PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite tactical / tacticool lingo or terminology?

Chance
08-09-2014, 02:29 PM
I attended a civilian response to active shooters (CRAS) course this weekend with Paul Howe in Nacogdoches. Unfortunately, I couldn't complete the class due to vestigial bronchitis, but I did pick up a new piece of terminology: “Plotting.”

Used in a sentence: “Look around. There may be other bad guys, they may be plotting on you. That’s okay, because I’m plotting on them too.”

So I'm curious: what's everyone's favorite tactical / tacticool terminology?

[Sorry if this has been covered previously - I searched and couldn't find anything.]

LittleLebowski
08-09-2014, 02:32 PM
"tacticool"

Chance
08-09-2014, 02:36 PM
"tacticool"

Cheers. :D

Alpha Sierra
08-09-2014, 02:59 PM
"dyanmic", "disruptive", and "kinetic". Those all give me that Chris Matthews tingly feeling up my leg

JHC
08-09-2014, 03:09 PM
During training with Frank Proctor I learned a new one. He taught carbine shooting in incremental steps and building blocks and when all those pieces were assembled and it was time to pour in rapid aimed shots on a target he's say "FEED IT!"

That and an expression once you had something figured out and executed well he'd say "Easy day."

Them would be my favs.

Clobbersaurus
08-09-2014, 05:14 PM
"Power Stroke"

Thank you Magpul Dynamics, no really........thank you.

Odin Bravo One
08-09-2014, 05:36 PM
"Weak sauce" or "Weak chili".

imp1295
08-09-2014, 05:48 PM
It's unfortunate that so many terms/vernacular that have been part of the military lexicon have been hijacked by mall ninjas. JMs have been using "'dynamic' parachute landing fall" as part of pre-jump for decades.

LHS
08-09-2014, 05:48 PM
"Dude."

Seriously. SuperDave has an entire private language built on various inflections of the word Dude.

Dr. No
08-09-2014, 06:00 PM
If you haven't bro'ed anyone you've never been on a real team ... :)

Kyle Reese
08-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Operator

JAD
08-09-2014, 07:43 PM
he's say "FEED IT!" .

Feed me, Mandrake.

Tamara
08-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Feed me, Mandrake.

*golf clap*

Lester Polfus
08-09-2014, 11:11 PM
"Making movement" is a favorite of The Bearded One.

Occasionally Costa will let something slip that shows his CG background, but I have no idea where "making movement" came from...

Trooper224
08-09-2014, 11:58 PM
"Homes"

Totem Polar
08-10-2014, 02:49 AM
"Making a supervisor"
"S*** sandwich"

CCT125US
08-10-2014, 03:03 AM
homeslice, hundo, g-lock

And my favorite = real world. Because all this time, I thought I lived in the land of unicorns and glitter. Thank you for bringing me back to reality, you grand master of the obvious.

WDW
08-10-2014, 05:32 AM
"Kit"

Alpha Sierra
08-10-2014, 06:03 AM

Occasionally Costa will let something slip that shows his CG background, but I have no idea where "making movement" came from...
Maybe he should switch to "getting underway"

Mike C
08-10-2014, 07:01 AM
It's unfortunate that so many terms/vernacular that have been part of the military lexicon have been hijacked by mall ninjas. JMs have been using "'dynamic' parachute landing fall" as part of pre-jump for decades.

This s*%^ right here. I hate hearing a bunch of freaking dud's misuse military terms to sound cooler than they really are/trying to play the part. Fu*^@#$ REM's too. Don't get me wrong, everyone has there place/roles to play and I was never a HSLD m'fing, "operator." Really I was just a regular old grunt but this crap makes me want to puke. For the record, rear echelon mother fucker, LEG, or POG was one of my favorites to throw around. Sometimes crackhead when referring to one of the JOE's in my platoon or squad for the time I was a PSG, SDI or Squad Leader. Now that I am really no body I don't use any tacticool lingo anymore.

TGS
08-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Orientate.

Tamara
08-10-2014, 08:46 AM

Which Bearded One? The white guy? With the short hair? ;)

pax
08-10-2014, 09:03 AM
"On the street" never fails to amuse me. Book 'em, Danno!

Dagga Boy
08-10-2014, 12:43 PM
"On the street" never fails to amuse me. Book 'em, Danno!

Easy there Hondo.....or I'll throw out "women's training"....;-)

WDW
08-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Anything a bearded douche with sleeved out arms on YouTube says

jlw
08-10-2014, 12:50 PM
"Kit"

I'm not cool enough to have kit. I just have stuff.

Tamara
08-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Easy there Hondo.....or I'll throw out "women's training"....;-)

I ignore the advice for use "on the street" anyway; since we have sidewalks in our neighborhood, it's unlikely to be very applicable. ;)

Jeep
08-10-2014, 01:22 PM
"Kit"

The winner. No one had "kit" in America until a SAS aficionado founded the Army team. Then we got "kit" and "recce" and "operators" and "helos" and all sorts of weirdness. Which was fine when it was confined to a small area of Fort Bragg. Now, every self-visualized "operator" has "kit."

Pretty soon they'll all be saying "I'll revert to you" with a slight British accent. It needs to be stamped out.

Tamara
08-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Pretty soon they'll all be saying "I'll revert to you" with a slight British accent. It needs to be stamped out.

That's what we get for the lax security along our northern border. They're a channel for that stuff. It's probably backward-masked into the music they broadcast with the ice soccer games.

RevolverRob
08-10-2014, 03:46 PM
"Switched on". I know that it vaguely means that people are aware of their surroundings and/or are aware in general, but it's used in such a way that makes me want to punch people in the face. "That dude is really switched-on." As opposed to all the other people with enough awareness to avoid confrontation or even enough awareness to drive a car? Are those people "switched-off"?

But honestly all of these things are grating on my nerves, when some guys says, "I am a switched-on operator capable of dominating the environment with my kit." When people say crap like that, I want to put it to the test and shove them out of a moving car and see how the dominate a dynamic situation because they are so switched-on.

-Rob

Glenn E. Meyer
08-10-2014, 06:25 PM
"Back in the day" - Somebody did something quite superdooper.

Jay Cunningham
08-10-2014, 06:57 PM
"walkthrough"

backtrail540
08-10-2014, 06:59 PM
The current phrase that I hear often, usually from top trainers whom i have respect, is "learning occurred". I understand what they mean but it still gets me every time. I believe the entire point of going to a class is for "learning to occur".

Paul D
08-10-2014, 07:02 PM
'Send it" in long range rifle courses. Really?

TCinVA
08-10-2014, 07:05 PM
I don't really thing "plotting" is anything special in terms of lingo. It's been around for quite some time.

The most amusing lingo related anecdote I have involves a fellow from Her Majesty's Special Boat Service named Gaz. I happened to be in one of the first classes he taught for Blackwater some years ago. After a dinner break on the first day we met back on the range for some low light work and at the conclusion of the safety brief he told us to go to our "boot" and retrieve our "torches".

...at which point the class stared blankly at him. Thankfully because I had been a Monty Python* fan for so long I'm reasonably conversant in British so I translated for him and informed the class that he wished for us to get our light gear out of our trunks. I forget exactly how I phrased it, but it was sufficient to make everybody laugh and to be the unofficial class interpreter. It should be noted that none of us had beards at the time. I had a goatee and long sideburns.

