PDA

View Full Version : Private combat training range

cwmax2000
07-20-2014, 10:49 PM
A friend of mine wants to make a private combat rifle, pistol, shotgun training range on his private property. I am looking for advice/ideas on setup, targets, materials etc., any aspect of doing this.
Any ideas will be appreciated…thanks in advance Cmax :cool:

Failure2Stop
07-21-2014, 06:31 AM
How does a combat training range differ from a non-combat training range, in your opinion?

SailDesign
07-21-2014, 06:34 AM
How does a combat training range differ from a non-combat training range, in your opinion?

Obviously, it has Bad Guys at the other end..... Also armed. </sarcasm>

cwmax2000
07-21-2014, 07:15 AM

non combat = you stand straight up and shoot holes in a paper target....

TAZ
07-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Your probably be better off going to the NRA or some other recognized body for information regarding range design. Design a range based on input from a bunch of nobodies and have a round escape will be a different story than if you did the same thing based on nationally recognized standards.

jetfire
07-21-2014, 04:21 PM
non combat = you stand straight up and shoot holes in a paper target....

So he's going to roll around on the ground and shoot holes in real people?

Dave J
07-21-2014, 04:43 PM
I'd recommend you look at DA Pam 385-63, which is the Army and USMC's range safety publication and freely available for download. Plotting the SDZ's on the map gives you an idea of where bullets potentially might wind up, which can then be mitigated with berms and other backstops. You may also find there is an optimum location and orientation that helps minimize SDZ overlap of nearby dwellings, etc.

cwmax2000
07-21-2014, 05:26 PM
I'd recommend you look at DA Pam 385-63, which is the Army and USMC's range safety publication and freely available for download. Plotting the SDZ's on the map gives you an idea of where bullets potentially might wind up, which can then be mitigated with berms and other backstops. You may also find there is an optimum location and orientation that helps minimize SDZ overlap of nearby dwellings, etc.

I will, thanks Dave

ACP230
07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
The National Shooting Sports Foundation might have some info available.

Wendell
07-21-2014, 06:56 PM

I assumed that he meant a range with remote-controlled, pop-up and disappearing, reactive targets.

jetfire
07-21-2014, 11:30 PM
I assumed that he meant a range with remote-controlled, pop-up and disappearing, reactive targets.

What? No roll, Hondo?

Stengun
07-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Howdy,

For a combat training range Uncle Sam sent me to a range in Central America back in the '83-85.

It was pretty good training range with interactive targets that actually shot back.

Paul