PDA

View Full Version : Holsters for big guys

twopointoh
07-12-2011, 01:44 PM
I joined the gun community about a year and a half ago and I've learned quite a lot from good websites such as this one. The more I've learned, the more I've realized that my safety and the safety of my family is my responsibility. I'm a big guy and, as of a few months ago, I was pushing 350 and way way out of condition. If SHTF, I doubted that I would be much more than a large lumbering target. I've made changes to my lifestyle and I'm showing good progress. However, it will still be well over a year before I could be considered anywhere near fit.

While I'm working on the new me (2.0), I want to everyday carry, preferably in an IWB holster. The problem I have been running into with many IWB holsters is they don't take my body shape into account. Many do not fit comfortably, or the gun's grip pokes away from my body and prints. I'm carrying a full-size M&P 9 at the moment and I'm saving up my pennies for a compact version, but that will be a while. I'd rather spend the money on practice ammo at this point.

The best I've found so far is the Full Moon from Kholster (http://www.kholster.com/products.htm). My only complaint about that holster is how the leather bunches up and pokes outward and prints from time to time. I may trim it a bit and see if that helps, but I'd hate to ruin a nice holster. I'm considering getting a Dragon Leatherworks Fugly (http://www.dragonleatherworks.com/leather_holster_fugly_iwb.php), but I'd rather not keep spending $$$ until I find the one that works. I know many people have that box of unsuitable holsters and it may indeed be inevitable for me.

I'm sure there are a few of us big guys out there carrying daily. Does anybody have any suggestions, tips, or recommendations?

JRCHolsters
07-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Some of my customers that are big guys, like the P-1 that I make. It has a wide, but not ridiculously wide design. The flanges conform to your body quickly, and is very efficient at concealment. It has a reinforced mouth to keep it rigid above the belt line.
The concern you have about the butt pushing away from your body is an issue. When I mold a holster, it is actually torqued off of center-line in order to push the butt of the pistol closer in to your body. Little things like that make a big difference. This is one of the reasons I don't use a press to mold my holsters. I can control that torque until the holster is completely molded. I have pics of it in the gallery section.
Can't say for sure it would work for you, but I have had a lot of great feedback on this design and it is my best seller.

Ray Keith
07-12-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm sure there are a few of us big guys out there carrying daily. Does anybody have any suggestions, tips, or recommendations?

I definitely qualify...though I am shrinking some lately.

I strongly prefer the Sparks VM-2. It is very comfortable even with my spare energy storage areas... Even if not that specific holster I prefer the style. The Supertuck Deluxe is comfortable for me too. I don't do well with the Summer Special style. AIWB has been determined by NASA to be a mathematical impossibility for me.

Prdator
07-12-2011, 05:04 PM
As a "Big" guy my self,
One thing you might have to do is modify your holster some, think in reverse terms if its rolling out on top you'll need a foam pad on the bottom (inside) to push the top back in. I have to do this on my AIWB holsters I build, and for me the pads are quite large...

Belt tension is another thing I have to keep tighter than normal belt tension to keep the gun hid.

I'll say that the pancake type kydex holsters Like the Raven's are my favorite for IWB at the typical 3-4 O'clock. For Leather I'd look at the one Pictured above, OR 5 SHOT Leather AWESOME STUFF!! Ill not Recommend Milt Sparks as IVe had VERY bad luck with them....

Also look at the long slide guns such as the Glock 34-35 they put the pressure point lower and conceal better and are more comfortable to wear. ( I've a buddy of mine really big guy and he carry's a Glock 17L!! IWB)

Let us know if that helps.

jslaker
07-12-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm 6'3 and 285ish, so I'm not as big as you, OP, but definitely fall into the "need to get some weight off" category, as well.

Two things I've found to make a big difference:

1. I definitely prefer holsters similar in design to something like the Desbiens #4 (http://www.desbiensgunleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/IMG_2559.jpg). I find that holsters that fit the gun less tightly end up just poking me more.

(I actually saw the #4 for the first time in the past couple of weeks, and was somewhat surprised that it's fairly similar in basic overall profile the holster (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?332-Leather-Holster-Making&p=18640&viewfull=1#post18640) I built for myself recently. Made me feel like I hadn't totally screwed up when I was thinking about what I wanted. The Desbiens holster is, however, of far better quality than what I scraped together ;)).

2. As I noted in the post I linked above, I found that moving the gun just forward of my hip made a huge difference in being able to both conceal and carry comfortably. I was always comfortable with 3:45-4:00 carry, but the grip of the gun definitely has a tendency to push off your side with anything bigger than a G19 sized gun. Getting the gun forward to the 2-2:30 range tends to push the gun into the body instead.

That said, it's worth noting that I am a younger guy compared to many here and am accustomed to wearing my pants on the low side. Partially because it's how kids these days roll, and partially because it's much easier to find pants in a 32" inseam than the 34" I'd have to have if I wore them any higher, so YMMV of course.

grimel
07-12-2011, 09:46 PM
There are a host of companies that make fatboy compatible IWB holsters, even AIWB. It just takes either a lot of thought or experimentation. First thing is forget where the rail job boys wear their holster. We got body in the way. If you can comfortably reach your back pocket, try sticking the holster there (needs a little more fwd cant than many holsters have). What you don't want is to stick the holster where the love handles are rolling 3:30 is about as far fwd as will likely be comfortable.

AIWB, takes the most effort. My dad gained almost 200lbs after getting hurt at work and the resulting seven (7) yrs dealing with worker's comp "fixing" the knee and the load of steroids he was given to "aid" in healing. Along the way he injured his gun hand shoulder. He can't quickly reach 3:00 without pain. He's not going to do much training in pain. We tried a lot of holsters AIWB. Finally, I just made one with about a 20deg fwd cant. It rolls with the belly, has the grip where he can get it with the leas shoulder movement, and he says it's comfortable. He did a 2 day class with Tom Givins using the holster. He's fallen down and not lost the pistol from the holster during the fall or ensuing getting up (a real danger thanks to how he has to move now with 2 plastic knees and a bad shoulder).

His for an XD, this is the first one.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll132/tnflash/Picture029.jpg