PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

blues
03-15-2021, 12:55 PM
The Everett Hitch and Virgil Cole novels are some of the best westerns ever.

Agreed. Even a good movie.

Bigguy
03-15-2021, 02:26 PM
Enigma: Road to Breaking - Book Two
5/5

This is the second book in the series. I read and enjoyed the first book, but this one is even better. I’m talking “Gone With The Wind,” good. I’d certainly recommend reading the first book, but this one will stand alone if you haven’t.
The title comes from a Native American story about the end of the world. The setting is the Antebellum Virginia of 1860. Nathan inherits his father’s wealthy plantation and Senate seat, but he is morally opposed to slavery. He’s realistic and knows that change will be slow. He has to navigate a narrow path between what is morally correct and what is attainable. To make things more complicated, a woman comes into his life.
These are well developed characters the reader will come to care for. We, as readers, know of the coming storm. It’s interesting to watch the events and attitudes that lead up to it. Clearly a “Breaking” is coming. I’ll have to read the coming books as I cross my fingers that Tom and Adilida as well as Nathan and Evelin will find their way back together. I suspect there will be several more books that will take us to, through, and past Civil war. I’ll want to read them all.

Coyotesfan97
03-15-2021, 04:21 PM
Enigma: Road to Breaking - Book Two
5/5

This is the second book in the series. I read and enjoyed the first book, but this one is even better. I’m talking “Gone With The Wind,” good. I’d certainly recommend reading the first book, but this one will stand alone if you haven’t.
The title comes from a Native American story about the end of the world. The setting is the Antebellum Virginia of 1860. Nathan inherits his father’s wealthy plantation and Senate seat, but he is morally opposed to slavery. He’s realistic and knows that change will be slow. He has to navigate a narrow path between what is morally correct and what is attainable. To make things more complicated, a woman comes into his life.
These are well developed characters the reader will come to care for. We, as readers, know of the coming storm. It’s interesting to watch the events and attitudes that lead up to it. Clearly a “Breaking” is coming. I’ll have to read the coming books as I cross my fingers that Tom and Adilida as well as Nathan and Evelin will find their way back together. I suspect there will be several more books that will take us to, through, and past Civil war. I’ll want to read them all.

I just bought 1 and 2. They’ll join the queue of books on my Kindle which is growing yet again.

Stephanie B
03-15-2021, 04:52 PM
Aging of characters is a problem all series fiction authors can run into.
Matt Helm was the first I noticed. A WW II veteran getting back into international intrigue and adventure in 1960 was plausible. It was a lot less likely in 1975 and Hamilton just quit mentioning where Helm had gotten his experience as the senior agent still able to duke it out with younger guys and get the girl.

On the other hand, J.D. Robb has crammed 51+ cases into three or four timeline years of ...In Death stories.

Sue Grafton dealt with chronology by setting the "alphabet series" in the 1980s.

Most SF writers apply longevity treatments. Not all, Kimball Kinnison was slowing down a bit as Kit and the girls took over the heavy lifting, as was Dominic Flandry at age 60.
Mike Hammer was another one who was trading punches into his 90s. The character was a NYPD sergeant, back when it took a lot of years to get to that level, who enlisted in the Marines, fought at Guadalcanal and then got out and hung up his shingle.

Grafton did a wise thing that by keeping her series in the 1980s. But her last book or two had her carrying a gun that wasn't available in the 1980s and doing a NCIC check (ditto).

Glenn E. Meyer
03-16-2021, 10:23 AM
How old do you think Det. Steve Carella would have been if he kept aging in McBain's 87th Precinct series?

He kept changing wars that he fought in. Spenser went to fight bad guys with a lever action once, geezer. I'm getting a little saturated with the genius, fighting for good PI. Also, the flawed psycho or slightly inferior side kick.

Spenser had Hawk, Elvis Cole had Joe Pike, Alex Delaware and Milo. Now, Stone Barrington had Dino but the latter was more equal in comedy and not such an 'off' one as the others.

Lucas Davenport is really starting to show signs of aging, esp. after he managed to get himself shot.

JSGlock34
03-16-2021, 10:17 PM
Donald Westlake (writing as Richard Stark) very much wrapped up the Parker series after 16 books with 1974's excellent Butcher's Moon, but revived the character in 1997 for another eight novels starting with the fittingly named Comeback.

I reread the Parker books from time to time, but when I do I stop at Butcher's Moon, and I don't tend to recommend the books that follow. I may be an outlier there, as the revival was popular, and 2000's Flashfire was even adapted into the (mediocre) 2013 film Parker starring Jason Statham. But Parker belongs to an earlier time, and I can't picture him in a world with smartphones.

When Darwyn Cooke adapted the Parker books into graphic novels, he left them in the original era, and that was the right choice. And those graphic novels are fantastic.

Jim Watson
03-16-2021, 10:48 PM
Also, the flawed psycho or slightly inferior side kick..

Even as a kid, I liked Conan (Howard, not Schwarzenegger) because he didn't have a trusty sidekick or a magic sword, etc.

Cory
03-17-2021, 05:35 AM
WEB Griffin's Badge of Honor series was incredibly jarring when it jumped from the 70s to post 9/11 era. Most of the characters stayed the same age, it was just like boom same story but now its modern.

I'm re-reading the Corps series by him now. It'll be my 3rd or 4th read of the 10 book series.

Dave Williams
03-17-2021, 05:56 AM
WEB Griffin's Badge of Honor series was incredibly jarring when it jumped from the 70s to post 9/11 era. Most of the characters stayed the same age, it was just like boom same story but now its modern.

I'm re-reading the Corps series by him now. It'll be my 3rd or 4th read of the 10 book series.

I had to stop Badge of Honor due to that, it was ridiculous. I loved the Corps and the Army series, read them both at least twice. Evelyn Waugh's Sword of Honour series mentioned a few pages ago reminded me of Griffin a bit, you might enjoy it.

Glenn E. Meyer
03-17-2021, 10:32 AM
Even as a kid, I liked Conan (Howard, not Schwarzenegger) because he didn't have a trusty sidekick or a magic sword, etc.

I liked for sword swinging the Elric of Melnibone books by Michael Moorcock. Stormbringer was quite the sword but don't trust it. It didn't work out for Elric or his sidekick Moonglum. I met Moorcock once. He moved from England to Bastrop, TX and did a reading at the local Barnes and Noble. One of my students baby sat his bets. Interesting guy.

For a new read on recommendation here - Jack Carr's James Recce books. Works for me.

Casual Friday
03-17-2021, 12:27 PM
I've been rereading Tom Clancy (https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Clancy/e/B000APF4T2?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_15&qid=1616001478&sr=8-15) and am currently on The Cardinal of the Kremlin (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QEAQPI/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i3). I'm really enjoying revisiting them after so many years, they were good when I was a teenager but as a 40 year old I feel like I can truly appreciate just how well they were written and how good he was at character development and story telling.

I try to read a fiction novel and nonfiction at the same time and just started Beirut Rules (https://www.amazon.com/Beirut-Rules-Station-Hezbollahs-Against-ebook/dp/B01IAUG2QW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=beirut+rules&qid=1616001878&s=digital-text&sr=1-1) which was recommended by author Jack Carr in his recommended reading monthly list. I'm not far into it yet but I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

JSGlock34
03-17-2021, 05:48 PM

Completely agree; Badge of Honor is a mess after The Assassins.

revchuck38
03-17-2021, 06:15 PM

I enjoyed the Corps series, as well as the Secret Honor series set in Argentina and the Brotherhood of War.

holmes168
03-17-2021, 07:47 PM
Reading City of Angels - as I’ve been hitting the Bosch books heavy this year.

One thing I’ve noticed- J. Edgar is a much better detective on the Amazon show. Seems like he and Harry don’t have much of a relationship in the books.

The books are a solid way to spend some time.

Also- reading Permanent Record- Snowden’s recent autobiography (https://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Record-Edward-Snowden-ebook/dp/B07STQPGH6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1A8IA063ZUT88&dchild=1&keywords=permanent+record+edward+snowden&qid=1616198069&s=books&sprefix=Permanen%2Cstripbooks%2C162&sr=1-1). I am of the opinion- he should get a parade down the center of DC. So far the book has been really good.

Stephanie B
03-18-2021, 10:37 AM
In the Waves (https://ww.amazon.com/Waves-Quest-Solve-Mystery-Submarine/dp/1524744158/) by Rachel Lance, which is about solving the mystery of what happened to the crew of the HL Hunley.

If you have no interest in all of that, you should check out the book and read Chapter 5, "Anatomy of an Explosion", which is about the effects of blast shock waves on people. It's not pretty.

Coyotesfan97
03-18-2021, 01:55 PM
In the Waves (https://ww.amazon.com/Waves-Quest-Solve-Mystery-Submarine/dp/1524744158/) by Rachel Lance, which is about solving the mystery of what happened to the crew of the HL Hunley.

If you have no interest in all of that, you should check out the book and read Chapter 5, "Anatomy of an Explosion", which is about the effects of blast shock waves on people. It's not pretty.

It’s in the queue. This is an expensive thread!:D

Stephanie B
03-18-2021, 08:57 PM
It’s in the queue. This is an expensive thread!:D

“Public library”— just saying.

Coyotesfan97
03-18-2021, 11:24 PM

Truth

BN
03-19-2021, 07:10 AM

That's where I get all my books now. When I was working and driving around, I would stop at yard sales and pay 25 or 50 cents for books. I like to read and I'm cheap. :)

Stephanie B
03-19-2021, 08:00 AM
Abe Books (https://www.abebooks.com/) is a decent place to find used books for a few bucks apiece. If it's a book that I think that I may want to hold onto, I'll go there. I bought copies of Close Quarters and Chickenhawk there, based on this thread.

I've got a shirttail relative who's an Apache driver. I asked him if he had read Chickenhawk (https://www.amazon.com/Chickenhawk-Robert-Mason-ebook/dp/B0031Y9DCS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=chickenhawk&qid=1616197901&sr=8-1). He said he hadn't, but that he had heard other pilots say that it was good. So I sent him a copy. I heard from him last week; he thinks it's a great book.

Uncle_Jed
03-19-2021, 10:37 AM
Red Platoon: A True Story of American Valor by Clinton Romesha (https://www.amazon.com/Red-Platoon-Story-American-Valor-ebook/dp/B0141ZP1XK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Red+Platoon%3A+A+True+Story+of+American+V alor&qid=1616198397&sr=8-1)

Medal of Honor recipient Clinton Romesha gives a first-hand account of the battle for American Combat Outpost ("COP") Keating near the town of Kamdesh in Nuristan Province in eastern Afghanistan.

Cecil Burch
03-19-2021, 11:15 AM
I wish they would just stop with the Robert Parker continuations. The Everett Hitch and Virgil Cole novels are some of the best westerns ever. Robert Knott took over the series and each one has been a little bit diminished. The latest, Bucksin was a fucking train wreck. I have no idea what they were thinking letting that turd hit print. It doesn't look like there is another novel in the series scheduled, so that may be the unfortunate end.

I could not agree more. I loved Parker's books about Hitch and Cole. I read all the follow ups out of love of those characters, but every one of Knott's books is trash. They either rehash every single same thing, or become so implausible and the characters do unrecognizable things.

It is a damn shame the movie was not a hit. Or that it had come out a few years later, because they would make really good candidates for Netflix movies. Like one every year or so.

MGW
03-19-2021, 11:32 AM
I'm currently reading "12 Rules for Life" by Jordan Peterson (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FPGY5T0?ref_=dbs_m_mng_rwt_calw_tkin_0&storeType=ebooks). It is the most thought-provoking and introspective book I have read in a very long time.

DDTSGM
03-19-2021, 01:55 PM
Abe Books (https://www.abebooks.com/) is a decent place to find used books for a few bucks apiece. If it's a book that I think that I may want to hold onto, I'll go there. I bought copies of Close Quarters and Chickenhawk there, based on this thread.

I've got a shirttail relative who's an Apache driver. I asked him if he had read Chickenhawk. He said he hadn't, but that he had heard other pilots say that it was good. So I sent him a copy. I heard from him last week; he thinks it's a great book.

I've never gone wrong with a purchase from Abe Books - always quick shipping and condition is generally as described or better.

I recently down-sized my book collection (more of an amassing than collection) and Chickenhawk was one of the few hardbacks I retained. I've reread it numerous times. On the other hand, Chickenhawk - Back in the World was not moving in the least.

Coyotesfan97
03-19-2021, 05:58 PM

I've got a shirttail relative who's an Apache driver. I asked him if he had read Chickenhawk. He said he hadn't, but that he had heard other pilots say that it was good. So I sent him a copy. I heard from him last week; he thinks it's a great book.

That’s a bookmark thank you!:)

LittleLebowski
03-19-2021, 06:55 PM
Also- reading Permanent Record- Snowden’s recent autobiography (https://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Record-Edward-Snowden-ebook/dp/B07STQPGH6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1A8IA063ZUT88&dchild=1&keywords=permanent+record+edward+snowden&qid=1616198069&s=books&sprefix=Permanen%2Cstripbooks%2C162&sr=1-1). I am of the opinion- he should get a parade down the center of DC. So far the book has been really good.

Grabbing that.

rob_s
03-19-2021, 07:10 PM
Probably not the kind of thing we’re generally talking about in this thread, but I got Death By Meeting (https://www.amazon.com/Death-Meeting-Leadership-Solving-Business/dp/0787968056) yesterday and between yesterday evening and this morning finished the whole thing.

Highly recommend.

peterb
03-19-2021, 08:32 PM
Any recommendations for a book about the battle of Dien Bien Phu? All the options I’ve seen have decent reviews, and I’ll probably only read one.

Coyotesfan97
03-19-2021, 09:13 PM
Any recommendations for a book about the battle of Dien Bien Phu? All the options I’ve seen have decent reviews, and I’ll probably only read one.

Hell in a Very Small Place by Bernard Fall

Lon
03-19-2021, 11:41 PM

Yep. Read the first one after the jump and stopped there.

The Corps was my favorite. I loved almost all the books he wrote by himself. Haven’t cared as much for the ones he co-authored w his son.

Cory
03-20-2021, 06:46 AM
Yep. Read the first one after the jump and stopped there.

The Corps was my favorite. I loved almost all the books he wrote by himself. Haven’t cared as much for the ones he co-authored w his son.

The Corps is my favorite as well. Such a huge cast of intertwined characters and so many great moments.

I haven't read too much of his other stuff. I did read the entire badge of honor series, but I probably wont read it again.

Gun Mutt
03-20-2021, 11:32 AM
I wish they would just stop with the Robert Parker continuations.The Everett Hitch and Virgil Cole novels are some of the best westerns ever. Robert Knott took over the series and each one has been a little bit diminished. The latest, Bucksin was a fucking train wreck. I have no idea what they were thinking letting that turd hit print. It doesn't look like there is another novel in the series scheduled, so that may be the unfortunate end.

Stop it with all authors and their signature characters! FFS, they couldn't even write a decent Mack Bolan book after Pendleton, thank God no one tried to finish up Travis McGee. When an author dies and another author finishes their last book, I might give it a try, but I seem to recall that I've been disappointed by most, if not all, of them.

When Parker (and I'm a lifelong fanboy/Spenser wannabe) finished Chandler's final novel, I was kinda meh about it, but at least I felt like I'd completed something. My first disappointment with Parker came with his very next Spenser novel that ended the exact same way, just with different names for the characters.

I saw Parker interviewed when the Chandler book was released and he was asked who he'd like to finish his last Spenser novel under the same circumstances. Without hesitation, he enthusiastically replies, "Oh, Elmore Leonard!" And his estate picked this fucking Atkins parasite.

Stephanie B
03-20-2021, 11:39 AM
Probably not the kind of thing we’re generally talking about in this thread, but I got Death By Meeting (https://www.amazon.com/Death-Meeting-Leadership-Solving-Business/dp/0787968056) yesterday and between yesterday evening and this morning finished the whole thing.

