PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 - Inside Mordor

RevolverRob
08-18-2014, 09:02 AM
This morning dawns day two for this Texan transplanted to Chicago - Land of no parking, crooked politicians, and a lot of violent crime. Thus far, I have only heard a single siren, this morning. I slept with the windows open, in August, for the first time, ever. I've seen cops all over the place. I have not dealt with anything serious thus far, a panhandler yesterday, and that's pretty typical around here. Chicago really isn't much different than other major cities. There are places you go, places you don't, and places that if you have to go, you keep the windows up, doors locked, and drive quick.

Today, I venture out to procure things for the new homestead from the Swedish elves. And I need to find the closest caffeine fairy and acquire some caffeine. Since, I left my last proper "sword" back in the old country, I will instead opt to carry a small fixed blade and try this thing were I pretend evil can't find and attack me, I hear it works well. (That's a joke for those of you with broken humor meters). It's been three days since I last had a pistol in my possession, and five days since I've last dry-fired. I'm starting to feel some serious withdraw symptoms. I am thinking Laserlyte trainer? Anyone work with one of them regularly? I'd go SIRT, but money is tight from the move and I like that I can get a Laserlyte and a target with it, for a few dollars less.

In other news - I have to get a "Welcome to Chicago" "parking permit" so that we can park legally on the street. Don't get me wrong, my car is legally parked on the street currently, as in it is properly and legally parked with respect to the laws, but Lord Emmanuel says that we must pay $85 to have the privilege of parking it. I also have to go get my IL DL and file FOID paperwork, in hopes that sometime in the next 3 months, I can reacquire one of my already, legally owned, firearms. :rolleyes:

Obviously, not a lot of folks here are thinking of moving to Mordor, but if you are, these are the things you'll deal with.

-Rob

PS: Thank you to all who helped me get into contact with folks in Chicago dealing with firearms issues. It made life much easier to deal with overall during this move.

LittleLebowski
08-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Get a good Chicago hot dog yet? Recommended. Have them "drag it through the garden."

RoyGBiv
08-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Prayers sent.

Lon
08-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Two words for you: italian beef.

Ok, two more: Lou Malnati's

What the heck, two more: Garrett's popcorn.

Those (along with previously mentioned hot dogs) are the only things I miss about living outside Chicago.

Malamute
08-18-2014, 10:25 AM
A guy I've worked with is from Chi-town. He went on and on about the pizza there.

Best of luck in the settling in and the new life there. Hope you can get the paperwork squared away quickly to become properly armed and able to carry.

eta: a good takedown pump shotgun would seem comforting when otherwise deprived of arms.

Sheep Have Wool
08-18-2014, 10:28 AM
I don't understand the love for the Chicago dog. The only type that are even marginally acceptable are the char dogs. Flavorless tomato and a limp pickle do not a good hot dog make, even if I do like the poppy buns.

I can absolutely get behind the Italian beef sandwiches and the pizzas, though.

ETA: When you're ready to take out a second mortgage for dinner, Chicago has one of the coolest restaurants in the world (http://website.alinearestaurant.com/).

WDW
08-18-2014, 10:33 AM
I had to go to Chicago once for my brother's Navy graduation. I hated it! I felt so naked w/o my gun. Luckily, it was in the northern, nicer part, so it wasn't too bad. I don't ever plan on going back though if I can avoid it.

LittleLebowski
08-18-2014, 10:41 AM
I don't understand the love for the Chicago dog. The only type that are even marginally acceptable are the char dogs. Flavorless tomato and a limp pickle do not a good hot dog make, even if I do like the poppy buns.

What you describe is not what I experienced several times in Chicago.

SAWBONES
08-18-2014, 11:27 AM

You've not had the genuine article in its best form, obviously.
Of course, you have to like Kosher pure beef hot dogs to begin with.

SAWBONES
08-18-2014, 11:29 AM
This morning dawns day two for this Texan transplanted to Chicago -

Be sure to spend some time at the Field Museum of Natural History, one of my favorite places growing up there as a kid in the '50s-'60s.

GardoneVT
08-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Be sure to spend some time at the Field Museum of Natural History, one of my favorite places growing up there as a kid in the '50s-'60s.

Heck, the OP needs to spend the whole day checking out the museums. I was home schooled as a kid and my mom would routinely take me to the Shedd, Museum of Science and Industry (further south on the LSD) and Adler Planetarium. I learned more in those four years then I have in the last ten years of traditional schooling.

Back to topic. Three things the OP needs to do.

ONE, find the Chicago Department of Revenues website. Check it weekly. Run your license plate through the ticket tracker every week, because the DoR are more vicious then Afghan warlords. Just because your car doesn't have an orange sticker doesn't mean you have no citations.... Ask me how I know.
Two unpaid tickets and the Denver Boot is sure to grace your car

Two, look up each of the museums I listed above, as each one has free days during the week. IIRC Thursdays are when admission to the Shedd and History Museum are free, although extra exhibits and 3D movies inside aren't free....nor is parking, but that's Chicago for ya.

Three, eat. While Chicago's known for pizza and whatnot, plenty of ethnic places exist which are fabulous eats. I know of a grand Thai place in a hotel on N Granville which serves the best Pad Thai you'll eat this side of the International Date line.

Totem Polar
08-18-2014, 12:16 PM
I was home schooled as a kid...

Totally OT, but this statement strikes me as being in accord with your quality posts around here.

Carry on.

Shellback
08-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Besides the gun laws, and politics in general, Chicago has some of the neatest things to do in any major large city in N. America. Awesome museums, parks, restaurants, etc.

