PDA

View Full Version : What's it all for?

MDS
07-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Why do you we do what we do? Fun? Excitement? Compensating for something? Besides opening yourself up for all kinds of jabs and jokes, if you consider these questions, you get to some pretty sobering places pretty quick. I've been very clear for a long time about my priorities and motivations. On June 30, at 2:44am, I got another reason for doing what I do:

I haven't slept much over the last couple of weeks, let alone dry-fired or read the forums, let alone hit the range. I'll be interested to see how a period of no practice affects my performance when I make it to the range next week. In any case, it's funny how motivating those pink, wiggly, wrinkled little things can be...

Kyle Reese
07-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Congrats, man! :cool:

rsa-otc
07-08-2011, 05:54 AM
It's the best experience in the world, bar none. Congrats

Ga Shooter
07-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Congrats!! "Blessed is the man who has a quiver full"

ToddG
07-08-2011, 06:20 AM
Congrats, man!

VolGrad
07-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Congrats. Babies are awesome.

mnealtx
07-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Congrats!

NickA
07-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Congratulations! and don't forget to take care of Mom. Now that my daughter is leaving toddlerhood, some of my best memories are feeding and talking to her in the middle of the night when she was small. Cherish every moment!

turbolag23
07-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Congrats!

LittleLebowski
07-08-2011, 09:59 AM
That is indeed what it is all for. Otherwise, to paraphrase Fight Club: Shit you own ends up owning you.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMAG0206.jpg

MDS
07-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks! I definitely cherish the moments - the oldest is 20 months and those midnight sagas with him are a legend in my own mind. On the one hand I'm happy just holding babies and singing for my life; on the other hand, I can't wait until they're old enough to go camping and etc. (Already planning the winter outdoor activities in SoFla. I figure the oldest will be 2 years old - that's old enough for at least a little car camping, yeah? Only one way to find out...) Still, it can be frustrating to think of that SIRT gathering dust and my hard-earned 9-second runs on The Test going down the tubes. The frustration is part of what makes it memorable, I'm convinced.

Also, LL's pic reminds me: I need a tougher dog. The schnauzer can barely handle one boy, I'm pretty sure two boys would end him sooner or later...

Chefdog
07-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Congratulations! Hope everyone is happy and healthy.

And it's funny to see those same baby blankets in every hospital in the country!

Odin Bravo One
07-09-2011, 01:08 AM
My Godson was born on Sept 11th, 2001, and he got his intro to the outdoors and shooting sports the day before he turned two. Got his first confirmed ground squirrel that day. So yeah, i think you are good for a 2 year old for some car camping. May as well break out a .22 while you are at it...........

While your shooting may suffer slightly for spending a little time off the gun, in the end, you will be in much better shape with spending more hands on time with the babies than with the SIRT.............

Congrats!!! Wish you all the best.

ubervic
07-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks! I definitely cherish the moments - the oldest is 20 months and those midnight sagas with him are a legend in my own mind. On the one hand I'm happy just holding babies and singing for my life; on the other hand, I can't wait until they're old enough to go camping and etc. (Already planning the winter outdoor activities in SoFla. I figure the oldest will be 2 years old - that's old enough for at least a little car camping, yeah? Only one way to find out...) Still, it can be frustrating to think of that SIRT gathering dust and my hard-earned 9-second runs on The Test going down the tubes. The frustration is part of what makes it memorable, I'm convinced.

Also, LL's pic reminds me: I need a tougher dog. The schnauzer can barely handle one boy, I'm pretty sure two boys would end him sooner or later...

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!

The time/opportunity to continue working the craft comes and goes when kids are in the picture. But there will be plenty of time in due course.

I was a frequent clay shooter when my first was born 14 years ago. I then fell completely out of shooting for a long time and then actually enjoyed the renewed challenge of getting back into it once life got a little more manageable. I had become semi-competitive with skeet & clays after that.....and then I bailed out again when my 2nd was born.

I missed shooting while I was deeply involved with figuring out how to begin raising a family. But you know what? As I look back, I cherish all the memories of being with the kids when they were so small and watching them grow, and I am so glad that I didn't miss any of it for the sake of shooting more at the time.

Enjoy your growing family. It's 10 times more work than you ever feared it would be, but it's also 100 times more rewarding than you could ever dream.

MDS
07-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks again for the good words, guys. Sean M, I'm about to go to bed -- in my back yard. To make sure the old tent is still serviceable. So yeah, camping plans are solidifying. And I bought an old Marlin 22 bolt rifle a few weeks ago, maybe I'll start working it into the camping/hunting activities this winter with the 2-year-old.

Also, that's some timing on the birth of your Godson... it must bring a whole other dimension to "never forget!"

Dropkick
07-12-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm a little late to the game, but congratulations!