Highly recommend.

That title brings to mind the OSS's Simple Sabotage Field Manual (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26184). Pages 28-30 have information on how to gum up meetings and organizations. I've seen this in operation when it was probably not the intent of the people doing it.

Stephanie B
03-20-2021, 12:34 PM
Stop it with all authors and their signature characters! FFS, they couldn't even write a decent Mack Bolan book after Pendleton, thank God no one tried to finish up Travis McGee. When an author dies and another author finishes their last book, I might give it a try, but I seem to recall that I've been disappointed by most, if not all, of them.

I read, years ago, that the heirs of John D. MacDonald were adamant that nobody was to continue on with Travis McGee.

luckyman
03-20-2021, 01:12 PM
I read, years ago, that the heirs of John D. MacDonald were adamant that nobody was to continue on with Travis McGee.

In my twenties I was a complete Travis McGee addict. I’ve probably read every one of those books at least 5 times. Those books probably did a lot to shape my world view.

BehindBlueI's
03-20-2021, 05:40 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Far-Feet-Will-Carry-Extraordinary/dp/1602392366

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me. Someone gifted me the 1950's copy they had, and I just found out there's a reprint from 2008 so it's still easily available. The basics are a German POW escapes a Russian forced labor camp and over roughly 3 years escapes Siberia. On Amazon it's billed as similar to "Unbroken" but unless the reprint is significantly different, I don't see the connection other than being POWs. Unbroken is a much more uplifting story. I don't want to say too much more for spoiler reasons, but it's not Unbroken.

It is, however, a good story and one of those "the best of people in bad situations/the worst of people in bad situations" dichotomies over and over. There's a host of characters (real people, mind you) that are interesting and sympathetic. It's not exactly graphic, but the level of detail gives you a good idea of the hurdles and distances involved. It's one of those stories that would be dismissed as implausible were it to be fiction.

So, recommended.

whomever
03-20-2021, 07:02 PM
That title brings to mind the OSS's Simple Sabotage Field Manual (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26184). Pages 28-30 have information on how to gum up meetings and organizations. I've seen this in operation when it was probably not the intent of the people doing it.

If those are the pages I'm thinking of, I had them framed on my office wall. They could be the power point slides for 'Bureaucracy 101'.

Coyotesfan97
03-20-2021, 07:47 PM

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me. Someone gifted me the 1950's copy they had, and I just found out there's a reprint from 2008 so it's still easily available. The basics are a German POW escapes a Russian forced labor camp and over roughly 3 years escapes Siberia. On Amazon it's billed as similar to "Unbroken" but unless the reprint is significantly different, I don't see the connection other than being POWs. Unbroken is a much more uplifting story. I don't want to say too much more for spoiler reasons, but it's not Unbroken.

It is, however, a good story and one of those "the best of people in bad situations/the worst of people in bad situations" dichotomies over and over. There's a host of characters (real people, mind you) that are interesting and sympathetic. It's not exactly graphic, but the level of detail gives you a good idea of the hurdles and distances involved. It's one of those stories that would be dismissed as implausible were it to be fiction.

So, recommended.

Stephanie posted about Abe Books. They got multiple copies.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30864447870&searchurl=sortby%3D17%26tn%3DAs%2Bfar%2Bas%2Bmy%2B feet&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

Lon
03-21-2021, 04:18 PM
The Corps is my favorite as well. Such a huge cast of intertwined characters and so many great moments.

I haven't read too much of his other stuff. I did read the entire badge of honor series, but I probably wont read it again.

The series that follows the army (starting with The Lieutenants) is also very good.

DDTSGM
03-21-2021, 11:30 PM
The series that follows the army (starting with The Lieutenants) is also very good.

Brotherhood of War - I read them all, kind of jokingly refer to them as Harlequin Warstories.

The thing I liked about WEB's book is the kind of dance he did with actual history. Especially anything concerning Dugout Doug.

Stephanie B
03-22-2021, 10:42 AM

Unfortunately, it is probably fiction (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_Rost#Doubts_of_the_authenticity_of_Rost' s_claims).

holmes168
03-22-2021, 03:06 PM
Started the book - American Kingpin today about the Silk Road (https://www.amazon.com/American-Kingpin-Criminal-Mastermind-Behind-ebook/dp/B01L8C4WBG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2OOG15BUAVW4C&dchild=1&keywords=american+kingpin&qid=1618071088&sprefix=american+kingpin%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-1). So far- I’ve gotten through Ross Ulbricht getting the idea and setting everything up. Pretty excellent book- Ulbricht appeals to my Libertarian bent for sure. Snowden, now Silk Road, who knows what’s next!

BehindBlueI's
03-22-2021, 09:55 PM
Unfortunately, it is probably fiction (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_Rost#Doubts_of_the_authenticity_of_Rost' s_claims).

Eh, well that sucks. Fooled me.

Coyotesfan97
03-23-2021, 01:41 PM

Oh well guess I’ll read it in that vein.

spyderco monkey
03-23-2021, 09:45 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51kWCi08LOL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Elon-Musk-SpaceX-Fantastic-Future-ebook/dp/B00KVI76ZS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=elon+musk+tesla&qid=1618071363&sr=8-1

Enjoyable and fascinating biography on Musk and specifically SpaceX / Tesla.

Favorite part was how SpaceX radically lowered the cost of rockets through one simple trick...in house manufacturing. While ULA relied on 1200 different contractors - each part resulting in its own padded profit margin - SpaceX made their own parts and essentially got them at cost.

So for example they were able to make their own $120k 'Space Actuator' (essentially a ruggedized garage door opener) for $3900. Rather then spending $100k on a 'Space Radio' from the leasing contractor they just made their own radio in house for $5k. Multi million dollar 'space computer' replaced with under $10k in off the shelf computers...on and on.

Stephanie B
04-01-2021, 10:20 AM
The Ravine: A Family, a Photograph, a Holocaust Massacre Revealed by Wendy Lower (https://www.amazon.com/Ravine-Photograph-Holocaust-Massacre-Revealed/dp/0544828690/).

Lower came across a photograph of a Jewish woman in the Ukraine at the moment that the German and Ukrianian killers murdered her. She set to learn everythng she could about the location of the killings, the people who did it and the people who were murdered.

This is the photo:

The book has the feel of a much shorter article that was expanded into a book. It has a lot of descriptions about what the author did, the efforts she took to find the site and the people involved. It's a modification of the old saw about reporting to be: "Who, What, When, Where, How, Why, Me, Me, Me."

The book has a sort of happy ending, in that a Soviet KGB major investigated the case in the mid-1980s and determined the identities of the three Ukrainians who participated. A woman who had been a girl at the time had been hiding in the trees, witnessed the executions and testified. One was deemed to be a juvenile at the time (age 17), so he was sent to a forced-labor camp. The two adults were shot. After Ukraine become independent, the case was re-examined and the verdicts left undisturbed.

The Ukrainians who organized and led the local forces supporting the genocide were mainly identified by SMERSH after the war and hung.

The Germans involved were living in West Germany and, despite being denounced to the police by one of the Germans who was remorseful. Those perps were given a "catch and release" treatment.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-01-2021, 02:18 PM

Techno Chinese-USA war - not realistic at all and full of plot holes. If you want to read it, get it from the library.

TNK
04-01-2021, 02:34 PM
The Territorial Imperative (1966) by Robert Ardrey. (https://www.amazon.com/Territorial-Imperative-Personal-Inquiry-Property-ebook/dp/B00KGJZELK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1BCS2Q4Y0F7AD&dchild=1&keywords=territorial+imperative&qid=1618071172&sprefix=territorial+I%27m%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-1)

BehindBlueI's
04-04-2021, 04:15 PM
"The Long Earth"

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Earth-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0062068687

The setup for the book is there is (apparently) infinite iterations of Earth and with a simple device you can learn to hop between them. Each Earth is very slightly different, it's history being not quite the same, and the further you go the less like your Earth things get. The Earths are labeled "East" and "West" just as a means to keep track. You can step one east or one west at a time. Most people get nauseated by the process and have to wait a bit before they can step again. You also don't move physically or in time. If you step into solid matter, you won't step at all. If you step into the air, you'll fall when you arrive. If there are still dinosaurs, it's because that's the path that Earth took. You can move almost anything with you while stepping with the exception of elemental iron or it's metal alloys. The iron dissolved in your blood is fine, an axe head is not. It just stays in the Earth it was mined at.

Only our Earth has humans.

It's an interesting story but it's also an interesting take on what happens when access to many commodities are now almost limitless. There's more gold then people can mine. There's more trees than people can cut. There's more farm land than people can farm...and nobody actually *has* to farm if they go far enough out because you can successfully keep a hunter/gatherer society.

It's a 5 book series, all of which are out. I'll probably pick up the 2nd book at some point, but I've got a few others I want to catch up on first.

0ddl0t
04-06-2021, 06:54 PM
Started the book - American Kingpin today about the Silk Road (https://www.amazon.com/American-Kingpin-Criminal-Mastermind-Behind-ebook/dp/B01L8C4WBG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2OOG15BUAVW4C&dchild=1&keywords=american+kingpin&qid=1618071088&sprefix=american+kingpin%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-1). So far- I’ve gotten through Ross Ulbricht getting the idea and setting everything up. Pretty excellent book- Ulbricht appeals to my Libertarian bent for sure. Snowden, now Silk Road, who knows what’s next!

For a counter perspective, you might add A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear (https://www.amazon.com/Libertarian-Walks-Into-Bear-Liberate/dp/1541788516). As a Libertarian I didn't think it was all that good, but almost everyone else seems to find it very amusing...

RancidSumo
04-07-2021, 12:30 PM
Started the book - American Kingpin today about the Silk Road. (https://www.amazon.com/American-Kingpin-Criminal-Mastermind-Behind-ebook/dp/B01L8C4WBG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2OOG15BUAVW4C&dchild=1&keywords=american+kingpin&qid=1618071088&sprefix=american+kingpin%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-1) So far- I’ve gotten through Ross Ulbricht getting the idea and setting everything up. Pretty excellent book- Ulbricht appeals to my Libertarian bent for sure. Snowden, now Silk Road, who knows what’s next!

I enjoyed that book and think it is a testament to how fairly it is written that my conclusion differs greatly from the author's. I firmly believe that Ross's trial was unfair and his sentence unjust.

pyrotechnic
04-10-2021, 10:10 AM
"The Long Earth"

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Earth-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0062068687

The setup for the book is there is (apparently) infinite iterations of Earth and with a simple device you can learn to hop between them. Each Earth is very slightly different, it's history being not quite the same, and the further you go the less like your Earth things get. The Earths are labeled "East" and "West" just as a means to keep track. You can step one east or one west at a time. Most people get nauseated by the process and have to wait a bit before they can step again. You also don't move physically or in time. If you step into solid matter, you won't step at all. If you step into the air, you'll fall when you arrive. If there are still dinosaurs, it's because that's the path that Earth took. You can move almost anything with you while stepping with the exception of elemental iron or it's metal alloys. The iron dissolved in your blood is fine, an axe head is not. It just stays in the Earth it was mined at.

Only our Earth has humans.

It's an interesting story but it's also an interesting take on what happens when access to many commodities are now almost limitless. There's more gold then people can mine. There's more trees than people can cut. There's more farm land than people can farm...and nobody actually *has* to farm if they go far enough out because you can successfully keep a hunter/gatherer society.

It's a 5 book series, all of which are out. I'll probably pick up the 2nd book at some point, but I've got a few others I want to catch up on first.

I just started the second. It begins a decade after the events of the 1st. With the ending I had hoped that there would actually be some sort of conflict to resolve in the sequel. However, the start doesn't leave me very optimistic. Which is a shame, as the premise is quite promising.

Jim Watson
04-10-2021, 10:20 AM
I have read them. The later books get a bit far out even relative to the concept of a world line shifter powered by a potato.
But then Steven Baxter is always far out.
I don't recall any epigrams which is a bad sign for me. Maybe I need to reread them.

pyrotechnic
04-10-2021, 10:41 AM
Most of my reading is fantasy, so dimension traveling, potato power I can enjoy. However when the author decides to go with "animal abuse" as the leading cause of drama, instead of the nuclear strike with which he ended his last book, I start to have doubts about whether this will be a series I finish.

LittleLebowski
04-10-2021, 11:14 AM

Added to the list.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-12-2021, 09:28 AM
Jack Carr - Savage Son, next is his Rapp like heroes adventure. Pretty good story and character.

Terminal rage / A.M. Khalifa. - a complex terrorist tale with the usual flawed but interesting hero who fell out of favor with the government. However, neat twists.

NEPAKevin
04-12-2021, 03:50 PM
Jack Carr - Savage Son, next is his Rapp like heroes adventure. Pretty good story and character.

Book 4, Devil's Hand (https://www.amazon.com/Devils-Hand-Thriller-Jack-Carr-ebook/dp/B08BW72XZK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=JACK+CARR&qid=1618260482&sr=8-3), should be out tomorrow.

Casual Friday
04-13-2021, 12:03 PM
Book 4, Devil's Hand (https://www.amazon.com/Devils-Hand-Thriller-Jack-Carr-ebook/dp/B08BW72XZK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=JACK+CARR&qid=1618260482&sr=8-3), should be out tomorrow.

I preordered a while back and it was on my Kindle when I got up this morning. I'm about 50 pages in and it feels more like his first Terminal List than the others.

I was not as entertained by Savage Son and was hoping The Devil's Hand would be different and it appears it is. So far so good.

NEPAKevin
04-17-2021, 01:25 PM
A while back, there was a discussion of where to buy hard to find or out of print books that I thought I bookmarked to links but apparently did not. Does anyone recall anything like that? TIA

Coyotesfan97
04-17-2021, 02:01 PM
A while back, there was a discussion of where to buy hard to find or out of print books that I thought I bookmarked to links but apparently did not. Does anyone recall anything like that? TIA

Stephanie recommended Abe Books (https://www.abebooks.com) to me recently. I’ve bought Will and As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me from them.

NEPAKevin
04-17-2021, 02:27 PM
Stephanie recommended Abe Books (https://www.abebooks.com) to me recently. I’ve bought Will and As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me from them.

Thank you. I though Stephanie was one and maybe Revolver Rob? but my CRS might be kicking in. :)

ETA: and they even had the book I was looking to purchase and at a reasonable price.

Bigguy
04-17-2021, 06:15 PM
The Captain’s Log Book
5/5

This is an autobiographical tale over a 4 month period. Warning, the author is very religious and makes frequent references to God. It can come off as a little bit preachy.
I enjoyed reading about parts of the world, and cultures I wasn’t familiar with.
De Silva leaves a 9 to 5 job where he’s home with his family to return to sea as Captain of a ship. He states that God warned him against this move, but he didn’t listen. He believes the 4 month long disaster of that voyage was because he ignored God.
The adventure and danger are real, and that makes it all the more compelling. But even in the midst of disaster, some good does come from it. Several lives were made better for his misadventure. Though he had to suffer the consequences of his decision he believed that God was still with him, helping him survive each new disaster.
This book is filled with real life adventure in exotic places. A worthwhile read.

Coyotesfan97
04-18-2021, 02:05 AM
Thank you. I though Stephanie was one and maybe Revolver Rob? but my CRS might be kicking in. :)

ETA: and they even had the book I was looking to purchase and at a reasonable price.

Nice! I usually look at Amazon but Abe has had the last two paper books I’ve bought with good prices and pretty quick shipping.

Coyotesfan97
04-18-2021, 02:17 AM
I’m pretty sure this series has probably been mentioned and I can’t believe I hadn’t read any of it before. It’s Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYGGG76?searchxofy=true&binding=kindle_edition&ref_=dbs_s_aps_series_rwt_tkin). The Colour of Magic is the first in the series and was published in 1983. There’s 40 books in the series so I’ve got some reading to do. Pritchett is hilarious.

