PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help

Badfish25
08-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Guys and Girls, I am trying to set up some kind of standard to shoot every two weeks and track my progress. I am looking at a mix of drills totaling 50 rounds. I am wanting to hit on as many skills as I can for those 50 rounds, and then I can use my other 50 to work on any weak spots (normally shoot 100 rounds).

I know a lot of guys are pimping 50 rounds drills and I did shamelessly steal some ideas from them . Also these drills will be shot at a indoor range so I can only shoot at 1 target at a time.

All hits must be in A zone on IDPA target, any misses are a no go except on drill # 6 where C zone hits add 3 seconds to time. Drills are ran from the 10 yard line except for #6 which is 25 yards. Total rounds fired 50. Should be done atleast once per month.

Drill 1 : From Position 2 drive the pistol out and take on shot. Goal is 1 second. (5 times)

Drill 2 : From the Draw take one shot. Goal is 1.5 seconds (5 times)

Drill 3 : From the Draw, fire 5 shots. Goal is 3 seconds. (2 times)

Drill 4 : From Draw, fire 5 shots strong hand. Goal is 7 seconds. (2 times)

Drill 5 : From Position 2, fire 5 shots support hand Goal is 5 seconds. (2 times)

Drill 6 : From the Draw, fire 10 shots. Goal is 10 seconds. (one time)

Trying for a good mix of speed vs Accuracy, and not really caring about reloads as I can do those dry, what do you guys think, what am I missing?

joshs
08-17-2014, 07:31 PM
Why not use popular tests that cover the same skills so you have lots of data available to compare yourself to others? For example, if you search through the Drill of the Week, there are a number of tests that cover the same skills your drills cover, but there are results from shooters of varied skill levels to compare yourself to.

I like to use The Test, The FAST, Dot Torture, Hack Indoor Standards, and Bullseye 300 to track progress. These can all be shot on an indoor public range with only one target. I'd also caution against over testing. Tests are usually really bad ways to build skill because they involve lots of different skills so there will be "noise" in the results and you don't get enough repetitions on an individual skill to actually improve.

As an alternative to frequent testing, consider a mini test at the beginning of every practice session. I used to use the FAST, but I've been experimenting with something even simpler. Draw 2 to the body, empty gun reload, and then one to an upper card (USPSA A or 3x5). It only uses 3 rounds, is slightly more practical than the FAST (not that the FAST is supposed to be practical), and tests most of the same skills. I do it at a distance where I risk missing the body shots if I outshoot my vision. For me, this is currently 10 yards.

Or, you could completely ignore all of this and just do it your way, which might be better for you. I will say that you have a large number of one shot drills/tests for time. You'll have to focus really hard on not cheating your grip to make the time since recoil control won't matter for those tests.