PDA

View Full Version : Brighter NS

Rich
07-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Why hasn't there been any improvements as far as brightness goes.

Seem like we should be able to come up with a brighter tritium NS.

I would be happy if they could make them as bright as the P30 painted sights.

Spr1
07-06-2014, 07:56 AM
If your eyes are dark adapted, it is easy for an illuminated sight to be too bright.

Chuck Haggard
07-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Because physics?

If a dude wants some crazy bright night sights then look no further than the Ameriglo versions with the line green extra glow paint stuff on the sights. A quick hit with a bright handheld makes your front sight so bright as to be almost unusable inside a dark house.

Rich
07-06-2014, 10:31 AM
I guess my first experience with NS wasn't so great.

Back in 1995 I wanted to go 9mm and bought a M5906 & M6906 they came with the Novak NS.
All was good for a year or so then they became dim and useless.

The glow painted sights are growing on me. I love the brightness of my P30S FS , works well with my SRT Detective 750 lumen flashlight using neck index.
BTW I blacken out the 2 dot rear sight.

I wouldn't want anything brighter than my glow painted P30 sights.

I guess I'm wanting tritium FS sights that are equal in brightness to my P30 sights

littlejerry
07-06-2014, 01:19 PM
I guess my first experience with NS wasn't so great.

Back in 1995 I wanted to go 9mm and bought a M5906 & M6906 they came with the Novak NS.
All was good for a year or so then they became dim and useless.

The glow painted sights are growing on me. I love the brightness of my P30S FS , works well with my SRT Detective 750 lumen flashlight using neck index.
BTW I blacken out the 2 dot rear sight.

I wouldn't want anything brighter than my glow painted P30 sights.

I guess I'm wanting tritium FS sights that are equal in brightness to my P30 sights

There is no secret sauce with tritium. It has a fixed half life and will glow the same regardless of where it comes from. If you have more of it you'll have more glow. Less = less glow.

You have 12 years before you lose half your brightness but this is an exponential decay, so the first couple of years see the bulk of the decay and it asymptotically approaches 0.

JAD
07-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Unless you change the batteries.

Byron
07-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Unless you change the batteries.
No, no, no, no. Tritium is radioactive. That radioactivity leaks out the front of the sight: that's why you see light. When they've leaked too long, you've got to microwave them: that stuffs fresh radioactivity back into the sight and makes them glow brightly again.

Consult the owner's manual for your sights to see the right nuke time based on your microwave's wattage.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

23JAZ
07-06-2014, 05:45 PM
No, no, no, no. Tritium is radioactive. That radioactivity leaks out the front of the sight: that's why you see light. When they've leaked too long, you've got to microwave them: that stuffs fresh radioactivity back into the sight and makes them glow brightly again.

Consult the owner's manual for your sights to see the right nuke time based on your microwave's wattage.

Whoever tries that please post pics so I can see the results!

RJ
07-06-2014, 08:58 PM

Two things:

1) I never knew that about tritium sights. I'll have to give that there microwave thing a try.

2) Your sig is AWESOME. Just finished up the last season of 'Justified'. Best show I've seen in ages.

JV_
07-07-2014, 05:45 AM
1) I never knew that about tritium sights. I'll have to give that there microwave thing a try.Uh .... it was a joke.

Rich
07-07-2014, 05:46 AM
There is no secret sauce with tritium. It has a fixed half life and will glow the same regardless of where it comes from. If you have more of it you'll have more glow. Less = less glow.

You have 12 years before you lose half your brightness but this is an exponential decay, so the first couple of years see the bulk of the decay and it asymptotically approaches 0.

In Oct 2013 I traded in my 1995 M6906. The sights were still dim. I was amazed it still showed dim.

Most of the time I'm out in about at night I'm going to the store or out to eat . The parking lots are lit up pretty well. Same with my house there are lots of streetlights . The only time it really got Dark was in Charlie knock out the electricity for over 2 weeks.

I'm surprised no one really wants a brighter Tritium NS like the glow paint sights offer?

RJ
07-07-2014, 06:03 AM
Uh .... it was a joke.

Got it. :)

MSparks909
07-07-2014, 08:03 PM
This might be just me...but after I fire one or two shots at night I find tritium sights to be essentially useless and perform similarly to straight black sights or fiber optic sights. The flash from firing overpowers what little light the sights emit and I am not able to visually acquire them in multiple strings of fire at night. YMMV.

TR675
07-07-2014, 09:52 PM
What kind of ammo are you using? I had this happen to me with cheapo FMJ; not so much later on that night using Winchester ranger. The flash suppressants in that powder really helped.

JAD
07-07-2014, 10:26 PM
The flash from firing overpowers what little light the sights emit

~That's~ how you're supposed to charge luminova sights in a gunfight -- fire for effect!

MSparks909
07-08-2014, 09:17 AM
What kind of ammo are you using? I had this happen to me with cheapo FMJ; not so much later on that night using Winchester ranger. The flash suppressants in that powder really helped.

I noticed it with both range FMJ and my preferred carry load, Speer GD 124 +P. It was less pronounced with the Speer GD compared to the FMJ, but it was still causing issues. I removed the tritium front sight and installed a red FO front sight. Laser grips are the way to go for night shooting IMO.

TR675
07-08-2014, 10:01 AM
I noticed it with both range FMJ and my preferred carry load, Speer GD 124 +P.

Gotcha. I did a night shoot at a Hackathorn class under the new moon. Everyone brought their carry ammo; IIRC I was using Gold Dots too. Again IIRC the guys shooting Winchester had by far the lowest flash of anyone, FWIW.

Laser grips are the way to go for night shooting IMO.

Couldn't agree more. I have an M&P9c with night sights and CT - I tried using them both during different strings in a low-light match in Memphis. Under stress, for me picking up the night sights was not easy, but the laser was easy and fast, plus I could focus on the targets and discriminate between shoots and no shoots much more effectively.