PDA

View Full Version : Glendale, AZ COPS tackle

Coyotesfan97
08-05-2014, 02:26 AM
http://www.cops.com/c2704a1/

If you listen you can hear the suspect gasp you got me. What a tackle!

Harm
08-05-2014, 10:59 AM
That was a takedown

orionz06
08-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Competition stuff again. Straight to the ground, concrete no less. Lucky the partners were there to keep any other competition habits from getting the him injured.

jetfire
08-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Competition stuff again. Straight to the ground, concrete no less. Lucky the partners were there to keep any other competition habits from getting the him injured.

That looked like a pretty good form tackle to me. Shoulder in first, good hip drive, land on the badguy.

orionz06
08-05-2014, 12:22 PM
He got lucky.

jetfire
08-05-2014, 12:25 PM
He got lucky.

TAZ
08-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Good hit. Decent for as well. Im dubious that he knew who he was tackling. Looks to me like he hit the firsts person running, but then I have no audio so I don't know if he was warned that they were coming his way.

jetfire
08-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Good hit. Decent for as well. Im dubious that he knew who he was tackling. Looks to me like he hit the firsts person running, but then I have no audio so I don't know if he was warned that they were coming his way.

He was warned, he said that he got a radio call that the dude was coming out his exit and then BAM.

pablo
08-05-2014, 01:19 PM
No control of the suspect's hands after the tackle the suspects hands (there's 5-6 seconds before anyone gets control of the suspect's right hand) have access to anything in his pockets or waist band and access to the officer's vest and belt. There's plenty of effort to shove the suspects face into the sidewalk, even though I'm pretty sure that it's "hands that kill". A lot of departments are implementing more and more restrictive taser policies that take one of the best and safest ways to end a foot chase away from officers, and leave the most dangerous and if on video the most brutal looking method as one of the few options.

Tackling and pig piling are really good ways to get stuck with a needle. Heroin has become a popular drug again, and way to many junkies out there with needles hidden in every imaginable place. I wouldn't wish a needlestick PEP on my worst enemy.

Coyotesfan97
08-05-2014, 04:05 PM
On the other hand Tasering a running suspect who face plants on concrete at speed looks pretty brutal too.

Chuck Haggard
08-05-2014, 04:48 PM
On the other hand Tasering a running suspect who face plants on concrete at speed looks pretty brutal too.

Because it is. People have died due to exactly that.

Tackles tend to result in injured coppers, which is why we don't teach or endorse that crap.

JHC
08-05-2014, 04:49 PM
I thought I'd read that tasing fast moving persons is one of the scenarios where getting the prongs to both hook up for the circuit is trickiest. Tackle gets harder after that I suppose.

Chuck Haggard
08-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Yes, hitting them on the run is tougher, but a quick look at the video of that dude in Hawaii shows what I am talking about when they do connect.

Coyotesfan97
08-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Chuck what are the chances the Officer in this video had a football or wrestling background and reverted to it? I've heard the hypothesis about this. This a good example of what looks cool at first glance but isn't so much when you review it in the light of day.

We just had a Taser deployment on a suicidal teen who was walking away from the Officer carrying a 12" butcher knife. He was Tased and fell locked up to the sidewalk and fractured his cheekbone.

LHS
08-05-2014, 05:22 PM
I wonder if that's something that's taught in this area. Some years ago, I saw some Mesa PD guy drill a fleeing felon with a tackle that quite honestly belonged on SportsCenter. It was glorious. The fact that the felon nearly rear-ended me as he blew a red light may have contributed to my schadenfreude.

Chuck Haggard
08-05-2014, 05:37 PM
From the double underhooks I am guessing dude has wrestled before.

Archimagirus
08-05-2014, 06:26 PM
What's crazy to me is the shoplifter loitered around long enough for PD to be called, arrive and observe selection and concealment in the loss prevention office. From selection to door, 95% of the shoplifters I observed were in and out in under 5-7 minutes. The others took their time and built up felony amounts of stuff that they walked out with. That tells me they were probably after this guy for awhile and called the cops as soon as they observed him inside.

Shellback
08-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Dude looked like he was palming something in his right hand at the take down. Thankfully it wasn't something pointy.

TR675
08-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Edited to remove a pointless post. Carry on.

Pup town
08-06-2014, 06:45 PM

He's right. That competition stuff will get you killed on the street.

Fortunately, my mother didn't let me play football, so, unlike this officer, I don't have any bad competition habits to break.

Mr_White
08-07-2014, 12:33 PM
He's right. That competition stuff will get you killed on the street.

Fortunately, my mother didn't let me play football, so, unlike this officer, I don't have any bad competition habits to break.

Not even drawing uncontrollably or otherwise responding when you hear a beep? I thought I remember you having some kind of problem with that. :)

45dotACP
08-07-2014, 01:34 PM

You kid, but there are some competitive sports whose habits may not get you killed, but would certainly get you fired. Is the NYPD the only PD in America that has an institutional dislike of sleeper holds?

Chuck Haggard
08-07-2014, 02:39 PM
You kid, but there are some competitive sports whose habits may not get you killed, but would certainly get you fired. Is the NYPD the only PD in America that has an institutional dislike of sleeper holds?

That really wasn't a sleeper, but no, they are not. It's common to have neck holds banned by department general orders

45dotACP
08-07-2014, 08:33 PM
That really wasn't a sleeper, but no, they are not. It's common to have neck holds banned by department general orders
Interesting. Is there similar prohibition on things like armbars, kimuras etc?

Chuck Haggard
08-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Interesting. Is there similar prohibition on things like armbars, kimuras etc?

Not that I have ever seen. Neck restraints got a bad rap from the LAPD mess back in the 1980s. I talk about all of that in my excited delirium training classes.

Pup town
08-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Not even drawing uncontrollably or otherwise responding when you hear a beep? I thought I remember you having some kind of problem with that. :)

The mods asked that I not talk about that incident. And really, I wish people would stop PMing me asking to see the x-Ray again. I'm starting to think some people had less than a medical interest in it.

Sensei
08-07-2014, 09:51 PM
From the double underhooks I am guessing dude has wrestled before.

Yep. He took a textbook mount fairly quickly/effortlessly which leads me to think that he has a grappling background. Nice job if you ask me.

45dotACP
08-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Yep. He took a textbook mount fairly quickly/effortlessly which leads me to think that he has a grappling background. Nice job if you ask me.
Well that and I would think getting dumped coccyx first on the concrete tends to make the average shoplifter think about things not related to fighting an armed police officer when his coworkers are right behind you. :)

That take down still makes me smile whenever I watch it. Though one of the reasons I couldn't be a cop is because every moment like that, I would feel the uncontrollable desire to scream "Gotcha dirtbag!"

LittleLebowski
08-08-2014, 06:28 AM
http://www.cops.com/c2704a1/

If you listen you can hear the suspect gasp you got me. What a tackle!

I'm still waiting for footage of a certain Dutch Shepherd taking down a suspect..............

Coyotesfan97
08-08-2014, 06:58 AM
I'm still waiting for footage of a certain Dutch Shepherd taking down a suspect..............

I'll have to find the Tough Dog video from the last K9 trial. No field footage so far...

Sensei
08-08-2014, 03:23 PM

This one?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcdYzCsKVn8

LittleLebowski
08-08-2014, 03:31 PM
This one?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcdYzCsKVn8

That's a Mal, I'm very sure.

Coyotesfan97
08-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Here's my guy.

http://youtu.be/Qgh83jcvgO0

Shellback