From Amazon’s description “ Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent, bestselling novels have garnered him a revered position in the halls of parody next to the likes of Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen. The Color of Magic is Terry Pratchett's maiden voyage through the now-legendary land of Discworld. This is where it all begins -- with the tourist Twoflower and his wizard guide, Rincewind.”

peterb
04-18-2021, 02:39 PM
I’m pretty sure this series has probably been mentioned and I can’t believe I hadn’t read any of it before. It’s Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series. The Colour of Magic is the first in the series and was published in 1983. There’s 40 books in the series so I’ve got some reading to do. Pritchett is hilarious.

https://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

I think I’ve read them all.....

peterb
04-18-2021, 02:59 PM
Oops. Double tap.

Coyotesfan97
04-18-2021, 05:24 PM
Here’s the reading order I saw

Terry Pratchett Books

-The Colour of Magic (1983) (Rincewind)
-The Light Fantastic (1986) (Rincewind)
-Equal Rites (1987) (The Witches)
-Mort (1987) (Death)
-Sourcery (1988) (Rincewind)
-Wyrd Sisters (1988) (The Witches)
-Pyramids (1989) (Ancient Civilizations)
-Guards! Guards! (1989) (City Watch)
-Faust Eric (1990) (Rincewind)
-Moving Pictures (1990) (Industrial Revolution)
-Reaper Man (1991) (Death)
-Witches Abroad (1991) (The Witches)
-Small Gods (1992) (Ancient Civilizations)
-Lords and Ladies (1992) (The Witches)
-Troll Bridge (1992) (Short story)
-Men at Arms (1993) (City Watch)
-Theatre of Cruelty (1993) (Short story)
-Soul Music (1994) (Death)
-Interesting Times (1994) (Rincewind)
-Maskerade (1995) (The Witches)
-Feet of Clay (1996) (City Watch)
-Hogfather (1996) (Death)
-Jingo (1997) (City Watch)
-The Last Continent (1998) (Rincewind)
-Carpe Jugulum (1998) (The Witches)
-The Sea and Little Fishes (1998) (Short story)
-The Fifth Elephant (1999) (City Watch)
-The Truth (2000) (Industrial Revolution)
-Thief of Time (2001) (Death)
-The Last Hero (2001) (Rincewind, although this is debatable)
-The Amazing Maurice And His -Educated Rodents (2001) (One-off)
-Night Watch (2002) (City Watch)
-Death and What Comes Next (2002) (Short story)
-The Wee Free Men (2003) (Tiffany Aching/The Witches)
-Monstrous Regiment (2003) (Industrial Revolution)
-A Hat Full of Sky (2004) (Tiffany Aching/The Witches)
-Going Postal (2004) (Industrial Revolution)
-Once More* With Footnotes (2004) (Compilation of short works)
-Thud! (2005) (City Watch)
-Where's my cow (2005) (Short story)
-Wintersmith (2006) (Tiffany Aching/The Witches)
-Making Money (2007) (Industrial Revolution)
-Unseen Academicals (2009) (The Wizards, Rincewind)
-I Shall Wear Midnight (2010) (Tiffany Aching/The Witches)
-Snuff (2011) (City Watch)
-Raising Steam (2013) (Industrial Revolution)
-The Shepherd's Crown (2015) (Tiffany Aching/The Witches)

NEPAKevin
04-19-2021, 01:14 PM
Nice! I usually look at Amazon but Abe has had the last two paper books I’ve bought with good prices and pretty quick shipping.

Amazon's price was $809.67 plus $3.99 shipping. Abe was $30.00 + $4.00 shipping. I understand that Bezos's divorce was on the spendy side but I would rather not contribute any more than necessary to either his or Wayne LaPierre's life styles. I know, selfish on my part.

Coyotesfan97
04-19-2021, 06:21 PM
Amazon's price was $809.67 plus $3.99 shipping. Abe was $30.00 + $4.00 shipping. I understand that Bezos's divorce was on the spendy side but I would rather not contribute any more than necessary to either his or Wayne LaPierre's life styles. I know, selfish on my part.

A $775 savings! It’s crazy how much Amazon sellers want for books:rolleyes:

Lex Luthier
04-20-2021, 09:21 AM
Just an FYI- ABE Books and Alibris are both owned by Amazon. That said, they do not (as yet, anyway) seem to coordinate their pricing.

ABE has been my go-to since the early 2000s, and Alibris is growing on me, though their shipping fee structure is punishing if you only want $20-30 worth of books.

Jim Watson
04-20-2021, 09:33 AM
Just an FYI- ABE Books and Alibris are both owned by Amazon.

Amazing concentration of the business. Time for a trust buster?
Reminiscent of the old SF story where about everything was managed by an offshoot of Blue Cross.
Insure your car with Blue Wheel, get your food from Blue Plate, etc., etc.

Moylan
04-20-2021, 10:25 AM
Just an FYI- ABE Books and Alibris are both owned by Amazon. That said, they do not (as yet, anyway) seem to coordinate their pricing.

ABE has been my go-to since the early 2000s, and Alibris is growing on me, though their shipping fee structure is punishing if you only want $20-30 worth of books.

To the best of my knowledge, Alibris is not owned by Amazon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibris

As an inveterate Amazon hater, this means most of my online book business goes to Alibris. I hope they don't get assimilated. Options are disappearing fast.

Lex Luthier
04-20-2021, 11:46 AM
To the best of my knowledge, Alibris is not owned by Amazon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibris

As an inveterate Amazon hater, this means most of my online book business goes to Alibris. I hope they don't get assimilated. Options are disappearing fast.

Moylan is right; apparently Amazon is the biggest customer of Alibris; I suppose I was mistaken.

NEPAKevin
04-20-2021, 12:46 PM
A $775 savings! It’s crazy how much Amazon sellers want for books:rolleyes:

P.T. Barnum is often attributed for the quote "There's a sucker born every minute." Considering the clown show that some of this country is becoming, why not?

OTOH, I was a little surprised this morning when I noticed that Jeff Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GPCLQTV/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0) is now listed as a Great on Kindle book. :)

peterb
04-20-2021, 01:12 PM
Here’s the reading order I saw.

We were not that organized when we read them.:-) It is fun to see how the characters evolve.

The last few(chronologically) are not his best. He freely admitted that he was fighting with Alzheimer’s, and it shows. The ideas are there but the writing doesn’t have the same sparkle.

At his best he was brilliant.

Stephanie B
04-23-2021, 08:36 AM
Too bad somebody can’t get James Lee Burke and Craig Johnson to collaborate on a book. A Dave Robichaux – Walt Longmire mashup would be awesome.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-28-2021, 09:01 AM
Lost Boys - Faye Kellerman

Another burned out series. Flat plot, ends in two cliff hangers. The crimes are boring. The resolution of one is rather forced. The main characters are ready for a retirement home.

Fool's Paradise - a Jesse Stone book. Mildly interesting. Lots of Jesse worrying about his alcohol addiction. His sometimes girl friend Sunny from her series, still hooked on her doofus Ex. Get over it.

Both books have the cliches of law enforcement having anti hero assassin buddies. I'm sure that happens in real life. Goes along with all characters knowing the best hacker in the world.

Neither worth buying, thank you library system. Looking for the next Lucas Daveport which just came out.

Lon
05-01-2021, 11:02 PM
New Monster Hunter International book out - Bloodlines. It’s an eARC on baen.com. Damn good book. You’ll love the cast of characters and the plot twists.

GearFondler
05-01-2021, 11:34 PM
New Monster Hunter International book out - Bloodlines. It’s an eARC on baen.com. Damn good book. You’ll love the cast of characters and the plot twists.Awesome! I'll wait for the Audible release but I'm much excite!

BehindBlueI's
05-02-2021, 06:14 AM
I finished the first four books of the Chivalry series. I've enjoyed them. I thought they were all out, but apparently book 5 isn't out until July 8:

https://www.amazon.com/Hawkwoods-Sword-Christian-Cameron-ebook/dp/B08QHTPR1G/

NEPAKevin
05-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Decided to try out Audible and have been listening to the late Mike Hoare (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Mike_Hoare) read his book Congo Mercenary (https://www.amazon.com/Congo-Mercenary-Mike-Hoare-audiobook/dp/B00AO6JU6U/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mike+hoare&qid=1620074732&sr=8-5) which is about the fighting in 1960's Belgian Congo. It was a little difficult to get trough the introduction and first chapter or so as I suspect this was the first time the author had done something like this. I am glad I stuck with it as after a bit, he warmed to the reading and more like he was reminiscing. His unit, Five Commando were also known as the Wild Geese and likely served as inspiration for the movie of the same name for which he was a technical adviser.

pyrotechnic
05-07-2021, 06:23 AM
The Faithful and the Fallen series by John Gwynne.
Got a little over halfway through the second book and won't be finishing it.

The only way the plot works is because of super convenient timing, and the absolute idiocy and sheer incompetence of the main characters. I don't know why, but I wanted to like it enough to go on to the second book. The series has rave reviews on Goodreads, but here I am, irritated, and I want my money back haha.

I did just finish the Ryria Revelations and enjoyed them as fun reads

Before that I read "A Little Hatred" and "The Trouble with Peace" by Joe Abercrombie and both those books are awesome. I'm looking forward to the release of their sequel.

Greg
05-08-2021, 01:31 PM
I just finished “Hellhound On His Trail” by Hampton Sides and I strongly recommend it

Anything by this author is sure to be worthwhile.

LOKNLOD
05-08-2021, 08:39 PM
Just wrapped up the Audible version of Steven Pressfield's latest book A Man at Arms (https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B08D4WGM7Z&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_HME70AYENXYGBQFVX856). (ETA: Not sure what's up with the weird Kindle preview link, but hey here's a preview!)

Synopsis: Crusty ex-legionnaire merc has his philosophy evolve as he participates in the chase to intercept Paul's letter to the church at Corinth.

I enjoyed it quite a bit and burned through it quickly. It's a relatively short read/listen. If you liked Pressfield's Gates of Fire, the movie Gladiator, and the New Testament, it will probably be interesting to you. Has some Creasy Bear Man on Fire vibes. I wouldn't trust Hollywood to not screw it up with the religious connection, but if done well I think it would make a superbly entertaining movie.

Recommended!

Also, I didn't love the narrator in the audible version at first, but he grew on me quickly and his voice was right for the story. Audible version recommended specifically, if you like to be read to by gravelly-voiced old men.

Erik
05-08-2021, 08:49 PM
Audible version recommended specifically, if you like to be read to by gravelly-voiced old men.

And piña coladas.

LOKNLOD
05-08-2021, 08:58 PM
And piña coladas.

If the piña coladas start reading to you, it's time to switch to water for a while.

BehindBlueI's
05-08-2021, 09:02 PM
I just started the second. It begins a decade after the events of the 1st. With the ending I had hoped that there would actually be some sort of conflict to resolve in the sequel. However, the start doesn't leave me very optimistic. Which is a shame, as the premise is quite promising.

I almost gave up on it, it's definitely a slow start. The first 20% of the book was a drag, but it does pick up. I'm getting close to done with it and the second half has been at least interesting.

However when the author decides to go with "animal abuse" as the leading cause of drama..

I know you put it in quotes, but it's not really what it's about. The whole "where does sentience begin" angle is kind of interesting, but it's more than just animal abuse. Kind of like the Lobsang thing, what's "human" mean? I do like the new races discovered so far. I've also enjoyed the imagery of the Chinese mission.

Depending on how book 2 ends, I'm not sure how dedicated I am to going to book 3, though.

pyrotechnic
05-08-2021, 09:52 PM
I know you put it in quotes, but it's not really what it's about. The whole "where does sentience begin" angle is kind of interesting, but it's more than just animal abuse. Kind of like the Lobsang thing, what's "human" mean? I do like the new races discovered so far. I've also enjoyed the imagery of the Chinese mission.

Depending on how book 2 ends, I'm not sure how dedicated I am to going to book 3, though.

It was definitely a cheap shot on my part. I was a bit frustrated with the setting and characters I was fairly excited about and looking forward to getting more development (beyond "we're all middle aged now") being pretty much tossed aside.

I'll have to revisit it.

BehindBlueI's
05-09-2021, 06:44 PM
It was definitely a cheap shot on my part. I was a bit frustrated with the setting and characters I was fairly excited about and looking forward to getting more development (beyond "we're all middle aged now") being pretty much tossed aside.

I'll have to revisit it.

I finished it. The Beagles concept was interesting. The last 20% of the book is much better than the first 20% for sure, although I can't say much (with a few exceptions) really is an "action scene" equivalent. I don't know, it's the Seinfeld of Sci Fi? I have taken to thinking of the repeating themes as their own characters, and the named characters as components of them. Maybe like Second Person Singular, the individuals are just a demonstration of the whole and we're on it's back taking a ride? Maybe I'm just looking for more meaning then the authors put into it, but regardless I'm glad I finished the book. I think I'll take a break from the series before the 3rd one, though.

Stephanie B
05-09-2021, 07:01 PM
I finished it. The Beagles concept was interesting. The last 20% of the book is much better than the first 20% for sure, although I can't say much (with a few exceptions) really is an "action scene" equivalent. I don't know, it's the Seinfeld of Sci Fi? I have taken to thinking of the repeating themes as their own characters, and the named characters as components of them. Maybe like Second Person Singular, the individuals are just a demonstration of the whole and we're on it's back taking a ride? Maybe I'm just looking for more meaning then the authors put into it, but regardless I'm glad I finished the book. I think I'll take a break from the series before the 3rd one, though.

I might have to give it another try. I got about three chapters into the second book and dropped it into the return chute for the library.

"Former lover shows up and chivvies the hero into leaving his family and life behind and going off with her on a new adventure."

Right, and when he steps back into that world, he gets hit with divorce papers, charging him with abandonment? Because that's how it seems to work IRL.

Glenn E. Meyer
05-10-2021, 10:00 AM
The Good Hand by Michael Smith (https://www.amazon.com/Good-Hand-Brotherhood-Transformation-American-ebook/dp/B08D8K11HF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=The+Good+Hand+Michael+Smith&qid=1621341415&sr=8-1)- an Easterner goes to work in the North Dakota oil fields as he is at odds with himself. Interesting portrait of the work and the folks who work there. Not that much interested in his personal journal but the descriptions are a good read.

Flight or Fright - Stephen King (https://www.amazon.com/Flight-Fright-17-Turbulent-Tales-ebook/dp/B07MNKX69P/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=flight+or+fright&qid=1621341440&sr=8-1). Got it as audio book for driving. Scary stories about airplanes. Some are scary. Even driving around in bright sun light with the EDC, I got chills from a couple of them. Being the cargo master in a transport full of kids' bodies from the Jim Jones massacre - I'll pass on that one.

idahojess
05-16-2021, 08:53 PM
I just finished 2034 by Elliot Ackerman and Admiral James Stavridis.

It's a quick, compelling read about an out-of-control conflict between China and the U.S. that ends, well, not well.

Cyberattacks, internet hacks, lack of communications security, Russian and Iranian opportunism are all pretty predictable.

Good read, and sobering.

https://www.amazon.com/2034-Novel-Next-World-War/dp/1984881256/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=2034&qid=1621216272&sr=8-1

NEPAKevin
05-17-2021, 01:21 PM
Free with Audible, Sun Tzu's Art of War (https://www.amazon.com/The-Art-of-War-Sun-Tzu-audiobook/dp/B00URW47O6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Aidan+Gillen&qid=1621275195&s=audible&sr=1-1) read by Aidan Gillen aka Littlefinger from Game of Thrones, Peaky Blinders' Aberama Gold and Mayor Carcetti on the Wire.