Gaz was an interesting character. When I met him he'd been in the country for a couple of weeks and was already driving the biggest Ford dually diesel truck he could find. I think a couple of people in the class managed to find a Confederate flag he could put in the rear window and presented it to him in honor of the speed with which he was adopting all things 'Murica as his own.

I'm told that some time later during a 4th of July holiday when the place was closed he climbed atop the main admin building of the facility (back when there was only 1 building, as they hadn't yet gotten all that contracting money) with the Union Jack and had someone take his picture. He then put up flyers all over the place claiming the grounds of the facility for the glory of Her Majesty, and noting that he was now the Royal Governor of Moyock sent to bring civilization and order to this benighted land.

* Remind me sometime to tell you guys about the time ToddG and I forced someone to dryfire for a couple of hours, and after that almost forced him to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail against his will.

TGS
08-10-2014, 07:11 PM
The current phrase that I hear often, usually from top trainers whom i have respect, is "learning occurred". I understand what they mean but it still gets me every time. I believe the entire point of going to a class is for "learning to occur".

At least in the USMC, my exposure to the phrase was that it's a semi-sarcastic, humorous remark.....especially useful when someone does something silly during a training evolution and everyone laughs.

So there I was....

Platoon has been told, "Training evolution is over. Pack everything up so we can get out of here first thing in the morning."

Shmuckatellie packs his gas mask at the bottom of his pack, and because it's nice out and holding security is notional (there's another catch word), he decides to sleep naked in his sack.

At 0200 hours, instructors pop gas in the middle of the bivouc. Keep in mind, said bivouc was also chosen on low ground. A dell, if you will.

Shmuckatellie jumps out of the sack running around like a madman, twig and berries for all to admire. He had trouble (like the rest of the platoon) getting his gas mask because it was at the bottom of his pack. Unfortunately, he had also sweated overnight.....and was naked. The burning.

Instructors looked at the rest of the platoon sitting around laughing hysterically, and said, "Learning has occurred, 2nd Platoon."

Another one I loved was the "'I believe' button." Oh, how I hit that "I believe" button so many times.

TCinVA
08-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Reminds me of "the good idea fairy"

TGS
08-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Reminds me of "the good idea fairy"

Ah, yes.

I said that at work a month ago. Apparently it's not an acceptable way of calling someone stupid in the civilian workforce.

jlw
08-10-2014, 07:22 PM
"Well, I took a class from..." usually uttered by insurance salesman or computer guy, etc, when trying to lecture a .mil or badge toter on tactics.

Yes, I went there.

Jeep
08-10-2014, 07:29 PM
At least in the USMC, my exposure to the phrase was that it's a semi-sarcastic, humorous remark.....especially useful when someone does something silly during a training evolution and everyone laughs.

So there I was....

Platoon has been told, "Training evolution is over. Pack everything up so we can get out of here first thing in the morning."

By the way. Where did this "training evolution" phrase come from? Was it originally a Marine/Navy thing? We had training "phases" when I was in the Army but not "evolutions" and f the use of the word in that context doesn't seem to make much sense.

Shmuckatellie packs his gas mask at the bottom of his pack, and because it's nice out and holding security is notional (there's another catch word), he decides to sleep naked in his sack.

At 0200 hours, instructors pop gas in the middle of the bivouc. Keep in mind, said bivouc was also chosen on low ground. A dell, if you will.

Shmuckatellie jumps out of the sack running around like a madman, twig and berries for all to admire. He had trouble (like the rest of the platoon) getting his gas mask because it was at the bottom of his pack. Unfortunately, he had also sweated overnight.....and was naked. The burning.

Instructors looked at the rest of the platoon sitting around laughing hysterically, and said, "Learning has occurred, 2nd Platoon."

Another one I loved was the "'I believe' button." Oh, how I hit that "I believe" button so many times.

By the way, where does this "training evolution" phrase come from? When I was in the Army we had training "phases" but not training "evolutions", and it doesn't seem like the word "evolution" makes much sense in that context.

JWinTN
08-10-2014, 07:32 PM
I like kit. Two less syllables than equipment, which appeals to my Appalachian lingual laziness.

TGS
08-10-2014, 07:39 PM
By the way, where does this "training evolution" phrase come from? When I was in the Army we had training "phases" but not training "evolutions", and it doesn't seem like the word "evolution" makes much sense in that context.

Look in front of your face.

See that big red button? The one with "I believe" written on it?

I want you to push it.

;)

Jeep
08-10-2014, 07:40 PM
I like kit. Two less syllables than equipment, which appeals to my Appalachian lingual laziness.

Well, "back in the day" we used "gear," which has the advantage of having only one letter more than "kit" while not being a Britishism. And you never know where those British phrases will take you. You start out by saying "kit" and "recce" and pretty soon you're having your meals in the field served on white linen and eaten with sterling silver silverware. Next its regimental ties and then the whole thing starts falling apart.

TCinVA
08-10-2014, 07:41 PM

Our notion of "evolution" is conditioned by Darwin's theory. The word itself is much older than Darwin's theory and to the best of my recollection it actually came from a military context describing maneuvers and such.

Well, "back in the day" we used "gear," which has the advantage of having only one letter more than "kit" while not being a Britishism. And you never know where those British phrases will take you. You start out by saying "kit" and "recce" and pretty soon you're having your meals in the field served on white linen and eaten with sterling silver silverware. Next its regimental ties and then the whole thing starts falling apart.

Gaz would have totally sent you a copy of that flyer.

Jeep
08-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Our notion of "evolution" is conditioned by Darwin's theory. The word itself is much older than Darwin's theory and to the best of my recollection it actually came from a military context describing maneuvers and such.

Gaz would have totally sent you a copy of that flyer.

On "evolution" I think you are correct--it referred to changing from one formation to another. I think Darwin used the word pretty much in that sense. But it seems now to have become a buzzword meaning the training itself, rather than the change--an interesting case of linguistic drift.

As for Gaz, he was beat (at least in my case) by around 25 years by a squadron of Her Majesty's Life Guards, which did its best to recolonize Kansas (and which had remarkable success in gaining the devoted loyalty of many of the young, female, inhabitants of the state). Excellent soldiers--even better NCO's--but with the oddest notions of gunnery.

rob_s
08-10-2014, 08:23 PM
"I don't wear a chest rig in classes because I'm training like I'd fight"

"I just wear everyday clothes to matches and classes because I'm training for the real world"

"I need [xyz gear] and [abc ninja training]"

Anything of that sort

Alpha Sierra
08-10-2014, 08:46 PM
"I just wear everyday clothes to classes because I'm training for the real world"
I don't know why you go to gun classes, but I go to them to improve my skills to use a handgun in self defense in, wait for it, the real world.

So I guess I take them wearing the same type of clothes I wear out and about, the same holster, gun, and pouches.

TCinVA
08-10-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm usually doing the class in a rainbow colored 'fro wig, platform shoes, and a sequinned vest. But I do open for the Harlem Globetrotters for a living, so it's "real world" for me.

TGS
08-10-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't know why you go to gun classes, but I go to them to improve my skills to use a handgun in self defense in, wait for it, the real world.

So I guess I take them wearing the same type of clothes I wear out and about, the same holster, gun, and pouches.

Ditto.

