PDA

View Full Version : Just got the SA 1911 Range Officer

randypollock
02-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Just bought the SA Range Officer and this is my first 1911 purchase (own S&W, Rugers, Paras, and XDs)

I bought it to shoot well at my local range and for simple pistol matches that my range does (not IPSEC, not IDPA, mostly beginner and Husband/wife, Father/Son matches)

What would you do to it to custom it?

I am a lefty so I am thinking getting an amb safety and also widening? the mag well for easier reloads...yeah stop laughing I'm not sure what that is called.

Would you send it back to SA to get this done?

LittleLebowski
02-27-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm a big proponent of ambi safeties having had an arm completely disabled and plenty of hospital time to ponder upon it. The ambi safety should be able to be fit by a local gunsmith with no problems but the Springfield Custom Shop does do excellent work.

I wouldn't touch the magwell. Make sure that you're happy with the sights and take a class.

randypollock
02-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Why not touch the mag well?

I forgot about the sights...it has the solid black bo-mar sights..what would you recommend for upgrading?

Jay Cunningham
02-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Not to speak for L_L, but I think he's suggesting that you actually go out and shoot the gun first before chasing a bunch of modifications.

LittleLebowski
02-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Not to speak for L_L, but I think he's suggesting that you actually go out and shoot the gun first before chasing a bunch of modifications.

In a word....yes.

randypollock
02-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Weather is the only issue with not getting to shoot it yet.

The reason I said the safety and magazine well was because I'm a lefty so I noticed that first and then when dry firing it at home I noticed just how hard it is to get the magazine in and out. It was much harder than say for my XD or Para pistols.

YVK
02-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Weather is the only issue with not getting to shoot it yet.

The reason I said the safety and magazine well was because I'm a lefty so I noticed that first and then when dry firing it at home I noticed just how hard it is to get the magazine in and out. It was much harder than say for my XD or Para pistols.

The "out" part makes me believe this is not magwell related. I am not an expert by any means, but I'd suspect that mag catch is not fit well and is trapping the mag. Another possibility is mags binding inside trigger bow.

My personal preference when dealing with 1911 is that pistol is examined and tested by a competent smith before any serious use, even if pistol runs well otherwise. I'd suggest you do shoot it some to see if any other things surface before sending it anywhere.
For 1911 sights, I like Heinie offerings.
I've not had any personal experience, but I've heard nothing but praise for Springfield Custom Shop - not only from clients, but from other gunsmiths.

randypollock
02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
The magazines drop out easy enough, it's the reloading of the next magazine that is tough to get in...meaning finding the opening and inserting the magzine. It catches just fine and drops just fine.

JDM
02-27-2011, 10:42 AM
This is a training issue friend. You need to practice reloads. A lot. It's got nothing to do with the gun.

randypollock
02-27-2011, 10:46 AM
This is a training issue friend. You need to practice reloads. A lot. It's got nothing to do with the gun.

OK, so lets skip that and we have settled the question on the amb safety...so that leaves a better sighting system...the complete black doesn't work for me. SA custom offer a lot of choices.

YVK
02-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Oh, I see, I thought there was a problem of getting them out.

My humble suggestion is not to send it at this point for magwell.

First, it is a software issue, single stack pistols do require more precision to reload.

Second, there are number of magwell options on the market, and some of them can be installed by a user. There are several benefits to this. First, 1911 being an enthusiast's gun, it makes for a relatively easy first step in learning the platform. Second, your preferences for magwell type may change, and you'll save yourself some money on a long run by doing certain things yourself. The caveat is not to press your 1911 in any serious use if you're playing with it.

I started with Smith and Alexander magwell which is fairly easy to install on your own. Having spent some time with it, I realized I didn't like it, and only then I spent money on shipping and professional work.

LittleLebowski
02-27-2011, 11:07 AM
You can easily install the sights yourself or have your local funsmith/armorer do it.

I use and advocate Warren Tactical 2 dot tritiums. Narrow front blade with a green dot and white outline, wide rear "U notch" with a yellow dot sans white outline. I can't find these for a 1911 online right now but I'm sure they are available. Failing that, I'd go for the Heinie Straight Eights.

randypollock
02-27-2011, 01:44 PM
You can easily install the sights yourself or have your local funsmith/armorer do it.

I use and advocate Warren Tactical 2 dot tritiums. Narrow front blade with a green dot and white outline, wide rear "U notch" with a yellow dot sans white outline. I can't find these for a 1911 online right now but I'm sure they are available. Failing that, I'd go for the Heinie Straight Eights.

Thanks I'm going to look into that. The only problem with "local" gunsmiths we don't have more than two or three to choose from and I'm worried about what would happen if they mess it up...I'll ask around and see if anyone has used the guys I see that advertise at the gun shop.

JSGlock34
02-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Actually I'm not sure it is as easy as that with the Range Officer. I believe the rear sight notch is a specific LPA cut, and is thus not compatible with Warren, Heinie or Novak sights - your more popular fixed options. Choices with this sight notch are quite limited.