0ddl0t
05-17-2021, 08:22 PM
The Premonition: A Pandemic Story
By Michael Lewis

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41+2DiWeWAS._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Premonition-Pandemic-Story-Michael-Lewis/dp/0393881555/

Far from his best book, but still worth a read.

The Premonition is a look back at what led up to the initial response to the Covid19 pandemic. As expected from the increasingly Berkeley-ized Michael Lewis, it has ample criticism of President Trump (to the point many here would view it as Trump Derangement Syndrome). Unlike most of Lewis' books, The Premonition seems a bit disjointed and does not feel like it comes to a satisfactory conclusion. But Lewis' colorful characters/storytelling and warranted criticism of prominent liberals like President Obama (who dismantled many of Bush II's pandemic preparedness plans) & California Governor Gavin Newsom (who passed over the most qualified candidate for being "too blonde" to hire an incompetent Latina to lead California's department of public health) makes this worth the read for even the most partisan Republican.

Most of Lewis' popular books (Moneyball, The Blindside, The Big Short) follow a similar theme: rational, intelligent outsiders & outcasts valiantly battle (and profit from) the political/irrational system that ignores them. The Premonition seems like it is following the same pattern except in this story the scrappy outsiders ultimately don't prevail.

My biggest gripe is that Lewis is enamored with the idea of government stepping in to regulate and solve these problems, yet his books constantly point out the ways government structures/bureaucracies/politics fail. Likewise he often makes private businesses out as the villain yet many of the heroes come from the private sector.

He only briefly touches on what I feel should be the biggest lesson from the pandemic response: how citizens will respond to future public health directives if, in the face of incomplete information, public health officers are to always error on the side of caution and make these big, disruptive calls. And yet he squarely blames the downfall of the CDC on making such a call with the 1976 swine flu vaccine.

Still, the characters and their stories are entertaining and informative enough to warrant a read or listen.

0ddl0t
05-17-2021, 10:56 PM
The Premonition: A Pandemic Story

April 2020 Military.com article mentioning one of the subjects of the book:

Dr. Carter Mecher, the VA's senior adviser to the Office of Public Health, warned as early as Jan. 28 that the World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention "were behind the curve," in responding to the novel coronavirus and swift action was needed to stop it

"You guys made fun of me, screaming to close the schools. Now I'm screaming, close the colleges and universities," wrote Mecher to the group, nicknamed "Red Dawn" for the 1984 movie that pitted actors Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen against a foreign enemy invasion.
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/04/13/any-way-you-cut-it-going-be-bad-va-official-sounded-early-covid-19-warning.html

TNK
05-21-2021, 11:10 AM
The Social Contract (1970) by Robert Ardrey.

BehindBlueI's
05-21-2021, 04:05 PM
"Former lover shows up and chivvies the hero into leaving his family and life behind and going off with her on a new adventure."

Right, and when he steps back into that world, he gets hit with divorce papers, charging him with abandonment? Because that's how it seems to work IRL.

I don't think Sally is a former lover. Just a former acquaintance from previous missions, but definitely one who shows up just to get him involved in trouble. The book did a reasonable job with the dynamic between Helen and Sally, I thought.

Darth_Uno
05-21-2021, 07:15 PM
Just finished the eARC of Larry Correia’s Monster Hunter Bloodlines.

He’s pretty much sticking with what works, so if you like all the other MHI books you’ll like this one too.

Bigguy
05-21-2021, 07:53 PM
I'm presently finishing up Michelle Malkan's book "Culture of Corruption" (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DF72C5J/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1) (2009) about the Obama administration. I didn't think my eyes could be opened up any more about how corrupt the Clinton and Obama administrations were. I was wrong. And incase anybody claims she's talking out of her rear, the last 79 pages of this 376 page book are notes and index. She backs up everything she claims. I've just started following her on Facebook. When I clicked the link on her FB page to go to her website, I got a notice that the Face-place couldn't send me to that site because it violates their "community standards." Sickening. I was able to copy and paste the URL. Think I'm going to be a real fan.

Casual Friday
05-22-2021, 03:02 PM
Beirut Rules: The Murder of a CIA Station Chief and Hezbollah's War Against America (https://www.amazon.com/Beirut-Rules-Station-Hezbollahs-Against-ebook/dp/B01IAUG2QW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=beirut+rules&qid=1621713552&sr=8-1) is well worth your time if you enjoy this type of book.

It was recommended in author Jack Carr's monthly reading list which I subscribe to via email. Even if Carr's books aren't your thing, his reading list is quite good.

NEPAKevin
05-22-2021, 03:21 PM
It was recommended in author Jack Carr's monthly reading list which I subscribe to via email. Even if Carr's books aren't your thing, his reading list is quite good.

Some of his podcasts are also pretty good. The only thing is that much like this forum, one needs to do one's best to tell oneself that one really doesn't "need stuff," if you know what I mean.

Wyoming Shooter
05-25-2021, 10:21 AM
This was a quirky and excellent book. Thanks!

Only 15% in, so too early to make a formal pronouncement, but I'm enjoying a western called "The Sisters Brothers" (https://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Brothers-Patrick-deWitt/dp/0062041282) by Patrick DeWitt.

Interesting, funny, dark, violent by turns. So far, I'm glad I happened on this gem. You may be as well.

Dave Williams
05-25-2021, 01:44 PM
I just finished The Witch's Heart by Genevieve Gornichec (https://www.amazon.com/Witchs-Heart-Genevieve-Gornichec-ebook/dp/B088F35VD9/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Witch%27s+Heart+by+Genevieve+Gornichec&qid=1622426566&sr=8-1), a Norse mythology novel, it was very good.

Guerrero
05-28-2021, 10:54 AM
Up until yesterday, I considered myself a big fan of William Gibson. I really enjoyed his prose and how he uses language (similar to the way I enjoy how Tolkien used language). I loved his "Sprawl" and "Bridge" trilogies. I tried reading the "Blue Ant" trilogy when it came out, but lost interest halfway through the second book. I came back to them last month, read the first book, got halfway through the second... and finally quit. Dropped off all three books at a local Little Free Library.

JAD
I must be like an abused spouse, because I read William Gibson's The Peripheral (https://www.amazon.com/Peripheral-William-Gibson-ebook/dp/B00INIXKV2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=15AHQ5PD7P3JU&dchild=1&keywords=william+gibson+peripheral&qid=1622426622&sprefix=William+Gibson+p%2Caps%2C203&sr=8-2).

It was... not bad.

It was very much a return to Gibson's normal style/themes, after the steaming pile that was most of the "Blue Ant" trilogy. It's a time-travel story... sort of. The action is split between the very-near future (maybe 20-ish years from now) and the, er, less near-future (90-ish years from now). It's a thing in the further future for the super-rich there to contact the near-future, thus creating a "stub," i.e. an "alternate past" that these super-rich can then dick around with for fun without affecting their own past. There's also "peripherals", tele-presence bodies that people use for fun. Stuff happens, time-streams mix. Worth a look if you like Gibson's stuff.

Some stuff I didn't like: Gibson has a style where he doesn't do a lot of exposition, doesn't explain stuff, he let's it gradually unfold over the story and you have to pick it up from context. Normally I like the way Gibson does this, but in The Peripheral, he went a bit overboard; by the end of the book, I felt as if there were several things I still didn't understand. The book also has some plot holes, the especially large one being I still don't see why the whole plot kicked off in the first place. Lastly, I don't really like politics in my fiction (unless I'm specifically reading it for the politics), and Gibson seems to be letting his personal politics seep in more and more. I will not be reading the follow-on to The Peripheral (Agency), as Gibson stated the he scrapped the original plot after Donald Trump was elected President, as he just couldn't not respond to this happening (eyeroll) (the plot of Agency involves a "stub" where Hillary Clinton won, natch).

Stephanie B
05-29-2021, 12:30 PM
A Man Named Doll, a mystery by Jonathan Ames. (https://www.amazon.com/Man-Named-Doll-Jonathan-Ames-ebook/dp/B08F51CXVZ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3L4K9QWMNSQ54&dchild=1&keywords=a+man+named+doll&qid=1622426668&sprefix=An+man+named+%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-1)

What I can't get past is that the printing in the book is so light that it seems as though the ink was severely watered down. I have to read it in daylight, reading by a lamp is just not good enough. I don't care how good a book is, none of them are worth eyestrain.

Stephanie B
05-29-2021, 07:14 PM
A Man Named Doll, a mystery by Jonathan Ames.

What I can't get past is that the printing in the book is so light that it seems as though the ink was severely watered down. I have to read it in daylight, reading by a lamp is just not good enough. I don't care how good a book is, none of them are worth eyestrain.

Well, it didn’t watch matter. It was pretty sucky.

pyrotechnic
05-30-2021, 12:50 AM
I recently reread the first 2 books of Brandon Sanderson's 'Stormlight Archive'. It had been several years since I read them and enjoyed the reread immensely, I then devoured the 3rd book 'Oathbringer' which was amazing.

I'm now a little halfway through the 4th book 'Rythm of War'. I probably had too high of expectations going into it, but I'm thinking it needs to be retitled as 'Rythm of self-pity, self-loathing, depression, and various other melancholies as described by an amateur psychologist'.

In the previous books Sanderson did a great job of giving his characters internal struggles to battle along side the external forces set against them. These battles could be quite relatable and moving in and of themselves. Now these internal struggles take center stage as the numerous exciting and interesting developments of the plot get brushed aside in favor of self-indulgent dialogue. Characters you used to look forward to reading about now illicit groan when the POV switches to them and you're wondering what this guy is going to cry about now. Then you realize that it will be about the same thing over and over and over.

I'm just butthurt and venting, but I've loved every one of Sanderson's books so far, and this one has me racing to finish. So I can just be done with it.

Dave Williams
05-30-2021, 10:30 AM
I just finished A Man At Arms by Steven Pressfield (https://www.amazon.com/Man-at-Arms-Novel-ebook/dp/B08D4WGM7Z/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2T3IAJ6WN22AB&dchild=1&keywords=a+man+at+arms+steven+pressfield&qid=1622426713&sprefix=a+man+at+%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-2). Not bad, a little unbelievable in the amount of punishment a man can take.

Glenn E. Meyer
05-30-2021, 04:32 PM
Blood and Ice - by Robert Masello (https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Ice-Novel-Robert-Masello-ebook/dp/B001NLL81A/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Blood+and+Ice+Robert+Masello&qid=1622426784&sr=8-1)

An interesting historical vampire story from the 1800s to modern times in Antarctica (where two sadly infected lovers are found from being thrown overboard). Keeps your interest but the ending falls apart and is rushed. I would have rather seen it played out differently. However, it is good read.

The German Invasion of Norway: April 1940
by Geirr H. Haarr (https://www.amazon.com/German-Invasion-Norway-April-1940-ebook/dp/B00KEURQAI/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1IE21UP9DK91&dchild=1&keywords=the+german+invasion+of+norway&qid=1622426837&sprefix=The+German+invasio%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-1)

A very readable and detailed history of the events. It's sad for the Norwegians who come across as brave but so naive and unprepared. They were living in an earlier age of violations of neutrality being important and not realizing the horror facing them. Little real preparation so some good assets were not used. Not that they would have won but it could have bloodied the Nazis more than they did.

Dave Williams
05-31-2021, 11:46 AM
I just finished Ocean Prey, the latest Lucas Davenport novel (https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Prey-Novel-Book-31-ebook/dp/B08DMVCQNL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3LL325467P7CC&dchild=1&keywords=ocean+prey+by+john+sandford&qid=1622770591&sprefix=Ocean+Prey+%2Caps%2C267&sr=8-1) which also features Virgil Flowers, it was very good.

Stephanie B
06-03-2021, 04:07 PM
I've read a lot of stuff by Patrick McManus, but I didn't know that he had written some mysteries late in his career. The first one was pretty good (https://www.amazon.com/Blight-Way-Sheriff-Mystery-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B000FCKRME/).

Coyotesfan97
06-03-2021, 04:50 PM
I've read a lot of stuff by Patrick McManus, but I didn't know that he had written some mysteries late in his career. The first one was pretty good (https://www.amazon.com/Blight-Way-Sheriff-Mystery-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B000FCKRME/).

He’s given me some side splitting laughter. I need to reread some books.

SeriousStudent
06-03-2021, 08:14 PM

I love those! My children grew up with tales about Rancid Crabtree and Retch Sweeney as bedtime stories.

Now that my granddaughter is nearly ten, she still loves it when she spends a weekend with PawPaw and we read them together. :)

JAD
06-07-2021, 09:26 PM
72507https://pistol-forum.com/blob:https://pistol-forum.com/53fb81f9-bfd3-4c91-bd3c-c9fb978321a4

Glenn E. Meyer
06-09-2021, 11:28 AM
Finished Zero Fail on the Secret Service. Not in my lane to evaluate what the author said but it was a pretty critical take on them. If I were the President, I'd carry a Glock 19.

Stephanie B
06-09-2021, 04:45 PM

I read through the series (https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00CKCJC6E/). They're all good.

One recurring line:

Deputy sheriff: "This could be dangerous."

Sheriff Tully: "What's your point?"

Cheap Shot
06-09-2021, 05:38 PM
I read through the series (https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00CKCJC6E/). They're all good.

One recurring line:

Deputy sheriff: "This could be dangerous."

Sheriff Tully: "What's your point?"

In my earlier decades I read all his books (several times) from his Outdoor Life/Field & Stream days

I finished the 1st of the series and have the 2nd and 3rd stacked up and ready to read. His humor seems slightly more sophisticated and dryer with just a touch more social commentary on rural life tossed in for the detective series. Great read, and thank you!

I just realized he's one of the few authors I've read for over SIX decades. When and how did this happen:confused:

0ddl0t
06-11-2021, 11:49 PM
Young Men and Fire
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51xqvP3Xg5L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jp g
https://www.amazon.com/Young-Men-Fire-Norman-Maclean/dp/0226500624

Trapped between a rapidly advancing wall of flames and a steep ridge, foreman Robert "Wag" Dodge does the unthinkable and lights a separate fire, ordering his crew to lie down in its hot ashes. Dodge survives, but no one follows him. Two of the 15 others manage to escape through a narrow gap in the crown of rocks at the ridge, but 13 ultimately perish - perhaps, as some parents allege in lawsuits, trapped between the Mann Gulch fire and Dodge's own fire.

http://formontana.net/mouth2012label2.jpg

Norman Maclean, the author of A River Runs Through It, attempts to find the truth behind the deaths of these 12 young smoke jumpers & 1 fire fighter in the 1949 Mann Gulch fire. Maclean worked on this book for decades, but died before finishing so this lacks some of the polish you might otherwise expect. Still, this was an excellent read and a thorough examination of all the factors that lead up to this tragedy.

idahojess
06-12-2021, 03:21 PM

I did not know that he wrote mysteries. I see my library has a copy.

Does Strange make an appearance?

Stephanie B
06-12-2021, 07:22 PM
I did not know that he wrote mysteries. I see my library has a copy.

Does Strange make an appearance?

No.

Bratch
06-12-2021, 09:35 PM
Has anyone read “Only cry for the Living” by Hollie McKay? I heard her on Stumpf’s podcast and thought she was fascinating. I will probably grab it at some point but I’m stacked up on existing books and magazines I need to finish first.