On my end, there's definitely been a value to that as attending classes in different shirts (on purpose) really gave me a better idea of what shirts tend to foul the draw less or more.

mc1911
08-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Ditto.

On my end, there's definitely been a value to that as attending classes in different shirts (on purpose) really gave me a better idea of what shirts tend to foul the draw less or more.

So you are saying that you run various training evolutions to see which cover garments might snag your kit in the real world/on the street?

Lester Polfus
08-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Which Bearded One? The white guy? With the short hair? ;)

That's the one.

RevolverRob
08-10-2014, 09:32 PM
"Back in the day" - Somebody did something quite superdooper.

Back in the day, it was a Tuesday.

Ah, yes.

I said that at work a month ago. Apparently it's not an acceptable way of calling someone stupid in the civilian workforce.

What a bunch of savages. I did discover that calling someone stupid at a faculty meeting was a good way to get the department chair to come see you later...but I digress...

On "evolution" I think you are correct--it referred to changing from one formation to another. I think Darwin used the word pretty much in that sense. But it seems now to have become a buzzword meaning the training itself, rather than the change--an interesting case of linguistic drift.

So, the basic concept of evolution - from evolve is from Latin and essentially means "to shape gradually or make more complex". The origin of evolution according to the Oxford English Dictionary is:
early 17th century: from Latin evolutio(n-) 'unrolling', from the verb evolvere (see evolve). Early senses related to physical movement, first recorded in describing a tactical “wheeling” maneuver in the realignment of troops or ships. Current senses stem from a notion of “opening out” and “unfolding,” giving rise to a general sense of 'development'.

So yes it would appear it did arise in a military context! Which is cool, I had no idea, actually.

I do know the use of evolution was co-opted into geologic texts in the late 18th century as well, it was also used by Lamarck (pre-cursor of Darwin) to describe a rudimentary (and incorrect form) of biological evolution in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The breakthrough for Darwin that lead to the most common usage of evolution today (where it means biological evolution) was the conceptual idea that combined gradual change in biological form, with deep geologic time, and a mechanism for inheritance. So when Darwin used it the term had already been adopted by a geological and biological community to essentially describe "change through time". Which is essence how most anyone is using the word evolution today and even back then. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of that is - as the use of evolution has evolved (see what I did there?!) the idea of "make more complex" has largely been abandoned for a more generalized "gradual change" and in the military setting that is what it meant as well.

This post brought to you by my undying love of all things nerdy.

-Rob

TGS
08-10-2014, 09:58 PM
So you are saying that you run various training evolutions to see which cover garments might snag your kit in the real world/on the street?

Nah.....just that if I'm going to a class (which I haven't in a while), I would prefer to wear street clothes as opposed to duty/tactical garments made for gunfightin' and stuff. The latter makes it easy. The former is not designed with fighting in mind, but it's what I'll be wearing when carrying a gun...so it's what makes sense to wear in classes, so that I could have more exposure to whether it's suitable to wear at all.

Ex: Lots of people who don't put much stock into training seem to think oversized t-shirts are best for concealment. It would be very beneficial for them to attend a class in such, because they'd figure out it's a horrible idea.

Robinson
08-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Ex: Lots of people who don't put much stock into training seem to think oversized t-shirts are best for concealment. It would be very beneficial for them to attend a class in such, because they'd figure out it's a horrible idea.

Okay I'll ask -- why? I've attended a couple classes wearing such and it wasn't a problem. I mean, a vest is faster but I don't wear those.

Wearing an open jacket while carrying is convenient for cooler weather, but in hot weather I usually wear an oversize t-shirt. Maybe I need learning to occur.

1slow
08-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Slot, slotted, as a verb.

Totem Polar
08-10-2014, 11:47 PM
Okay I'll ask -- why? I've attended a couple classes wearing such and it wasn't a problem. I mean, a vest is faster but I don't wear those.

Wearing an open jacket while carrying is convenient for cooler weather, but in hot weather I usually wear an oversize t-shirt. Maybe I need learning to occur.
In general, I can always use some occurring learning. In specific, though, this.

???

Alpha Sierra
08-11-2014, 04:28 AM
My military service was about as un-tactical as it comes (unless you are talking about naval ASUW/AAW/ASW tactics) and the word evolution was used commonly to refer to something one had to do (typically as part of a team) for training.

Me: "Chief, pls brief the duty boat crew about the MOB evolution planned for 1430 today"

And "loadout" is another one that resembles fingernails dragging on the chalkboard.........

Tamara
08-11-2014, 06:31 AM
And "loadout" is another one that resembles fingernails dragging on the chalkboard.........

"EDC loadout" ensures that everything they say after that sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher.

NETim
08-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Covert De-animation Activities

Chance
08-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Here's where I first saw this line of conversation: Mudge Smash Monday – Words Dumb People Use To Make Themselves Sound Smart (http://soldiersystems.net/2014/07/15/mudge-smash-monday-words-to-make-you-sound-smart/) from Soldier Systems. I knew I'd seen it somewhere, I just couldn't remember off the top of my head.

"I don't wear a chest rig in classes because I'm training like I'd fight"

"I just wear everyday clothes to matches and classes because I'm training for the real world"

"I need [xyz gear] and [abc ninja training]"

Anything of that sort

I resemble these remarks.

Jeep
08-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Back in the day, it was a Tuesday.

What a bunch of savages. I did discover that calling someone stupid at a faculty meeting was a good way to get the department chair to come see you later...but I digress...

So, the basic concept of evolution - from evolve is from Latin and essentially means "to shape gradually or make more complex". The origin of evolution according to the Oxford English Dictionary is:

So yes it would appear it did arise in a military context! Which is cool, I had no idea, actually.

I do know the use of evolution was co-opted into geologic texts in the late 18th century as well, it was also used by Lamarck (pre-cursor of Darwin) to describe a rudimentary (and incorrect form) of biological evolution in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The breakthrough for Darwin that lead to the most common usage of evolution today (where it means biological evolution) was the conceptual idea that combined gradual change in biological form, with deep geologic time, and a mechanism for inheritance. So when Darwin used it the term had already been adopted by a geological and biological community to essentially describe "change through time". Which is essence how most anyone is using the word evolution today and even back then. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of that is - as the use of evolution has evolved (see what I did there?!) the idea of "make more complex" has largely been abandoned for a more generalized "gradual change" and in the military setting that is what it meant as well.

This post brought to you by my undying love of all things nerdy.

-Rob

That was awesome. Nerdy? Perhaps. But is an awesome way.

Dagga Boy
08-11-2014, 09:19 AM

Like "Operator", that one changed a bit. I always thought that was when you erased your doodling in school without the teacher catching you..........just goes to show that some of us were long in the tooth in covert de-animation activities.

LOKNLOD
08-11-2014, 09:28 AM

I don't even know what this one is. Is that code for "Killing people while being sneaky"?

TGS
08-11-2014, 09:43 AM

Its not about shirts vs vests and jackets. Its about baggy shirts versus properly fitting shirts. Baggy shirts slow down the draw a lot, and make it a lot easier to fumble to draw.....especially one handed draws. If you feel the need to wear a baggy shirt to conceal, you probably would be better served by a different holster (or belt) as opposed to wearing an oversized shirt.

CMG
08-11-2014, 10:51 AM
"Dude."

Seriously. SuperDave has an entire private language built on various inflections of the word Dude.