Just a question to the OP, but what do you plan to use the Range Officer for and why did you select this particular model? The Springfield Armory marketing for the Range Officer suggests target use, and the adjustable sights are intended to support that application. If you want a more combat oriented 1911, with night sights and an ambidextrous safety there are a lot more options in the Springfield catalog that would meet these needs.

randypollock
02-27-2011, 02:17 PM
This is not my carry gun, I am carrying a Para PDA 9mm which I love. I bought this as a gun to shoot at the range and to use in range matches

JSGlock34
02-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Well, I'd shoot it a few times at the range and in a match or two before changing anything. The Springfield Custom Shop is always an option if you want more significant work performed on the pistol.

randypollock
02-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Well, I'd shoot it a few times at the range and in a match or two before changing anything. The Springfield Custom Shop is always an option if you want more significant work performed on the pistol.

Sounds like a plan.

SecondsCount
02-27-2011, 02:46 PM
If it is a range toy/competition gun then I would leave the rear sight as is and get a fiber optic front sight. After that, I would do what the others suggested and run the pants off it.

They also suggested some formal training, which should be your next step, but you need to make sure the trainer is a professional and not some mediocre shooter who calls himself a pro.

randypollock
02-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I agree that it's the front sight that gets lost to me when I practice with it. Having a fiber optic in the front could be the answer.

The problem with finding good training is I live in Middle Tennessee not the bedrock for training and a long distance trip to a sight like Gunsite is out of the question due to time and money.

I'll ask that question is another part of this forum

505Fire
03-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Check out 10-8 Performance for sights for your 1911. Very good quality. http://www.10-8performance.com/store/index.php?cPath=24_29

randypollock
03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Check out 10-8 Performance for sights for your 1911. Very good quality. http://www.10-8performance.com/store/index.php?cPath=24_29

Do you use them on anything?

evanhill
03-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I inspected a range officer the other day. Looks like a lot of 1911 for the money. The M&P pro sitting next to it for $200 less was a lot of gun for the money too. Regarding the sights - I used a chainsaw file to *very carefully* turn a rear sight into a U-notch on my old Colt commander. It was a good improvement. For daytime use, it's hard to beat a fiber optic front / u notch rear.

randypollock
03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I have only put 100 round through the gun, but it worked great and a lot of people was interested in looking at it. I think if I can the sights everything else would be fine for me.

WobblyPossum
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Tom Givens of Rangemaster offers classes in the Memphis area. I've never trained with him before but I hear good things. I'm sure you could find some AARs online

I agree that it's the front sight that gets lost to me when I practice with it. Having a fiber optic in the front could be the answer.

The problem with finding good training is I live in Middle Tennessee not the bedrock for training and a long distance trip to a sight like Gunsite is out of the question due to time and money.

I'll ask that question is another part of this forum

randypollock
03-16-2011, 12:56 PM
I got some good answers to training in my other post.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?146-Looking-for-training-in-Middle-TN-area

thanks,

tmoore912
03-18-2011, 07:02 PM
The Range Officer is a nice gun. With regards to sights, the rear sight is a Bomar type target sight with the LPA cut. There is a significant amount of metal that has been milled off the back of the slide for the target sight to sit on it. You would need to replace it with something made for the LPA cut. If you prefer a fixed rear sight, then you should look at Harrison Design (http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/category/64-sights-for-the-lpa-cut.aspx) for a fixed rear. As far as the front sight goes, I would recommend Hilton Yam's 10-8 Performance (http://www.10-8performance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_29&products_id=156) brass bead front sight. Its cheaper than a gold bead. Stands out well in any type of light. If its to dark to see it, you need a flashlight.

I don't care much for fiber optic front sights because they get so dirty while shooting at the range and become ineffective. It is also very easy to damage the fiber optic with some gun solvents. I had a Dawson Precision fiber optic font sight on my Springfield TGO II and hated it.

A magwell could easily be installed by you, but agree that it is a training issue and can be overcome with more practice. I carry my 1911s, so magwells are a no go because of printing issues and weight.

randypollock
03-18-2011, 08:55 PM
The Range Officer is a nice gun.

Thanks for the info and link...that front sight could do the job for me. I wonder if I can find a local gunsmith to install it?

Is changing out a front sight a big deal?

tmoore912
03-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the info and link...that front sight could do the job for me. I wonder if I can find a local gunsmith to install it?

Is changing out a front sight a big deal?

On that gun it could be. I think your front sight is slid on the slide and then pinned. Do you have a small hole on the top of the sight like in this picture?

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/RIA%20Government%201911/IMG_1495.jpg

This is the sight picture you will get with the brass bead.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/RIA%20Government%201911/IMG_1498.jpg

randypollock
03-18-2011, 09:13 PM
That sight picture to me is much better..right now all I see is black.

I'm not home right now to look at the gun, I'll take a look tomorrow and post.