Bigguy
06-12-2021, 10:49 PM

I followed him in the illustrious pages of "Field and Stream." I've never laughed as hard as reading those articles. I've gotten in trouble snickering at a McManus article I was reading during class. Maybe the fact that I couldn't express the laughter made it even funnier.
I never did his mysteries. Sadly, I'll probably never read one.
I pour my heart and soul into my novels and offer them at the lowest price Amazon will allow. Usually about $2.99.
I read "The Martian" when it was available for less than $5.00 as an ebook. I will not spend more than $15.00 on the ebook version of a book of "Hail Marry." I'm not buying a name , I want a story. Frankly, I've been disappointed in the more expensive book, sold by author name, than the $2.99 books sold by independent authors. I am a Weir fan, but can't buy into the "Publishing" World" needed to be a success. I will not buy "Hail Mary," at $15.00 for the ebook version. I'd happily buy the e-version for $5.00. If he's moved past that point, then he's moved past me.
I'll keep writing and self publishing. Decades after my death, It's possible i'll be recognized as a genius. I'll never see any profit from it. But I'll stick to my guns. Successful or not, this is my work.
I WILL NOT pay more than $3.00 on an author name. Sell by volume on the quality of your work. (ebook) I'll never buy a book because pop culture approves of it. My experience when, I followed that trend, was less than fruitful.

Flashman
06-14-2021, 12:42 PM
As one who lives in the West and is impacted by forest management and yearly wildfires on forest lands, I very much enjoyed and learned much about the ecology and mismanagement of fire on public and private lands. MacLean's son followed his father's seminal book and has written several books on famous fires similar to this one but current to today's fires, technology and environment.

idahojess
06-14-2021, 10:03 PM

Checked it out from the library on Saturday and finished it last night. Fun read -- his humor is sprinkled throughout.

Coyotesfan97
06-25-2021, 11:27 PM
Classic Gunfights Volume 2 Blaze Away (https://store.truewestmagazine.com/tw-home-page/books/classic-gunfights-vol-ii-blaze-away-2/)

Blaze Away! gives an indepth look at the 25 gunfights leading up to the O.K. Corral fight and all of those going out the other side. Most books skim over the other fights to get to the big fight, but not this one. Illustrated with 236 Bob Boze Bell images created just for this project, the book also has Gus Walker’s detailed maps and Bob McCubbin’s priceless photos.

Some men talked the talk. Others walked the walk. And they met in a side yard behind a certain corral. Learn about the many gunfights that took place in Tombstone, Arizona between 1880-1882. While the famous gunfight at the O.K. Corral is certainly featured in this fascinating volume, it is only one of many deadly encounters that took place within spitting distance of Fifth and Allen Streets. Illustrated throughout with period photographs and original illustrations, this is a fascinating book on a turbulent period of Arizona’s history.

I loved the history of this book and all the illustrations done by Bob Boze Bell and all the maps. If you’re into Tombstone or not it’s highly recommended.

Cheap Shot
06-26-2021, 08:53 AM
Has anyone read “Only cry for the Living” by Hollie McKay? I heard her on Stumpf’s podcast and thought she was fascinating. I will probably grab it at some point but I’m stacked up on existing books and magazines I need to finish first.

That looks like an important but difficult read.

Appreciate the heads up on the book and the podcast.

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Cry-Living-Battlefield-Foreword/dp/1942549636/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=only+cry+for+the+living&qid=1624715239&s=books&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMlVQQUJMVklTR0xSJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDQ2ODI4OExaMFIzQURBV1BKJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NjM2OTRBVEYzRjhPTFZEM0Mmd2lkZ2V0T mFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3R Mb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

NEPAKevin
06-26-2021, 12:57 PM
That looks like an important but difficult read.

Appreciate the heads up on the book and the podcast.

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Cry-Living-Battlefield-Foreword/dp/1942549636/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=only+cry+for+the+living&qid=1624715239&s=books&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMlVQQUJMVklTR0xSJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDQ2ODI4OExaMFIzQURBV1BKJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NjM2OTRBVEYzRjhPTFZEM0Mmd2lkZ2V0T mFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3R Mb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

FWIW, I sometimes find it easier to listen to non-fiction books. There is an Audible sample and I the Narrator/Author sounded pretty good (IMHO).

Glenn E. Meyer
07-01-2021, 12:46 PM
Trying to get into The Law of Innocence by Connelly. It's a Lincoln lawyer book and I don't get the plot. Seems silly as a premise. The book also takes massive hits on Trump and Trumpists. They are irrelevant to the plot and just seem to be editorial content. I'm not a Trump fan but it's an unneeded diversion.

Some reviewers compared it to Carl Hiassen's Squeeze which also savaged Trump world. However, that book is humor and satirical - so not out of place. That was it's purpose and a fun read.

Going through some DCI Banks, they get repetitive. The latest have a plot point that is forced and cliff hanger - I don't like those. Cheap way to get you to get the next book. Seems several authors with long running series are using the personal life cliff hanger to keep devoted readers around.

Bigguy
07-01-2021, 02:22 PM
Trying to get into The Law of Innocence by Connelly. It's a Lincoln lawyer book and I don't get the plot. Seems silly as a premise. The book also takes massive hits on Trump and Trumpists. They are irrelevant to the plot and just seem to be editorial content. I'm not a Trump fan but it's an unneeded diversion.

Some reviewers compared it to Carl Hiassen's Squeeze which also savaged Trump world. However, that book is humor and satirical - so not out of place. That was it's purpose and a fun read.

Going through some DCI Banks, they get repetitive. The latest have a plot point that is forced and cliff hanger - I don't like those. Cheap way to get you to get the next book. Seems several authors with long running series are using the personal life cliff hanger to keep devoted readers around.

It also seems to me that several of the big name authors are basically rewriting the same story over and over. I caught myself doing that with the second book in my "Mud" universe. A different guy was going to blow different people for a different reason, otherwise it was the same story. I even had the same protagonist. I stopped, then turned the bad guy into "the body" and changed the book from a thriller to a mystery. 15 chapters in. Heck, I might even finish it one day.

Coyotesfan97
07-13-2021, 04:24 PM
Mike Kupari’s new book The Family Business came out today. It’s purchased and I just started reading it. I’ve read samples and I’m looking forward to it.

“Decades ago, the Visitors descended on Earth. They claimed to bring peace and prosperity. Their real goal was the total subjugation of humankind. But humanity did not give up its only home without a fight.

After a devastating war, the Visitors were driven back to Mars. Their millions of willing human collaborators were left behind. The task of hunting down these former alien collaborators and bringing them to justice falls to Federal Recovery Agents like Nathan Foster.“

pyrotechnic
08-01-2021, 11:04 PM
I just finished "The Body Keeps the Score" by Bessel Van Der Kolk. I thought it was a really good read on Post Traumatic Stress in adults and children, how and why it occurs and a brief overview of treatments he has had success with as a clinician and as part of more rigorous research. As an uneducated layman I reccomend it to anyone interested in learning more about it.

757_Magnum
08-02-2021, 09:48 AM
Mike Kupari’s new book The Family Business came out today. It’s purchased and I just started reading it. I’ve read samples and I’m looking forward to it.

“Decades ago, the Visitors descended on Earth. They claimed to bring peace and prosperity. Their real goal was the total subjugation of humankind. But humanity did not give up its only home without a fight.

After a devastating war, the Visitors were driven back to Mars. Their millions of willing human collaborators were left behind. The task of hunting down these former alien collaborators and bringing them to justice falls to Federal Recovery Agents like Nathan Foster.“

I'll have to check that out. I picked up the 3rd book in the Dead Six series, but never got around to starting it.

rd62
08-02-2021, 11:46 AM

I may have to check this one out

Coyotesfan97
08-02-2021, 01:20 PM
I'll have to check that out. I picked up the 3rd book in the Dead Six series, but never got around to starting it.

Oh man you never read Alliance of Shadows? That’s a good one!

757_Magnum
08-02-2021, 01:32 PM
Oh man you never read Alliance of Shadows? That’s a good one!

I'm in the middle of Breaking God's by D.J. Molles. Once I finish it, I'll go back and re-read the previous Dead Six books before starting.

rd62
08-02-2021, 05:07 PM
I've been on a kick. Just finished Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. I'd started reading some of his hunting stories prior to our trip West and picked it up too. Short read but interesting insights into the troopers, campaign, and conditions.

Prior to that were Craig Johnson's An Obvious Fact and Western Star, both part of his Longmire mysteries. Oh, I read the Revenant, by Michael Punke in between. Almost forgot. It was another that hit the list as part of our western vacation. It was good and I use it to take excuses from my boys, i.e. "if Hugh Glass can crawl wounded and near death 300 miles with no supplies and survive you can pick up your shoes, or eat your beans, or whatever".

Currently on my desk is SGM Kyle Lamb's Leadership from the Shadows. I picked it up after running into him. Looking to help my team find some strength and motivation through the current industry and workforce challenges brought on by Covid.

Flamingo
08-02-2021, 05:14 PM
A Rifleman went to War (https://www.amazon.com/Rifleman-Went-War-Herbert-McBride/dp/1614271674) is a pretty interesting book about a US guy who joins the Canadian Army and sniping in WWI.

DDTSGM
08-08-2021, 12:24 AM
Just finished Four Hours of Fury: The Untold Story of World War II's Largest Airborne Invasion and the Final Push Into Nazi Germany by James Fenelon.

The book is about Operation Varsity, it's planning and execution. Of special interest to me was the information provided about the Glider-riders and the 17th Airborne Division.

I think Fenelon is a rising star, hope to read more of his work.

A better review than I could ever write: https://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/four-hours-fury

peterb
08-08-2021, 12:11 PM
Recent reading....

"A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962" by Alistair Horne. A excellent history of the French war in Algeria. Reading it now, one can see a lot of lessons not learned.
which lead me to
"The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French defeat in Vietnam" by Martin Windrow. Another excellent history.
which lead me to
"Valley of Decision: The Siege of Khe Sanh" by John Prados and Ray W. Stubbe. I'm having a hard time with this one. Very detailed, but doesn't read as easily as the Windrow book.

Other stuff:
"The Practicing Stoic: A Philosophical User's Manual" by Ward Farnsworth. An introduction to classical Stoic thought. It's interesting to see how much of what you hear in modern therapy talk ("It's not the thing, it's how you react to the thing...") was being discussed centuries ago.

"Flight of Fright" edited by Stephen King. An anthology of flying-related horror stories. Mildly entertaining fluff.

"Limbo: Blue-Collar Roots, White-Collar Dreams" by Alfred Lubrano. A look at why moving up leaves some folks feeling like they don't fit in either world.

"Draft #4: on the Writing Process" by John McPhee. Short essays on writing, with the quality you expect from McPhee. Which of course lead me to a collection of his short pieces....

Also partway through "River Horse" by William Least-Heat Moon. Fun account of trying to cross the country by water.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-09-2021, 05:49 PM
Layover in Dubai - Fesperman. Mild mystery thriller in Dubai. A pleasant CD when I was driving. Corruption, a good cop, American caught in a plot in the Middle East.

Coyotesfan97
08-10-2021, 12:30 AM
Monster Hunter International: Bloodlines by Larry Corriea the International Lord of Hate. This book continues the Owen Pitt saga and reveals the mystery of Chad’s daughter. If you haven’t read the series start with Monster Hunter International. The first chapter is awesome dealing with a boss who turns into a werewolf.

smokeman
08-10-2021, 10:51 AM
just finished The Sun Also Rises. not my favorite Hemingway work, but i like pretty much everything he's written

starting Great Expectations now

blues
08-10-2021, 10:54 AM
just finished The Sun Also Rises. not my favorite Hemingway work, but i like pretty much everything he's written

starting Great Expectations now

Two excellent books, especially the latter. A truly moving work.

Stephanie B
08-10-2021, 05:25 PM
You might enjoy "The Murderbot Diaries" by Martha Wells. I started on them right after I finished the Leckie's Justice series. They are short reads, but fun.

#5, "Network Effect" (https://www.amazon.com/Network-Effect-Murderbot-Novel-Diaries/dp/1250229863) is a full-length book. But they really do need to be read in order.

#5 was a book that I really did find hard to put down.

NEPAKevin
08-23-2021, 05:33 PM
Breathe A Life in Flow (https://www.amazon.com/Breathe-Life-Flow-Rickson-Gracie-ebook/dp/B08N1C4PBY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Breathe%3A+A+Life+in+Flow+Kindle+Edition&qid=1629757734&sr=8-1) Rickson Gracie
Started listening on Audible. Liking it a lot.

Cheap Shot
08-23-2021, 06:30 PM
Breathe A Life in Flow (https://www.amazon.com/Breathe-Life-Flow-Rickson-Gracie-ebook/dp/B08N1C4PBY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Breathe%3A+A+Life+in+Flow+Kindle+Edition&qid=1629757734&sr=8-1) Rickson Gracie
Started listening on Audible. Liking it a lot.

Jocko podcast with rickson. Made me get the book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt_8doJ6M4k

Bigguy
08-24-2021, 03:52 PM
I just started "Legends of Liberty" by Andrew Brown.

It's billed as:
"A mock-epic poem about the American Revolution featuring supernatural twists, historical icons with extraordinary powers, and action-filled battle scenes."

There is a pages long introduction by some English guy who uses every big word he can find in his thesaurus. The guy doesn't seem to think much of modern poets but favorably compares Brown to Byron. He makes the point that good poets are still quoted centuries later, giving Byron, Frost, and Shakespeare as examples. If true, this guy looks promising. On the first page, he gives a definition of Progress:

Progress n The state of taking a patronizing view towards one's acestors while repeating their mistakes with better technology; an article of faith among secularists.

That, my friends, is quotable.

NEPAKevin
08-31-2021, 01:00 PM
Jocko podcast with rickson. Made me get the book.

So I listened to some of the Podcast on Spotify and coincidentally had to go to the grocery store afterward. As I'm walking down the aisles, all I hear in my head is "Sugar... POISON! Chocolate... POISON! Coca-Cola... POISON! ..."
:)

blues
09-13-2021, 02:57 PM
I'm kind of shocked to say this because I'm generally extremely critical of books in this genre...but I'm actually enjoying "The Killer Collective" (https://www.amazon.com/Killer-Collective-Barry-Eisler-ebook/dp/B07DL1Y4GV) by Barry Eisler.

(I had it as a free book for being an amazon Prime member at some point.)

It's kept my interest, I've managed not to be overly critical...and Eisler is actually pretty knowledgeable and a good writer, both of which have surprised me.

I'm actually, (at the moment), looking forward to looking at some of his other work...unless the last third of the book puts me off completely.

feudist
09-13-2021, 11:46 PM
The Searchers and The Unforgiven by Alan Lemay.

Both made into classic movies but as usual the books have much greater depth. In particular Lemay(who was a contemporary of Elmer Keith's) grew up in what was formerly known as Comancheria, the West Texas frontier raided incessantly by the Comanche and Kiowa for 50 years. He had grandparents murdered and scalped and grew up steeped in Indian fighter and survival culture. This gives the books a pretty unique POV. He is distant enough and educated enough to represent both sides realistically, but without flinching or apologizing. The results are harsh, bleak stories of a bitter fight to the death between 2 cultures with absolutely no way of understanding each other, acting out an endless cycle of murder and reprisal.

Gun Mutt
09-15-2021, 12:56 PM
I'm kind of shocked to say this because I'm generally extremely critical of books in this genre...but I'm actually enjoying "The Killer Collective" (https://www.amazon.com/Killer-Collective-Barry-Eisler-ebook/dp/B07DL1Y4GV) by Barry Eisler.

It's kept my interest, I've managed not to be overly critical...and Eisler is actually pretty knowledgeable and a good writer, both of which have surprised me.

I'm actually, (at the moment), looking forward to looking at some of his other work...unless the last third of the book puts me off completely.

I believe I've read everything of Eisler's to date and I'm a fan.

blues
09-15-2021, 01:22 PM
I believe I've read everything of Eisler's to date and I'm a fan.

I don't think I'll make it through 50 something books, but I may read a few here and there.

Coyotesfan97
09-15-2021, 01:27 PM
I don't think I'll make it through 50 something books, but I may read a few here and there.

I’ve read a lot of the Rain series. I’d start there.

Gun Mutt
09-16-2021, 11:06 AM

Most of his Rain books have been republished under differing titles. Total number is way under 50. Hate it when publishers do that.

blues
09-16-2021, 11:17 AM
Most of his Rain books have been republished under differing titles. Total number is way under 50. Hate it when publishers do that.