Maybe SuperDave can voice Groot in the next installment of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Stengun
08-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Howdy,

Situational Awareness

Never heard that one until the Internet Gun Forums showed up.

Any time someone mentions it I write them off as being a Keyboard Kommando, Gun Store Kommando or Mall Ninja that has played "Call of Dooty" a few times too many.

Back in the "Day" it was called "paying attention" or "aware of your surroundings ".

Someone mentioned "Dude". I say "Dude" all the time.

Paul

Glenn E. Meyer
08-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Run, hide, fight - in universities that means the crazy person with an Evil Black Rifle is going to shoot you as you are running for the door.Hide - A young female student is shot hiding under her desk. Fight - A young man is shot running towards the nut waving his ninja I-Pad of death.

It also means that you can't have a gun on campus.

Ninja I-Pad of Death - the term I used when testifying in front of the TX House for campus carry. Good line - got in the papers and on TV. Didn't get the bill passed though.

Surprisingly, the campus newspaper didn't mention my testimony in our usual faculty PR column.

TORCH2J
08-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Howdy,

Situational Awareness

The first time I heard that was in Ranger School in 1992.

Kit on the other hand sets me off on a rant about pseudo SAS wanna be Operators who buy their kittens from clothing and sales.

Chance
08-11-2014, 05:19 PM
I don't really thing "plotting" is anything special in terms of lingo. It's been around for quite some time.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I thought "plotting" was actually a cool term. :D The thread spun off in another direction, so I just went with it.

Situational Awareness

I've heard "situational awareness" used to describe things as innocuous as finding a parking space, and being aware of the prices of rental property. I didn't even know it had a tactic-ish origin.

Joe in PNG
08-11-2014, 05:23 PM
If memory serves, "situation awareness" is an old USAF pilot term.

Tamara
08-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Situational Awareness

Don't read Vietnam fighter pilot memoirs, eh?

Dr. No
08-11-2014, 06:26 PM

You win the thread.

Pup town
08-11-2014, 06:52 PM

Agreed.

I also don't like "running" to replace carrying, using or shooting.

Dagga Boy
08-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Some stuff should get passes depending on who is saying it. Born before 1970, you get a "dude" pass.

Alpha Sierra
08-11-2014, 07:33 PM

How could I forget that gem?

PT Doc
08-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Agreed.

Unless it is a "weapons system".

ranger
08-11-2014, 08:52 PM
"there I was, knee deep in hand grenade pins...."

CompressionIgnition
08-11-2014, 08:59 PM
"Situational Awareness" is taught in motorcycle safety courses as well. To me it has a sterner / more imperative ring to it than "paying attention".
Everybody knows you need to "pay attention" while driving (though many don't do it). When on a motorcycle you have to be much more alert since any slip-up, not just your own, but on the part of others, can cause fairly serious bodily harm to yourself, whereas in a car a slip-up will often just cause an annoyance (bent sheet metal, paperwork).

jlw
08-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Has anyone said "mindset" yet?

Alpha Sierra
08-11-2014, 09:23 PM

A kinetic weapon system providing an assymetric advantage to gain maximum dynamic battlespace domination......

SeriousStudent
08-11-2014, 09:27 PM
"there I was, knee deep in hand grenade pins...."

".....and down to my last PowerBar."

PD Sgt.
08-11-2014, 09:45 PM

This, with "running" was going to be my suggestion, closely followed by
"platform".

threedogdad
08-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Nevermind.

orionz06
08-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Science, scientific, and cerebral.

Tamara
08-11-2014, 10:31 PM

Efficient, because science!

ST911
08-11-2014, 10:36 PM
A lot of these depend on who is saying them, to what audience, and the context. Also, how old you are and you're own history. That they've been co-opted by others doesn't make them less useful. Properly used.

RevolverRob
08-11-2014, 10:47 PM

Efficient, because science!

The daily misuse of the word "science" and "scientific" really may give me a cerebral hemorrhage some day...

CompressionIgnition
08-11-2014, 10:49 PM
The daily misuse of the word "science" and "scientific" really may give me a cerebral hemorrhage some day...

Don't you mean scientifical? :D

Failure2Stop
08-11-2014, 11:01 PM
These all give me a genuine little internal chuckle:

Non-positive

Sub-optimal

Dangerocity

Totem Polar
08-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Can I add "go to" with regard to a gun?

One goes to church. One goes to school, or the store. One draws a gun and shoots the motherkittening kittener. :)

Paul D
08-11-2014, 11:49 PM
All of those guys who that type of lingo reminds me of this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAguP-zY2AA

orionz06
08-12-2014, 06:33 AM
"Dude."

Pretty much. Him and Pat Mac could have an entire conversation with that word.

Just use a tourniquet and it'll be fine.

BaiHu
08-12-2014, 07:10 AM
All of those guys who that type of lingo reminds me of this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAguP-zY2AA
Thank you for that throw back. I haven't thought about that character in a good decade plus. He was hilarious on "In Living Color."

Chuck Haggard
08-12-2014, 07:29 AM
I like kit. I picked it up from some Brits I trained with, however, comma, it's not really new.

What's that neat little old .22 wheelgun that S&W used to make, they called it a "what" gun again?

The old song said you should pack up your troubles in your old what bag, and, well, I forget the rest of the words, but the synopsis is summarized by FIDO

Yeah. Kit is fine.

Carry on.

mc1911
08-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Nah.....just that if I'm going to a class (which I haven't in a while), I would prefer to wear street clothes as opposed to duty/tactical garments made for gunfightin' and stuff. The latter makes it easy. The former is not designed with fighting in mind, but it's what I'll be wearing when carrying a gun...so it's what makes sense to wear in classes, so that I could have more exposure to whether it's suitable to wear at all.

I know, I was just playing around with some of the catch phrases

2alpha-down0
08-12-2014, 02:42 PM
High Speed, Low Drag.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-12-2014, 03:11 PM
They called the gun a Model 63 and are making them again. Hey, I was told in a class I was high speed, low drag. I prefer FOG.

BWT
08-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Efficiency. Dynamic. Mindset. In the real world. Bro.

I'm sure I can think of others...

Dagga Boy
08-12-2014, 03:57 PM
I think a lot of this comes down to if you are saying stuff to sound like someone you are not, or out of context.

If you get a bunch of old former cops and mil guys around, "Dude" will be part of that vocabulary with nobody trying. I am good friends with Steve Tarani an been training with him for 15 years...."optimal" and "less than optimal" is just how he says stuff to his target audience and it works for those teaching to some audiences where you can't use profanity to emphasize things.
Pat Rogers "just say'in" isn't trying to be cool and he is infectious......although I tend to poke fun of him about acronyms.......
Which leads me to many here......who have total conversations in the P-F glasshouse about MUC ing while AMIS so you don't get into a FUT where you might have to go SHO or WHO.....:confused:.

Tamara
08-12-2014, 04:24 PM
So, basically you're saying to HTFU? ;)

Dagga Boy
08-12-2014, 05:33 PM
So, basically you're saying to HTFU? ;)

No, because at Pistol Forum we talk about "kittens" and the mere mention of if somebody's mom is hot is repulsive, and yet watching cartoons about some guy named Archer or Archie (or both...:confused:) is interesting. No, Tam the this is place needs a lot of work on HTFU.

NETim
08-12-2014, 05:40 PM
I refuse to let this thread get inside my OODA loop.