The Lincoln Park Zoo is amazing, and free! Shedd aquarium as mentioned, Navy Pier... Try using Yelp or similar and you'll be amazed at how much cool stuff there is.

tremiles
08-18-2014, 12:39 PM
I grew up in the W. subarbs and lived there for 26 years. As many have already said, there are places you go and places you don't go. For the most part, the places you don't go don't have anything you need. My dad worked downtown, so I spent a fair bit of time in the museums as a kid. My favorites were always the Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd, and the Art Institute. Don't become a Cubs fan. It's an exercise in repeatedly smashing your kitten with a meat tenderizer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

SAWBONES
08-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Heck, the OP needs to spend the whole day checking out the museums. I was home schooled as a kid and my mom would routinely take me to the Shedd, Museum of Science and Industry (further south on the LSD) and Adler Planetarium.

I completely agree, and didn't mean to imply a one-time visit; I spent many full days at the Field Museum.

Science and Industry is also a many visits proposition, including the WWI submarine and the coal mine.

The Adler Planetarium and the aquarium at least once or twice.

PPGMD
08-18-2014, 05:33 PM

I can absolutely get behind the Italian beef sandwiches and the pizzas, though.

Based on your description you've only had cheap copies.

The Chicago dog and pizza are the only reasons why Chicago should be allowed to continue it's existence.

Yes I am still bitter about that shit hole of a city. They gave us Obama, and they destroyed Meigs field.

RevolverRob
08-18-2014, 06:23 PM

I moved to Chicago, because I am getting my PhD in Evolutionary Biology at the University of Chicago working in conjunction with curators at the Field Museum. Translation - One of my offices over the next five years will be inside of the Field Museum! :D It is super awesome being a paleontologist sometimes. When I saw the Field Museum for the first time, I knew I wanted to move here. The gun laws suck and the weather isn't great, but a geek like me can't resist being let loose, with the keys, literally, to a million square foot museum.

Thanks for the suggestions and well wishes everyone! We are sorting things out and really enjoying the weather and culture here. Chicago might have a reputation for crime, but all the people we've met doing an honest day's labor as about as nice and kind as can be and extremely helpful. We are definitely going to be exploring the city a bunch, fortunately my wife's sister and her husband live here in Chicago and are only about 5 years older than us, meaning we have some peers, family, and friends to help us get moving here. I think we'll be headed to Peaquod's for dinner tonight, for some deep dish pizza.

-Rob

GardoneVT
08-18-2014, 08:40 PM
I completely agree, and didn't mean to imply a one-time visit; I spent many full days at the Field Museum.

Science and Industry is also a many visits proposition, including the WWI submarine and the coal mine.

The Adler Planetarium and the aquarium at least once or twice.

They've also got that Pan Am 707 that's cut away in the middle, which is quite a sight given it being suspended over three stories of thin air. I'll stop here before I catch a bout of homesickness.

Edit-come winter, the Auto Show at McCormick place is a car nuts dream. That was an annual tradition at my household, and should be at yours too.

Don Gwinn
08-18-2014, 08:51 PM
People are giving you great advice here. Frankly, I like Chicago. And I'll go one step further: I find people friendlier, especially in crowds, in Chicago than in the suburbs.

I liked the Laserlyte trainers a lot at NRAAM. I would venture my non-expert opinion that the LL guns are all about trigger practice. You can't install "real" sights to replicate your "real" gun, and they won't fit perfectly in holsters made for Glocks (I assume?) But if you want to practice a trigger press without a firearm, they have a nice break and a very definite reset. If NextLevel doesn't answer me soon on buying a new trigger group for my SIRT, I'm liable to end up with a LL.

Watch those parking tickets; Chicago is famous for mailing them out to people all over the state whether they've been to Chicago recently or not. Supposed to be just the occasional glitch, but a lot of us down here in Springfield figure they get a certain number of people who just decide to pay rather than fight.

LittleLebowski
08-18-2014, 09:08 PM
I moved to Chicago, because I am getting my PhD in Evolutionary Biology at the University of Chicago working in conjunction with curators at the Field Museum. Translation - One of my offices over the next five years will be inside of the Field Museum! :D It is super awesome being a paleontologist sometimes. When I saw the Field Museum for the first time, I knew I wanted to move here. The gun laws suck and the weather isn't great, but a geek like me can't resist being let loose, with the keys, literally, to a million square foot museum.

Thanks for the suggestions and well wishes everyone! We are sorting things out and really enjoying the weather and culture here. Chicago might have a reputation for crime, but all the people we've met doing an honest day's labor as about as nice and kind as can be and extremely helpful. We are definitely going to be exploring the city a bunch, fortunately my wife's sister and her husband live here in Chicago and are only about 5 years older than us, meaning we have some peers, family, and friends to help us get moving here. I think we'll be headed to Peaquod's for dinner tonight, for some deep dish pizza.

-Rob

If you say you'll be studying with Neal Schubin, I will be intensely jealous.

RevolverRob
08-19-2014, 07:53 AM
If you say you'll be studying with Neal Schubin, I will be intensely jealous.

I probably won't be working directly with Neal, we work on different kinds of questions within paleontology. But if he teaches a class over the next five years, I will certainly take it and I do plan to sit down with him a few times over the years to seek his guidance and advice.

___

Day 3 in the land where the Constitution is apparently not applicable - I managed to get my first speeding ticket ever last night. I, however, refuse to acknowledge it as legitimate since it was issued by a speed camera which involved no police enforcement at all. Apparently, the concept of the Sixth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution doesn't exist here and they can just slap cameras anywhere, Big Brother style, and mail you citations for failing to adhere to the two minutes hate or whatever. Actually, my understanding is, this is a civil fine, and not a criminal one, because they cannot win on criminal prosecutions of camera enforcement (because a camera cannot testify in court).

