PDA

View Full Version : I need input from females on holster needs.

JRCHolsters
07-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I am looking for 2-3 women who actually carry on a regular basis, to refine some designs just for women. I want to be able to offer a couple of different holsters that women can choose from. I have some ideas, and currently modify some of my designs for women, but it would be nice to get some real input.

The things I am interested in knowing; Favorite way of current carry, best case carry method if you had a choice, styles of clothing worn most when carrying.

If you would be interested in providing me feedback, I will provide a couple of holsters based on input. All I ask is that you use them, critique them and send me pics of the holsters worn with your everyday attire. If any bugs need to be worked out, I will update the proposed designs and then send you a new one.

Since everything is hand made, this whole project will take many months.
If your interested in giving input to your carry choices, let me know.
Thanks, Jim Ryan

JDM
07-10-2011, 07:25 PM
I'll get after my girlfriend when I see her this evening.

JRCHolsters
07-10-2011, 07:26 PM

Sounds good. Thanks!

JM Campbell
07-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Shoot Tam a PM I'm sure you can find some good answers there.

SecondsCount
07-10-2011, 08:52 PM
This is Mrs. SecondsCount-

Typically I carry a 4.25" 1911 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck at 5 o'clock with a slight cant. I usually wear an undershirt to keep the leather off my skin and an overshirt to conceal. Jeans seem to work the best as they have sturdy belt loops. Other ladies pants are more for fashion and don't hold as well. Sometimes I fanny pack carry when I am stylin'.

5 o'clock seems to be the only place I can hide a gun on my body frame (5' 4" 120lbs) and it is quite comfortable even when I drive. For me, the only cons are the amount of leather against me in the warm months but again, that is probably just the nature of carrying. A smaller gun like an LCP would be easier to carry but I find them too difficult to shoot.

Also, in case you have not noticed, woman have curves. ;) The placement of the waist height, even a little bit, changes the belt placement and cant.

JRCHolsters
07-10-2011, 09:14 PM
This is Mrs. SecondsCount-

Typically I carry a 4.25" 1911 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck at 5 o'clock with a slight cant. I usually wear an undershirt to keep the leather off my skin and an overshirt to conceal. Jeans seem to work the best as they have sturdy belt loops. Other ladies pants are more for fashion and don't hold as well. Sometimes I fanny pack carry when I am stylin'.

5 o'clock seems to be the only place I can hide a gun on my body frame (5' 4" 120lbs) and it is quite comfortable even when I drive. For me, the only cons are the amount of leather against me in the warm months but again, that is probably just the nature of carrying. A smaller gun like an LCP would be easier to carry but I find them too difficult to shoot.

Also, in case you have not noticed, woman have curves. ;) The placement of the waist height, even a little bit, changes the belt placement and cant.

Thanks Mrs. SecondsCount. My thoughts have leaned towards 5, 1 and 11 o'clock, depending on the style of clothing being worn.

I have noticed that women have some curves, lol. Actually some holsters I have seen, made for women, seem to ride awfully low to keep the grip out of the ribcage. The two problems I see with those is, the butt of the pistol sticks out from the body and the gun sits so low, you have to wear a longer coat. Doesn't seem all that practical of a solution.

I have always leaned towards a strong cant on my holsters to begin with, do you feel it would be awkward to draw from a holster with a 20-30 degree rake? On my reverse rake CDA(Cross-Draw/Appendix), I account for the natural angle of the arm when drawing in front of the body. Do you feel something with an adjustable rake would be better, to fit changes in your wardrobe? Do you like the wide placement of the belt loops on the Supertuck style? Do you prefer IWB?

Thanks for your input.

JRCHolsters
07-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Shoot Tam a PM I'm sure you can find some good answers there.
Thanks for the tip. I will shoot her a message.

JDM
07-11-2011, 08:27 AM
This is BoM's Girlfriend:

I carry a Glock 19 right behind my hip usually at about 4:30. I will wear a looser fitting button-down shirt to conceal the gun, or a hoodie if it's cool enough out. Right now I'm using a blackhawk leather in the pants holster, and it could be much better-the holster mouth closes up ETC.

Ideally I'd like to try appendix carry, but I think the grip may be too long on the 19 to conceal up front.

I'm about 5'1" and 120-125.

JRCHolsters
07-11-2011, 12:23 PM
This is BoM's Girlfriend:

I carry a Glock 19 right behind my hip usually at about 4:30. I will wear a looser fitting button-down shirt to conceal the gun, or a hoodie if it's cool enough out. Right now I'm using a blackhawk leather in the pants holster, and it could be much better-the holster mouth closes up ETC.

Ideally I'd like to try appendix carry, but I think the grip may be too long on the 19 to conceal up front.