Trigger
08-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Disrespect.

Is. Not. A. Verb.

I hate hearing, "He disrespected me!"

SA. Yes, situational awareness is a fighter pilot term, and SA has been completely taken out of context as it evolved into general use. (See what I did there?)

NEPAKevin
08-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Not sure if this counts, but earlier this week, I had a millennial bro logic me with "because 'yo dog' that's why."

Tamara
08-13-2014, 04:02 PM
"because 'yo dog' that's why."

Being from the South, my first thought on hearing that would be "What about mah dawg?" :confused:

Totem Polar
08-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Regrettably, the new S&W M&P release forces the addition of "tactical rimfire pistol" to my brown list of terms.

If you aren't in the OSS, and if your gamby isn't a High Standard HDM, then GTFO.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Modern Sporting Rifle - euphemism that is supposed to convince Bloomberg, Diane, Schumer, Biden, etc. to let you keep your EBR as it is fun and nice gun! It's for sport.

That negates the purpose of 2nd Amend. - It's not for sport or protecting your bowling ball. Also, knowing something about EBR's and attitudes, it would influence an antigunner one bit.

orionz06
08-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Modern Sporting Rifle - euphemism that is supposed to convince Bloomberg, Diane, Schumer, Biden, etc. to let you keep your EBR as it is fun and nice gun! It's for sport.

That negates the purpose of 2nd Amend. - It's not for sport or protecting your bowling ball. Also, knowing something about EBR's and attitudes, it would influence an antigunner one bit.

Except when I use this to explain an AR to a soccer mom it works. She won't march on Washington for our rights but she won't run around spreading BS.

Stephen
08-14-2014, 12:32 PM

I'm pretty sure that term is for the benefit of the ignorant masses and fence-sitters, not the avowed antis. It sounds so contrived to me, but I don't have any better ideas.

And I'm going to agree with the people that said talking about "running" gear sounds goofy.

LittleLebowski
08-14-2014, 01:06 PM
No, because at Pistol Forum we talk about "kittens" and the mere mention of if somebody's mom is hot is repulsive, and yet watching cartoons about some guy named Archer or Archie (or both...:confused:) is interesting. No, Tam the this is place needs a lot of work on HTFU.

Why don't you take a step back and realize that this place is being ran according to someone else's rules. It's not like the forum staff is inaccessible to you if you have constructive criticism (remember those PMs I sent you last week that you ignored?). I'm probably headed back to the ER today for something.....not good and I'm very certain I've complained less about that than you have about this forum.

Dagga Boy
08-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Why don't you take a step back and realize that this place is being ran according to someone else's rules. It's not like the forum staff is inaccessible to you if you have constructive criticism (remember those PMs I sent you last week that you ignored?). I'm probably headed back to the ER today for something.....not good and I'm very certain I've complained less about that than you have about this forum.

Sorry, not enough smilies. It was in reference to hardness......"tactical lingo" and if we can't laugh a little in the Romper Room, I guess I am as wrong here as in the Law Enforcement Forum.

Good Luck (and that is in a 100% genuine serious tone) on whatever issues you are having and I wish you well here on future endeavors.

rob_s
08-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Interesting what happens when one goes from being a peon to a boss...

BobLoblaw
08-14-2014, 01:32 PM
"Solid purchase"

cuz "good grip" is too amibiguous..

Glenn E. Meyer
08-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Modern Sporting Rifle = modern bambi killer or hole punching machine for life like targets (used by nuts who practice shooting life like targets).

I still think it is silly and saw a Guns and Ammo clip on the tube were an old geezer held an M4 and an identical looking semi and tried to say that the latter was nice and sporting. Knows nothing about PR, psychological theories of category formation or whatever. Oh, this one shoots a little slower, so don't take it from me! As compared to the greatest battle rifle ever - the Garand that held less rounds. What? How could that be a battle rifle?

Not to divert folks having a forum spat but the MSR is not a useful argument. I doubt if really would convince soccer moms. Except for the military derivative or SD 'sports' - now why do you need a 30 round clip full of cop-killer bullets to take your son hunting? This was was Joe Scarborough (a conservative) said on his Morning Joe crap show.

Back to funny terms now.

orionz06
08-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Modern Sporting Rifle = modern bambi killer or hole punching machine for life like targets (used by nuts who practice shooting life like targets).

I still think it is silly and saw a Guns and Ammo clip on the tube were an old geezer held an M4 and an identical looking semi and tried to say that the latter was nice and sporting. Knows nothing about PR, psychological theories of category formation or whatever. Oh, this one shoots a little slower, so don't take it from me! As compared to the greatest battle rifle ever - the Garand that held less rounds. What? How could that be a battle rifle?

Not to divert folks having a forum spat but the MSR is not a useful argument. I doubt if really would convince soccer moms. Except for the military derivative or SD 'sports' - now why do you need a 30 round clip full of cop-killer bullets to take your son hunting? This was was Joe Scarborough (a conservative) said on his Morning Joe crap show.

Back to funny terms now.

Soccer moms in western PA it does. These are women who have bigger trucks than most posters here, not some Civic.

LittleLebowski
08-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Interesting what happens when one goes from being a peon to a boss...

Constructive criticism in a PM is welcome, folks but the above is how NOT to do it. Guess who's never contacted the forum Staff with concerns/gripes?

Carry on with the thread.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-14-2014, 05:24 PM
That's not a real soccer mom, that's a mom with reasonable views who let's their kid play soccer.

T.Stahl
08-14-2014, 05:42 PM
The ones that make me smile are:
"Workspace", which I agree with.
"Weapon system", which I think is a hyperbole. A Leopard 2 is weapon system but what I hold in hands is just a weapon or a gun.

CompressionIgnition
08-14-2014, 08:38 PM
"Solid purchase"

cuz "good grip" is too amibiguous..

"Purchase" as in "grip" is commonly used in British English though, so I suspect this is simply an imported Britishism

Tamara
08-14-2014, 08:50 PM
"Purchase" as in "grip" is commonly used in British English though, so I suspect this is simply an imported Britishism

This. It's fun to trot out the little vocabulary poodles and make them jump through hoops to entertain the guests, too.

CompressionIgnition
08-14-2014, 09:01 PM
This. It's fun to trot out the little vocabulary poodles and make them jump through hoops to entertain the guests, too.

THAT is a fantastically entertaining mental image!

joshs
08-14-2014, 09:03 PM

Back to funny terms now.

I also think it's disingenuous because most people do not own are ARs, AKs, FALs, etc. for sport. Even NSSF's own data shows that people own "MSRs" primarily for target shooting and home defense.

Tamara
08-14-2014, 09:45 PM
...most people do not own are ARs, AKs, FALs, etc. for sport. Even NSSF's own data shows that people own "MSRs" primarily for target shooting...

Errr, but..? :o

JDM
08-14-2014, 10:20 PM
I like to add "Modern Sporting" or "Modern Sport" as a prefix to all sorts of things that are misunderstood or could use a PR boost.

Those guys aren't looting, they are engaged in Modern Sport Shopping!

joshs
08-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Errr, but..? :o

I don't think informal target shooting is "sport." There was a separate option for competition that was one of the least selected options. Besides, we have a pretty good idea about how many people use ARs for actual competition, and it's very small compared to the 6M+ (I'm taking an educated guess at the 2013 manufacturing numbers) in circulation. "Target shooting" alone doesn't explain why the shooter is target shooting. It could be in preparation for defensive use, hunting or competition. Since "home defense" was the second most selected option, I think it's a relatively safe assumption that, for a lot of the respondents, their target shooting was defensive related (at least in their own minds).