That said - I find it highly disturbing that speed cameras exist and are in force around the city. At this point, there are fifty of them. I'm contemplating making it a challenge over the next five years to get a ticket from all of them. But I really don't want to give this city more money. I gotta tell you guys, Chicago is just so endearing to people who have lived in a free state....

In other news, after some errands this morning, my friend and I will head downtown for him to check it out and then up to the Lincoln Park Zoo. This time, I'll take the train. Only cameras to observe you and warn the local constabulary there, not to issue tickets for exercising free speech.

-Rob

LOKNLOD
08-19-2014, 07:56 AM
. Only cameras to observe you and warn the local constabulary there, not to issue tickets for exercising free speech.

You should carry a sign and chant "I hate Rahm because I love liberty" the whole time on the train, just to test out that last part.

RevolverRob
08-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Days 3 - 4 - and 5 -

I went to a Cubs game with my father-in-law on Tuesday. We sat, literally, behind the visitors (Giants) dug out and watched the game, until it was rain-delayed and then canceled.

Day 4 - We got up and started to run some errands, went to where I'd parked the car the night before. My car was fine, but this was awaiting me...

http://i.imgur.com/UfeRhZk.jpg

Maybe one block down from my house about 20-30 feet from where my car was parked...:D

Day 5 - I drove the friends and brother-in-law that helped us move from Tejas to the airport to head back home. Nothing like watching crack dealers do business at 6 in the morning a mile from your apartment...:eek: To be honest, I am sure there was a drug dealer within 1000 yards of my apartment in Austin, too. It's just he didn't stand on a street corner and hustle rock.

In other news, I have learned that air conditioners are nice when it's 85-degrees, 90-100% humidity, and you live on the third floor - I bought a portable one and set it up today, for the first time in a week, I can walk through the apartment without swimming.

And there you go - more than you ever wanted to know.

45dotACP
08-21-2014, 11:06 PM
You sir, are doing Chicago right. Also, with U of Chi, those'll be some very impressive initials to add to the end of your name!

DISCLAIMER: I am from the Burbs, so some of the Natives may snicker at my opinion :D

Not gonna lie, there are drawbacks. Violent crime being one. Not a perfect CCW system is another. Also, you will learn this about Chicago. There is no hotter place than Chicago in the summer. But that is okay, because there is also no colder place than Chicago in the winter. You get all sorts of lake effect snow and winds howling off the Lake that turn the city a good 10 degrees colder than the burbs. And the price of gasoline....oh the price of gasoline. You undoubtedly already ran into that one ;)

I'm not gonna lie, I've been to a few big cities, and as far as gigantic Metropolitan areas go, I like Chicago the most. Midwestern charms and everything. Also, going to the beach without feeling like there's a salt shaker in your mouth has a special charm of its own. And of course, of the "Big Three" which would be NYC, Chicago, and LA, the easiest place to get a Permit to Carry is Chicago...

The Museums, Zoos, Restaurants, and Concerts are like none other. I tend to enjoy Jazz music, and the "Jazzin at the Shedd" events are well worth it. Also, many museums have special "free days" to residents, so you got that going for you too. My sister used to love taking me and my little brother downtown to find random musical performances that were open to the public. The Taste of Chicago is sometimes worth it, depending on when you go. If you go on a weekend, you'll probably get smothered in people and there is the occasional shooting. If you're into contemporary music, I'm afraid you just missed Lollapalooza, which is nearly always a dirty, filthy, hysterically fun mess.

Go to Gino's East for your deep dish needs and you won't be disappointed. Portillo's is all most need to know when it comes to Italian Beef, but there are a couple good places. I only recently picked up the affection for the Chicago Hot Dog...and it's tasty.

Looks like you're in a pretty rough neighborhood though. Stay safe out there man.

LittleLebowski
08-22-2014, 06:10 AM
I probably won't be working directly with Neal, we work on different kinds of questions within paleontology. But if he teaches a class over the next five years, I will certainly take it and I do plan to sit down with him a few times over the years to seek his guidance and advice.

Still jealous and hope to hear more about your work.

23JAZ
08-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Days 3 - 4 - and 5 -

I went to a Cubs game with my father-in-law on Tuesday. We sat, literally, behind the visitors (Giants) dug out and watched the game, until it was rain-delayed and then canceled.

Day 4 - We got up and started to run some errands, went to where I'd parked the car the night before. My car was fine, but this was awaiting me...

http://i.imgur.com/UfeRhZk.jpg

Maybe one block down from my house about 20-30 feet from where my car was parked...:D

Day 5 - I drove the friends and brother-in-law that helped us move from Tejas to the airport to head back home. Nothing like watching crack dealers do business at 6 in the morning a mile from your apartment...:eek: To be honest, I am sure there was a drug dealer within 1000 yards of my apartment in Austin, too. It's just he didn't stand on a street corner and hustle rock.

In other news, I have learned that air conditioners are nice when it's 85-degrees, 90-100% humidity, and you live on the third floor - I bought a portable one and set it up today, for the first time in a week, I can walk through the apartment without swimming.

And there you go - more than you ever wanted to know.

Do what I did, Pack up and move to Vermont!

Don Gwinn
08-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Yeah, the good news is, not having a CCL really didn't matter at Wrigley or the zoo or on the trains. None of those places are allowed to allow carry (yet.)

LittleLebowski
08-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Do what I did, Pack up and move to Vermont!

He just moved to Chicago for work and explained why; it's in this thread.

RevolverRob
08-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Yeah, the good news is, not having a CCL really didn't matter at Wrigley or the zoo or on the trains. None of those places are allowed to allow carry (yet.)