I'm about 5'1" and 120-125.

Thanks for sending some input. Which model of Blackhawk holster do you currently have?

Appendix is one of the methods I am leaning towards for one holster. If this is something you want to try, I think that the design of the holster can help pull the grip in tighter towards your body.

If your interested in being one of the testers and can take time to give me input, shoot me a PM or email me at jim@jrcholsters.com
Thanks!

NickA
07-11-2011, 01:20 PM
JR- you might check out Kathy Jackson's site at corneredcat.com or even reach out to her. Pretty sure there's a section on holsters for women and she's done a lot of work on issues surrounding women carrying.
Another thing I've read and seen is that not-quite-appendix, say 1-2 o'clock seems to work well. IIRC that helps avoid the gun gouging caused by females' typically higher and more curved hips.

JRCHolsters
07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
JR- you might check out Kathy Jackson's site at corneredcat.com or even reach out to her. Pretty sure there's a section on holsters for women and she's done a lot of work on issues surrounding women carrying.
Another thing I've read and seen is that not-quite-appendix, say 1-2 o'clock seems to work well. IIRC that helps avoid the gun gouging caused by females' typically higher and more curved hips.
NickA, thanks for the tip. I will drop her a line.
I agree, i think the 1-2 o'clock area would work well with the right design.

Shellback
02-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Email sent on behalf of Mrs. Irish. 5' 8" 130lbs and left handed just to confuse the issue. ;)

Al T.
02-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Kathy Jackson is a member here. :)

http://pistol-forum.com/member.php?1490-pax

Please keep your private life private. Don't ask, don't tell, don't cha know...

:p

UNK
02-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Hi Jim Here's a thread you responded to not too long ago. I thought you might want to talk to her.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3101-Women-and-concealed-carry-options-holsters

karmapolice
02-20-2012, 12:09 AM
My fiancee would be interested but she doesn't have previous carry experience, she has firearms experience and is willing and learning more from me. I have been carrying concealed since I was legally able to 5 years ago and I am a police officer as well but uniform. I just bought her a M&P9c for a valentines day gift and am looking at different holsters and carry methods for her, all she has right now is a maxpedition versipack.

JRCHolsters
02-20-2012, 08:24 AM
;) Wow, I thought this was a dead thread for sure. I appreciate the offers, but am pretty good now on test subject. I have PM'd most that were interested in testing. Thanks everyone.

Sarah
02-20-2012, 05:52 PM
I will definitely volunteer! I woulg love to see more holster choices for women out on the market! (Especially for small/petite women--it's very difficult to find suitable choices)

I currently carry OWB at the 3:00 positionf with my duty belt and jeans. I find that I am limited to OWB due to my weapon size (HK45c)..please let me know what else I can do to help...

Sarah

I am looking for 2-3 women who actually carry on a regular basis, to refine some designs just for women. I want to be able to offer a couple of different holsters that women can choose from. I have some ideas, and currently modify some of my designs for women, but it would be nice to get some real input.

The things I am interested in knowing; Favorite way of current carry, best case carry method if you had a choice, styles of clothing worn most when carrying.

If you would be interested in providing me feedback, I will provide a couple of holsters based on input. All I ask is that you use them, critique them and send me pics of the holsters worn with your everyday attire. If any bugs need to be worked out, I will update the proposed designs and then send you a new one.

Thanks, Jim Ryan

texaspepper
11-12-2012, 04:37 AM

Thanks, Jim Ryan

Are you still looking for female volunteers??? I have been carrying my Ruger 380 in a bulldog pouch on my belt.... but I got a Ruger LC9 and I want to carry that but bulldog doesn't make a pouch for this slightly larger gun... IWB doesn't work for me, I don't wear baggy jeans. Even though I live in deep south Texas, I have been unable to find anyone willing to craft a concealed holster to fit OWB. I'm not build big enough to conceal it in my bra, I tried and it looks like I have three breasts.. lol.... thank you for trying to accommodate CC for women....

Haraise
11-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I've been stuck on OWB myself, I can't find anything that conceals with a fitted top. Actually taking to liking crossdraw, my purse hides it somewhat and it's much faster to get to while driving. I'd really like to try AIWB, but every holster has either poked out in the crotch or made it impossible to cross legs properly. Curious how people are carrying at 11 or 1.

JRCHolsters
11-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, I am not looking for more testers at this point.
One of the designs I have mostly settled on is a variation of my OWB-CDA which is for Cross Draw / Appendix use.

Haraise
11-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, I am not looking for more testers at this point.
One of the designs I have mostly settled on is a variation of my OWB-CDA which is for Cross Draw / Appendix use.

Please put up any pictures you have of women wearing this (preferably with crossbody purse on left side).