PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life of Quick Clot?

Drang
07-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Transferring supplies to the new Range First Aid Kit I noticed that my packs of Quick Clot have an expiry of September 2014.
What happens in October? Cease clotting? Cease being quick? Become toxic? Spontaneously burst into flames? The Quick Clot people make a kitten ton of money when I buy new?
Inquiring minds want to know, thanks.

Totem Polar
07-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Interesting question. http://www.thebort.com/www/Smileys/default/popcorn2.gif

Mike C
07-21-2014, 08:51 PM
I'd be curious about Hemcon bandages as well. I still have a few of those lying around that didn't get used up. They are kittening expensive and I've like to have a few on hand. They are so awesome I can't see tossing them.

JRCHolsters
07-21-2014, 09:31 PM
I used to carry quick-clot in my store in the days when it was the granular stuff. They told me that they had to put the expiration date on it, since it was a medical item. I was told if it was kept sealed and dry it would always be good. I did have the opportunity to use some that had expired by at least 5 years and it worked perfectly.

Clay
07-21-2014, 09:33 PM
3 years according to Z-Medica, although I've heard this is conservative, and probably due to FDA regulations - as with many types of medications.

FEMA conducted a test some years ago called the Shelf Life Extension Plan and found that almost all medications were good well past the expiration dates. The FDA conducted a similar test. After reading this and talking with a pharmacist friend, I don't worry too much about expiration dates, especially with items stored indoors in a climate-controlled environment.

Drang
07-22-2014, 06:46 AM
Thanks, JRCHolosters and Clay. I was actually suspecting some form of "The government made us do it".

RoyGBiv
07-22-2014, 09:36 AM
I don't worry too much about expiration dates, especially with items stored indoors in a climate-controlled environment.

But what if it's carried in the trunk of a car, in Texas?
We're having a relatively cool summer this year. Only two days above 100'F so far, but that's fixin' to change this weekend.

JRCHolsters
07-22-2014, 12:34 PM
But what if it's carried in the trunk of a car, in Texas?
We're having a relatively cool summer this year. Only two days above 100'F so far, but that's fixin' to change this weekend.

Not sure what is in the newer bandages. If it is the old stuff(in the new bandages), it should be fine. It was pretty much a zeolite of some sort.

Clay
07-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Quickclot is supposed to be unaffected by high heat and cold temperatures - Z-Medica website :

How should QuikClot dressings be stored?
QuikClot can be stored as you would store any other surgical dressings. Kaolin will remain stable in varying temperatures and in extreme heat or cold.

If I was worried about it, I would change out my Quickclot that was in my vehicle at the recommended expiration date. I'm not worried about it.

RoyGBiv
07-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Quickclot is supposed to be unaffected by high heat and cold temperatures - Z-Medica website :

How should QuikClot dressings be stored?
QuikClot can be stored as you would store any other surgical dressings. Kaolin will remain stable in varying temperatures and in extreme heat or cold.

If I was worried about it, I would change out my Quickclot that was in my vehicle at the recommended expiration date. I'm not worried about it.
Thanks for making me look to lazy to look it up myself. :o

LOL!

(seriously, Thanks!)