PDA

View Full Version : The Glock "CQB Standoff" dongle

DonovanM
07-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I speak of course of this not-at-all ridiculous piece of engineering:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/vehementi/789_6_39.jpg

It's designed so the gun doesn't push out of battery if you were to press it into the body of an assailant. Apparently. Looks like the Mad Max Meat Mallet to me. This is a complete farce, right?

In my unenlightened opinion, not only do I think that shooting properly from retention would completely eliminate the possibility of this happening, but pressing your gun against someone else's body is just begging to have it taken away, meat tenderizer attached to the front or not. It seems like it's just another ridiculous, expensive hardware solution to a non-existent software problem.

I haven't had the opportunity to take an ECQC or similar course though, so any veterans of such please educate me on the usefulness of such a dongle.

Apparently it's discontinued anyway, but I am genuinely curious. And if anyone intends to bring it back under the Mad Max Meat Mallet brand name, I demand royalties :cool:

Kyle Reese
07-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Like pistol bayonets, people will buy them.

GearScout
07-11-2011, 10:49 PM
I always thought those pistol bayonets were novelties! People actually use them??

I can see how adding a blade to the end of a rifle creates a spear. But, a blade on the end of a pistol? That's like putting a snowplow on a Civic.

Kyle Reese
07-11-2011, 10:54 PM
I always thought those pistol bayonets were novelties! People actually use them??

I can see how adding a blade to the end of a rifle creates a spear. But, a blade on the end of a pistol? That's like putting a snowplow on a Civic.

Not sure who (if anyone) uses em, I just know they are available. :o

ranburr
07-12-2011, 02:16 AM
It is an attempt to turn a Glock into a snubbie. A contact shot from a .38 is devastating. Take SouthNarc's ECQC course and you will see where a contact shot is a viable option. Not saying this toy is a viable option.

Mitchell, Esq.
07-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Exactly when does one put the fucking thing on his gun?

Nobody makes holsters which allow for it, and once I draw I'm not fucking with attaching it.

Maybe it is a solution to a problem...but no delivery system to the situation.

TCinVA
07-12-2011, 06:41 AM
I know of multiple police officers who have had to use muzzle strikes and/or contact shots to deal with bad men who intended to kill them. I don't believe any that I'm aware of had a doohickey attached to the rail to protect the slide from being knocked out of battery.

Dropkick
07-12-2011, 08:22 AM
I haven't had the opportunity to take an ECQC or similar course though, so any veterans of such please educate me on the usefulness of such a dongle.

I have not taken ECQC either, but I know people that can firmly attest that contact shots do happen. The concept as it has been explained to me is that ideally* you're shooting from a retention posistion, but sometimes during a "FUT" you can only make do with the shots you've got.

*Ideally, your shooting from full extension, but it's not likely.
FUT = Foxtrot'd Up Tangle

As for this "dongle" I say, "meh." Someone could just as easily grab your slide to put it out of battery, or push the gun aside to stay out of the line of fire at contact ranges.

fuse
07-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Not sure who (if anyone) uses em, I just know they are available. :o

Bro I AIWB carry that bro.

JHC
07-12-2011, 06:29 PM
If the factory Glock design incorporated a standard "stand off" structure of the frame, it would be hailed as a brilliant design feature missing from all lesser semi autos.

DonovanM
07-12-2011, 06:31 PM
If the factory Glock design incorporated a standard "stand off" structure of the frame, it would be hailed as a brilliant design feature missing from all lesser semi autos.

...on GlockTalk at least.

jslaker
07-12-2011, 07:01 PM

This is the stated reason for the guide rod protruding past the muzzle of the XD. It's one of the few things about the design that I don't think is a completely terrible idea.

JHC
07-12-2011, 08:08 PM
...on GlockTalk at least.

LOL that much for sure anyway. But still . . . ;)

jumpthestack
07-13-2011, 03:36 PM
If you just put a flashlight like the X300 on your gun, you have the same standoff effect... plus you'd have a flashlight. And they make holsters to fit them.

Kyle Reese
07-13-2011, 04:01 PM
This is the stated reason for the guide rod protruding past the muzzle of the XD. It's one of the few things about the design that I don't think is a completely terrible idea.

There are other ways to strike an enemy with your handgun, if for some reason a muzzle strike cannot be achieved. This feature, like most other aspects of the XD, are an answer to a question no one asked.

jslaker
07-13-2011, 04:37 PM
This feature, like most other aspects of the XD, are an answer to a question no one asked.

I don't particularly disagree. On the other hand, its presence doesn't really negatively affect anything either.

JHC
07-13-2011, 06:41 PM
This feature, like most other aspects of the XD, are an answer to a question no one asked.

Jeff Cooper used to say that about other valuable and useful developments. And I care not for this add on feature as it takes too long for gizmos to be truly proven out like so many aftermarket parts.

Dropkick
07-14-2011, 07:29 AM
If you just put a flashlight like the X300 on your gun, you have the same standoff effect... plus you'd have a flashlight. And they make holsters to fit them.

So I should get a light with a huge instant-death bezel?
:rolleyes:

Just kidding, that is a decent idea.
:)

Jay Cunningham
07-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Bro I AIWB carry that bro.

Good one!

SouthNarc
07-14-2011, 08:42 AM
A piece of equipment that is designed to be used with a sub-optimal method of solving a specific gun-fight problem (0-5') is in my opinion not the way to go. Contact shots and projecting the gun entangled will 99.5% of the time create more problems than it solves in my opinion and experience.

