PDA

View Full Version : RELOADING

htxp30
07-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Want to start reloading due to cost and bad experience with LGunner. Also have the time to do it and I'm thinking I want more control of quality of rounds. Thanks to V/T for providing me great info on what to get but would like someone in Houston that reloads that I could talk with or maybe watch reload since I'm a newbie at reloading.
I am in the process of getting a Dillon 650XL.

C.

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

George Shaw

1986s4
07-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Dillon 650XL, good choice. I think there are videos available specifically for reloading with the 650XL. Check the Brian Enos forum, those guys do know their reloading.

SecondsCount
07-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I have been very happy with the XL650. My wife purchased it for me about a year ago and I have loaded 40 S&W and 45 ACP on it totalling 5500 rounds.

The only issue I have had is that the metal plate that holds the completed round bin will start to bend if it has more than 100 rounds of 45 in it. When it bends, it will start to rub on the ram and eventually will jam it. I make sure to dump it in another container whenever I refill the primer tube.

What calibers will you be reloading?

JM Campbell
07-10-2011, 12:27 PM
I have a Lee LoadMaser, not great but not the worst. I've been looking at the Dillons, why the 650 over the 550? I've never used them so some insight would be good before I upgrade. I'm just reloading 9mm now.

SecondsCount
07-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I have had two friends that purchased Loadmasters and within a year bought Dillons. Lee is the Taurus of reloading and while I have some of their equipment, (first press was a Lee single stage) I know the limitations and use them accordingly.

The 550 is a good solid press and is the first Dillon I purchased. They are simpler so I recommend them to people that have more time for loading or will be changing setups often for different calibers, etc. If you are looking for a press to spend a little more time setting up but will reward you with a ton of ammo fast, the 650 with the casefeeder can't be beat. Unless of course you have a 1050. :cool:

htxp30
07-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Did some research and read forums and Dillon loaders kept coming up#1. Especially like their no BS warranty.
Want to say thanks again to virginia tactical for all his help and insights.
I will reload 9mm and 40 cal for me and my son, which is another reason while I'm going the reloading route.

Prdator
07-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Im sold on my Dillon 650 and want a 1050 when $ will allow it. I've loaded several thousand rounds now of 9mm and .40 and have had very few problems with my Dillon and the few I've had were promptly corrected by a Call to Dillon and free parts sent to me ASAP!!

virginiatactical
07-10-2011, 09:59 PM
I have a Lee LoadMaser, not great but not the worst. I've been looking at the Dillons, why the 650 over the 550? I've never used them so some insight would be good before I upgrade. I'm just reloading 9mm now.

Skyline here are the reasons I would recommend the 650 over the 550.

1) The 650 has auto indexing and the 550 does not. This not saves you just time, but its one less thing you have to do so you can focus on the other tasks which are extremely important.

2) The 650 can do rifle ammo with a casefeeder, and the 550 can only do it without a casefeeder (if you ever choose to reload rifle ammo you have the option to do so at a later time)

3) The 650 has 5 stations vs 4 stations of the 550. This is great for a myriad of reasons, you can use that extra station for the following things:

You can add a powder check system to the reloader for added prevenative measures
You can add a bullet feeder to your press if you ever decide to go that route
You can add a light source to aid you in being able to see if your powder charge is in the casing (something that I do on everysingle round before i manually insert a bullet in the casing).

4) The 650 churns out 1,000 rounds per hour, and the 550 churns out 550 rounds per hour.

5) You get all these benefits ... for just $130 more ...

There are also a couple negatives .... The 650 takes some extra time to do a caliber conversion, and also the caliber conversion for the 650 are more expensive overall then the 550 conversions. I also just reload 9mm though, and I don't have to worry about caliber conversions. The 650 is also more complex then the 550.

I personally would love a 1050, but it only comes with a 1 year warranty. I am extremely satisfied with my 650XL ... as I know that as long as I am alive I get parts to me no questions asked. This is huge ... and as I am sure other dillon owners can chime in ... shit breaks, and dillon will mail you the broken part if you just call them. They have AMAZING customer service. This is why I prefer the 650 over the 1050.

Did some research and read forums and Dillon loaders kept coming up#1. Especially like their no BS warranty.
Want to say thanks again to virginia tactical for all his help and insights.
I will reload 9mm and 40 cal for me and my son, which is another reason while I'm going the reloading route.

Your quite welcome Htxp30, I do implore you to check what I suggested and talked to you via email with some other credible sources. Brian Enos forums are a bunch of USPSA / 3 Gun guys and you will find a significant amount of information on reloading there. You could also lurk around your nearest USPSA club and ask the match director. I don't know how its like in Texas, but in VA most USPSA guys are really good to go and are also very helpfull. My mentors on reloading were a CCW instructor out here in VA, and a USPSA / 3 Gun Guy. They both helped me out tremendously and I am very glad I received their help. I honestly don't know if I could have figured everything out on my own. Remember practice makes permanent ... perfect practice makes perfect!

Dillon 650XL, good choice. I think there are videos available specifically for reloading with the 650XL. Check the Brian Enos forum, those guys do know their reloading.

+1 on enos! There are videos for the 650XL, and my ex bought me the video when she bought me my press (it was an EAS gift). The video was good, but it was just half the battle.

CCT125US
07-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Not to sound like a broken record but I too load on a Dillon 650. I currently load .380, 9mm, .40, and .45 on my Dillon. I know others have recommended the videos on setup and production as do I and that is very good advice. However, what I have seen is people who are not so much mechanically inclined attempt to get into reloading. Now I feel anything can be learned with enough practice, but I highly recommend that anyone new to reloading start loading with a single stage or turret press and take the time to learn the finer points of reloading and how small changes on one station can affect the end result. With a progressives in general, and Dillon for sure, keep in mind that you will be doing 8 things at once with a single pull of the handle ( casefeed, size / deprime, powder drop / case mouth bell, prime, powder check, seat, crimp). It can be slightly frustrating at first to mess up a specification on one station and then have to trouble shoot how to fix it by yourself. This might mean using a friends or being mentored like has been mentioned in prior posts. However, you may be the kind of person who has a great aptitude for all things mechanical and are able to pick it up with no problem. Just some food for thought and only the reloader knows their own ability and potential.

htxp30
07-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks to all for your insights with extra thanks to Noel at Virginia/Tactical. I am currently in the process of finding someone that reloads to pick their brains and learn from their experience.
#1 thing in my mind is safety in reloading, that's why before I even start to reload I will learn as much as possible from experienced reloaders.
Anyone near the Houston area that reloads or knows of a USPCA club close any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to all.

Craig
HTXP30

EricP
07-11-2011, 07:28 PM
This is a great book about the tools, materials, and processes of reloading. Having a decent understanding of the topic will greatly help in producing the quality of ammo that you want, safely. It will also help you to deal with the problems that you will likely have.