PDA

View Full Version : Laser sight on your blaster

BoppaBear
07-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Pros and cons? I'm just curious, for us non-operational guys, and am more interested in green/red vs. IR (no NVGs).

Other than the "fear factor", I can't see the practicality for a HD/SD rifle, especially if you've got a good light and optic.

Thoughts? If you have one, what is it?

SamuelBLong
07-23-2014, 08:33 PM
I run a DBAL on my patrol rifle mounted to the Unity Tactical Hub along with a Surefire Scout.

If you're not going to use NVG's, then I wouldn't get something that has IR capability. That being said, the LDI CQBL is very handy cause it's small and gives you a red laser that's capable out to 100. LDI also has the ITAL and OTAL in visible laser configurations and those aren't too much bigger.

I'll be getting a CQBL for my 10.5 gun when the budget allows... Between a girlfriend, training classes, work and other gun projects it's a little tight at the moment.

In a civilian defensive setting they can have their place. It's very handy as a secondary sighting system should your dot fail you. Just look through the tube, fire the laser and use like a dot. Also if you're running a variable powered or magnified optic it can help in driving from target to target and getting in target quickly.

Red is less expensive. Green shows up better but doesn't work as well when the temps get cold.

That's pretty much it unless you want to talk other uses.

GJM
07-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Other than the "fear factor", I can't see the practicality for a HD/SD rifle, especially if you've got a good light and optic.

How about rifles and shotgun projectiles stop a fight faster than handgun projectiles?

SamuelBLong
07-23-2014, 09:47 PM
I think he's saying that in regards to a laser on an HD carbine. Not about why you'd use a carbine or shotgun for HD.

GJM
07-23-2014, 10:05 PM
I think he's saying that in regards to a laser on an HD carbine. Not about why you'd use a carbine or shotgun for HD.

Copy.

BoppaBear
07-24-2014, 04:09 AM

Correct.

I was more stating that for a civilian, who is not running NVG's/IR set up, that other than the BG seeing the laser as a potential deterrent, what's the practicality for us non-operator types.

GJM, completely agree. Bullets are a better fight stopper, and rifle/shotgun rounds are better...true, and true....I'm just curious as to thoughts on lasers for the common guy, who uses his rifle for courses/training, and HD.

Default.mp3
07-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Beyond use as a back-up sighting system, lasers are also useful if you're running a pro mask? Not sure how applicable that is to civilians. Same goes for their advantages for shooting from awkward positions, don't know how often that would come up since the primary use would be home defense. Essentially any time it's difficult to get a proper cheekweld, I guess.

Green shows up better but doesn't work as well when the temps get cold.

I definitely agree with the improved visibility. I have found my X400U-GN's laser to be quite visible outdoors during the day during bright sunlight, up to about 15ish yards; on an overcast day, much further. I believe the juice is worth the squeeze, having of run a standard X400 for a couple years prior; IME, the red lasers are great in low-light and/or indoors, but suck outdoors during the day, even on an overcast day (at least those that civilians can own).

As to temperature concerns, that depends on how new the laser is, and who the manufacturer is. For example, the DBAL-I2 spec sheet (https://www.laserdevices.com/userfiles/file/specsheets/163.pdf) claims the same temperature operating range for both the green and the red laser. Since the green laser doesn't seem to have a reduced temperature operating range, it suggests that they're not using frequency doubling, so the battery life may be basically the same as the red laser. Frequency doubling was the old technique to generate green laser output, which was also why it was very temperature dependent and had terrible battery life, due to the far more complicated circuitry that utilized multiple diodes, thus being very power inefficient; Surefire apparently figured out a way to manufacture/source a single stage green laser diode economically enough to skip frequency doubling. I believe LDI might have, too, since they specifically touted their new DBAL-PL to have "new temperature insensitive green laser technology provides better visibility and great stability over a wide-range of temperatures"; of course, this might mean that the older DBAL-D2s and I2s manufactured before the introduction of the PL may not have this technology, and still suffer temperature and battery penalties of your typical green laser. I don't know about Crimson Trace, but I'd be leery of using those in low temperatures until proven otherwise (though at least CT model (http://www.crimsontrace.com/products/type/green-lasers/01-3120) has increased low temperature performance (http://www.crimsontrace.com/company/news/new-green-modular-vertical-foregrip-from-crimson-trace), though nowhere near on par with the LDI specs); pretty sure Viridians don't do well at low temperatures at all (and thus also have crap battery life).

Also something to think about is the switchology of it all; how are you going to control both a light and a laser? How do you plan on running the light/laser, constant on vs. momentary? If you're going to run a combination unit, that's not such a huge deal (though I can't think of many I'd trust; the RAPTAR and the X400/X400U, maybe the M6X), but if you have two separate units, juggling them can be a Helluva chore.

Chuck Haggard
07-24-2014, 08:56 AM
In an LE or team environment, or when wearing a pro mask, I have found lasers on carbines to be very useful. I suppose in a single dude with a rifle scenario a laser might be useful if one has to get into some sort of odd asymetric position and get get behind the sights.

KevinB
07-24-2014, 05:46 PM
I love me some laser -- however the Green Laser never seems to have the same affect as red lasers when communicating to folks (red means stop - but green just does not say the same thing).

jetfire
07-24-2014, 05:53 PM
One of the advantages of a laser on an HD long gun is that you can still aim the gun with a considerable degree of accuracy if you find yourself in a compromised shooting position and can't see the sights/optic. I've run 3-gun matches at night with a carbine with a laser, and being able to snap shot close targets from the hip because of the sweet beam is pretty handy.

KevinB
07-25-2014, 10:38 AM
The other issue with lasers (Vis) is everyone can see you --

BoppaBear
07-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info and feedback. While I'd love to have a CQBL-1, I don't need IR, and I don't want to spend that much on one at the moment.

Any experiences/feedback on the Lasermax Uni-Max lights?

BoppaBear
07-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info and feedback. While I'd love to have a CQBL-1, I don't need IR, and I don't want to spend that much on one at the moment.

Any experiences/feedback on the Lasermax Uni-Max lights?

Edit....Uni-Max sights.