PDA

View Full Version : Sooo... why not shoulder holsters?

Magic_Salad0892
07-02-2014, 10:26 PM
I understand that you muzzle sweep anybody on your off side... but besides that...

I feel like it'd be pretty much ideal for somebody who sits a lot, and sits in a car a lot.

Thoughts? Pros, cons?

SAWBONES
07-02-2014, 10:38 PM
As you note, those who spend a large part of their time sitting, whether at a desk or driving, may find CCW with a shoulder rig to be a better choice than with a hip holster or AIWB, both as regards access and comfort.

Shoulder rigs are also useful for those with back injuries that make hip carry uncomfortable.

"Muzzle sweeping" can certainly be avoided with a shoulder rig draw, and this is just one of the "straw man" arguments some people make against the use of shoulder rigs.

Shoulder holsters are a niche application among CCW methods; not typically the best choice for the most people, but still a viable approach for some folks, and some circumstances.

Magic_Salad0892
07-02-2014, 10:51 PM
"Muzzle sweeping" can certainly be avoided with a shoulder rig draw

How so?

JRCHolsters
07-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Not my first choice. That said, I absolutely wear one when my back is really bothering me. After a couple of surgeries, sometimes that is just the option that works for the moment.

Jack Ryan
07-02-2014, 11:38 PM
I understand that you muzzle sweep anybody on your off side... but besides that...

I feel like it'd be pretty much ideal for somebody who sits a lot, and sits in a car a lot.

Thoughts? Pros, cons?

I've got three of them. One for a Redhawk, one for my 1911, one that fits my single six. Every once in a while I get them out and try one for a specific application and they just never really feel right for it after you have one on 10 minutes. Under a coat and out hunting, you may as well wear it on the outside. It get's covered with sweat and condensation. It's NOT easy to draw from one. It's not all that more concealed than a cross draw, it's almost the same position.

They just seem like one of those things that seem like a good idea at the time when you buy it and never lives up to the promise when you try to use it.

SecondsCount
07-02-2014, 11:52 PM
I wear it when I take the white Lambo out on a cool Miami night. :cool:

The Galco that I have is for a S&W 4506 if I remember correctly. The last time I wore it was to a poker game, with a S&W 745. Wish I had it when I had to wear a tux to a wedding a few years ago when I discovered that the tux pants didn't have a way to hold a belt.

They aren't terrible but there is a ton of material against you so if it is warm you tend to sweat everywhere it is making contact.

When I was a kid and we had cap gun wars, it was the way I carried my Edison Giocattoli Jaguarmatic in an old leather tanker holster.

Hizzie
07-03-2014, 12:18 AM
I've used them and like them for certain purposes.

Suvorov
07-03-2014, 12:31 AM
While not exactly the same as a shoulder holster, I wore a tanker rig for years while ironically - in a tank.

Never had to deploy the pistol for real, but did use it on the range and at competitions (to some raised eyebrows - what could they say, it was issue). There was the sweep issue, but depending on how you wear it, the gun can sit pretty vertically on your chest so you can prevent sweeping others with some practice. Big deal is that it was way slow compared to a hip holster especially with the retention strap. If I were in the need to CCW using a shoulder holster, I would probably just wear a tanker rig under the arm.

I now wear a hip holster in similar but slightly less cramped but usually seated conditions. Big difference is that I don't have to lower myself through hatches where a hip holster can get snagged up. Seems to me there really wasn't a better option for carrying a pistol in a tank, but outside of that role, a hip holster will beats it hands down.

Josh Runkle
07-03-2014, 12:55 AM
How so?

One option:

If you are right handed: lift your left arm up like a chicken wing. Draw gun with right hand, keeping gun along body and drawing into a Sul position (but temporarily without support hand behind gun). You can relax the chicken wing and either move hand in behind gun and extend, or begin a one handed pressout where two hands meet in the middle. With practice, this can be done very quickly, however, it can be hard to do in a seated position in a vehicle, where the shoulder holster is ideal.

GardoneVT
07-03-2014, 02:26 AM
They work great if you're sitting down a lot, or carrying a large handgun like a big caliber revolver and don't want a 2.5lb pistol in your pants.

Otherwise, IMO, skip it. When Don Johnson filmed certain scenes he wasn't wearing the shoulder holster, and for good reason:concealment requires a dark jacket which must be retained at all times.
Lean against a wall, and the muzzle of the weapon can hit the wall with a loud and distinct "clunk". Running my Miami Classic at the range revealed that two hands are required for re-holstering, and reload times using the off side mag pouch can be counted with a calendar. Most of the time I got the weapon out easily. Sometimes I'd grab the cover garment and it would want to come with the gun.

