PDA

View Full Version : Open top duty mag pouches

USAF422
07-17-2014, 02:46 PM
I'm looking for some open top mag pouches for my duty belt. I was looking at the Safariland 775 pouches but I was wanting something that held the mags in a more traditional manner. Anyone have use these? Does the orientation of the mags change the way you would normally sweep for a mag? I am sitting here imagining it and it seems like the traditional mag "sweep" would be alright.

KeeFus
07-17-2014, 02:56 PM
If I were allowed, I'd carry this one: http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=79

Saves a little space and has the front of the magazine facing out, which feels better to me when doing magazine changes. The one I wear at work is identical to this, the model 78, with the addition of retention flaps...because hi-gloss black and flaps looks good...smh.

Trooper224
07-17-2014, 03:05 PM
We just recently went to those (open top). After over a quarter of a century carrying my mags in one particular way it did feel a bit strange at first. When practicing with it I felt like a fumble fingers for a bit, but that passed rather quickly. Some of our guys are bitching about it, but if you give them ice cream they'd complain it was cold. It's not a game changer but I don't have a problem with it.

Chuck Whitlock
07-17-2014, 03:52 PM
I've uses both the 79 and 775 on duty with great success. I have seen the model 079

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=079

on a duty belt.....not sure if it is still offered for a 2.25" belt or not.

The beauty of the 775 is that you can carry three magazines in the same belt space as two in a traditional double pouch. The only downside is that there is more tension on the middle magazine than the two outer ones. Not a big deal, but it is noticeable.

If you look closely, you will see that those models above don't have a whole lot below the belt when worn vertically, compared to the flapped versions.

SamuelBLong
07-17-2014, 04:15 PM
I also use the 775 Triple pouch. Took a little getting used to, but no problem going back and forth between my duty belt and traditional placement & orientation kydex pouches when I'm not wearing the belt.

If you're using a glock, the pouch is not friendly to the vickers baseplates. They all fit together fine, but its a tight squeeze to index mags.

Using a G41, I'm happy to have the extra mag. Just in case.

rathos
07-17-2014, 08:15 PM
I used the bianchi open top ones until we switched to outer vests:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/974072/bianchi-7320-triple-threat-2-magazine-pouch-beretta-92-glock-17-19-22-23-sig-sauer-p226-nylon-black?srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-377065481-2&ads=&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google

They always held secure and took up a little room as possible on the duty belt.

Erick Gelhaus
07-17-2014, 11:46 PM
I can't ever recall using flapped pouches for duty. Between leather and nylon / kydex gear, I've used Bianchi (1911, both leather & nylon), Eagle Ind (1911 , M&P) and now Blade-Tech (M&P, G-17) open top magazine pouches. I'm real comfortable with the B-T pouches & tech-lok mounting for uniformed patrol work. While I have co-workers using the different orientation pouches who seem happy with them, I never felt the need to try them.

John Hearne
07-18-2014, 08:33 AM
I have seen the model 079 ... on a duty belt.....not sure if it is still offered for a 2.25" belt or not.

I contacted Safariland and asked them if the 079 would fit on a 2.25" duty belt and they said it would. When I received it, however, it would not fit a 2.25" belt. I took the carrier to a local shoe repair place and had them move the snaps about 1/2". It fits now and I like the ergonomics as it matches my off-duty setup.

pablo
07-18-2014, 12:22 PM
I contacted Safariland and asked them if the 079 would fit on a 2.25" duty belt and they said it would. When I received it, however, it would not fit a 2.25" belt. I took the carrier to a local shoe repair place and had them move the snaps about 1/2". It fits now and I like the ergonomics as it matches my off-duty setup.

I'm surprised you found someone at Safariland that even knew that they sold duty gear.

The 079 mag pouch for 2.25" belts isn't a listed catalog item, Safariland adds a "-2" to the end of the model number for the 2.25" version of the 079 i.e. 079-xx-xx-2.

Redhat
07-19-2014, 06:40 PM
I'm looking for some open top mag pouches for my duty belt. I was looking at the Safariland 775 pouches but I was wanting something that held the mags in a more traditional manner. Anyone have use these? Does the orientation of the mags change the way you would normally sweep for a mag? I am sitting here imagining it and it seems like the traditional mag "sweep" would be alright.

What are the issue mag pouches? Anything wrong with them?

ST911
07-19-2014, 07:23 PM
I like the Safariland 79 for ~11.00 or ~1:00 carry. For 9:00 or 3:00, conventional bullet forward open tops are a bit more intuitive, and more in line with OD mag carry.

No more flaps.

Chipster
07-24-2014, 09:03 AM
After years of conventional Bianchi and Safariland closed magazine pouches I was able to convince the administration to order Blade Tech open top with the Tek-Lok attachment. I've had no complaints in over two years and no lost magazines from our guys.

Yesterday I saw another officer from a different agency carrying magazine pouches on his plate rack vertically in a pull down type method. Anyone else seen this?