It's actually not that different from Texas (no guns at sporting events and public transit is questionable). The wife and I did bring a car, because despite what some folks think, not everything that ever existed, exists in Chicago (I literally had people ask me, "Why would you want a car in Chicago? Everything exists there!") and so when I do get my permit, I can carry while running errands/etc. I've got a small custom fixed blade, with a 2.5" blade that I carry, and a small slipjoint folder for general cutting tasks. Frankly, this whole experience has my reorienting my skillset and training regime (like I wanted to anyways). When I get back to guns, it will probably be in a very different way from where I was before. At this point, I'd sleep better having a gun of some type around, but I don't feel much more different than I do when I travel internationally either.

He just moved to Chicago for work and explained why; it's in this thread.

Thanks!

To expound, yes I moved here from Texas, if I were leaving tomorrow, I would definitely head back to Texas. The move wasn't an easy choice, to move from the Land of the Free to the Land Where the Constitution Sometimes Applies. But I was offered the career opportunity of a lifetime (do a PhD in Evolutionary Biology at UChicago), with incredible funding (~100k/year in total funding for five years), with the opportunity to do any research that I want to do in Ev. Bio. no strings attached, I literally ask my questions, create the ways to investigate them, and have funded my independent research, no ties to someone else for funding, no supervisor/grant funded projects, I have unparalleled freedom.

This combined with potential career growth for my wife (she is in auditing/finance/management) and the potential to be less than a 45 minute drive from family (wife's sister, her husband, one nephew, and another niece/nephew on the way) for the next five years which would improve overall home life quality...well...Frankly I would have been dumb to turn it down. I had other, lesser, opportunities, in better places. And without going into super great detail, I fought tooth and nail to get to this position and silenced some pretty serious and harsh critics along the way.

It wasn't easy leaving my home state, and then leaving Austin, a place I'd lived for the better part of a decade, but I couldn't let gun laws and material objects stand in the way of being a better person or finding and using my potential to the fullest. If I did that, I might as well just hang a sign over my head that said "quitter" on it. I'll play by the inane Illinois rules to get my gun and follow all the laws, because I have to. All that said, I wouldn't blame anyone for suggesting a move out of this place. I plan to be here five years and then GTFOH to someplace, preferably warm and dry with mild winters, for the rest of my life. It's coincidental that those places also have better gun laws than here....maybe.

-Rob

1slow
08-24-2014, 08:41 PM
An ex Russian acquaintance of mine works in NY,NY. He told me he makes much more money there. He views it as a combat tour. Get in, make money get out.

Suvorov
08-24-2014, 09:24 PM
I was based out of ORD for 4 years and enjoyed the times I ventured into the city. If I thought that I would be based there the rest of my career, I'd have moved my family to one of the less draconian areas surrounding Chicago in a heart beat. Of the 4 big cities in the US, Chicago is my favorite. It is beautiful, full of culture, good food, and a lot of good people. POTUS and his cronies excepted, I don't get the elitist "I hate the US" attitude which is quite prevalent in LA and NY. Rather the average Chicagoan I came in contact with was true to their midwest roots. Damn shame the bad guys have such a choke hold on it.

Good luck and enjoy!

23JAZ
08-25-2014, 06:19 PM
"He just moved to Chicago for work and explained why; it's in this thread."

Yes I know. Sorry must of forgot the sarcastic smiley face.

RevolverRob
08-29-2014, 09:39 AM
We're coming up on Day 14 in Mordor - Anyone want to take an over-under on the number of shootings this holiday weekend? During Easter weekend 45 shot, during July 4th there were 87 shot. Labor Day is the last big weekend of good weather. The weatherman says rain today, then sunny and pleasant the rest of the weekend. I'm going with 75 shootings over the next 96 hours (from midnight this morning to midnight Monday night).

So far - No shootings to report today - last shooting was 10:15pm last night. I will update as I enjoy listening to the police scanner and checking the news occasionally throughout the day.

-Rob

LittleLebowski
08-29-2014, 09:56 AM
81 shootings.

RoyGBiv
08-29-2014, 09:56 AM
^^^ I think your estimate is light... I'll take the OVER. (My guess is 83)

RevolverRob
08-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Well - Most of the day has been uneventful, no shootings until this evening apparently, we are up to two so far - http://voices.suntimes.com/news/breaking-news/chicago-weekend-shootings-tracker-for-aug-29-sept-1/ - But I went for some Chipotle earlier (No one was open carrying there) and could see things were starting to heat up tonight. I'm planning to be home before dark the rest of the weekend.

-Rob

LittleLebowski
08-30-2014, 08:36 AM
10 this morning.

MGW
08-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Besides the gun laws, and politics in general, Chicago has some of the neatest things to do in any major large city in N. America. Awesome museums, parks, restaurants, etc.

The Lincoln Park Zoo is amazing, and free! Shedd aquarium as mentioned, Navy Pier... Try using Yelp or similar and you'll be amazed at how much cool stuff there is.

I spent a couple days in Chicago fresh out of Navy boot camp and had a blast. All in dress whites mind you. I was pretty naive back then and did some things I would never do now but lucked out and had a mostly event free good time.

We went everywhere on foot because it was what we could afford. I know I only scratched the surface of what was there to see, mainly because most pizza places never asked for IDs if you were in uniform, and would love to go back there with the family.

Being unarmed there really makes me nervous though.

threedogdad
08-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Rob,

Thanks for starting this thread. It's interesting to learn a little about a place I have never visited, but I'm more interested in your field of study. That was one I truly wanted to follow back in the day, but I ultimately went down a different path. No regrets, but I am a little jealous.

Congrats on your upcoming opportunities and thanks again for all the info.