Speaking of magazines, in using my Miami Classic 2 the gravity fit magazine holders dropped my mags twice in over a year of using it daily. That can ruin the mood in a hurry, hearing and feeling your spare mags clink to the ground near your feet mid conversation. Lastly, after 8+hours of use my shoulders would start to ache, because there's no getting around the fact that two magazines don't outweigh a loaded pistol. If you're carrying a polymer frame gun it's not so bad, but a metal pistol is going to outweigh the spare magazines and cause the holster rig to feel lopsided after a while.

Lastly, practice with one at any reputable range is verboten for obvious reasons. One can join an IDPA/USPSA league and practice live fire with their waistband holster. The same definitely cannot be said of shoulder holsters, and the only way to know you won't botch the draw with this system is live fire practice. Unless the user can shoot on their own private property, the only way they'll get live fire experience is if they have to draw and shoot during a defensive incident.

For health reasons I completely understand wearing one. Otherwise, I'd stick with waistband carry. My $175 shoulder rig is on closet detail now.

Magic_Salad0892
07-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Seems legit. Thanks, guys. Saved me $200.

Rich
07-03-2014, 06:48 AM
In the 80`s wore a shoulder holster for a short time.

Its only good for when it cool enough for a jacket.

I like mine because it allowed me to carry 2 extra 15rd magazines and carry a second handgun IWB

ffhounddog
07-03-2014, 07:06 AM
I wear one in my bathrobe. Also good to keep gun and mags together if you are sleeping and things go bump in the night. It has its uses.

SAWBONES
07-03-2014, 09:21 AM
How so?

What Joshrunkle35 said, also with a vertical (muzzle down) rig, the draw can wholly avoid the occurrence of inadvertent muzzle sweeping of the offside arm.

And just as an aside, but in a related vein, it may be worth mentioning that while we all strive to obey Col. Cooper's pithy and very sensible 4 Rules, there are nonetheless many times when the gun muzzle isn't wholly avoiding being pointed at or extremely near to something we're "not willing to see destroyed", especially when holstering (cf. especially, but not only, AIWB), and that adherence to at least two of those 4 Rules (but ESPECIALLY Rule 3) at any given time and circumstance will typically be sufficient to prevent catastrophes.

And no, I'm not suggesting that any of the Rules be abrogated or ignored, but some people do treat them downright superstitiously, for instance being afraid that a "horizontal" shoulder holster is "sweeping everyone behind you"; C'Mon, there's active gun-handling and administrative gun-handling. Where's the muzzle pointing when the gun is in the safe? in the drawer? being cleaned? in the holster? The Rules apply to active gun-handling.

NEPAKevin
07-03-2014, 10:07 AM
In one of his books, Ayoob mentions shoulder rigs being convenient for older gents who have to go to the bathroom often giving the example of Fish, Abe Vigoda's character from Barney Miller. In a thread here, not too long ago, it was opined that shoulder holsters are also a panty dropper. While I have not been privy to this phenomena, like Mulder, I want to believe.

Chuck Whitlock
07-03-2014, 10:17 AM
The phrase "It depends" applies a lot here.

There is a world of difference between a field holster for your hunting hogleg and a rig designed for concealment. A smaller gun, high in the armpit in a horizontal rig, can be quite concealable and not at all uncomfortable depending on the type of cover garment worn.

I spent a couple of years in a plainclothes assignment, where my primary was a G17 or G22 on my hip, along with spare mags, cuffs, light, and radio with ear bud/lapel mic. Since I wore slacks and a blazer, my BUG was a Kahr K40 in a Sam Andrews Solo shoulder rig. Reholstering is a two handed affair, but it was comfortable and accessible to either hand, and far faster than an ankle rig. Spare mag for the Kahr was in the left front pocket in a DeSantis pocket mag holder.

The same rig worked well under a short waisted leather flight jacket that was partially zipped, as well as a tucked in bush- or heavy work-type shirt as long as it was generous around the chest area.

Having said that......some time after that assignment and trading the Kahr off for a G27, I acquired a Galco jackass rig for a Glock 17, which I modified to mimic the Solo with elastic on the offside. Miserable failure, do to the placement of the attachment points on the holster body, and that ALL the weight on the G27 was in the butt. the gun constantly wanted to sag into a muzzle up position.

So, a properly designed rig, with a proper weapon, with attention to the proper clothing, and consideration of body shape, can be a very effective concealment option.