2alpha-down0
07-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Anyone know if any of the Safariland 75 models will fit M&P 9/40 mags? I'm thinking the Glock and Sigma models would be close but it's not like there are flaps for retention if I'm wrong.

secondstoryguy
07-24-2014, 12:08 PM
I've gone through the ringer with choosing mag pouches for my duty belt and settled on the Blade Tech kydex double mag holster. I wear it just to the left of center and they have been working well for me. I switched the Teklok out to the loop style mounting bracket for strength(I've had Tekloks fail) and I have found that a couple of well placed zip ties secure it and keep it very snug on the belt. This magpouch has been run this through some very physically active training including going prone...it's pretty solid. Some might not like that it sticks out a little more than other mag pouches but I find that keeping the mags away from my body keeps them from poking me and my body armor as well as being very easy to get out.

I have tried First Spear's mag pouches(good for MOLLE but doesn't play well with duty belts) and a few others but this is the one I've settled with. I have used the Eagle Industry FB mag pouches in the past and had good luck but the newer stuff from Eagle is of much lesser quality than the old handmade stuff.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/secondstoryguy/94D22705-D053-4D4D-A7B1-5811EB53386D_zpsrzykqlnt.jpg (http://s257.photobucket.com/user/secondstoryguy/media/94D22705-D053-4D4D-A7B1-5811EB53386D_zpsrzykqlnt.jpg.html)http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/secondstoryguy/FE12E6D8-F289-4CCE-A3EA-51D8A3323F60_zpscq5xpqmo.jpg (http://s257.photobucket.com/user/secondstoryguy/media/FE12E6D8-F289-4CCE-A3EA-51D8A3323F60_zpscq5xpqmo.jpg.html)

KevinB
07-24-2014, 12:10 PM
I run BFG 10 speed on my "field" belt - and Raven on my "black" belt - no issues with either setups - even during combatives (I used a mag on a guys face once around the eyesocket to discourage him - the fact it was in a training course was frowned upon, but...)

secondstoryguy
07-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Kevin, I have a couple of Raven's double mag pouches lying around but I can't find a way to mount them to my 2.25" duty belt. I've seen guys use zip ties, is that what you do?

KevinB
07-24-2014, 02:27 PM
I use a Velocity battle belt and weave the inner belt through them (snake it thru the Split Molle Channels)

That said Raven does have a method to do it to large belts -- I cannot offhand recall what it is called though.

JonInWA
07-24-2014, 02:37 PM
After years of conventional Bianchi and Safariland closed magazine pouches I was able to convince the administration to order Blade Tech open top with the Tek-Lok attachment. I've had no complaints in over two years and no lost magazines from our guys.

Yesterday I saw another officer from a different agency carrying magazine pouches on his plate rack vertically in a pull down type method. Anyone else seen this?

For the past 6 months I've been experimenting with upsidedown carry (magazine baseplates facing the ground, magazine tops the sky) using Tactical Tailor's Magna pouches, containing rare earth magnets sewn into the pouches. How well it works/how secure the magazines are is somewhat dependent on both the magazine and the pouch; for example, their double and triple pouches seem to be a bit more retentive than their single mag pouches. The Fight Light double mag pouch, on the other hand, is not as retentive, and is best restricted to traditional carry (magazine top facing ground, baseplate the sky).

Magazines that have worked well using this mode: Glock G21, Beretta 9mm 92, Ruger P89, 1911. Not so well: 9mm Glock

I'd suggest some judicious experimentation in the department gym with a partner to determine if retentiveness is adequate before trying on patrol/concealed carry.

Potentially, the pull-down technique offers some real advantages in expediting reload magazines if the user is wearing a Hawaiian-type shirt or a closed jacket.

I've been using it primarily in IDPA matches, and have been pretty pleased to date.

Best, Jon

Coyotesfan97
07-24-2014, 03:49 PM
I'd been thinking about going to the 775 previously and thanks to this thread I purchased them with Amazon Prime. The package came today and I've been practicing. I really like the system. The magazine's position gives me fast acquisition and they are locked into the pouch. I might need to tighten it up a bit but so far so good.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-31-2014, 10:16 AM
I have noticed many officers carrying the triple open top magazine pouches lately. A neighboring PD allows their officers to carry Sig P220s and the CT State Police just went from the 229 in .40 to the 220 as well. They all carry their magazine pouches just to the side of their buckle on their weapon side, just in front of their duty weapon. What are your guys thoughts on this position?

I am issued a Glock 21 with a traditional flapped double magazine pouch. Thinking back to that article about the Socal officer involved in the shootout with the robbery suspect, I am thinking a third magazine would be nice to have.

BobM
07-31-2014, 02:50 PM
Anyone know if any of the Safariland 75 models will fit M&P 9/40 mags? I'm thinking the Glock and Sigma models would be close but it's not like there are flaps for retention if I'm wrong.

I believe the Glock 9/40 pouches fit M&P mags but I can double check when I get home.