brink of nuclear exchange more than once in the past decade.

It's not an expeditionary conflict for them like it is for us; Pakistan, Kashmir, and religious extremism are at the heart of Indian national security.

Exactly. And there are more Muslims living in India than in all Arab lands. So I guess they figure their interests are best served by trying to sit it out or appear to. They must not react to slaughter with the Old West instincts we do.

jslaker
07-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Exactly. And there are more Muslims living in India than in all Arab lands. So I guess they figure their interests are best served by trying to sit it out or appear to. They must not react to slaughter with the Old West instincts we do.

The situation in India is like if Canada deeply hated the United States, Canadian insurgents routinely attacked us with the tacit support of the Canadian government, and, oh, they have nuclear weapons, too.

Within the last 10 years, the two countries have come to the very brink of a nuclear conflict that the United States estimated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001%E2%80%932002_India%E2%80%93Pakistan_standoff# Threat_of_nuclear_war) would immediately kill 8-12 million people, and sicken and eventually kill millions more. The nuclear arsenals of both countries have only expanded since then.

It's not a matter of "not reacting like we do" so much as they're mired in a very different conflict than we are.

JHC
07-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I've read some amazing analyses by Indian national security think tank folk going on quite confidently about their capacity to ride out a nuclear exchange with Pakistan and come out on top. A billion folks.

Yeah, it's a different situation alright. But their role in the Long War doesn't primarily have to be directly targeted at Pakistan. I've never seen much about their own internal work in this area. I don't even have a sense that they have an extremely severe internal problem with "political Islam" of the modern jihadist movement vs their age old occassional horrific riots and such.