Maple Syrup Actual
07-03-2014, 10:59 AM
In a thread here, not too long ago, it was opined that shoulder holsters are also a panty dropper. While I have not been privy to this phenomena, like Mulder, I want to believe.

I tested this theory with an Alessi Bodyguard and a Baer UTC. Early indications are that it is highly effective.

The big thing I dislike about shoulder holsters is that if you're close to someone who doesn't like you, and that someone is right-handed just like you, and you don't know how much they dislike you until they're very close, you might find that the orientation of your gun is way more convenient for them than for you.

Dragging somebody's arm across the chest is usually a goal for me when things are getting grabby. People who are prepared to do that for me prior to producing a gun...well, that's just gravy.

RoyGBiv
07-03-2014, 11:14 AM
What Joshrunkle35 said, also with a vertical (muzzle down) rig, the draw can wholly avoid the occurrence of inadvertent muzzle sweeping of the offside arm.
When I took my first CC qual (NC, 1996-ish?), as I was heading out the door to the range I couldn't find my OWB holster. Wound up wearing an Uncle Mike's nylon shoulder rig that I only used for hunting. Glock 17.

When I got to the line (about 20 shooters firing simultaneously back then), the Sheriffs Deputy running the range stares at me and says "If I see you sweep anyone drawing from that holster I'll disqualify you immediately". (the timed qual was draw and fire. One flyer gets you disqualified, IIRC). The guy stood next to me (I was on the end) for the first two courses of fire. No pressure. :D

Didn't have any trouble passing. Didn't muzzle anything other than the ground. The only hassle was that I was slowest to re-holster between rounds.

Wheeler
07-03-2014, 11:35 AM
I've tried shoulder holsters and a tanker style holster while hunting. The tanker rig isn't bad for long term carry with a 4" Model 12. The shoulder rig with a 4" Model 28 was an annoyance after about an hour and a half. That was a Galco rig by the way. I still prefer either to a belt holster while hunting, on a four wheeler or on the tractor.

Trooper224
07-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Years ago I used a shoulder holster, a Galco Jackass, while I was having lower back issues. For that use it was a real godsend. I've also found one to be quite useful when taking long road trips in a vehicle. I consider it a niche system: it does a few things quite well but isn't my first choice for a primary carry system. Most in my profession won't consider one for any reason simply to avoid the inevitable Miami Vice comments sure to follow.

Magic_Salad0892
07-04-2014, 01:20 AM
it was opined that shoulder holsters are also a panty dropper.

Go on....

Magic_Salad0892
07-04-2014, 01:22 AM
The big thing I dislike about shoulder holsters is that if you're close to someone who doesn't like you, and that someone is right-handed just like you, and you don't know how much they dislike you until they're very close, you might find that the orientation of your gun is way more convenient for them than for you.

This was a concern of mine as well.

gunner76
07-12-2014, 12:38 PM
I started wearing a shoulder holster in the winter. It's more comfortable when I drive and a normal winter coat conceals everything easily.

JohnO
07-12-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm going to be doing a 2000 mile road trip later this year. (1K out & 1K back) I just might dig out a Galco jackass rig for a 19/23 I picked up 20+ years ago from a bargain bin. Actually the last time I did the trip I carried a G30 in a Comp-Tac OWB kydex belt holster and it worked fine. Yeah the more I think about it the shoulder rig just isn't what I am used to using and would probably be way to weird on the muscle memory if I actually needed to draw.

Hizzie
07-12-2014, 01:50 PM
I need to pick up rig for my GP100 Wiley Clapp.

Wheeler
07-12-2014, 08:54 PM
I might add one benefit of being a southpaw is less hinderance from a seatbelt when wearing a strong side holster. :-)

El Cid
12-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Rather than starting a new thread I'll just leave this here since there was good discussion on the subject. I agree with the sentiment of the previous posts - shoulder rigs have limited uses. I have been known to drive straight through to visit family up north (17+ hours) so I see the advantages. I've finished a road trip to find a prefect imprint of my pistol and holster in my hip and my lower back letting me know it's not happy with me. I started looking at the Galco Jackass rig, but I've been carrying with weapon lights for several years now on and off duty. Not wanting to give that up, I started looking for other options.

After a few emails back and forth with Michael of Coffman Concealment we had a plan. He used the Jackass shoulder straps and his Kydex holsters have several attachment points to adjust the angle as needed. I also had him leave the muzzle open for use with a 17 or 34 if I wanted. It's built around the Inforce APL. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0279_1_zpsf6aa37e9.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0278_1_zps37bdafdb.jpg