TCinVA
08-14-2014, 10:36 PM
I like to add "Modern Sporting" or "Modern Sport" as a prefix to all sorts of things that are misunderstood or could use a PR boost.

Undocumented retail.

Failure2Stop
08-14-2014, 10:48 PM

Slow clap.

Tamara
08-14-2014, 11:02 PM
I don't think informal target shooting is "sport." There was a separate option for competition that was one of the least selected options. Besides, we have a pretty good idea about how many people use ARs for actual competition, and it's very small compared to the 6M+ (I'm taking an educated guess at the 2013 manufacturing numbers) in circulation. "Target shooting" alone doesn't explain why the shooter is target shooting. It could be in preparation for defensive use, hunting or competition. Since "home defense" was the second most selected option, I think it's a relatively safe assumption that, for a lot of the respondents, their target shooting was defensive related (at least in their own minds).

Most dirtshooters IME are there for the "Pewpewpew!" first and maybe rehearsing for home defense against zombies and Russian armored divisions second.

I kept my 10/22 in the trunk of my car in high school and had a pretty detailed plan of how I was gonna run out to the parking lot and go all WOLVERINES! if the 103rd Guards Airborne started landing in the parking lot, but I have no qualms saying that my target shooting with it was mostly of a sporting nature. ;)

(Personally, I have no problems calling the things Militia Rifles if everybody else wants to. I bought that 10/22 because my AP US Gov't teacher said that everybody should do two things when they turned 18: register to vote and buy a rifle. ;) )

Totem Polar
08-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Undocumented retail.
Not bad. Not bad at all.

PPGMD
08-15-2014, 08:08 AM

If you are attempting to rob a store with Roof Koreans (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/sks/4614862334.html), it might be a sport of some sort.

Mr_White
08-15-2014, 11:13 AM
I use the term 'purchase' when referring to the thumb effectively pushing up on the slide stop lever to lock the slide open. When I think of 'grip', I think of using more of the hand to hold something than just the edge of the thumb. Purchase makes sense to me there. I use grip to refer to a single or two handed grasp on a pistol. Or a large quantity of something, like a big sweaty wad of cash money, or a safe full of G17s or something.

David Armstrong
08-15-2014, 03:26 PM
I attended a civilian response to active shooters (CRAS) course this weekend with Paul Howe in Nacogdoches. Unfortunately, I couldn't complete the class due to vestigial bronchitis, but I did pick up a new piece of terminology: “Plotting.”

Used in a sentence: “Look around. There may be other bad guys, they may be plotting on you. That’s okay, because I’m plotting on them too.”

So I'm curious: what's everyone's favorite tactical / tacticool terminology?

[Sorry if this has been covered previously - I searched and couldn't find anything.]
"Civilian response to active shooters" would seem to be a good fit, ironic as that is.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Ultimate 1911 or Ultimate Man Stopper - which appears on the cover of most major gun periodicals every month.

NerdAlert
08-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Off the top I'd say my least favorite has got to be modern sporting rifle. Why can't we just go with semi automatic rifle or auto loading rifle? Because they have the word auto?

Anyway, I have really enjoyed this thread and all of my favorites have been mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and real words.

JR1572
08-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Run.

JR1572

BWT
08-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Knockdown power or stopping power.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Anybody say - Energy Dump - sorry if I missed it.

TGS
08-17-2014, 10:59 AM
"Civilian response to active shooters" would seem to be a good fit, ironic as that is.

I agree, simply because the use of the word "civilian" has been perverted to try and differentiate between LEOs and private citizens carrying on a CCW.

Cops are civilians.......at least according to international treatises and accepted definitions, which are what actually matter when determining who is a civilian.

Off the top I'd say my least favorite has got to be modern sporting rifle. Why can't we just go with semi automatic rifle or auto loading rifle? Because they have the word auto?

Agreed. MSR implies it only has a sole purpose, which is entirely inaccurate.

I refer to it as it is: a carbine.

Chance
08-17-2014, 06:42 PM

I would take minor issue in that the way a uniformed police officer, and the way your average gun-toting schmuck (such as myself :D), might sort-of should handle things could be fairly substantially different. I've never really liked the term "active shooter" though. It seems... sterile.

Off the top I'd say my least favorite has got to be modern sporting rifle. Why can't we just go with semi automatic rifle or auto loading rifle?

I agree, I've never liked the term "modern sporting rifle". Maybe I give naysayers too much credit, but that term seems too PC to pass muster. I'm not sure I could provide more persuasive terminology though - maybe call it a "multi-purpose easy-to-use projectile-emitting man-portable potentially-defensive point-and-click instrument" An MEPMPPI? Pronounced phonetically, of course. :)

Trooper224
08-18-2014, 04:13 AM
"Ne plus ultra" Anyone remember that little gift by Mas Ayoob from back in the day?

dbateman
08-18-2014, 09:02 AM
I don't really have any favourites.

Plotting is one you hear in Aussie land from time to time but it's usually said by old army guys, not to common for me to hear nowadays.

Kit is pretty common but again it depends on who is saying it as to how I respond to it.

The biggest thing I find is it depends on who is doing the talking and if they know what they're talking about.
Seems in the last six months or so I've run into a few wankers who try to pass themselves of as SAS or commandos, and what is the go with people wearing mechanics gloves at the range ?? I can not get my head around that.

LittleLebowski
08-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Yeah, a lot depends on who's doing the talking. If you're covered in tactical gear and are grossly out of shape; I'm ignoring you or very possibly outright making fun of you.

Re: the Mechanix gloves. They're trendy but....they work and they're cheap.

jetfire
08-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Yeah, a lot depends on who's doing the talking. If you're covered in tactical gear and are grossly out of shape; I'm ignoring you or very possibly outright making fun of you.

I keep a pair in my range bag for helping tear down stages after a match. And because having a cheap semi-disposable pair of gloves is a great idea.

Terence
08-18-2014, 12:23 PM
(Personally, I have no problems calling the things Militia Rifles if everybody else wants to. I bought that 10/22 because my AP US Gov't teacher said that everybody should do two things when they turned 18: register to vote and buy a rifle. ;) )

Your teachers sounds like the guy who taught Mr. Rico in Starship Troopers. I did HS in South Africa in the early 90s, and my history teacher was a former intel officer in the Rhodesian Army. He said similar sorts of things.

Terence
08-18-2014, 12:24 PM
2 years ago I took a carbine class where I was told to 'stage my gear' from a certain spot. It took me a second or two to realize he meant "put your stuff over there."

NEPAKevin
08-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Yeah, a lot depends on who's doing the talking.

I was walking by the living room and my wife was watching the Jersey Housewives. Overheard one saying that for her "failure is not an option." With only a couple of exceptions, I already have no love for reality TV and just walked away and tried to go to my happy place.

Tamara
08-18-2014, 03:25 PM
I keep a pair in my range bag for helping tear down stages after a match. And because having a cheap semi-disposable pair of gloves is a great idea.

Totally stealing this idea. Thanks!