I had already noticed that they were renamed after he changed publishers or self-published or whatever. I'm going to read another one out of order, "The Chaos Kind", and when I have, I'll decide if I want to go back to the beginning with the "Rain" series.

Thanks guys.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-26-2021, 09:17 AM
The Cellist by Daniel Silva.

I love Gabriel but this book is complex to review. The plot is standard Gabriel, a complicated plot to take down some bad guys but the motivation for the involvement of the Israeli covert operations is weak, just personal for Gabriel. He is usually more analytic.

Thus, that drags.

The book then veers to Trump. It is clear that it has editorial content as fiction that Trump is/was not a good president to say the least. Now if you are ok with that, fine. If you are a true believer, you will go hair on fire and run around a bit.

Reviews argue that Gabriel is suffering from too many book syndrome.

Next - the latest from Stuart Woods. I used to enjoy Stone Barrington as an amusing guy. This book makes his into a cold blooded murderer to solve his problems along with Dino (a police chief of NYC) as a clear co-conspirator. It really destroys the moral structure of the character. Stone was never pure but this is too far. While his actions caused some folks to meet their ends, it was more indirect. This is planning a murder.

Latest Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers team up - so, so. It was a terrible mistake to make Lucas a marshal. It removed him from a colorful milieu in MN and now his cases are rather forced. I sense he is being put out to pasture with Virgil taking over as the main part of the franchise.

Didn't like the last Mitch Rapp either. Hard to get through.

Jim Watson
09-26-2021, 11:31 AM
I have read a lot of Stone Barrington and consider it light entertainment. If Woods wants him to run amuck, let him go.

I agree that Lucas Davenport as a lone wolf pick his cases us marshal is far fetched.
Note that the next from Sandford has Letty Davenport as the lead.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-26-2021, 03:36 PM
Letty is a great character. From her taking on a rogue cop with a single shot 22S as a little girl to her one armed wounded take down of two cartel assassins with a 1911, she is a tough young woman and the latter is a great scene. Speaks for training!

She has a touch of Lucas' sociopathic world view of dealing with bad people. Lucas could fade into the background. Should she become an entry level LEO or something else? Interesting choices.

Stone lost a bit of his edge when he became super rich, I opine.

Don't want to spoil the Silva book but in it he hints at treason at the highest US levels.

Stephanie B
09-26-2021, 05:19 PM
X Troop: The Secret Jewish Commandos of World War II (https://www.amazon.com/Troop-Secret-Jewish-Commandos-World/dp/0358172039)

One revelation: When it came to petty-ass cruelties inflicted on Jewish refugees, the British were on par with the Gestapo. When a train with some refugees (with proper papers) was approaching the border, the Germans would throw the refugees' luggage out the windows of the train. Or, when stopped for the border, the Germans would make the Jews get off the train, put their bags on the platform and then open them up. The Germans would scatter their stuff around and then tell them they could go an signal the train to pull out, so that the refugees would have to leave their things behind.

On ships carrying refugees from Britain to Ireland or Australia, the soldiers acting as guards would throw refugees' belongings over the side. Many of them arrived at the refugee camps with only the clothes on their backs.

But I couldn't get into this book. Something felt....off. I closed it after about eighty pages and dropped it back off at the library,

blues
09-26-2021, 05:28 PM
X Troop: The Secret Jewish Commandos of World War II (https://www.amazon.com/Troop-Secret-Jewish-Commandos-World/dp/0358172039)

One revelation: When it came to petty-ass cruelties inflicted on Jewish refugees, the British were on par with the Gestapo. When a train with some refugees (with proper papers) was approaching the border, the Germans would throw the refugees' luggage out the windows of the train. Or, when stopped for the border, the Germans would make the Jews get off the train, put their bags on the platform and then open them up. The Germans would scatter their stuff around and then tell them they could go an signal the train to pull out, so that the refugees would have to leave their things behind.

On ships carrying refugees from Britain to Ireland or Australia, the soldiers acting as guards would throw refugees' belongings over the side. Many of them arrived at the refugee camps with only the clothes on their backs.

But I couldn't get into this book. Something felt....off. I closed it after about eighty pages and dropped it back off at the library,

A happier anecdote...

A friend I grew up with...his father a British soldier in WWII, liberated his mother, a young Polish internee, from Bergen Belsen. They were (mostly) happily married for decades afterward. She always (understandably) seemed dour, while he was always quick with a joke and found the lighter side of things. A nicer man you'd never meet.

RIP Leon.

rcbusmc24
09-26-2021, 08:17 PM
The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion

By Jonathan Haidt
Non Fiction - Psychology/ Philosophy

Drawing on his twenty-five years of groundbreaking research on moral psychology, social psychologist Jonathan Haidt shows how moral judgments arise not from reason but from gut feelings. He shows why liberals, conservatives, and libertarians have such different intuitions about right and wrong, and he shows why each side is actually right about many of its central concerns.

In this subtle yet accessible book, Haidt gives you the key to understanding the miracle of human cooperation, as well as the curse of our eternal divisions and conflicts. If you’re ready to trade in anger for understanding, read The Righteous Mind.

https://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Mind-Divided-Politics-Religion/dp/0307455777/ref=sr_1_1?crid=BQLS8X5RD1ME&dchild=1&keywords=the+righteous+mind+by+jonathan+haidt&qid=1632705232&sprefix=the+rightoeus%2Caps%2C241&sr=8-1

DDTSGM
09-26-2021, 08:42 PM
Amazon one-click makes it too easy to buy things!

Guerrero
09-27-2021, 01:55 PM
A few weeks ago, I reread "Clear and Present Danger" by Tom Clancy. I had read it a couple time before maybe 25 and 30 years ago, and my worn-out paperback was still on my shelf.

The bad:
1) I realized that I'm not into Tom Clancy's writing style any more. His prose is just not that great; his real draw is the technology and the intelligence info. He write is a pulp-author kind of way, and CaPD has a few ham-handed foreshadowing phrases that made my eyes roll, along the lines of "He could not see now how big a mistake this would turn out to be..."

2) Way to many moving parts. The cast of characters in this book was huge, considering the story. I had to keep looking back to see who joe FBI dude in Alabama was (for example), and Clancy could have omitted a bunch of minor plot lines.

3) He needs an editor: on a related note, several of the above characters we could do without, and their plots simplified.

4) Jack Who?: for being a Jack Ryan novel, he's pretty inconsequential to the book until about 3/4 of the way through. Clancy could have substituted in just about any analyst-type and it would have been just as interesting.

The good:
1) The main plot is well done, with a plausible story. The back-cover blurb is one of those "Ripped from the headlines!" sorts, but in this case, it's true.

2) Clancy did his homework. Extrapolating from the copyright date, Clancy probably wrote this in 1988-89. At that time, the world at large didn't know too much about Pablo Escobar (on whom the novel's villain is clearly based). Having read "Killing Pablo" by Mark Bowden, Clancy had a whole bunch of details that were spot-on (some of them were dramatized) to the real Cartel operation, down to a couple of the minor characters who were really close to real-world people. True to Clancy's strengths, the tech used against the Cartel was in line with what we really used.

3) Most of the main characters are good, Chavez (in his novel debut) and Clark especially, though Clark is already Mr. SEAL Force Ranger Ninja Recon Squad 6.

4) The ending still gets me. As mentioned above, the novel has about 20,000 plot threads, but the main ones get pulled together at the end in a very dramatic way that I still like after all these years.

The Verdict:
A bit dated and long in the tooth, but worth reading at least once, ever more than 30 years after first publication.

Darth_Uno
09-27-2021, 02:57 PM
Just wrapped The Wisdom of Crowds, the third book in Joe Abercrombie's latest First Law trilogy.

I'd have to dig back to see what I posted about it so far, but this is easily my favorite series and author.

(Stormlight Archives and Chronicles of the Black Company are both very close seconds.)

Moylan
09-27-2021, 03:42 PM
We have all the original Richard Scarry books, which are great. (Then there are all the books put out by his estate after he died, which are not worth buying.) But back when we were the parents of kids who were the right age for Richard Scarry, you really couldn't get ahold of the unabridged version of What Do People Do All Day? The abridged version is something like 60 pages, and the unabridged is about 90. I looked around for the real version sporadically, but it was always expensive if you could find a copy. Evidently, somebody finally realized this book should be available again, and so...it is. https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/248265/richard-scarrys-what-do-people-do-all-day-by-written-and-illustrated-by-richard-scarry/

Just bought a copy for a friend with young kids. :D

Coyotesfan97
09-27-2021, 04:40 PM
We have all the original Richard Scarry books, which are great. (Then there are all the books put out by his estate after he died, which are not worth buying.) But back when we were the parents of kids who were the right age for Richard Scarry, you really couldn't get ahold of the unabridged version of What Do People Do All Day? The abridged version is something like 60 pages, and the unabridged is about 90. I looked around for the real version sporadically, but it was always expensive if you could find a copy. Evidently, somebody finally realized this book should be available again, and so...it is. https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/248265/richard-scarrys-what-do-people-do-all-day-by-written-and-illustrated-by-richard-scarry/

Just bought a copy for a friend with young kids. :D

Cars and Trucks and thing that go!

I also saw Make Way For Ducklings which was one of my favorites.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/305281/make-way-for-ducklings-75th-anniversary-edition-by-robert-mccloskey/

The Story of Ferdinand

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/555318/the-story-of-ferdinand-by-munro-leaf-illustrated-by-robert-lawson/

The StoryAbout Ping

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/315987/the-story-about-ping-by-marjorie-flack-illustrated-by-kurt-wiese/

Moylan
09-27-2021, 04:51 PM
Cars and Trucks and thing that go!

That was the favorite here. Where's Goldbug?

feudist
09-28-2021, 12:13 AM
Deadman's Crossing by Joe Lansdale. Weird West genre.

The Reverend Jebidiah Mercer is an obedient servant of God. To that end he wanders the West with his matched pair of ivory gripped Colt's .44 cartridge conversion loaded with silver bullets looking for capital E Evil. When he finds It he sends It to Hell. Or, back to Hell.
He fears and hates God and only serves him because he fears Hell. His philosophy is "You're born, you suffer and then you're punished."
So, in 4 stories we observe as he finds assorted beasts, monsters, rival gods and lost souls and without "pity, or fear, or remorse" kills them. He's not doing it for Goodness and Justice, he's rubbing out the competition or punishing God's wayward employees.
The author has a wry eye for humor/horror and his hopeless protagonist is sharply drawn as a man who disturbs anyone who encounters him-that lives to tell about it, because he doesn't hide what he doing or Who for. And his opinion of Them.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-14-2021, 09:02 AM
Relentless - a Grey Men novel.

Hadn't read this series before and picked it up at the library. Hero is the usual super ninja spy but this time he is sick due to a past injury and that's a handicap. Liked that for a touch in this kind of bug. Complicated but interesting plot. Ends with the typical corrupt government after him. Just a minor cliche for a good read.

Stephanie B
10-27-2021, 04:18 PM
The Speckled Beauty: A Dog and His People, Lost and Found (https://www.amazon.com/Speckled-Beauty-People-Lost-Found/dp/0525658815) by Rick Bragg.

Some book reviewer said that it was "warm-hearted and hilarious". I thought it was pretty damned melancholy.

pyrotechnic
10-31-2021, 10:13 AM
Just wrapped The Wisdom of Crowds, the third book in Joe Abercrombie's latest First Law trilogy.

I'd have to dig back to see what I posted about it so far, but this is easily my favorite series and author.

(Stormlight Archives and Chronicles of the Black Company are both very close seconds.)

I just fininished up "Wisdom of Crowds" as well. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The entirety of the First Law books are fantastic.

MickAK
10-31-2021, 11:11 AM
CHAOS: Charles Manson, The CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties

This is a book I didn't really want to read, but my wife kept bugging me so I did.

I'm far from uninformed about the various shenanigans our government got up to during the Cold War but in general books tying those into specific events tend to be poorly done. There was a lot of institutional incompetence during that time as well, and that tends to be glossed over in eagerness and you end up with statements like the CIA is responsible for the Crack Epidemic.

If there's anything missing, well, they're just hiding it. That's their thing, after all.

This isn't that. The author is an extremely reluctant conspiracy theorist. He spent decades on this book. The case laid out is skeptical, thoroughly researched and no wild leaps of faith are required.

You feel for the author. You can feel him getting sucked in against his will. I've read other works that are the result of decades of obsession and often you can feel the mental illness come off the pages. The author did a good job of keeping himself grounded, and he resists the temptation of tying everything up neatly to justify the years.

Heartily recommend.

Darth_Uno
11-01-2021, 02:20 PM
I just fininished up "Wisdom of Crowds" as well. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The entirety of the First Law books are fantastic.

Shattered Seas trilogy is great as well. It's like they said, "Joe, YA books are where the money's at. You have to write one." So he made the POV characters a little bit younger, took out all the swearing, pretty much left everything else the same and said, "Here ya go."

feudist
11-01-2021, 11:56 PM
Reread for the umpteenth time To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth.

Got the Kindle version for 8.99.

Now rereading Fireworks, also 8.99.

Cooper was an elegant and witty writer. My God if he could see the current mess.

He first called Biden "A lickspittle lapdog of the lunatic left" 3 decades ago.

Stephanie B
11-13-2021, 08:55 PM
“The Dope”, by Benjamin Smith, a history of the Mexican drug trade.

Reading it, I have to wonder why we just can’t admit that the various wars and campaigns against drug trafficking are like shoveling shit against the tide and that we should legalize drug use. But that’s not going to happen, too many people would be out of a job.

blues
11-13-2021, 10:26 PM
“The Dope”, by Benjamin Smith, a history of the Mexican drug trade.

Reading it, I have to wonder why we just can’t admit that the various wars and campaigns against drug trafficking are like shoveling shit against the tide and that we should legalize drug use. But that’s not going to happen, too many people would be out of a job.

And somehow we haven't been able to solve the crime problem either...but the Dems are heading toward a solution. No bail, no jail. It's all good.

(And I agree that the "war" on drugs has been very bittersweet. I'll leave it at that as it deserves more than just a line for an answer. (No pun intended.)

Glenn E. Meyer
11-14-2021, 09:11 AM
The Ottoman Endgame: War, Revolution, and the Making of the Modern Middle East, 1908-1923
Sean McMeekin

A period of history that I didn't know much about. Of course, we are still fighting the fallout of the machinations of the Turks, Russians, British, Arabs, French, Balkans, Caucasus states, etc.

BehindBlueI's
11-15-2021, 08:58 PM
Hawkwood's Sword: https://www.amazon.com/Hawkwoods-Sword-Christian-Cameron-ebook/dp/B08QHTPR1G

$1.99 right now. I paid $11.76 for it last month, and it was worth it.

5th book of the "Chivalry" series, which several people here recommended. I've enjoyed them all, and this one was perhaps my favorite.

Stephanie B
12-02-2021, 02:49 PM
You might enjoy "The Murderbot Diaries" by Martha Wells. I started on them right after I finished the Leckie's Justice series. They are short reads, but fun.

There is a short story prequel (https://www.wired.com/story/future-of-work-compulsory-martha-wells/).

Stephanie B
12-03-2021, 11:19 AM
The Dark Hours (https://smile.amazon.com/Hours-Renée-Ballard-Harry-Bosch/dp/0316485640), by Michael Connelly. It's the fourth Bosch-Ballard book. Bosch is moving into the supporting character role.

Which makes sense, given that the books are contemporary and that Harry is in his early 70s.

blues
12-03-2021, 11:25 AM
The Dark Hours (https://smile.amazon.com/Hours-Renée-Ballard-Harry-Bosch/dp/0316485640), by Michael Connelly. It's the fourth Bosch-Ballard book. Bosch is moving into the supporting character role.

