PDA

View Full Version : "I have better things to do..."

MDS
07-30-2014, 09:56 AM
I was just blown away by a quote I read.

Believe me, I have much better things to do than run for office. But if I don't stop this train wreck, who will?

Nothing to add, just thought I'd share, especially for anyone who might live in the area.

RoyGBiv
07-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Inelegant, certainly. If I was to try and give him the benefit of the doubt, I would re-read that statement as...

Believe me, I have many things I'd prefer to do than run for office. But if I don't stop this train wreck, who will?

Worth noting that he's affiliated with the "L" (big L) party.

MDS
07-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I read it that way, too. Except I thought it was great. It captures the practical reality behind the more sentimental "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Suvorov
07-30-2014, 11:12 AM
I like it! But...

Does a Libertarian stand a chance in San Antonio?

Courageous and righteous statements do you no good if no one votes for you :(

RoyGBiv
07-30-2014, 11:21 AM
I like it! But...

Does a Libertarian stand a chance in San Antonio?

Courageous and righteous statements do you no good if no one votes for you :(
Well.... last session the D beat the R 61/37.
This session the R's didn't field a candidate. (See District 125 : http://ballotpedia.org/Texas_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2014 )
I'm betting the L's have "pocas posibilidades" in November.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-30-2014, 11:58 AM
No chance. Also, our voting machines give you a straight party check off at the top. Many go for that.

MDS
07-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Yeah, he'll probably lose. After a campaign he didn't enjoy. I wonder why he bothers?

hufnagel
07-30-2014, 01:56 PM
To be fair, there's very little I'd wouldn't rather do than run for a political office. However if I were given the opportunity to do so and be in a position to make a positive difference I'd put my personal desires aside and go work in said political position, if only to prevent someone I deem far less qualified for the role taking said and kittening things up even more.

Tamara
07-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Yeah, he'll probably lose. After a campaign he didn't enjoy. I wonder why he bothers?

I dunno. I'll just sit in this wagon and let him keep pulling it.

;)

Haraise
07-30-2014, 04:39 PM
It's hard to believe people are actually upset that someone finds politics as is, distasteful.

You'd rather he quite enjoyed the corruption?

Tamara
07-30-2014, 04:50 PM
It's hard to believe people are actually upset that someone finds politics as is, distasteful.

Who's upset about that?

What's being pointed out is that here's a dude who's not saying "Man, somebody should fix that nest of corruption," and is instead getting off his @$$, pulling on some waders, and going to take a whack at trying to unclog the drain.

Everybody knows it's a slimy mess. We talk about it all the time. He decided maybe he wanted to do more than talk. Good on him. Reading his words, I'm feeling a little embarrassed that all I do is complain and vote and write the occasional check. If I want things to be better, what am I willing to DO about it?

MDS
07-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Reading his words, I'm feeling a little embarrassed that all I do is complain and vote and write the occasional check. If I want things to be better, what am I willing to DO about it?

Yaar, it kicked me right there, I need to get a cup to cover that spot.

RevolverRob
07-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Disputedly attributed to Gandhi - "We must be the change we wish to see in the world." - It is one of my favorite quotes ever and I think directly applicable to this situation. It's not that any of us wants to be in charge of some level of change, it would be nice if someone else would do it. But then I reminded of an elementary school teacher I had that told me, "If we wait for someone else to do it, we get things like Nazi Germany." And that's pretty much all I need to be reminded that sometimes it's a dirty job but someone has to do it.

If I were in his district, I'd vote for him.

Jeep
07-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Who's upset about that?

What's being pointed out is that here's a dude who's not saying "Man, somebody should fix that nest of corruption," and is instead getting off his @$$, pulling on some waders, and going to take a whack at trying to unclog the drain.

Everybody knows it's a slimy mess. We talk about it all the time. He decided maybe he wanted to do more than talk. Good on him. Reading his words, I'm feeling a little embarrassed that all I do is complain and vote and write the occasional check. If I want things to be better, what am I willing to DO about it?

Well said. Very well said.