Tamara
08-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Your teachers sounds like the guy who taught Mr. Rico in Starship Troopers. I did HS in South Africa in the early 90s, and my history teacher was a former intel officer in the Rhodesian Army. He said similar sorts of things.

He was a big Thomas Jefferson fan, yes. :D

ASH556
08-18-2014, 03:50 PM
I had a fun one from the shop this past Saturday. I'm walking down the counter and overhear another employee (young former Marine) telling a customer how he "engaged a pig." I stopped dead, turned and asked him where in the kitten he found a ring big enough to go on a pig's hoof...he stared dumbly for a few seconds before the customer caught my little joke and laughed. I then made a mockery of "tactically operating" towards the swine and "engaging" it.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-18-2014, 03:58 PM
An armed society is a polite society - if we are talking RAH. People didn't read the book. The society was some kind of genetically determined autocracy. Being armed was part of posturing and the armed folks were not pleasant to others and women. They would fight over minor slights. The main hero wasn't happy with it and was thinking of taken up the broussard (sp?) which indicated you weren't armed as he thought the posturing was foolish. His friend and genetic mentor (trying to get him to breed with the right mate) was horrifed as it would mark Felix as a wussy. Felix was a touch retro as he had a 1911 made up. He shot a brave with it who was shocked as the latter expected a neat cauterized ray gun wound. Felix found a girl friend who was experimental genetic type (so she was acceptable to breed) and she carried a blaster (not expected of women).

Thus the often quote phrase isn't really understood for its implications in the book.

Terence
08-18-2014, 04:24 PM
That doesn't sound like Starship Troopers to me.

LittleLebowski
08-18-2014, 04:49 PM

He's talking about Beyond This Horizon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743435613/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0743435613&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20).

jetfire
08-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Totally stealing this idea. Thanks!

I don't like splinters; plus they're great for picking up all steel stages if you don't want to get spray paint on your hands.

jetfire
08-18-2014, 05:04 PM

Starship Troopers is one the where the equivalent of a TSA employee would get to become a voting citizen, but a private businessman couldn't.

Tamara
08-18-2014, 05:21 PM
An armed society is a polite society - if we are talking RAH. People didn't read the book. The society was some kind of genetically determined autocracy. Being armed was part of posturing and the armed folks were not pleasant to others and women. They would fight over minor slights. The main hero wasn't happy with it and was thinking of taken up the broussard (sp?) which indicated you weren't armed as he thought the posturing was foolish. His friend and genetic mentor (trying to get him to breed with the right mate) was horrifed as it would mark Felix as a wussy. Felix was a touch retro as he had a 1911 made up. He shot a brave with it who was shocked as the latter expected a neat cauterized ray gun wound. Felix found a girl friend who was experimental genetic type (so she was acceptable to breed) and she carried a blaster (not expected of women).

Thus the often quote phrase isn't really understood for its implications in the book.

"Brassard".

And yes, it's a reference to dueling, as the entire quote is "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

If you haven't read Gentlemen's Blood by Holland or The Secret History of the Sword by Amberger, I recommend them. The latter, especially.

PPGMD
08-18-2014, 05:28 PM
I don't like splinters; plus they're great for picking up all steel stages if you don't want to get spray paint on your hands.

It is also good to use them so you don't get experience what tetanus feels like.

Anyways I think that "tactical" gloves are overdone, but there are uses for them even if you aren't decked out in MOLLE.

dbateman
08-18-2014, 07:21 PM

I get an even bigger laugh when they're so dense they don't even realise they're the joke.
I experinced this the other day when I encountered a fellow who calls himself "Dangerous"

It is also good to use them so you don't get experience what tetanus feels like.

Anyways I think that "tactical" gloves are overdone, but there are uses for them even if you aren't decked out in MOLLE.

Don't get me wrong I wear mechanics gloves but I'm a earthmoving mechanic, I use them when changing hot turbos on engines that have just been shutdown or changing 3500 heads ect.
They are a good bit of kit :p my issue of late seems to be quite a few people wearing them down at the range whilst shooting. I mean they are running a CZ452 not a Mag58. Whats that all about ?

Failure2Stop
08-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Bringing mechanix gloves in your range bag is like bringing condoms on shore leave: a sign of wisdom and experience, gained either from your suffering or another's. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others, given the opportunity.

jetfire
08-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Bringing mechanix gloves in your range bag is like bringing condoms on shore leave: a sign of wisdom and experience, gained either from your suffering or another's. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others, given the opportunity.

This one time, in Lisbon

Alpha Sierra
08-19-2014, 04:21 AM
"Tactical Timmy" heard at various USPSA matches.........

NETim
08-19-2014, 07:28 AM
"Tactical Timmy" heard at various USPSA matches.........

And what I wouldn't give to see Col. Cooper rise from the grave and give the arbiters of "Tactical Timmy" a good, sharp rap on the noggin.

And then they man up and stay on to help tear down, with or without gloves.

Alpha Sierra
08-19-2014, 07:56 AM
And what I wouldn't give to see Col. Cooper rise from the grave and give the arbiters of "Tactical Timmy" a good, sharp rap on the noggin.

And then they man up and stay on to help tear down, with or without gloves.

USPSA is about as "practical" as IDPA is "defensive"........

NETim
08-19-2014, 08:10 AM
USPSA is about as "practical" as IDPA is "defensive"........

Both are games. Both are fun. Both test skills. The naysayers and other supreme beings should step off to the side and stay out of the way. We all get to approach the games the way we see fit.

This past Sunday, I IDPA'ed in Chiggerville, KS. One stage wasn't quite IDPA kosher (multi-colored guns etc) and I resolved to shoot it slow to avoid putting down one of these crafty "no shoots." I took 93 some odd seconds to run it. (A hallway, two rooms, another hallway... lots of corners... never in a hurry to go anywhere.) I'm sure I got branded a "Tactical Timmy" by the pros but I used cover as God intended it to be used. :) I still managed to tag a no-shoot that was sporting a very black looking "blue gun". 3 nicely centered holes in the middle of Down Zero. Best three shots I fired the entire match. :)

Tamara
08-19-2014, 08:17 AM
He was a collaborator.

NETim
08-19-2014, 08:21 AM
He was a collaborator.

:)

Failure2Stop
08-19-2014, 08:31 AM
NEPUT
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

Glenn E. Meyer
08-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Tam - my daughter bought me Gentleman's Blood for a present. I prefer to use Michael from Stranger in a Strange Land's combat techniques. You just disappear at my will.

Tactical Tim - at IDPA - best one was a guy yelling drop the gun or get on the ground to each target before shooting it.

Alpha Sierra
08-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Tactical Tim - at IDPA - best one was a guy yelling drop the gun or get on the ground to each target before shooting it.

LMAO

jetfire
08-19-2014, 11:15 AM
NEPUT
Non-Electric Pop Up Target

People actually say that?

Failure2Stop
08-19-2014, 11:23 AM
People actually say that?
We weren't allowed to refer to runners off the objective as "squirters" at one point, thus "NEPUT" was born.

Chance
08-19-2014, 12:50 PM
We weren't allowed to refer to runners off the objective as "squirters" at one point, thus "NEPUT" was born.

New thread idea: tactical terminology you're not allowed to use.

NETim
08-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Tam - my daughter bought me Gentleman's Blood for a present. I prefer to use Michael from Stranger in a Strange Land's combat techniques. You just disappear at my will.