Hambo
08-31-2014, 07:14 AM
RevolverRob, try to look at the bright side. This will be hard to do in winter when you don't see the sun for five months, but try anyway.

First, you're not in Philadelphia. That fact alone should warm you on the coldest of winter days. Second, even thought there is significant violent crime in Chicago, it's not as bad as say, Mogadishu. Third, decoding firearms laws and filling out forms so you can legally own the guns you own will give you a something to do when you're not hammering out your dissertation.

Seriously, congrats on the chance to study there and I hope you get your guns soon. Enjoy the Midwest and Midwesterners while you can, you never know when you'll end up in Philly.

RevolverRob
08-31-2014, 09:08 AM
RevolverRob, try to look at the bright side. This will be hard to do in winter when you don't see the sun for five months, but try anyway.

First, you're not in Philadelphia. That fact alone should warm you on the coldest of winter days. Second, even thought there is significant violent crime in Chicago, it's not as bad as say, Mogadishu. Third, decoding firearms laws and filling out forms so you can legally own the guns you own will give you a something to do when you're not hammering out your dissertation.

Seriously, congrats on the chance to study there and I hope you get your guns soon. Enjoy the Midwest and Midwesterners while you can, you never know when you'll end up in Philly.

Philly?! Argh, don't wish such things on a person!! - On a more serious note, someone would have to offer me a great job to move to Philly. I'd rather teach at a CC in Texas than have to live in Philly/Baltimore/Detroit or almost anywhere within the rust belt of America for the rest of my life. I'm not sure my bones can take it.

Thank you for the well wishes!

Rob,

Thanks for starting this thread. It's interesting to learn a little about a place I have never visited, but I'm more interested in your field of study. That was one I truly wanted to follow back in the day, but I ultimately went down a different path. No regrets, but I am a little jealous.

Congrats on your upcoming opportunities and thanks again for all the info.

I'll be happy to expand a bit more for those interested and I'll certainly keep you guys up to date. This is kind of like my journal right now, it's been a lot of fun to get outside of my comfort zone, shake up my priorities, and try something new. Thank you for your support!

__

We're only up to 19 shootings this morning. If we keep that pace up we won't even crack 40! Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :confused:

-Rob

RevolverRob
08-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Day 15 - Inside Mordor - Went to get some takeout Chinese for lunch. As the wife and I were walking back to our apartment, a crack deal happened right in front/behind us at a little park. We just kept walking eyes forward and down, I gave my wife some very quiet instructions to make sure that I was between her and the deal and kept moving the right direction. This was one block from my apartment.

When we walked by the park on the way to the Chinese place my wife described it as, "A nice little park." There was one guy laying on a bench, but he was clean so I thought maybe he was someone on break from one of the stores in the shopping center we were going to. On the way back, I noticed one male who's attire was typical thug, he was in front of us, not paying any attention to us and walking. He stopped at the park fence and we walked past but as his client wandered up to do the deal. This is when I realized the park had at least three crackheads in it and what was going on. We just kept moving and nobody paid us any mind, if someone wants to do a crack deal - no problem, leave me out of it.

In the future we will take the longer way around to that side of the shopping center, because it goes through the less sketchy side of the neighborhood out onto a street lined with shops, foot traffic, and police. We could also have taken the slightly less direct route that goes through again a higher end side of the neighborhood and right past the shopping center security guard (armed), but didn't.

Fifteen days until I can file for my DL and submit my FOID paperwork. Sixty-ninety days until I receive my FOID. I think I'll prioritize taking my concealed carry course and do it soon, so the day my FOID arrives, I can submit my CC paperwork. Still looking at 120-180 days before I will be able to pack again.

-Rob

Shellback
08-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Pepper spray might not be a bad option until you get your FOID & CC, if it's legal there.

RevolverRob
08-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Pepper spray might not be a bad option until you get your FOID & CC, if it's legal there.

Well, I wasn't unarmed; I just wasn't armed with the full effective set of tools, so to speak.

I should look into more OC options though an excellent suggestion.

Don Gwinn
08-31-2014, 07:51 PM
OC is a good option. Its legality is hotly debated. It looks like Chicago doesn't bar it for adults over 18, but Cook County does. Locals seem convinced that there's an unwritten exemption for women, with cops choosing not to see their OC. I imagine that's probably the case for most "clean-cut" people, but CPD cops vary widely.

RevolverRob
08-31-2014, 11:17 PM
OC is a good option. Its legality is hotly debated. It looks like Chicago doesn't bar it for adults over 18, but Cook County does. Locals seem convinced that there's an unwritten exemption for women, with cops choosing not to see their OC. I imagine that's probably the case for most "clean-cut" people, but CPD cops vary widely.

Thanks Don. I'll chat with my attorney and friend on CPD about it. General consensus seems to be CPD tends to overlook most minor infractions for folks who are not starting trouble, but I like to stay on the right side of the regs whenever possible. My other concern is the wife has asthma and I'm concerned that if she hits herself with OC she might end up in worse trouble with an asthma attack.

-Rob

RevolverRob
09-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Day - Whatever this is - Uh...Four more days until day 30, so day 26!

Only 32 shootings Labor Day weekend - I thought that was quite good, considering there 70+ on 4th of July. I actually start my program soon (10-days until orientation begins) - So pretty soon, I'll be really thrown into the frenzied pace, but as it stands now is a nice steady state of progress. But enough about work (that's boring).

Let's talk about the University of Chicago - I am pretty much convinced UofC is actually the American Campus of Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - Here is a stolen promo photo -

http://i.imgur.com/Zigp3pz.jpg

Normally, I am convinced promo photos are staged, but seriously the campus looks like that and my campus-based office is on the top floor of a 110-year old building...

