PDA

View Full Version : VP9 Charging Supports

davisj
07-11-2014, 03:18 PM
While I've only fired 100 rounds through my VP9 I've done extensive dry fire and have decided I really don't like the charging supports. They clutter the sight picture too much and get in the way when charging the gun. I called HK USA yesterday and was told it may be Thanksgiving before flush fit supports are available. Given that these appear to be polymer, am I crazy to consider removing them, filing them down to flush and then reinstalling them?

JAD
07-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Nope. They're going to be available as replacement parts. I would personally file them on the gun since I would hate to remove the rear sight.

GJM
07-11-2014, 05:00 PM
I also dislike them. I am having HD sights installed soon, and will be asking the gunsmith to file them down flush, since the OEM parts seem to be a while off. I bet Nyeti a dollar these things disappear as an installed part by 2015.

jetfire
07-11-2014, 05:12 PM
I also dislike them. I am having HD sights installed soon, and will be asking the gunsmith to file them down flush, since the OEM parts seem to be a while off. I bet Nyeti a dollar these things disappear as an installed part by 2015.

Just out of curiosity, what do ya'll not like about them? I found them quite useful for unloaded starts and whatnot.

JHC
07-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, what do ya'll not like about them? I found them quite useful for unloaded starts and whatnot.

Yeah my impression from pics is I would really like them for unloaded starts! I noted earlier last year I fumbled an unloaded start on a heavily sprung Gen 4 G22 in a match in high heat and humidity.

GJM
07-11-2014, 05:23 PM
I hate them for unloaded starts, especially. When you grab the slide, and slingshot it, it is almost impossible to get your fingers out of the way without the wings smacking your fingers. Feels equivalent to getting smacked with the safety on an un-dehorned Beretta 92, when running the Beretta slide vigorously. Really gets old dry firing, when repeatedly working the slide. I tried using the front serrations, as Wayne/Darryl do, and the rear wings still manage to hit my fingers. I find the front and rear serrations on a P30, which are similar to the VP9, to be excellent without the additions of the wings. Ingenious solution, with pain, to a nonexistent problem for 90+ percent of shooters.

Joe, there is no comparison between the serrations on a Glock and an HK VP9/P30 -- the HK serrations are much deeper and grippier.

LtDave
07-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Somebody has got to be developing some neat aftermarket fillers in various colors, maybe glow in the dark?

abu fitna
07-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Next thing you know it will be ir glint tape for operators that want to pretend they have ever used a set of nvgs

Then some bright marketing type will make them LED to charge the photlum sights. :p avoids the new idpa ban. And lets the cool kids go all drift or whatever.

YVK
07-11-2014, 11:24 PM
One has to believe somebody will come up with a mini-RDS mount fitting in those slots.

JDM
07-11-2014, 11:25 PM
One has to believe somebody will come up with a mini-RDS mount fitting in those slots.

Really, really good idea.

Greg Bell
07-12-2014, 12:26 AM
I am obsessed with the idea that Cav-arms or tapco will come up with some sort of oversized charging handle--like one of those really goofy three-gun shotgun chargers.

hufnagel
07-12-2014, 06:10 AM

Really, really good idea.

Would you have it dovetail into the rear sight and then have supports slide down into the charge support slots? Or just have it mount in the charge support slots.

BobLoblaw
07-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Would you have it dovetail into the rear sight and then have supports slide down into the charge support slots? Or just have it mount in the charge support slots.

Placing it in the charging voids and sliding a piece through the dovetail like an upside X300 would be cool. Or even better: put it in the charging voids and reinstall your rear irons to lock it in.