PDA

View Full Version : Replaced my P30 trigger spring

Spr1
07-09-2011, 02:30 PM
At 10,814 rounds my P30 trigger spring gave up the ghost when I was 7 rounds into a range session. While it was nice to see that I could manually reset the trigger, I was a little disappointed in the relatively low round count to failure. Up to this point the gun had never bobbled or failed.
Back home I proceeded to replace this spring for the first time (after reading some of the tips here). The first 15 minutes were quite frustrating, so I took a short break and determined a new course. The new way was successful within a couple minutes.
This is what worked for me -
I already had the slide stop levers both off.
Holding the trigger forward and correctly positioned with my left thumb, I started the trigger axle through the left side of the frame.
Using a tweezers I dropped the spring into position.
Now here is the magic, I had narrowed and thinned a Hilton Yam armorers tool, using that, I slightly wedged the spring forward and down.
I pushed the axle in from the left with my left index finger, removed the tool, and gently tapped the axle home.
I reinstalled the right slide stop, and then using the tip of the armorers tool, I lifted the end of the spring up and slid the left side release into position.
Done.

JV_
07-09-2011, 02:41 PM
At 10,814 rounds my P30 trigger spring gave up the ghost when I was 7 rounds into a range session.How many dry fires?

Spr1
07-09-2011, 02:47 PM
No more than a few hundred. I have deliberately limited my dry fire with it. But yes, that would of course be on top of the live fire count. I had been planning on doing a preventative maintenance replacement at 12.5K, but unfortunately got surprised.

ToddG
07-10-2011, 08:11 AM
That is a low round count for a P30 trigger spring breakage. I'm assuming the gun was new to you and, based on your description, you had not previously removed and installed the spring (as improper handling of the spring can reduce its service life).

The unfortunate reality is that springs, especially small springs, are a weak point in any gun. Springs break. Sometimes they break freakishly early. It's luck of the draw. Replacement schedules are risk management, not guarantees. I had a trigger spring break in my HK45 after less than 3,500 rounds. Plenty of other identical springs in that gun and my P30 went substantially longer.

Spr1
07-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Yes, new in the box V2. I replaced the firing pin block spring and mainspring when new to the TLG configuration. :)
I suspect that the trigger spring, especially the V2 heavy version, is the most highly stressed spring in this pistol. When I went to replace it I was determined to not use any metallic tools as I did not want to create a notch/defect that would act as a stress riser. The original spring failed exactly where one would expect it to, at the junction of the short leg and the coil.
While I am disappointed that the spring failed early, I have tremendous confidence in this platform.