Apparently, I am not the only one that feels this way. The gag newspaper for the school feels similarly:

http://i.imgur.com/SM4e3XA.jpg?1

And this let's me know that even if I am surrounded by insane criminals, like Rahm Emmanuel and drug dealers, robbers, murders, etc...At least some people have a sense of humor here.
__

Not a lot to report otherwise - I recently picked up my keys to a million square foot museum with this in the lobby:

http://i.imgur.com/hP8DpbJ.jpg

That was my view at lunch this afternoon.

I came out of the museum the other day and it was raining, while I was waiting for my wife to pick me up, I took the opportunity to snap this pic from the south entrance of the museum - This is, I am told, not a zoo, despite being home to Da Bears.

http://i.imgur.com/Mz3dEtf.jpg

-Rob

SAWBONES
09-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Glad to see you made it to the Field Museum. Always loved those views as you first walk in.

pointfiveoh
09-12-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm pretty sure nothing could convince me to move to Chicago, but I'm really enjoying this behind the scenes tour. You should consider blogging your experience if you have the time. I'm getting some laughs from your spin on things.

Spr1
09-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Two words for Chicago..... Sullivan's Steakhouse....... The town has great steakhouses.

Don Gwinn
09-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Chicago.
http://abc7chicago.com/news/7-charged-in-cta-brown-line-machete-attack/301518/

Tamara
09-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Not a lot to report otherwise - I recently picked up my keys to a million square foot museum with this in the lobby:

One of my absolute favorite places in the universe; only a few hour's drive from where I'm sitting, but absolutely behind enemy lines.

Last time I went to the Field Museum w/Shootin' Buddy, we walked from there to the John Hancock building before deciding to catch a bus back to Hyde Park... My dogs were barkin', let me tell you. :D

Shellback
09-16-2014, 07:59 AM

http://i.imgur.com/hP8DpbJ.jpg

According to my 3 year old you are now quite possibly the coolest person he's ever heard of. "You mean he has dinosaurs at his work?! You really mean it?! Real dinosaurs? Whoa..."

RevolverRob
09-16-2014, 08:15 AM
According to my 3 year old you are now quite possibly the coolest person he's ever heard of. "You mean he has dinosaurs at his work?! You really mean it?! Real dinosaurs? Whoa..."

Hey, I aim to please. No seriously, I have three nephews aged 18-months to 4-years, talking to kids about fossils is something I thoroughly enjoy. I'm just a big kid anyways, so it's pretty easy to relate.

On another note, if someone finds themselves in the Chicago area and plans to stop by The Field Museum let me know. I'll be happy to walk through the museum and give anyone what limited personal insight I might have and answer their questions. I can't make any guarantees on availability to do this, but I will try to make it happen.

-Rob

RevolverRob
09-29-2014, 10:57 AM
This is me dealing with the State of Illinois - :mad:

This place is ridiculous. I have been trying to get a driver's license for two weeks and NO ONE can give me a straight answer on what paperwork I need and now it will be another month, because I apparently need a valid passport and I had to send off my passport to get renewed for an upcoming trip. Illinois is, as near as I can tell, the only god damned state in the Union that doesn't actually recognize a valid out of state driver's license as a valid form of identification to get another DL. AND to top this of to get a DL you have to take and pass a written driving test prior to them giving you a license. I've done that already in the State of Texas and I can drive here on a damn State of Texas DL.

Today was more bullshit, I went to three offices downtown and got the run around and the worst service of my life at all of them. If I wasn't hell bent on getting an Illinois carry permit, I might just say screw it. Which reminds me, I might have to anyways, because it turns out the state of Illinois is very actively violating my civil rights, right now. Turns out that because my apartment building is owned by a university, I am not allowed to have a 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Specifically, the concealed carry law is written such that if I have a license and a gun, I would be in violation of the law in my own domicile, because the law specifically forbids concealed carry on university property. Combined this with questionable grey-area FOID and I am supremely pissed off. At this point, I'm going to get into contact with ISRA and SAF and chat with their legal teams about it.

In short - don't move to Illinois. Frankly, I knew it was going to be a hassle, but this is ludicrous.

-Rob

RoyGBiv
09-29-2014, 11:12 AM
to get a DL you have to take and pass a written driving test prior to them giving you a license.

This is pretty normal everywhere. Don't get too spun up about it.
Even when I moved to NC for the second time I had to take the written test again, even though I'd already held a NC DL.

The rest? Well... You have my sympathies.

JM Campbell
09-29-2014, 02:01 PM
This is me dealing with the State of Illinois - :mad:

This place is ridiculous. I have been trying to get a driver's license for two weeks and NO ONE can give me a straight answer on what paperwork I need and now it will be another month, because I apparently need a valid passport and I had to send off my passport to get renewed for an upcoming trip. Illinois is, as near as I can tell, the only god damned state in the Union that doesn't actually recognize a valid out of state driver's license as a valid form of identification to get another DL. AND to top this of to get a DL you have to take and pass a written driving test prior to them giving you a license. I've done that already in the State of Texas and I can drive here on a damn State of Texas DL.

Today was more bullshit, I went to three offices downtown and got the run around and the worst service of my life at all of them. If I wasn't hell bent on getting an Illinois carry permit, I might just say screw it. Which reminds me, I might have to anyways, because it turns out the state of Illinois is very actively violating my civil rights, right now. Turns out that because my apartment building is owned by a university, I am not allowed to have a 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Specifically, the concealed carry law is written such that if I have a license and a gun, I would be in violation of the law in my own domicile, because the law specifically forbids concealed carry on university property. Combined this with questionable grey-area FOID and I am supremely pissed off. At this point, I'm going to get into contact with ISRA and SAF and chat with their legal teams about it.