Which makes sense, given that the books are contemporary and that Harry is in his early 70s.

I didn't love this book, though it had moments.

It was VERY repetitive...and harped on the same few themes ad nauseum.

I'm still a fan overall, but some of it was mailed in and the preaching could be kept to a lower roar.

Stephanie B
12-03-2021, 11:49 AM
I didn't love this book, though it had moments.

It was VERY repetitive...and harped on the same few themes ad nauseum.

I'm still a fan overall, but some of it was mailed in and the preaching could be kept to a lower roar.

Connelly's got a long way to go until he gets to being as bad as Patricia Cornwall. :p

What I like is that he's staying somewhat contemporary. It has to make researching the details a lot easier. And he's not embodying Bosch with age-defying abilities (unlike Mike Hammer and Spencer).

MK11
12-03-2021, 12:21 PM
Hawkwood's Sword: https://www.amazon.com/Hawkwoods-Sword-Christian-Cameron-ebook/dp/B08QHTPR1G

$1.99 right now. I paid $11.76 for it last month, and it was worth it.

5th book of the "Chivalry" series, which several people here recommended. I've enjoyed them all, and this one was perhaps my favorite.

For the Christian Cameron fans, he's got a new entry out in his Tom Swan serials: https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Swan-Keys-Saint-Peter-ebook/dp/B093ZP6QB6

feudist
12-03-2021, 12:29 PM
For the Christian Cameron fans, he's got a new entry out in his Tom Swan serials: https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Swan-Keys-Saint-Peter-ebook/dp/B093ZP6QB6

These are just as good as the Long Sword series IMO.

Lon
12-26-2021, 10:41 PM

I know the author, Doyle Burke. Long time Dayton homicide detective. Good read. Not super technical or filled with legalese. Just good true crime story telling. Available on Amazon and Inkshares.com.

BobM
12-26-2021, 11:04 PM

I know the author, Doyle Burke. Long time Dayton homicide detective. Good read. Not super technical or filled with legalese. Just good true crime story telling. Available on Amazon and Inkshares.com.

I thought I’d heard he was releasing a book.

0ddl0t
01-02-2022, 03:55 AM
It started a bit slow, but I enjoyed Where the Crawdads Sing

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1582135294l/36809135._SY475_.jpg

Cheap Shot
01-02-2022, 12:50 PM

Cheap Shot
01-02-2022, 12:53 PM

Nick Mason has already spent five years inside a maximum security prison when an offer comes that will grant his release twenty years early. He accepts—but the deal comes with a terrible price.

Now, back on the streets, Nick Mason has a new house, a new car, money to burn, and a beautiful roommate. He’s returned to society, but he's still a prisoner. Whenever his cell phone rings, day or night, Nick must answer it and follow whatever order he is given. It’s the deal he made with Darius Cole, a criminal mastermind serving a double-life term who runs an empire from his prison cell.

Forced to commit increasingly more dangerous crimes, hunted by the relentless detective who put him behind bars, and desperate to go straight and rebuild his life with his daughter and ex-wife, Nick will ultimately have to risk everything—his family, his sanity, and even his life—to finally break free.

Worth reading

Bigguy
01-02-2022, 06:39 PM
It started a bit slow, but I enjoyed Where the Crawdads Sing

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1582135294l/36809135._SY475_.jpg

My review on Goodreads. (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4118214332)

Stephanie B
01-02-2022, 07:26 PM

His Alex McKnight series, beginning with A Cold Day in Paradise (https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Day-Paradise-McKnight-Novels/dp/1250012686/) is worth reading.

Stephanie B
01-03-2022, 10:08 AM
Daughter of the Morning Star (https:/www.amazon.com/Daughter-Morning-Star-Longmire-Mystery/dp/0593297253/)

The book is laced with fictional Indian mysticism (at least, it doesn't come up on a search). The way the ending is set up, it could be the last book in the series. Guess we'll have to see.

But dammit, is Craig Johnson the only person in Wyoming who has never seen or shot a 19111? It sure reads like it. After the umptteenth mention of Walt's "large-framed Colt", I wanted to throw the book across the room. Except it's from the library and all library books get treated with respect.

blues
01-08-2022, 04:27 PM
An intriguing read...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51HN1acWCoL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

DDTSGM
01-09-2022, 12:31 AM
Daughter of the Morning Star (https:/www.amazon.com/Daughter-Morning-Star-Longmire-Mystery/dp/0593297253/)

The book is laced with fictional Indian mysticism (at least, it doesn't come up on a search). The way the ending is set up, it could be the last book in the series. Guess we'll have to see.

But dammit, is Craig Johnson the only person in Wyoming who has never seen or shot a 19111? It sure reads like it. After the umptteenth mention of Walt's "large-framed Colt", I wanted to throw the book across the room. Except it's from the library and all library books get treated with respect.

You have to go some to beat some of the stuff Lee Child puts out in his Jack Reacher novels.

And, according to his page, Johnson has another book due out September 2022:

Hell and Back

Picking up where Daughter of the Morning Star left off, the next Longmire novel finds the sheriff digging further into the mysteries of "the wandering without"--a mythical all-knowing spiritual being that devours souls.

Walt thinks he might find the answers he's looking for among the ruins of an old Native American boarding school--an institution designed to strip Native children of their heritage. He has been haunted by the image of the Fort Pratt Industrial Indian Training School ever since he first saw a faded postcard picturing a hundred boys in uniform, in front of a large, ominous building--a postcard that was given to him by Jimmy Lane, the father of Jeanie One Moon.

After Walt's initial investigation into Jeanie's disappearance yielded no satisfying conclusions, Walt has to confront the fact that he may be dealing with an adversary unlike any he has ever faced before.

Stephanie B
01-09-2022, 10:07 AM
You have to go some to beat some of the stuff Lee Child puts out in his Jack Reacher novels.

I quit reading the Reacher series a long time ago. The books became "same shit, different town".

And, according to his page, Johnson has another book due out September 2022:

Hell and Back

Picking up where Daughter of the Morning Star left off, the next Longmire novel finds the sheriff digging further into the mysteries of "the wandering without"--a mythical all-knowing spiritual being that devours souls.

Walt thinks he might find the answers he's looking for among the ruins of an old Native American boarding school--an institution designed to strip Native children of their heritage. He has been haunted by the image of the Fort Pratt Industrial Indian Training School ever since he first saw a faded postcard picturing a hundred boys in uniform, in front of a large, ominous building--a postcard that was given to him by Jimmy Lane, the father of Jeanie One Moon.

After Walt's initial investigation into Jeanie's disappearance yielded no satisfying conclusions, Walt has to confront the fact that he may be dealing with an adversary unlike any he has ever faced before.

That's going to be a "get this from the town library" book. I was happy that Johnson had wrapped up the "sheriff from one of the least populated counties in America takes on a international assassin" arc, but this one is pretty whacky.

GearFondler
01-09-2022, 10:37 AM
I quit reading the Reacher series a long time ago. The books became "same shit, different town".

Like how big of a shit-magnet can one guy be, lol?
Reminds me of my late father-in-law who used to say if he ever saw Angela Lansbury he'd run like hell because somebody was about to get murdered.
To make it work in my mind the character either has to be a detective who people know to bring their troubles to, or an investigator who gets sent to where some shit has already happened. Having a person who just randomly wanders around continuously stumbling into clusterfucks just doesn't make sense... Unless that's his superpower.

Wondering Beard
01-09-2022, 10:53 AM
Having a person who just randomly wanders around continuously stumbling into clusterfucks just doesn't make sense... Unless that's his superpower.

Which could make for a fun series if the author has a great sense of humor.

blues
01-09-2022, 11:01 AM
Having a person who just randomly wanders around continuously stumbling into clusterfucks just doesn't make sense... Unless that's his superpower.

Which could make for a fun series if the author has a great sense of humor.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/09/03/us/00dc-BEAU/merlin_182551614_f24f4e8f-a3c9-4dcf-989e-5104c6c925a6-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

"C'mon, man!"

Stephanie B
01-09-2022, 04:46 PM
Like how big of a shit-magnet can one guy be, lol?
Reminds me of my late father-in-law who used to say if he ever saw Angela Lansbury he'd run like hell because somebody was about to get murdered.
To make it work in my mind the character either has to be a detective who people know to bring their troubles to, or an investigator who gets sent to where some shit has already happened. Having a person who just randomly wanders around continuously stumbling into clusterfucks just doesn't make sense... Unless that's his superpower.

A terrific cellphone app would sound an alarm for the approach of tornados, floods, hurricanes, wildfires and Jack Reacher.

Wondering Beard
01-09-2022, 06:25 PM
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/09/03/us/00dc-BEAU/merlin_182551614_f24f4e8f-a3c9-4dcf-989e-5104c6c925a6-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

"C'mon, man!"

Somehow, I'm not sure the author of that story has such a great sense of humor ... existential dread with a dollop of surrealism is as far as I'll go.

TNK
01-10-2022, 02:30 AM
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Are humans motivated by pleasure or pain? Huxley believed it is pleasure until he died in 1963 (the same day as JFK). Love your servitude. And we do.

High Cross
01-10-2022, 12:05 PM
Ghost by Fred Burton; Beruit Rules by Fred Burton

Glenn E. Meyer
01-11-2022, 12:06 PM
Absolute madness
Pelonero, Catherine

Listening to it in the car. About a serial killer spree against Black men in Buffalo, NYC, Rochester. I know all the areas - we moved away before these occurred. Glad we weren't there for them. Sounded pretty awful for the victims and the city.

Wyoming Shooter
01-13-2022, 10:52 AM

I really enjoyed the Audible version. Thanks!

MickAK
02-03-2022, 12:24 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Enemy-All-Mankind-Historys-Manhunt/dp/0735211604

Really good description of one of the boldest robberies in the history of humanity. Goes a bit overboard trying to assimilate modern morality with 17th century pirates but that's sort of unavoidable these days. Ghost Map by the same author is what I'm reading now.

I knew the story prior to reading the book but I had no idea the first trial for piracy resulted in 'Nah, those boys were just having fun with foreigners' and they had to have a second trial specifically focused on not portraying England as an island of pirates. The weirder results of English common law gives a lot of perspective on why our legal system functions as it does today.

Le Français
02-03-2022, 08:55 AM
blues, if you like Barry Eisler’s work, you might enjoy his website, where he has a long list of corrections solicited from from knowledgeable readers. There are a couple of mistaken "corrections" (no, a P35 slide will not tear your hand to pieces if you hold it during firing), but overall it’s an unusual sign of humility and openness to learning.

https://www.barryeisler.com/mistakes/

blues
02-03-2022, 08:59 AM
blues, if you like Barry Eisler’s work, you might enjoy his website, where he has a long list of corrections solicited from from knowledgeable readers. There are a couple of mistaken "corrections" (no, a P35 slide will not tear your hand to pieces if you hold it during firing), but overall it’s an unusual sign of humility and openness to learning.

https://www.barryeisler.com/mistakes/

Le Français

Thanks, brother. I made it through a few books before I just couldn't go on...but I do appreciate it.

I especially liked the two more recent books mentioned above where several of his protagonists join forces. After those, it started bogging down for me.

That said, he's clearly a bright guy, and has good command of the language.

Le Français
02-03-2022, 09:05 AM
Le Français

Thanks, brother. I made it through a few books before I just couldn't go on...but I do appreciate it.

I especially liked the two more recent books mentioned above where several of his protagonists join forces. After those, it started bogging down for me.

That said, he's clearly a bright guy, and has good command of the language.

I prefer the earlier ones, where Rain is alone (or almost). Once a lot of relationships and emotion get involved, Eisler triggers too many eye rolls for me to keep my eyes on the page. He is a talented writer (and a fan of Fred Perrin).

blues
02-03-2022, 10:14 AM
I prefer the earlier ones, where Rain is alone (or almost). Once a lot of relationships and emotion get involved, Eisler triggers too many eye rolls for me to keep my eyes on the page. He is a talented writer (and a fan of Fred Perrin).

Le Français

I got through a couple of the early Rain books...but I felt like I was on a treadmill after a while. (I enjoyed the jazz references.)

I also noticed the Perrin mentions. I felt like reaching out to Eisler and telling him the story of how Fred got me saddled with my first internal affairs investigation years ago. :rolleyes:

Glenn E. Meyer
02-03-2022, 03:54 PM
Absolute madness
Pelonero, Catherine

Listening to it in the car. About a serial killer spree against Black men in Buffalo, NYC, Rochester. I know all the areas - we moved away before these occurred. Glad we weren't there for them. Sounded pretty awful for the victims and the city.

Finished the book. I was impressed by some of the police officers on the cases, psychiatrists and lawyers. I was very unimpressed by some of the legal folks involved who played politics with the case and some of the psychiatrists who had shaky credentials and produced diagnoses of the killer driven political demands and wanting to be in the pocket of the prosecution. Unqualified folks who came up with evaluations in a few minutes and/or got tremendous amounts of money for the 'right' diagnosis (mentally competent).

Shaky credentials - failed the psychiatric board tests numerous times, another was a Holocaust denier of major proportions. The DAs searched to get these guys who were known always to find someone competent.

DA - shaky bits - there were two sets of killings in Buffalo. One was black men with a Ruger 10/22. The other set was two black cab drivers, stabbed and mutilated. The first killing were done by the subject of the book. However, the DAs wanted to pin the second two on the guy for political pressure reasons. However, it was clear to the detectives that the stabbings were some gambling related crime gang things. The killer who was nuts - confessed to them with a BS confession that was totally contradicted by the actual facts of how it was done. The cops knew this but the DAs never read their reports and bought the bogus confessions for PR and glory.

There was also killings in NYC and Rochester by the killer but not relevant to the Buffalo story.

The killer was clearly mentally incompetent to stand trial. Adversarial experts - I guess that is the way it works but it doesn't serve justice well.

--------- Case White - the Invasion of Poland. Didn't know that much about what actually happened, so it was interesting. The Poles didn't stand a chance in terms of resources and equipment. Tactically, they weren't up to meeting the Germans and then the Russians. The book has a blind spot about the Holocaust when it talks about the occupation after the defeat. Doesn't mention it as an outcome.

Wondering Beard
02-04-2022, 07:26 PM
This book is not out yet but many here may find it interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVqmhae0jDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6qGHHQTrn8

Wondering Beard
02-05-2022, 12:05 AM
This book is not out yet but many here may find it interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVqmhae0jDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6qGHHQTrn8

Apparently this isn't going to happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymu5S6zbIvc

Coyotesfan97
02-05-2022, 09:08 PM
I got on a little hockey bender. I’ve read Mr Hockey by Gordie Howe, Orr by Bobbie Orr, and 99 Stories of Hockey by Wayne Gretzky. Of the three I liked Mr Hockey the best.

blues
02-05-2022, 09:24 PM
I got on a little hockey bender. I’ve read Mr Hockey by Gordie Howe, Orr by Bobbie Orr, and 99 Stories of Hockey by Wayne Gretzky. Of the three I liked Mr Hockey the best.

I saw him play against the Rangers at MSG back in the day. Mr. Hockey indeed.

Coyotesfan97
02-05-2022, 09:38 PM
I saw him play against the Rangers at MSG back in the day. Mr. Hockey indeed.

I was just watching some videos of him playing. Old school hockey. He kept his space clear with his elbows and he remembered numbers. I wouldn’t want him looking for payback.

blues
02-05-2022, 10:06 PM
I was just watching some videos of him playing. Old school hockey. He kept his space clear with his elbows and he remembered numbers. I wouldn’t want him looking for payback.

