PDA

View Full Version : EDC Mag Pouches

NorthernHeat
07-16-2014, 07:03 PM
What is everybody using/ what does everybody recommend for mag pouches for EDC/ concealed carry and why did you choose that (not gun games/ open carry/ on duty carry).

Gun will be worn appendix for a right handed shooter.

GJM
07-16-2014, 07:23 PM
I use a Safariland universal mag pouch almost every day, follows by Custom a carry Concepts basic mag pouch.

Up1911Fan
07-16-2014, 07:35 PM
I like singles from JM Custom, CCC, Kytex or X-Concealment.

JSGlock34
07-16-2014, 07:46 PM
I've been very pleased with my Kytex Gear (http://www.kytexgear.com) magazine pouches. Reasonably priced too.

EricP
07-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Readytac from SKD, which is pretty similar to the Kytex mentioned above.

breakingtime91
07-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Kytex mag pouch for winter, JM custom appendi pouch for summer. Both are worn at 11 while gun is carried appendix to the right Of them. Very happy with both of them.

LOKNLOD
07-16-2014, 08:04 PM
I usually carry a spare in a Desbiens reverse cant pouch at about 11 o'clock on the belt line. I just received a JM Custom AIWB pouch to try an IWB version of that carry, but haven't got to wring it out yet. Occasionally i'll find a situation or clothing option the conceals better at 9 o'clock, and for that I like my Raven single pouch. It's not the most space efficient option but I like the way it conceals and carries.

Dave J
07-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Kytex or CCC BMC worn OWB at 9:00, unless I need a tuckable solution.

orionz06
07-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Kytex

JAD
07-16-2014, 08:34 PM
With aiwb desbiens (owb 11:00 canted) for Glock or JM (iwb 11:00 canted) for a 1911. When wearing a sport coat milt sparks single mag pouch for 1911, comp tac singles for Glock or high power.

Jakemd98
07-16-2014, 08:47 PM
JMcustoms single mag carrier OWB wears really nice at 8-9:00 even under a t-shirt. Wearing a P2000 AIWB i didn't want anything else taking up valuable real estate in the waste band (have a keg in place of the 6 pack so i need all the room i can get). The OWB single pouch sits very close to the body and conceals really well. just like anything that comes out of JMcustoms shop, it is top notch quality and build.

NorthernHeat
07-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Just wondering why is Kytex so popular?

Guys that use/ prefer it, what do you like about it over other options?

orionz06
07-16-2014, 09:29 PM

Price, easy on/off. I don't always EDC a spare but being able to toss one on is great. For me the cost to buy 4 is dirt cheap compared to the time it would take me to make my own. I feel the smaller footprint is ideal as well. The CCC BMC is a close second and stronger but loses convenience.

JSGlock34
07-16-2014, 09:32 PM
The Kytex pouch is a minimalist design which takes up little more room than the magazine itself. It is easy on and easy off, but I've yet to have one come off my belt when I didn't intend for it to. I've also never had a magazine come free unintended; retention seems to be in the sweet spot between speed and security. My shooting group placed has largely adopted Kytex pouches and we've used them in a variety of classes and competition without any issues. And the price is excellent.

Default.mp3
07-16-2014, 09:35 PM

Like orionz06, the price was right, it's easy to get on and off, and the streamlined shape is a boon (and helps with indexing mags, too). I came from the Cane and Derby SSL (and used the RCS singles before that), which I felt were a bit too bulky (even if they did lie pretty flat against the body). The Kytex do loosen up over the time, IME, but it hasn't been a retention issue... yet.

LtDave
07-16-2014, 11:00 PM
JM Custom version 2 OWB in kydex for a single. Also liked Kolbeson's similar one, but I think I'll stick with JM from here on out. Haven't found a double kydex mag pouch that I like, Sparks D4C in leather is my preference for a double.

BobLoblaw
07-17-2014, 07:15 AM
Kytex for Glock or HK mags, Desantis pocket carrier for M&P. The slick M&P mags plus the slick inside of the kydex caused A LOT of mag drops.

LittleLebowski
07-17-2014, 07:42 AM
I've been very pleased with my Kytex Gear (http://www.kytexgear.com) magazine pouches. Reasonably priced too.

This.

David Armstrong
07-17-2014, 02:18 PM
If you have a Glock the Glock factory mag pouch is hard to beat, IMO, for a belt-mounted carry. Small, light, inexpensive and works like a charm. Having said that, my spare mags, if carried, are usually in a Fobus paddle carrier or in an eyeglass case. I'm also pretty fond of the Safariland horizontal wraparound soft-sided Model 123.

Chuck Whitlock
07-17-2014, 04:29 PM
I agree with everything said about the kytex carriers. My only caveat is that I've broken one mag pouch and one light pouch by them catching on an armrest while I was plopping down into a chair.

The glock pouches are very good for the price, if you are using a glock. I am currently using a leather pouch from Kirkpatrick.

t1tan
07-17-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm very interested in trying Blue Force Gear's new belt version of their Ten-Speed mag pouches coming out soon. But until then I generally just pocket carry my spare mag.

CCT125US
07-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Kytex

That is a good endorsement, considering the source.
Had mine for about a year or so.

SuperDuty
07-17-2014, 07:31 PM
I really like the horizontal holders from magholder.com.

YVK
07-17-2014, 10:41 PM
I use kytex and CCC, and I prefer the latter.