In short - don't move to Illinois. Frankly, I knew it was going to be a hassle, but this is ludicrous.

-Rob

Don't worry, Texas will welcome you home when your prison term is over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

SAWBONES
09-29-2014, 05:15 PM

Lived there for nearly twenty years, but it was a long time ago, and of course there was no CCW provision back then (not that we even knew or thought about CCW that long ago, in the '50s-'60s).

Sorry to hear how bad it's gotten to live there now, and just glad I don't have to go back any more.
Best of luck.

Drang
10-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Thought about you yesterday, Rob. On my way to work Tony Bennett was betting me my bottom dollar I'd lose my blues in Chicago, and I yelled "I'll take that bet!" :p
Good thing my wife wasn't there to yell at me for yelling at the radio. (Like she never does that...)

rob_s
10-02-2014, 03:57 PM
So how much of this is self-induced or realized?

You're living in student housing, it sounds like. Pretty typical, as I recall, to have restrictions on college campuses.

In reading through this, you haven't actually had any violent personal encounters, other than someone else's car getting their (probably aftermarket) rims stolen and witnessing a few drug deals. While their may have been a lot of murders, none of them happened to you or anyone like you, right?

I'm not saying I'd move to Chicago, but it's frankly the cold that would keep me from it more than anything else. Well, that and the fact that I like recreational shooting. I think that most people's perceived affronts on their liberty are largely that, perceived.

RevolverRob
10-02-2014, 05:09 PM
So how much of this is self-induced or realized?

You're living in student housing, it sounds like. Pretty typical, as I recall, to have restrictions on college campuses.

In reading through this, you haven't actually had any violent personal encounters, other than someone else's car getting their (probably aftermarket) rims stolen and witnessing a few drug deals. While their may have been a lot of murders, none of them happened to you or anyone like you, right?

I'm not saying I'd move to Chicago, but it's frankly the cold that would keep me from it more than anything else. Well, that and the fact that I like recreational shooting. I think that most people's perceived affronts on their liberty are largely that, perceived.

So, I'm not going to go into great length about my living arrangements, but you expect a standard set of restrictions on college campuses, yes. Those are institutional guidelines set forth and are constitutional, even law preventing carry on a campus is legal (although questionable). That isn't what I am talking about, I am talking about state law that prevents possession of a firearm inside of a home. Historically, state laws restricting ownership in places where students live (i.e., dorms, which I do not live in) are constitutional rights violations and have been overturned under judicial review. That's this particular case, whether institutional guidelines exist or not are secondary, they can only carry the weight of a certain subsection of the civil law. For instance if your landlord bans firearms and you sign a lease to that effect, they have the right to evict you for violating the lease contract and the right to sue you for damages (as dictated in the terms of the lease), but it's not a crime. If a state law makes it illegal for you to own a firearm in your home, because the building is owned by a university, that is a civil rights violation. Subtle, but important difference here and worth drawing the distinction.

Violent crime is decidedly not randomly distributed in Chicago. I could predict with startling accuracy places with the highest likelihood of violent criminal activity to occur. That doesn't ignore the random statistical outliers that exist and that we know exist. In fact if you look at the overall trends in use of a firearm in defensive situations, we know it's a statistical anomaly with minimal likelihood of occurring and yet we seek to prepare for it. Removing the most effective tool in my toolbox to deal with those problems is disconcerting. Secondarily, being unarmed in the state of Illinois is a slap in the face. It's a slap in the face, because this state has worked hard to do exactly what the 2nd Amendment is meant to prevent, allow oppressive government to dictate the arms and thus will of the people. To me, owning and carrying a firearm is this state is as, if not more, important than owning one in a "free" state. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I would carry AT someone here, I'll go concealed, but to exercise your rights, even if you have to jump through the hoops and fight to eliminate those hoops is extremely important to the process of affirming that people care about their constitutional rights here. I might be in the minority, I don't care, I will make sure that I exercise my rights lest I lose them.

-Rob

superr.stu
10-02-2014, 08:58 PM
If you need temporary escape (from the city, not state) Champaign is only 2 hours south.

Don Gwinn
10-02-2014, 10:27 PM
The CCL law is new and the code is still full of bugs. I can give you a couple of people to talk to, especially if you think you might be willing to be a plaintiff one of these days.

RevolverRob
01-19-2015, 01:20 AM
It has been awhile since I updated this thread! First the best news. After several months of arguing with the AG, university, and my attorney, I am legally cleared to bring my guns to IL. The long and short of it, is that the state considers me a nonresident of a transient nature, as a student...which means I have to comply with all laws regarding nonresident possession of firearms. Which also means, I cannot purchase firearms in IL. Fine with me, I'd rather not give this state additional tax revenue anyways. But let's forget all that and get back to what this thread is about...

Where we last left our story - Fall were declared...and this view came from outside my office on campus.

http://i.imgur.com/Yb7l3vM.jpg

Fall is a time, when a young man's thoughts turn to the ankle bones of extinct Miocene-aged rhinos...of particular interest, because I was taking a course my PhD supervisors were co-teaching on Mammalian Evolutionary Biology.

http://i.imgur.com/15LyUaq.jpg

You can, of course, find all kinds of fascinating things a million square-foot museum...like a section of the Book of the Dead...for a guy like me, who has watched Brendan Fraiser's rendention of The Mummy, about a thousand times...this was damn cool. Seeing another big section in the Louvre was double amazing...realizing you had seen both sections within a month of each other? Mind blowing...

http://i.imgur.com/O4eDInZ.jpg

To make sure people still have a sense of humor. A new statue commerating Chucky D (Darwin) was made and dedicated. The dedication speech was given by James Watson (of Watson amd Crick fame...you know the dudes who discovered the struxture of DNA). Watson is a UofC alum, and kind of an all around racist prick...but whatever...

http://i.imgur.com/xBXXqhl.jpg

Charles Darwin or Gandalf the Grey? You decide.

