PDA

View Full Version : SureFire Institute - Anyone with 1st hand experience?

Shellback
07-10-2014, 03:34 PM
I've trained with a dozen different instructors in the past, I'm looking to expand my knowledge base, and am wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge of SureFire Institute (https://www.surefireinstitute.com/facility/las-vegas-nevada) in Las Vegas or their instructors (https://www.surefireinstitute.com/instructors)?

My assumption is that they're a good outfit, with good guys running classes, due to SureFire's reputation in the industry. But, it never hurts to ask around beforehand.

Their website shows a good variety of different classes, encompassing all the usuals, and a few women's only classes which I'm looking at for my wife. I've done a bit of work with her, she wants to attend her first formal class, and I think having an all ladies class for her first time will help relieve some of the anxiety.

Instructor list shows 3 lead instructors:

William Murphy
Douglas Martin
Troy Arce

Corey
07-12-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't have first hand knowledge of the Surefire Institute, but I have heard good things about it, particularly their low light training.

I do have first hand knowledge of Bill Murphy and Troy Arce. Both a great guys and I would recommend them as instructors. Both have been instructors at Gunsite for many years (which is where I know them from). Bill is with Huntington Beach PD in California and Troy's background is Air Force Pararescue.

If you go ahead and do a class with Surefire, give us a report.

Shellback
07-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your input Corey. I plan on taking a class in the near future and will update with a report after.

Shellback
07-14-2014, 11:48 AM
For future reference, the email response I just received from Surefire manufacturing:

Hello Irish,

SureFire institute is a separate entity, however we maintain a very close working relationship with them.

We highly recommend them for any type of tactical training.

Thomas Carlson
Public Relations
SUREFIRE

RJ
04-27-2016, 07:25 PM
It so happens I'm in Boulder City NV until Tuesday.

Does anyone have any recent experiences with SFI here in NV? I'm thinking of seeing if they could do a couple hours of private instruction over the next day or so.

Mr Pink
04-28-2016, 05:57 PM
I took a class from them many years ago. It was their 5-day instructor course. Overall I thought it was a good course because of the NEW and interesting techniques they taught. In my opinion everything I needed was taught in the first day and the rest was just practical application, mostly force on force. There were a few things I did not agree with, but overall i left satisfied. Non of the instructors I had, work for SFI today.

What course do you plan on attending?

RJ
04-28-2016, 06:38 PM
I took a class from them many years ago. It was their 5-day instructor course. Overall I thought it was a good course because of the NEW and interesting techniques they taught. In my opinion everything I needed was taught in the first day and the rest was just practical application, mostly force on force. There were a few things I did not agree with, but overall i left satisfied. Non of the instructors I had, work for SFI today.

What course do you plan on attending?

Thanks for the info.

I'm on the hunt for an hour or two of specific evaluation of grip, press and stance for increasing my static accuracy.

Here in the Vegas area, I see a lot of Walter Mitty Doorkicker Shoot 'em up full Auto Gun Girl Pick You Up at Your Hotel 'experiences', which I'm not, quite frankly, too interested in. From the SFI web site, the options they have seem more oriented to multi day LEO/.mil skill sets. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

DI1
04-28-2016, 06:59 PM
I'm a Surefire certified instructor and know Bill and Doug well.
I would recommend the 1 day low light tactics class or the low light pistol class.
Both are good introductory classes for low light/flashlight use.
Bill and Doug are excellent instructors. I don't know Troy.
I'm not sure what the cost of these classes are currently and have not trained at the new Las Vegas facility.