PDA

View Full Version : Do you check to see your hits during competition?

MSparks909
08-17-2014, 06:28 PM
In a perfect world, one breaks the shot(s) only when there is clear and distinct focus on the front sight as it is imposed over the A-Zone (or similar), uses the recoil from that shot(s) to move their gun to the next target, and repeats the process. However, I noticed today (and in all previous matches that I've shot), that I tend to switch from a front sight focus to a target focus, to ensure that I got the hit, before moving on. Today is the first time I've ever shot a match clean, but in previous matches, I always beat myself up for not checking to see the hits before moving on because of the penalties incurred because of the failures to engage/complete the engagement. I know it eats up time, but as a shooter I haven't built up the confidence to break the shot and have faith that it found its mark. I can see where the ability to "call your shot" comes into play; knowing whether or not you threw the shot will help in deciding whether to re-engage the target or not.

I know I'm not supposed to, but it's so difficult not to look at the target, especially close ones (within 7 yards) to see if I got the hit(s). I also tend to do this during drills (3x5 card draws, DT, etc). Any cure for this besides iron clad front sight focus and relying on "calling the shot?" Is this really an issue that I should work on overcoming, or should I just keep doing what I'm doing?

I'll probably never be an A class shooter, let alone a M/GM (though that is an excellent goal to work towards), but I'm just curious if any of you do this as well.

gringop
08-17-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm just a lowly IDPA shooter but when I train, I force myself not to look at the target for hits until after the string is over.

In a match, if I call a shot a miss (by watching the sights lift), I will shoot a makeup. If I notice a miss on a previously shot target I may make it up depending on the circumstances.

If you don't have confidence in your shot calling abilities then you need to practice shot calling drills until you gain that confidence. Wasting time looking at targets that have already been shot is really wasting time.

Gringop

PPGMD
08-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Only after I am done shooting.

Don Gwinn
08-17-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm trying very hard not to jump back and forth in training, because I sometimes call shots in competition and sometimes catch myself checking--and it feels so much smoother when I call shots and move on. But I do catch myself over and over and have to push my focus back to the front sight. It's probably worse because I concentrate so much on accuracy at relatively short ranges, like 5-yard Dot Torture.

One of the things I like about shooting the Laserlyte target with a SIRT is that shots don't show up until I'm done with a string and shoot the "Display" target.

cclaxton
08-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Not intentionally, I focus on sights and target. If I notice bullet holes, I might notice and do a makeup. But normally I only do a makeup shot if my sights were off or if my sights were not centered on the target.
Cody

MSparks909
08-18-2014, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the responses. From what I've gathered, I really need to work on kicking this habit now. Will work more on calling my shots, so I can avoid playing eye tag back and forth between the target and the sights.

dbateman
08-18-2014, 02:58 AM
When shooting a pistol I tend not to look at my targets to see my hits, I just watch my sights and believe what I see.

The best thing that I have found for learning to see the sights are shooting into the berm not at a target just the berm all you are trying to do is get sight alinement and watch your sight rise and fall. The other good thing I have found is shooting the plate rack at pace and not waiting for the targets to fall just believe what you see when the shot breaks.

I'm no expert and I'm still learning but that is what I have found works for me.

Alpha Sierra
08-18-2014, 06:59 AM
Depending on how close the targets are, I might have a soft focus on the target instead of the sights. I might see hits then, but I don't specifically look for them.