Fall transitioning to winter is an important time in a young paleontologist's life. For you see, in the fall, comes a big annual meeting of paleo geeks from around the world. And in 2014, the meeting was held in Berlin, Germany. Which of course means...international extraveganza!!! I flew first to London to collect some data on turtles...while I was there I met up with my travel companion/best frind who is working there...we had some fun...

http://i.imgur.com/yyzQXTG.jpg

This is a type specimen of a Galapagos tortoise...collected by Darwin himself and below, his statue at the London Museum of Natural History. We were behind the scenes most of the time and it was amazing.

http://i.imgur.com/0CtSHaC.jpg

Then we traveled to Paris...

RevolverRob
01-19-2015, 01:34 AM
Paris was a real adventure. I fell in love in about fifteen minutes on a Sunday morning with all of France and especially Paris. We were not here long and we didn't come to really work. Just to be tourists...

We hopped on a tour bus and headed downtown towards the Arc, along the way we passed a Citreon shop and being a car geek, I had to pop-in...

http://i.imgur.com/OaH4zV9.jpg

Yea, that's cool. A European touring car...

We wound our way to the French Military History Museum and Napoleon's Tomb...where they have pretty guns...

http://i.imgur.com/XlVG4zj.jpg

Did I mention I love The Mummy?

http://i.imgur.com/GjLkfjd.jpg

They still teach history in France, and they do it old school with the kids...this was the same hall with the suits of armor for Kings of Britain and France on display. He was telling a fabulous story about Henry the IV.

http://i.imgur.com/hKGyFOD.jpg

The Frenchman himself....

http://i.imgur.com/FF8MXnO.jpg

After paying our respects we headed for the French Pantheon...along the way thought, I snapped this pic for Geordie

http://i.imgur.com/Xrjb6Bs.jpg

At the Pantheon, there are a lot of folks to see, but there was one in particular, I wanted to see...it seems appropriate to go to Paris to see a woman...

http://i.imgur.com/ywe4OtN.jpg

We left Paris for Berlin the next day. But before we went to Berlin...we walked the Louvre...

I only have a few pictures from Berlin, because the meeting was very busy, I was sick for about half of it, and honestly, Berlin is an ugly damn city....but those will have to wait until later...it is bed time for now! Louvre, Berlin, and more to come.

-Rob

LittleLebowski
01-19-2015, 08:47 AM
Thank you so much for sharing, RR. Enjoying it

RoyGBiv
01-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Definitely Gandalf.

I always thought that if you obtained an in state drivers license and intended to stay a while, that was sufficient to establish residency?

RevolverRob
01-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Definitely Gandalf.

I always thought that if you obtained an in state drivers license and intended to stay a while, that was sufficient to establish residency?

Two words - income taxes...they consider me a nonresident student for tax purposes. Secondly, the DL, IL has a complicated process for obtaining a DL. This all got started when the head of my DL office declined to allow me to apply for my DL, because the supporting documents I have include stipend paystubs as a student. That is when I was informed that the DL office considers students to be nonresidents. And this is supported by state legislation.

After much back and forth, the long and short is. I can eventually become a resident of IL, but will involve a tax status change, and it will come through being the spouse of an IL resident. Right now, because my wife moved here as the spouse of a student, she also does not have to become a resident, but she can become one more easily than I can. If we do become residents it will allow them to tax property and holdings owned in Texas, because they are owned by an IL resident. In addition it will require a shift in my vehicle registration, which will allow them to charge me back sales tax on a vehicle purchased in another state (seriously).

So, state law says I do not have to become a resident and residency has significant tax complications. That combined with a lame concealed carry law, where virtually every single place is off limits in th city of Chicago (even if I could carry, it would only be on the sidewalk)...that combined with the new CC law that does allow nonresident CCers to car carry - is sufficient for my current needs. The state is also being sued for its non-resident CC law. We will see if they change significantly. Of course I expect the CC policies to change in about 4.25 years, three months before I leave forever.

-Rob

RoyGBiv
01-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Two words - income taxes...they consider me a nonresident student for tax purposes. Secondly, the DL, IL has a complicated process for obtaining a DL. This all got started when the head of my DL office declined to allow me to apply for my DL, because the supporting documents I have include stipend paystubs as a student. That is when I was informed that the DL office considers students to be nonresidents. And this is supported by state legislation.

After much back and forth, the long and short is. I can eventually become a resident of IL, but will involve a tax status change, and it will come through being the spouse of an IL resident. Right now, because my wife moved here as the spouse of a student, she also does not have to become a resident, but she can become one more easily than I can. If we do become residents it will allow them to tax property and holdings owned in Texas, because they are owned by an IL resident. In addition it will require a shift in my vehicle registration, which will allow them to charge me back sales tax on a vehicle purchased in another state (seriously).

So, state law says I do not have to become a resident and residency has significant tax complications. That combined with a lame concealed carry law, where virtually every single place is off limits in th city of Chicago (even if I could carry, it would only be on the sidewalk)...that combined with the new CC law that does allow nonresident CCers to car carry - is sufficient for my current needs. The state is also being sued for its non-resident CC law. We will see if they change significantly. Of course I expect the CC policies to change in about 4.25 years, three months before I leave forever.

-Rob
Thanks for the explanation. Pretty fracked up.
The part about taxing vehicles that are brought in to the state is not unusual, though.

My wife would love to live in Chicago. Maybe with her next husband. :p
Sounds like the "job" is worth the sacrifice so far. Stay lucky!