PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 SPX

jlw
07-06-2014, 07:29 PM
I've always run a pump shotgun and have never really given self-loaders a look, but Erik Lund makes a pretty good case for them, and it is has me considering giving one a try although I'm still not sure it is a road I want to travel.

I've also looked at the Beretta 1301 and some of the Benelli offerings, but for some reason my attention keeps coming back to this 930. I've read a good bit about them on the interweb, and it seems that they are fine with buckshot and slugs but can be iffy with low powered birdshot.

I'd appreciate some first hand feedback.

Being iffy with birdshot isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me as long as it runs fine with social ammo, but it would be nice to be able to have some lower cost fun time.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-autoloading-mossberg-930-special-purpose-spx-8-shot/85360

https://www.mossberg.com/assets/scripts/timthumb.php?w=625&zc=0&src=https://www.mossberg.com/sites/default/files/1329415468/%2385360_930SPX.png

Mike C
07-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Jlw, I had a 930SPX and was pretty fortunate. Mine ran bird, buck or slug without any issues. It seems to be hit or miss though. One of my friends who picked his up the same day had major issues with bird shot but would run buck and slug without issue. For what it was and at the price point it wasn't a bad shotgun at all. I like the sights and the safety was exactly where it should be on a shotgun though that is largely preferential. Flat top is nice and the ghost ring rear wasn't bad. I am not a huge on scatter guns nor do I have a ton of experience so take what I say with a grain of salt.

JWinTN
07-06-2014, 08:10 PM
I had a 930 SPX and a 930 JM Pro. I no longer have them. I do still have a shipping box that I kept in case I had to send them back to Mossberg again. Currently using an FN SLP.

Both of mine did run everything I fed them, barring semi-frequent light strikes on Walmart Federal value loads. I used mostly low-recoil slug and shot and Winchester value pack loads. The ghost ring sights on the SPX, while good for slug shots, were slower than just a bead on everything else. If you're going to run a dot, that shouldn't matter.

Search Mossberg 930 on the Enos forums. Lots of info there, especially concerning reliability, though it is of course skewed toward setting them up for 3-gun.

VolGrad
07-06-2014, 08:41 PM
I had an early one. Mine was a single shot version. It made a trip back for service and was promptly relieved from inventory upon its return. Too bad. I liked the ergos and recoil was very mild. My wife even said it wasn't bad .... Unfortunately, only One shot at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry if some of the words don't make sense. I promise I'm literate.

jetfire
07-06-2014, 10:30 PM
I have a 930 SPX which runs everything. You have to clean that motherlover on the reg to keep it running. Like, actually clean it.

Unobtanium
07-11-2014, 04:54 AM
I'd spend the extra and get the 1301.