DonovanM
07-16-2011, 10:49 PM
A piece of equipment that is designed to be used with a sub-optimal method of solving a specific gun-fight problem (0-5') is in my opinion not the way to go. Contact shots and projecting the gun entangled will 99.5% of the time create more problems than it solves in my opinion and experience.

Thanks for chiming in! I knew it. :)

section8usmc
07-28-2011, 06:25 AM
You guys are all missing the whole point ! It has built in blue tooth & WiFi !

Gadfly
07-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Reminds me of this piece of Rambo-wanna-be crap that graced the cover some gun rag years back...
(Sorry, I could not get the photo to load, so here is a link...)

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/chivalries/strikegun2.jpg

This 1911 has the muzzle device to assist in contact shots, as well as a "skull crusher" spike on the mainspring housing. Must hurt like hell to fumble a speed reload with this thing.

DonovanM
07-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Reminds me of this piece of Rambo-wanna-be crap that graced the cover some gun rag years back...
(Sorry, I could not get the photo to load, so here is a link...)

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/chivalries/strikegun2.jpg

This 1911 has the muzzle device to assist in contact shots, as well as a "skull crusher" spike on the mainspring housing. Must hurt like hell to fumble a speed reload with this thing.

Or reloading at all. Jesus, that thing looks like it belongs in the movie Underworld.

Do you know what the claimed purpose of the "cage" around the firing pin recess is?

ToddG
07-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Do you know what the claimed purpose of the "cage" around the firing pin recess is?

Just a SWAG, but I'd say:

protects the hammer from snagging, and/or
protects the hammer from slipping to the half-cock or fire notch if the back of the slide is struck or used to strike.
While I was at SIG I worked with an agency that absolutely insisted we bob the hammers on some new guns they were buying "to reduce the odds of snagging during a draw from concealment." I asked if they'd ever had an instance where someone had snagged the hammer on a draw operationally or even during training and the answer was no. But still, just in case... :rolleyes:

DonovanM
07-28-2011, 10:13 PM
But still, just in case... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the insight. I've caught my thumb on my shirt while practicing AIWB draws from concealment, maybe I should cut IT off... but then I'd have to swap my mag release to the other side. No thanks.

I think this kind of logic, unchecked, is what leads people to thinking they need to carry 2 guns and 4 spare mags. Has anyone, who's not operating in their official capacity, ever needed that much firepower? No way Jose.

JHC
07-29-2011, 05:18 AM
I think this kind of logic, unchecked, is what leads people to thinking they need to carry 2 guns and 4 spare mags. Has anyone, who's not operating in their official capacity, ever needed that much firepower? No way Jose.

Oouch. Jumped the shark there.

When I've been in a bind, that would feel like a minimum load. 2 guns and 4 mags makes more sense than these bolt on exoskeletons.

Gadfly
07-30-2011, 08:53 PM

There was a time in my life when I read every gun rag I could. Long before I realized that the editors love advertising revenue more than actual information... That time was way back in college, when I was excited to get my American Handgunner and read about pistols such as this. Pistols that HAD TO BE GOOD! If it was in a major magazine, the this had to what I had to own to fight off evil. Ahhh youth.

If I recall correctly, this pistol was supposed to be some super CQB type gun. So it's maker was afraid that in close quarters, the gun might get jammed into someones body, hence the need for the muzzle protection device. Or, that you would be so close to the bad guy, he would stick the web of his hand between the hammer and firing pin, and thus stop you from shooting. Hence, the fancy "cage" attachment back by the hammer. I guess, at this distance, the super-duper-pistol-whippin-skull-crusher-spike is meant to be deployed.

As someone who has packed a pistol at the 4 o'clock position on his waist for years, I was mostly looking at this thinking about how badly it would tear up the upholstery in my car. Or, God forbid if I went to lay down on my sofa wearing this thing. So much for those cushions. My wife would use the super-tactical-spike-thingy on MY head...

jetfire
07-30-2011, 10:51 PM
@JHC - I think he was referring to non-LEO/mil types.

JHC
07-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Sure. But c'mon. Along the continuum of crazy, strapping on odd dongles is on another level than a backup gun and a few extra mags. ;) Just sayin'.

DonovanM
07-31-2011, 01:01 PM
I didn't clarify that very well, yes, I was talking about regular guy concealed carry.

Sure. But c'mon. Along the continuum of crazy, strapping on odd dongles is on another level than a backup gun and a few extra mags. ;) Just sayin'.

I'd say it's pretty similar. It's not insane like, say for instance, sharing a video espousing the benefits of dumping bodies after a home invasion. But there are times when things should really be left up to the rifle-toting professionals, and I'm really having a hard time envisioning a realistic situation that would call for 4 spare mags and didn't encroach on the men in black's territory.

I hate to bring up the legal perspective, but how would one explain that much firepower in court? Simply carrying 2 guns (which along with one spare magazine is at the upper limits of being reasonably prepared, IMO) would be simple: "In case one broke." Carrying 60 extra rounds of ammunition? I'm as pro-gun as they come, but if I was on that jury that would look a bit suspicious to me, and lend some amount of credence to the prosecution's inevitable argument that they were "looking for a fight." Can't imagine how it would appear to people who don't carry. Even the original dongle I posted has at least some reasonable basis to be explainable.

People have the right to carry whatever they want, as long as it's legal, but just because it's legal doesn't make it prudent (nor does it mean I can't make fun of them for it :D).