PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Covert Carry CTT-Solutions Mike Pannone Bethlehem, PA July 26 & 27 2014

Urban_Redneck
08-01-2014, 07:27 AM
AAR: Covert Carry CTT-Solutions Mike Pannone Bethlehem, PA July 26 & 27 2014

Weather: 85 degrees and humid, a few drops of rain early, threatened T-storms never appeared

Class began right on time. Mike lead off with a brief recounting of his military service and his
training/contracting career since his retirement from the US Army. This led right into his definition
of covert (vs concealed) carry. He explained the genesis of the curriculum was his contract to train a tier 1 military unit being deployed to a country where firearms were prohibited. This
was followed by a safety brief that included a detailed definition of down range.

On to the range: Noner runs a hot range.

We began with garment clearing for various clothing choices and holster positions. This is where
Noner gave us the first look at the degree of consideration and rigorous vetting he has applied to
covert carry. He identified the failure points of clearing various garments and defined the clear
path of steps to getting the gun well in hand and onto the target. We were instructed to fire 5 shots each freestyle, SHO, and WHO at 10y Noner walked the line observing and instructing. Individually we were timed for draw and an A zone hit. Speed-wise, we pushed to our individual failure speed.

Exploding often repeated "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" dictum as a logical fallacy via simple algebra, Noner explained his simple, logical, methodology for developing competent speed.

We progressed to Draw +3 at 15y. Noner stressing that in the absence of a head shot, two (even A
zone) pistol hits rarely puts an adversary immediately out of the fight, he noted; four is even
better.

We continued on to strong hand only and support hand only draws and shooting. Personal observation,
instruction, and timing, followed as above. Noner once again explained the application of his
methodology to the challenge presented. Never was any technique proffered without a full explanation
of the intellectual rigor that was applied in it's development. We concluded with shooting while
retreating at various angles.

Various one hand reloads and their shortcomings were demonstrated before Noner demonstrated and
explained the technique we would use. 1+reload+1 free style, SHO, support hand drills followed.The
established cycle of practice, observation, instruction and timer, followed. His take on "fine motor skills" as relates to gunhandling (slide release in particular) was explained with some animation and the results of the research he had conducted .
Reference: http://soldiersystems.net/2013/04/20...ike-pannone-8/

Day one round count: approximately 400. Draws from concealment: approximately 300.

Day Two:
Weather: 90 degrees and humid, a few drops of rain early, threatened T-storms never appeared

Safety Brief followed by a warm-up/review of Day 1 techniques.

We then paired off to shoot "Rabbit" drills where the "rabbit" faces downrange and the is "coyote" is 45
degrees to the rabbit. The rabbit initiates his draw and the coyote reacts with the goal of getting
his hits (2 targets) before the rabbit. Swapping character and sides provided plenty of competitive
practice drawing from concealment and getting fast A zone (the only ones that count) hits.

Next, steel plates were brought out and arrayed in pairs. Drawing from concealed, we shot plates in
freestyle drill to mimic a segment of a military unit's qualification course. SHO and WHO followed
and we were timed on 5 runs freestyle. Noner then demonstrated what he termed, "Vehicle Prone", an
extremely stable prone position that we used to engage plates out to 25y.

The steel was then arrayed in groups of three
at 10, 15, and 25y. We cued up and engaged the targets drawing while moving; freestyle, SHO, WHO, and
vehicle prone, holstering between groups of steel.

To end the range session we were timed at 7 yards shooting freestyle, SHO, WHO, and 1+reload+1 to
compare against our day 1 performance.

We debriefed/decompressed, CTT certificates and hats were handed out.

The constant throughout course was understanding what you are doing, why you are doing it, the path to success, and identification/avoidance of failure points on the way to the goal. The techniques we were taught were not "range ballet". All were well considered solutions to the problems
one may face when you don't have the security of a solid wall or teammate at your back. It was stressed that any technique that puts your hand(s) behind your back or eyes off the last line of attack ought to be discarded.

In consideration of individual ammo supply, we were encouraged to shoot each evolution as much or as little we deemed necessary. I fired a little over 700 rounds. It would have been interesting to have had a counter on my holster, we estimated over 500 draws from concealment in two days.

Although more of a mechanics than mindset course, during mag stuffing breaks we discussed recent shootings as applicable to the techniques were using on the line.

Class

We were 16 students. The majority of the class was made up of current and former law enforcement officers. At least three of the students are current firearms instructors. Having taken up defensive pistol shooting just about 2 years ago, I was likely the least experienced shooter on the line.

My gear

I used my month old Steyr L9a1 9mm, home made kydex IWB holster @ 3:30, and my 125gr reloads at 1100fps. I had one FTF likely a bad primer as the hit was good. I also had a double feed, I removed that mag and will relegate it to the practice squad.

Final Thought:

I made my reservation in to this class in May of 2013, it was well worth the wait.

http://www.ctt-solutions.com/

HopetonBrown
09-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the write up, reminds me of the class I took with him in January.