I stop well short of that. :) But I do like my cover and I do back away from doors once I open them. That's as far as I'll go I think. :)

Failure2Stop
08-19-2014, 03:44 PM
New thread idea: tactical terminology you're not allowed to use.

Booger Eaters
Apparently using the phrase in front of Field Grade Ossifers in reference to a bunch of dudes you just schwacked, and/or to your indigenous forces is frowned on...

jetfire
08-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Booger Eaters
Apparently using the phrase in front of Field Grade Ossifers in reference to a bunch of dudes you just schwacked, and/or to your indigenous forces is frowned on...

So that'd be like referring to a boat full of illegal aliens as a "Floating Taco Stand" in front of your ship's captain.

Tamara
08-19-2014, 03:50 PM

I don't know I'd've been able to bite my tongue for more than one stage. :o

jetfire
08-19-2014, 03:56 PM
I don't know I'd've been able to bite my tongue for more than one stage. :o

There is a dude I used to shoot with on the reg that would scan and asses while loading, yell "moving" when moving on IDPA stages, basically do the whole 9 yards. The thing is, he was/is a really nice guy.

Doublestack45
08-19-2014, 04:40 PM
I still like "Burn Him Down", conjures up all kinds of scary imagery.

Chance
08-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Booger Eaters

I had to look up what "ossifier" meant. For better or worse, I will now be using this term as often as possible. :D And "booger eater" will take its place amongst "savage" and "rag head" in my vernacular.

On reflection, some of the terminology I use didn't come from the tactical / tacticool world, but from me spending far too much time with video games. Pretty sure "loadout" was used in games like MechWarrior and Wing Commander, though it's a hassle to verify. I played Tribes 2 so much that "shazbot" worked its way into my vocabulary:

Me: "#@&! Shazbot!"
Any other normal person: "Did you just say 'shazbot'?"
Me: "Shut up."

CompressionIgnition
08-19-2014, 07:21 PM
I still like "Burn Him Down", conjures up all kinds of scary imagery.

I have to ask ... is that from WW2 ?

NEPAKevin
08-20-2014, 11:09 AM
I occasionally do stages that start with the shooter kicking down a door before engaging targets but to the best of my knowledge, so far no-one has vocalized "Leroy Jenkins" and charging in. There was a story that people like to tell that involved Ray Chapman yelling something to the effect "get down all you nuns and school girls" then with out regard to threat/non-threat indicators furiously hosing every target on the stage.

PPGMD
08-20-2014, 11:18 AM
I occasionally do stages that start with the shooter kicking down a door before engaging targets but to the best of my knowledge, so far no-one has vocalized "Leroy Jenkins" and charging in. There was a story that people like to tell that involved Ray Chapman yelling something to the effect "get down all you nuns and school girls" then with out regard to threat/non-threat indicators furiously hosing every target on the stage.

If you are going to do Leeroy Jenkins, when you are signing your score sheet you are required to say "At least I have chicken."

RJ
08-20-2014, 11:33 AM

Well, this noob is glad to hear that.

I have a pair of brown (or is it 'earth'?) colored mechanix gloves I use in the RV doing odd jobs at camp.

I would have liked to have them at my initial introduction to Practical Shooting course here in Tampa. I stayed to help disassemble and pack away all the stands, boundary markets, steel frames etc. and it would have been great to have them. I'm no lumberjack so my hands are pretty soft.

I don't think I will wear them at the range though.

Thanks for the tip.

Alpha Sierra
08-20-2014, 12:41 PM
If you are going to do Leeeeeeeroy Jeeeeeeenkiiiiiins, when you are signing your score sheet you are required to say "At least I have chicken."

LOL I was waiting for that one......

Jeep
08-20-2014, 01:01 PM

Which, a war or two ago, were known as "pop-up, shoot-back targets."

PPGMD
08-20-2014, 01:41 PM
LOL I was waiting for that one......

Part of me wants to go shoot an IDPA match just to do that.

I can't think of many USPSA stages where I can pull that off due to the way the shooting areas are.

But in an IDPA match, shoot all the stages normally until you get to the last stage, and Leeroy Jenkins it, run beyond cover and cap every target including non-threats (kick down close range steel so they can't DQ you).

When you go to sign your score sheet pull out some chicken jerky.

jetfire
08-20-2014, 03:55 PM

I can't think of many USPSA stages where I can pull that off due to the way the shooting areas are.

But in an IDPA match, shoot all the stages normally until you get to the last stage, and Leeroy Jenkins it, run beyond cover and cap every target including non-threats (kick down close range steel so they can't DQ you).

To this day I wish I'd yelled "NO SURVIVORS" on that humanoid vision barrier stage at last year's nats.

NETim
08-20-2014, 04:01 PM
To this day I wish I'd yelled "NO SURVIVORS" on that humanoid vision barrier stage at last year's nats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aARaYjgm_rA

Seven_Sicks_Two
08-20-2014, 07:39 PM
I heard a new one (to me) in an armorer class yesterday... "Sequence Critical". As in, "It is important to follow these steps in the correct order."

Alpha Sierra
08-20-2014, 09:19 PM
I heard a new one (to me) in an armorer class yesterday... "Sequence Critical". "
Crap, now I realize that as a nuclear power plant engineer in the Navy, I WAS tactical.

"the reactor is critical"

Alpha Sierra
08-20-2014, 09:20 PM

HAHAHAHA.....

Here is the man, the legend. FF to 1:24 for the money shot:

http://youtu.be/sCgjhYeIqmo

Trooper224
08-21-2014, 01:57 AM
"cartridge presentment positioning"

Just saw this twenty dollar term here in another thread. Spicy. ;)

Dr. No
08-23-2014, 04:49 PM

There was some arguing over the fastest way to engage/evaluate non-threats inside a structure. It was Ray's turn to shoot and he said "All you nuns and school girls better hit the ground cus I'm shooting any m-f'r standing". He then ran through the structure and shot every target.

ADulay
08-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Orientate.

Arrrrrgh!

Any time I hear someone say that it just makes me want to pull my teeth out.

AD

Glenn E. Meyer
08-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Did anyone say 'piece, roscoe or gat'? I was reading a thread elsewhere where a person was talking about how to draw his carry piece if someone was aiming a gun at him.

In a class, we had to draw and shoot. A gentleman brought some kind of 22 LR semi to class (oh, well) and on the draw threw it about 15 feet down range.

He said - I seem to have thrown my piece away. I've seen gat or roscoe used once in awhile. :)

Question, if someone throws his gat at you - do you try to catch it? What if it is a Colt Python?

Wheeler
08-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Howdy,

Situational Awareness

Any time someone mentions it I write them off as being a Keyboard Kommando, Gun Store Kommando or Mall Ninja that has played "Call of Dooty" a few times too many.

Back in the "Day" it was called "paying attention" or "aware of your surroundings ".

Someone mentioned "Dude". I say "Dude" all the time.

Paul

Pretty sure Claude Werner uses that term quite a bit in his classes. Then again, back in the day he was an SF Team Leader too. :-)

I use "dude" a lot as well.

I also use "kit". I have tool kit. I have a fishing kit. I want a S&W Model 34 kit gun.

The term 'ruck' was used a lot during my brief sojourn in the National Guard. We went on ruck marches carrying our rucks. I don't recall that I've ever heard that term used elsewhere.