Gordie Howe hat trick...Goal, Assist, Fight

peterb
02-06-2022, 07:44 AM
A second volume of “What If?” by Randall Munroe coming out later this year. https://xkcd.com/what-if-2/

The original is great for kicking off fun science discussions with older kids. https://xkcd.com/what-if/

DDTSGM
02-06-2022, 09:43 PM
Just finished Code Girls by Liza Mundy. It is about the creation of the U.S. code breaking 'factories' of WWII and the women who carried the water. I found it interesting.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/code-girls-untold-story-american-women-code-breakers-world-war-ii

Three quarters through Dragon's Jaw: An Epic Story of Courage and Tenacity in Vietnam by Stephen Coonts and Barrett Tillman. his book is about the Navy's and Air Force's sisyphean efforts to destroy the bridge at Thanh Hoa, North Viet Nam, which was called the Dragon's Jaw. It is a not only a sortie-by-sortie look at the missions flown against the bridge, it covers the actions by the Jojnson administration with ensured the futility of the task. A good read if you are interested in the history of the VN conflict.

https://francieandfinch.indielite.org/book/9780306903458

Caballoflaco
02-06-2022, 10:03 PM
Found a good Blog on Naval Avaition by aeronautical engineer Tommy H Thomason.

http://thanlont.blogspot.com/?m=1

Bigguy
02-07-2022, 04:08 PM
I put the book “Maus” on hold at the public library a couple of weeks ago. It’s still out, with several people ahead of me. It’s not available on local book store shelves. You can order it, but no telling how long you’ll have to wait.

My question is this. Where do I apply to have my books banned?

revchuck38
02-07-2022, 04:52 PM
Maus was taken off the reading list for middle school kids in a few schools. It wasn't banned anywhere.

When I was in sixth or seventh grade, my class was assigned Huckleberry Finn. I guess I was scarred for life. :rolleyes:

Coyotesfan97
02-07-2022, 05:52 PM
I put the book “Maus” on hold at the public library a couple of weeks ago. It’s still out, with several people ahead of me. It’s not available on local book store shelves. You can order it, but no telling how long you’ll have to wait.

My question is this. Where do I apply to have my books banned?

Go to your local firehouse. Ask for Form 451

Bigguy
02-07-2022, 08:12 PM
Go to your local firehouse. Ask for Form 451

Took a second. You're dating yourself.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-13-2022, 05:48 PM
The Island by Coes - a Mitch Rapp type vs. terrorist plot. Mildly readable but the ending falls into more than the usual disbelief. Folks fight with full auto AR-15s which they switch to semimanual. Ok - that's nice.

MickAK
02-16-2022, 10:20 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Map-Londons-Terrifying-Epidemic/dp/1594482691

Excellent book covering one of London's worst cholera epidemics and the struggles of one doctor to prove that it might be in the water, against the overwhelming consensus of the medical establishment that it was bad air and poor morals.

The ending is a bit, um, hopeful for the future considering recent events but it's still an incredibly well done book. Highly recommend.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-17-2022, 12:48 PM
Fuzz: When Nature Breaks the Law
by Roach, Mary

Really interesting book on agencies, military, etc. dealing with dangerous animals and plants.

Discussion of how to shoot a big critter when it is attacking a buddy. The team formation for going after a dangerous carnivore. How trees attack.

Bigguy
02-24-2022, 03:14 PM
Maus
5/5

I got a copy of this from my local public library. (Sorry Amazon) I put a hold on it and had to wait more than four weeks before it was available. There is a reason this book is in so much demand.
It is in graphic novel format, so I had a tendency to take it as a lite weight. I couldn’t have been more wrong. The story will stand with such works as “Schindler’s List” and “The Diary of Ann Frank.”
It takes place on two time lines. We open in the 1980s with a son trying to get emotionally in touch with his father as he interviews him for his story. The other time line follows memories of the old man through the holocaust.
I got so wrapped up in the story that I missed the graphic elements. Looking back, I see there there is a lot of symbolism, and possibly messaging, in the art. Different nationalities are portrayed as different animals. I don’t understand what the author is saying by the way he changes the visual representation. Sometimes the characters are drawn as anthropomorphic animals, other times as humans wearing wearing animal masks.
This is a fantastic work of an important time, told by the last of a generation who lived it.
I highly recommend this book. It should be required reading in public schools.

Coyotesfan97
02-24-2022, 04:22 PM
Maus
5/5

I got a copy of this from my local public library. (Sorry Amazon) I put a hold on it and had to wait more than four weeks before it was available. There is a reason this book is in so much demand.
It is in graphic novel format, so I had a tendency to take it as a lite weight. I couldn’t have been more wrong. The story will stand with such works as “Schindler’s List” and “The Diary of Ann Frank.”
It takes place on two time lines. We open in the 1980s with a son trying to get emotionally in touch with his father as he interviews him for his story. The other time line follows memories of the old man through the holocaust.
I got so wrapped up in the story that I missed the graphic elements. Looking back, I see there there is a lot of symbolism, and possibly messaging, in the art. Different nationalities are portrayed as different animals. I don’t understand what the author is saying by the way he changes the visual representation. Sometimes the characters are drawn as anthropomorphic animals, other times as humans wearing wearing animal masks.
This is a fantastic work of an important time, told by the last of a generation who lived it.
I highly recommend this book. It should be required reading in public schools.

My copy of Maus II should arrive late February early March.

Bigguy
02-24-2022, 09:59 PM
Maus was taken off the reading list for middle school kids in a few schools. It wasn't banned anywhere.

When I was in sixth or seventh grade, my class was assigned Huckleberry Finn. I guess I was scarred for life. :rolleyes:

Actually, it as banned by the Tennessee school board. (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/maus-becomes-bestseller-after-tennessee-school-ban-180979499/)

revchuck38
02-24-2022, 10:12 PM
Actually, it as banned by the Tennessee school board. (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/maus-becomes-bestseller-after-tennessee-school-ban-180979499/)

No, it wasn't banned. It was taken off the reading list. None of the kids will go to jail for reading it after school, nor will their parents be sent to re-education camps for letting their kids read it. Remember, one doesn't have to be literate to be a journalist. That's just clickbait.

Artemas2
02-24-2022, 10:21 PM
The Rushing Winter series by Aaron Cowan(Sage Dynamics) has been consistently pretty good. I just finished book 6 the other day and enjoyed it quite a bit. The story is a bit like Jason Borne or Mitch Rapp; a highly trained assassin who rebels and tries to discover himself kinda thing. As the series progresses the story gets fairly deep with lots of characters and organizations and some decent lore. The action can be pretty over the top in places, but still feels grounded due to how it is written and how the character develops over time.

Cowan does pretty well for not primarily being a writer and I think the books do get better as the series goes on, however they all suffer a bit from excessive wordiness in places and can drag from time to time and there are a couple editing/proof reading errors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053Y2HDQ?notRedirectToSDP=1&ref_=dbs_mng_calw_0&storeType=ebooks

Bigguy
02-25-2022, 07:24 AM
No, it wasn't banned. It was taken off the reading list. None of the kids will go to jail for reading it after school, nor will their parents be sent to re-education camps for letting their kids read it. Remember, one doesn't have to be literate to be a journalist. That's just clickbait.

Read the link. It was banned.

revchuck38
02-25-2022, 07:42 AM
Read the link. It was banned.

I read the link. "Banned" means it is not legally available under any circumstances, and that there are negative legal consequences for possessing it. A school board doesn't have the authority to ban a book, and if they tried it would be immediately shot down on First Amendment grounds. They do have the authority to remove a book from a school's reading list, which is what happened here. Kids are free to buy it or check it out of the public library and read it if they wish. The use of "banned" in the article's title was pure clickbait.

Bigguy
02-25-2022, 08:18 AM

You can play semantics until the cows come home. If the school board doesn't allow the book to be used, it is banned. Banned from the school. Yes, you can still buy it a take it home. That doesn't remove the ban from school use. And they did, in their own words vote to ban it. It's banned.

blues
02-25-2022, 09:03 AM
I'm not a comic book reader since my teens...but I'll check this out...primarily because I grew up among some holocaust survivors, and I know the neighborhood the author lived in back in the day. It should resonate with me on a variety of levels...many painfully.

Thanks for the recommendation.

NEPAKevin
02-25-2022, 04:43 PM
I'm not a comic book reader since my teens...

:)

blues
02-25-2022, 05:05 PM
That's a new one on me.

NEPAKevin
02-25-2022, 07:44 PM
The Island by Coes - a Mitch Rapp type vs. terrorist plot. Mildly readable but the ending falls into more than the usual disbelief. Folks fight with full auto AR-15s which they switch to semimanual. Ok - that's nice.

I liked his first book but made the mistake of reading a review where someone pointed out that Coes has a habit of waxing grand eloquent about his protagonist's physique more like you would expect in a romance novel.

BehindBlueI's
02-27-2022, 02:02 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SBS41XV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o07?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Star Mother

This was free with Amazon Prime a few months back and I just now got around to reading it. Honestly, without the 'free' part I am pretty unlikely to have picked it up as it's not the sort of thing I'd normally read. It was quite good, though. It's not a complex story, but it's a good one and I found myself staying up a bit too late just to finish it. It does start off a bit slow but snowballs nicely.

Erik
03-06-2022, 10:27 PM
The Hoodnurse Chronicles (https://smile.amazon.com/Hoodnurse-Chronicles-Delivering-care-into-ebook/dp/B09RBD2PL8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=XC0YGIYD530Q&keywords=hoodnurse+chronicles&qid=1646621771&sprefix=hoodnurs%2Caps%2C246&sr=8-1)

This book was written by John Haynes, RN and I'm blessed to be able to say that John is a good, good friend of mine. He's an RN who worked as a home care nurse in Flint, Michigan for a few years and the book is a collection of vignettes from his work. John is a big dude, with an even bigger heart and his stories are brief, well-written (he has a great voice) and told with an enormous amount of love, respect and good humor. I've known John for a lot of years now and I heard most of these stories in real time. Along with a lot of his other friends, I told him, "You need to write a book man." I couldn't be more proud of him that he did. If you like the stories in the Roll Call thread, you'll love this book. If you wrote the stories in the Roll Call thread, you'll know every word of it is true.

Wyoming Shooter
03-22-2022, 10:47 AM
https://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Green-Valley/dp/B08GV5KZN8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2N2W9FE9KULD9&keywords=the+last+green+valley+mark+sullivan&qid=1647962700&s=books&sprefix=The+last+gr%2Cstripbooks%2C920&sr=1-1

I'm about 1/3 of the way into this one. It’s excellent, especially given the current Russian invasion of Ukraine. Sullivan provides historical context that gives the reader tremendous appreciation of and respect for the Ukrainian resistance to the communist invaders.

Lester Polfus
03-27-2022, 10:33 AM
For probably the last ten years, each time I read a Bob Lee Swagger novel, I swear I won't read the next one. Despite that, I checked out Targeted and finished it by skimming large parts.

I think it is an attempt at black comedy. Like some other best sellers, I think Hunter has reached the status where his books no longer receive a developmental edit. It looks like the publishing house just does a copy edit, slaps a cover on it, and sends it out into the world. It is a clumsy political statement. There are entirely too many POV shifts. Every english-speaking character has clever dialogue in exactly the same way, whether they are an Idaho public defender or Nancy Pelosi. The taut action scenes of Dirty White Boys have been replaced with long pieces of narrative that drag along.

At the end of this one, he teased that the next book will be an Earl book set in WW2, with "lots of tommy guns." I'll probably check that one out too.

Coyotesfan97
03-27-2022, 12:39 PM
https://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Green-Valley/dp/B08GV5KZN8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2N2W9FE9KULD9&keywords=the+last+green+valley+mark+sullivan&qid=1647962700&s=books&sprefix=The+last+gr%2Cstripbooks%2C920&sr=1-1

I'm about 1/3 of the way into this one. It’s excellent, especially given the current Russian invasion of Ukraine. Sullivan provides historical context that gives the reader tremendous appreciation of and respect for the Ukrainian resistance to the communist invaders.

It’s on Kindle Unlimited. I just picked it up. It sounds good.

0ddl0t
04-01-2022, 06:11 AM
I recommend skipping American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/American_Dirt_by_Jeanine_Cummins.png?2020012819425 2

A shopkeeper & her son flee Acapulco to America after a cartel murders her family over her husband's newspaper expose. At times the story showed promise, but overall it reads as if a WASPy man-hating Huffington Post leftist read a dozen or so harrowing accounts of asylum-seeking immigrants and decided to strip out any nuance & combine them into one impossibly melodramatic story. Children will be separated from parents, widows will be arbitrarily deportated, AR15s brandished, and pretty much every adult male can't be trusted...

Glenn E. Meyer
04-01-2022, 10:49 AM
The Dark Hours - a Ballard and Bosch book. Harry is just a supporting character and not much about his life. The plots are interesting and the story moves. There is the usual, our good cop comes up against the upper level administration and takes a stand for whatever. Makes the noble gesture. But it's readable.

Bosch is clearly marked for his age and health issues, so I think he's transitioning out.

Bigguy
04-01-2022, 11:34 AM
"Where the Crawdads Sing. (https://www.amazon.com/Where-Crawdads-Sing-Delia-Owens-ebook/dp/B078GD3DRG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1888FQ2JH70YP&keywords=where+the+crawdads+sing&qid=1648830483&s=books&sprefix=where+the%2Cstripbooks%2C273&sr=1-1)
86853 (https://www.amazon.com/Where-Crawdads-Sing-Delia-Owens-ebook/dp/B078GD3DRG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1888FQ2JH70YP&keywords=where+the+crawdads+sing&qid=1648830483&s=books&sprefix=where+the%2Cstripbooks%2C273&sr=1-1)
A co-worker recommended it to me and I checked it out from the library a few months ago. I see they've made a movie from it now, though I don't think it's been released yet. The wife is currently reading it.
It starts by following a young girl who winds up living by herself in the swamp. Eventually there is a murder trial where she is accused of killing her boyfriend. It's a good book, with more than a little social commentary about how outsiders are treated.

Casual Friday
04-01-2022, 12:11 PM
The Rushing Winter series by Aaron Cowan(Sage Dynamics) has been consistently pretty good. I just finished book 6 the other day and enjoyed it quite a bit. The story is a bit like Jason Borne or Mitch Rapp; a highly trained assassin who rebels and tries to discover himself kinda thing. As the series progresses the story gets fairly deep with lots of characters and organizations and some decent lore. The action can be pretty over the top in places, but still feels grounded due to how it is written and how the character develops over time.

Cowan does pretty well for not primarily being a writer and I think the books do get better as the series goes on, however they all suffer a bit from excessive wordiness in places and can drag from time to time and there are a couple editing/proof reading errors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053Y2HDQ?notRedirectToSDP=1&ref_=dbs_mng_calw_0&storeType=ebooks

I own them all but have only read the first one, and it was years ago. I remember it being poorly edited, but a good story nonetheless. I purchased the other five with the intention of reading them and to throw Cowan a few bucks. I've only heard good things about his classes and instruction and I admire a guy for writing books just because he wants to. I'll have to jump back in to them in the near future.

Elkhitman
04-01-2022, 04:01 PM
Just got Mongol Moon, got a lot of great reviews, some say prophetic. Going to dive into it in the next day or so.

Cory
04-01-2022, 04:58 PM
My wife and I have enjoyed the Bridgerton series on Netflix quite a bit. She ordered the first 3 books and they just arrived. Im looking forward to reading them with her.

Our little book club of two has read the Twilight series, Hunger games series, 50 shades series. Basically whatever the zeitgiest book is. Its cool to read it at the same time and talk it over.

Stephanie B
04-01-2022, 06:37 PM
My wife and I have enjoyed the Bridgerton series on Netflix quite a bit.

I can't stand it. The lives and tribulations of a bunch of twits. It's not thing more than a soap opera in period dress.

Besides that, in an era where all of the local transport is horse-drawn, the streets are far, far too clean. The kid who had her arm scraped open by a horse's hoof should have died of blood poisoning.