BoppaBear
07-18-2014, 05:11 AM
I'm using CCC, but may check out a Kytex, also.

ETA- I flip my CCC around backward, so I can wear it IWB at 11 o'clock.

lightning fast
07-18-2014, 07:51 PM
comp-tac

Eli
07-19-2014, 08:10 PM
10% Safariland 123 horizontal pouch.
90% US Grunt Gear double mag pouch

http://www.usgruntgear.com/new4thgenopp.html

I'm super fat and I wear my pants/belt below my stomach, if I'm wearing my spare mags vertically (8:00~8:30) the mags/pouch have to ride low enough on my belt that they don't gouge into my love-handle. With the US Grunt Gear pouch, I'm able to conceal two spares comfortably. It's the only pouch that I've found that I'm able to do that with.

s0nspark
07-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Kytex for me... affordable and durable.

Moonshot
10-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Kytex is a great mag carrier, easy on, easy off and very thin (won't stick out much from your belt). The price is great too, but there are two issues to keep in mind - they sit low, so make sure you are wearing a long enough covering garment, and they are easy to break if they catch on something when sitting down (the arm rest of my car door has taken out two of mine). In one case, the belt attachmemt snapped clean off. In the other case, a crack developed around the mag body. A little duct tape looped around the mag body covered with black electrical tape fixed it, and it's still in use.

If I wasn't using my supply of Kytex, I'd be using Comp-tac.

LittleLebowski
10-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Kytex is a great mag carrier, easy on, easy off and very thin (won't stick out much from your belt). The price is great too, but there are two issues to keep in mind - they sit low, so make sure you are wearing a long enough covering garment, and they are easy to break if they catch on something when sitting down (the arm rest of my car door has taken out two of mine). In one case, the belt attachmemt snapped clean off. In the other case, a crack developed around the mag body. A little duct tape looped around the mag body covered with black electrical tape fixed it, and it's still in use.

If I wasn't using my supply of Kytex, I'd be using Comp-tac.

You should contact Kytex and see if they'll replace your brown punches, I'm certain that they will.

Mike C
10-04-2014, 11:02 AM
My vote is for Kytexgear as well. They are really easy to modify for your needs, for example if you order a RH model thats setup for OWB just flip the mag around in it and heat up the mag carrier with a hair dryer or heat gun, push the mag all the way down in the pouch and reform the mag pouch body then you have a nice IWB mag pouch. You can also adjust them to make them usable for RH or LH. Plus if they ever get lose you can always heat up the kydex and pinch them to tighten them up. I typically wear mine centerline and IWB so I don't have to worry about knocking them around. So far they have been pretty excellent. I have some for my H&K's, wife's G42 and the PPS. I typically wear them like this.

Moonshot
10-04-2014, 05:47 PM
You should contact Kytex and see if they'll replace your brown punches, I'm certain that they will.

I can't in good concience ask them to replace my two broken mag carriers. They both served me well, and lasted for a reasonable amount of time. The broke after hard use and being subject to a hard hit. It would have been nice if they were strong enough to withstand the damage, but then they likely wouldn't be as small and light as they are, or as inexpensive as they are. I'm good with it.

LHS
10-04-2014, 08:59 PM
For 1911 mags, I really like the Wilderness cordura pouches (http://www.thewilderness.com/magazine-speedloader-and-ammo-carriers/pistol-mag-pouch-single-stack-updated/) (vertical version). They hold the mags in tight to the waistline and have good retention. I wasn't as fond of the same design for double-stack mags, though. It seems to work best with thin single-stacks.

For my Beretta, I use an old late-90s-vintage BladeTech pouch, with integral belt loop. It seems to hold the mag in a lot tighter to the waist than the more modern ones with the Tek-Lok attachment, and they take up significantly less belt space than the pancake Raven-style Kydex pouches.

Chuck Haggard
10-04-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm carrying pretty much nothing but Glocks and J frames now, and have found those cheap little plastic Glock mag pouches are pretty damn good kit for concealed carry.

koj11
10-04-2014, 10:08 PM
I really like Dale Fricke's horizontal mag pouch.

Rich
10-05-2014, 07:19 AM
Well since I don't tuck in my shirt! I use a Wilderness Horizontal double stack mag holsters.

Its made of Nylon and Kydex . The mag holder forms to your magazine. It Velcro`s on your belt for easy off/on.

I carry my horizontal mag holder between 11-12 . It makes for a fast reload . Plus its 100% comfortable unlike vertical mag holders.

Its also the best H mag holder I've found in the last 30+yrs.

I'm also a huge fan of the wilderness 5 stitch belt .

Rich
10-05-2014, 07:24 AM
For 1911 mags, I really like the Wilderness cordura pouches (http://www.thewilderness.com/magazine-speedloader-and-ammo-carriers/pistol-mag-pouch-single-stack-updated/) (vertical version). They hold the mags in tight to the waistline and have good retention. I wasn't as fond of the same design for double-stack mags, though. It seems to work best with thin single-stacks.

For my Beretta, I use an old late-90s-vintage BladeTech pouch, with integral belt loop. It seems to hold the mag in a lot tighter to the waist than the more modern ones with the Tek-Lok attachment, and they take up significantly less belt space than the pancake Raven-style Kydex pouches.

The Wilderness H mag holders work great with my P229 40cal 12rd mags and my slick P30 15rd 9mm mags

Haven't tried the vertical wilderness mag holders.